ImageImageImageImageImage

Michael Lee: Wizards Brass turned down Harden

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Re: Michael Lee: Wizards Brass turned down Harden 

Post#41 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 am

Jay81 wrote:in all fairness...is harden worth the same max contract as a Lebron...especially after his dismal showing in the playoffs. I could see where Ted might hesistate to blow the wad on a shooting guard. Maybe he has hire aspirations Love..D howard,etc

Harden was great during the playoffs. Finals? Not so much.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#42 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:11 am

Personally, I think Ted and Ernie were idiots for not making this deal. However, I seem to recall that many people on this board said that they would not trade Beal for Harden because of the way Harden played in the playoofs and "because Beal could be just as good as Harden at a fraction of the cost." Its kind of funny to see the uproar now.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#43 » by Jay81 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 am

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Jay81 wrote:in all fairness...is harden worth the same max contract as a Lebron...especially after his dismal showing in the playoffs. I could see where Ted might hesistate to blow the wad on a shooting guard. Maybe he has hire aspirations Love..D howard,etc

Harden was great during the playoffs. Finals? Not so much.

sorry man..i meant the finals
Jay81
Starter

Post#44 » by Jay81 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Personally, I think Ted and Ernie were idiots for not making this deal. However, I seem to recall that many people on this board said that they would not trade Beal for Harden because of the way Harden played in the playoofs and "because Beal could be just as good as Harden at a fraction of the cost." Its kind of funny to see the uproar now.

I dont think its the trade per say but the notion that we had a chance to bring in a good young established player and we couldnt do it because of the okaforiza trade. Even if we had turned it down....we could of turned to other options if we didnt bank out on these 2 duds
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#45 » by miller31time » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Personally, I think Ted and Ernie were idiots for not making this deal. However, I seem to recall that many people on this board said that they would not trade Beal for Harden because of the way Harden played in the playoofs and "because Beal could be just as good as Harden at a fraction of the cost." Its kind of funny to see the uproar now.

Yeah, I remember people not liking the idea.

I was about as fervent a Beal supporter as there was when we were having the draft discussion but I still remember saying how I'd do the 3rd pick for Harden trade in a NY minute.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#46 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 am

Jay81 wrote:

I dont think its the trade per say but the notion that we had a chance to bring in a good young established player and we couldnt do it because of the okaforiza trade. Even if we had turned it down....we could of turned to other options if we didnt bank out on these 2 duds

Also, Ted/Ernie justified this OkAriza trade with something like "Theres no guarantee we can even get a top tier FA to come here"
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,154

Post#47 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:25 am

This team's fan base is as pathetic as its ownership (or at least how the majority of you see it). You guys bitch when we give up young talent, you bitch when we give players money they don't deserve, you bitch at anything that is slightly beyond your expectations. It's a lose-lose preposition with any move the team makes. Hell, a majority of you were giving up on Beal after game number four without Wall or Nene. Get a grips with yourselves before you call out management, which I know has been anything but perfect. You guys seem to be living in an utopian-rebuild that doesn't exist.

I for one am happy we didn't trade for Harden! Signed, sealed, and delivered.
Jay81
Starter

Post#48 » by Jay81 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:28 am

we also need to be patient with Beal. Look at Hardens first 2 years. Beal is going to end up having better numbers in compairson.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#49 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:29 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:This team's fan base is as pathetic as its ownership (or at least how the majority of you see it). You guys bitch when we give up young talent, you bitch when we give players money they don't deserve, you bitch at anything that is slightly beyond your expectations. It's a lose-lose preposition with any move the team makes. Hell, a majority of you were giving up on Beal after game number four without Wall or Nene. Get a grips with yourselves before you call out management, which I know has been anything but perfect. You guys seem to be living in an utopian-rebuild that doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, when was the last time we made it past the first round of the playoffs? When was the last time we strung together consecutive seasons of highly competitive ball?

We live in a world where the Wizards suck, and have sucked for roughly three decades running. If that's not enough reason to b*%&^ then there isn't one.
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#50 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:32 am

Jay81 wrote:

Again, I could be wrong, but I thought a fair amount of people said that they would not trade the 3rd pick for Harden even BEFORE the Okafor/Ariza trade. I also recall a few people that scoffed at the notion that the Thunder would even consider such a trade.

