ImageImageImageImageImage

Michael Lee: Wizards Brass turned down Harden

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Re: Michael Lee: Wizards Brass turned down Harden 

Post#81 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:06 pm

I bet James Harden is thinking he really dodged a bullet.

.. sorry had to.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#82 » by Nivek » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Just noodled something out on Twitter, and thought I'd post it here.

Back when Jordan bought in to the Wizards and took over the front office, he was faced with a crummy, expensive roster. He got Abe Pollin to spend $31 million over three seasons to make 7 players go away and give the Wizards cap flexibility. Those 7 players: Mitch Richmond, Rod Strickland, Loy Vaught, Dennis Scott, Michael Smith, Lorenzo Williams and George McCloud.

This offseason, Leonsis had the opportunity to pay two guys $37.1 million over three years (the Blatche amnesty payout follows the terms of his contract, which ran for another three seasons). He was clever and got Something in exchange for Lewis.

Adjusted for inflation, the $31 million in 2003 money is about $39 million in today's money.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#83 » by queridiculo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Honestly, this may just be the final nail in the coffin for me. This franchise is hopeless.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#84 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Induveca wrote:
tontoz wrote:Where's Induveca to tell us the Okafor/Ariza deal was a really good one, Leonsis knows what he is doing and that the Wizards had no chance to get Harden?

" Suck it up fellas, your statistical analysis or cap room opinions weren't going to fill the seats or get more eyeballs on the games. This trade will help that cause."

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1188356&start=960

Yeah Okariza sure are helping that cause. :lol:

Right here, and I was dead wrong.......this sickens me as well.

Glad to see you can admit it.

This is really hard to swallow.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#85 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:30 pm

The only silver lining to this is all the criticism that Ted/EG are getting. The comments in Lee's article are ripping Ted a new one and he can't delete them like he does in his blog.

Time to look in the mirror Ted. Stop pretending like you know basketball. Bring someone in who actually knows what they are doing and then GTF out of the way.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,885

Post#86 » by TGW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:52 pm

fishercob wrote:1. I have no problem with Beal and haven't been worried by anything I've seen from him yet. I think he's going to be very, very good. My anger at this story has nothing to do with Beal. Ji's point is a fair one -- Beal may turn out to be as good as Harden and by giving up Beal's rookie deal we'll be giving up the economic value of that contract. The problem is the Wizards have no intention of using that economic value. They're giving the saving to Okafor and Ariza and Vesely and whomever they next trade for that or draft that can't play.

2. Whether I or anyone here would have made the deal as described when it was offerred is completely besides the point. We're fans -- some more informed and educated than others. Why have a GM, a Joe Sill, Israeli heat-seeking cameras, etc., if you're not using them to make the right decisions? There were plenty of Houston fans who cringed at Harden's deal for a few minutes, then watched him play, read about him more deeply, and became pretty comfortable.

3. Nate's question about a 4 vs 5 max is a tough one. I assume Harden wouldn't have signed the extension without 5 years. I would have given it to him anyway. We haven't seen close to enough from Wall to even think he's a 5-year max player. Hell, I'm worried a 4-year max deal will be throwing good money after bad. Harden would have instantly been our best player by a wide margin.

4. My main, overarching reaction to this story is disgust with Leonsis. Remember his blog post after the OkaRiza trade -- "Wizards make a clever Trade." He talked about not only how both players were going to help on the court (they haven't much, certainly nowhere near what their compensation would suggest), but how we've maintained all of this "optionality" going forward. This was and is either completely stupid or disingenuous. Ted, who many of us had great hope for, is either an idiot or a lying thief who doesn't belief the "public trust" bit that he's always spouting. In truth, this trade bombed our optionality. Next year Okafor and/or Ariza's expiring deals are going to be traded for more overpaid, modestly productive "established veterans" who will be contractually obligated to play for the Wizards.

HOF post.

Completely agree with #4
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TGW
RealGM

Post#87 » by TGW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:00 pm

By the way, Harden reminds me a lot of Gilbert Arenas. The size, the vision, the shooting ability...very similar.

This is very effin disappointing.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#88 » by Higga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:01 pm

All I can say is....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of **** course they turned down Harden. This is the same franchise that thought Jan **** Vesley was worth taking 6th overall. The same franchise that would rather spend all its cap space on the likes of Emeka **** Okafor and Trevor **** Ariza.

**** EG and **** Ted. Seriously, Ted at this point may be WORSE than Abe Pollin. Can't believe I'm saying that. And EG is no better than Unseld was.

Can we move this abombination of a franchise to Seattle and start fresh?
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#89 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm

It could be that Ted and Ernie did not want go near another Foye/Miller type trade, because we all know how that turned-out. It is flawed thinking, but Ted and Ernie are a horrible owner/manager combo obviously.

Has everyone been enjoying the marquee game ticket specials? The Laker game is almost sold-out. There is an all u-can-eat special to one of the up-coming games. This is all that Ted cares about really.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#90 » by MikeTheKid » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm

ntsap wrote:I thought both Durant and Westbrook got 5 year deals? The only reason you can't give 2 5 year deals if you're cheap is what I thought?

Durant signed 5yr 86mill before the new CBA deal was arranged so that's why Westbrook signed a 5yr as well.