Like Millertime, I would have made the trade in a heartbeat. Harden had done enough during the season and playoffs to show that he was a legitimate star that could take over games. Harden WAS the MAN when Durant and Westbrook were not on the court. Its not like he succeeded only because he played with 2 great players. With that said, its water over the bridge and although I still have concerns about Beal, I still have hope that Beal might become a player similar to Harden. Only time will tell whether the failure to make the trade was a good or bad move.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#51 » by nuposse04 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 am

I'm not mad at not getting Harden, personally because I believe Harden is overrated and wouldn't have made us relevant...I'm mad at the reason behind not doing the deal. This wreaks of Sterling like ownership.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#52 » by queridiculo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 am

Barely made it through the stinker of a game against the Hornets and I join the board to find this??? Lol, what a gem - Leonsis has pretty much lost all credibility in my book.

He'll never do what's necessary to turn this franchise into a winner.

What a joke.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#53 » by dangermouse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 am

GhostsOfGil wrote:
Jay81 wrote:

Also, Ted/Ernie justified this OkAriza trade with something like "Theres no guarantee we can even get a top tier FA to come here"

THIS.

Ted/Ernie tell us one thing, but then their actions such as rejecting this trade tell us a completely different story.

What is going on here? We need an explanation from Leonsis. I'm sure people are hammering his e-mail/blog/whatever.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#54 » by montestewart » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:48 am

Leonsis he a bust
dandridge 10
Veteran

Post#55 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:50 am

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:This team's fan base is as pathetic as its ownership (or at least how the majority of you see it). You guys bitch when we give up young talent, you bitch when we give players money they don't deserve, you bitch at anything that is slightly beyond your expectations. It's a lose-lose preposition with any move the team makes. Hell, a majority of you were giving up on Beal after game number four without Wall or Nene. Get a grips with yourselves before you call out management, which I know has been anything but perfect. You guys seem to be living in an utopian-rebuild that doesn't exist.

People wouldn't bitch if we ever gave up young talent for young talent. However, the Wizards have a history of giving up on young talent for older, broken down players or giving up young talent for nothing. And, please explain why we shouldn't bitch when management gives players money THEY DONT DESERVE. I think a fan should expect management to only give money to those that deserve it.

And, we are not talking about management that is just less than perfect. We are talking about management that has made the Wizards one of the worst franchises in the last decade. The fans have every right to be unhappy, unsatisfied, and negative. If you don't like it, maybe you should just stick to reading and posting on the "Optimism" thread.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#56 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:51 am

montestewart wrote:Leonsis he a bust

:lol:
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#57 » by dangermouse » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:53 am

Severn Hoos wrote:Don't worry guys, we'll have a maxed-out, but not really max-performing guard of our own next year!

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#58 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 am

One thing to remember, Harden's "Max Contract" isn't really that big of a deal. A max contract for a player coming off his rookie deal starts at $14M. It's not like he is being paid $17M or $19M a year. Basically, it's an Okafor-sized contract. One of those on the books doesn't cripple you.

My only issue with paying him that much is that he wanted a 5-year max. Under the new CBA, only one player on a team can get a 5-year max contract. Any other max players can only sign a 4-year deal. I would have insisted on giving Harden the 4-year deal and reserve the 5-year for Wall when he is due to resign (and maybe not give it to him either, if he doesn't earn it).
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,306

Post#59 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 am

fishercob wrote:Just because I'm into self torture, let's play hypothetical for a bit:

1) Wiz amnesty Blatche and cut Lewis
2) Wiz trade Beal pick and Singleton for Harden
3) Wizards sign Ryan Anderson, age 24, to the 4 yr, $34M deal he got from NO. Maybe be even had to give up Booker in the S&T to get him. Bear in mind that Anderson and Lewis would have cost the same as OkaRiza this season, and $14M or so less next year.
4) We draft two of Jae Crowder, Draymond Green, Will Barton, etc at 32 and 46

Wiz start this season with Wall, Harden, Anderson, Nene, two competent rookies, Seraphin, Vesely, Crawford, before we start filling in with vets.

There's probably enough cap room to squeak in Martell Webster if you sent Vesely away in the Anderson acquisition:

PG: Wall/Livingston
SG: Harden/Crawford
SF: Webster/Crowder
PF: Anderson/Booker
C: Nene/Seraphin

A completely plausible scenario. Might have some luxtax issues in 2014 when Wall and Seraphin are up for new contracts and Nene still with one year left on his deal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#60 » by AFM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:31 am

montestewart wrote:Leonsis he a bust

he a bust he a bust

Return to Washington Wizards