The Grizz did the same with Rudy Gay so that they could keep Marc Gasol as well.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#91 » by LyricalRico » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm

closg00 wrote:Ted and Ernie are a horrible owner/manager combo

Interesting thought. As much as I've supported Ernie, it might be that Ted needs a GM with a different personality/approach that can counteract Ted's "too clever by half" approach to building a team. Of course, it all depends on Ted letting the GM do their job, whoever that GM may be. But a front office change might be what it takes for Ted to make his way to the background.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#92 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm

tontoz wrote:The only silver lining to this is all the criticism that Ted/EG are getting. The comments in Lee's article are ripping Ted a new one and he can't delete them like he does in his blog.

Time to look in the mirror Ted. Stop pretending like you know basketball. Bring someone in who actually knows what they are doing and then GTF out of the way.

Maybe he will go one step farther and sell the team. At this point if they moved the Wizards it would free my mind of an unhealthy obsession. I am sitting here angry at some billionaire and his inept GM just because I and 90% of the rest could have made better choices.

Ted in sticking by EG through all of this has lost any credibility. I hope he moves on because I don't see him doing anything but sticking with his boy EG.
Bye bye Beal.
TGW
RealGM

Post#93 » by TGW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
tontoz wrote:The only silver lining to this is all the criticism that Ted/EG are getting. The comments in Lee's article are ripping Ted a new one and he can't delete them like he does in his blog.

Maybe he will go one step farther and sell the team. At this point if they moved the Wizards it would free my mind of an unhealthy obsession. I am sitting here angry at some billionaire and his inept GM just because I and 90% of the rest could have made better choices.

Ted in sticking by EG through all of this has lost any credibility. I hope he moves on because I don't see him doing anything but sticking with his boy EG.

CCJ, for all the back-n-forth we do, I gotta say it...you were pretty much right about everything you said this summer. Everything.

Except for Cousins. And maybe Sessions. :D :lol:
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#94 » by Illuminaire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
closg00 wrote:Ted and Ernie are a horrible owner/manager combo

Interesting thought. As much as I've supported Ernie, it might be that Ted needs a GM with a different personality/approach that can counteract Ted's "too clever by half" approach to building a team. Of course, it all depends on Ted letting the GM do their job, whoever that GM may be. But a front office change might be what it takes for Ted to make his way to the background.

I've long argued that EG is not terrible, merely mediocre. Unfortunately, my primary argument centers on EG being a yes-man who plans poorly and mostly just tries to fulfill his owner's vision rather than crafting one of his own. I *thought* that Ted would get the most out of him by having a reasonable strategy, and relying on Ernie to execute his orders.

Sadly, Teddy is looking more and more like a basketball incompetent... which has the almost inconceivable side effect of making EG even worse. :o
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#95 » by Higga » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Normally I laugh when I hear fans think they can do a better job than professionals, but in this case I agree with you. I am 100% sure any of us RealGM posters would be a better GM or Owner than EG/Ted.

If Ted wants to regain my trust, he fires EVERYONE in the FO, completely clean house, and a hire a young hungry up and comer from a winning organization who will be committed to turning this mess around and building a true contender.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
RealGM

Post#96 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Higga, all that Ted needs to do is admit some people know better and follow their advice. Humility could lead him to an amazing reversal of misfortune in a year.
Bye bye Beal.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#97 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Jay81 wrote:we also need to be patient with Beal. Look at Hardens first 2 years. Beal is going to end up having better numbers in compairson.

I agree, I'm glad we didn't do that trade. We aren't in a position to win a lot of games so why have a maxed out Harden on the roster? I rather see what Beal can do and have an organic rebuild. Harden is a good player but I'm not sure he would fit in with Wall. He needs the ball to be successful.

But I agree that Teddy has been a bust as an owner. His reasons for not doing this trade or laughable. EG has to go!
RealGM

Post#98 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Since Harden was already successful at the highest level, had he been signed and found to be a bad fit next to Wall, then trading Wall for a good fit next to Harden would have been one way to proceed, TheKingOfVa360.

Trading Wall could get you the rights to Cody Zeller, Alex Len, Nerlens Noel, etc. PLUS the Wizards could look to draft a lottery-quality PG like Michael Carter-Williams or C. J. McCollum.

I would swap Wall for Len and McCollum any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Those two with Harden, Nene, and Seraphin would be sick.
Bye bye Beal.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#99 » by MF23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

You're right, it is 2 players on 5 year deals only. There was some criticism about the Thunder choosing to give the 5 year to Westbrook over Harden when he was extended. I need to look at the CBA to confirm but I believe this is correct.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#100 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Since Harden was already successful at the highest level, had he been signed and found to be a bad fit next to Wall, then trading Wall for a good fit next to Harden would have been one way to proceed, TheKingOfVa360.

Trading Wall could get you the rights to Cody Zeller, Alex Len, Nerlens Noel, etc. PLUS the Wizards could look to draft a lottery-quality PG like Michael Carter-Williams or C. J. McCollum.

I would swap Wall for Len and McCollum any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Those two with Harden, Nene, and Seraphin would be sick.

I respectfully disagree, Wall has a chance to be a franchise talent. Harden hasn't been successful on the highest level. He played like crap in the finals, has never been an all star, never made an all-nba team. I know you're not a big fan of Wall CCJ but he could be the best PG in the NBA one day. I would never trade him to find a better fit for Harden. Harden at his best isn't the best player on a championship team and maybe not even a playoff team. I just hope we suck for two more years so we have a shot at Wiggins or Jabari parker.

Regardless, I had high hopes for Teddy as an owner. He has been a massive disappointment so far. He clearly needs a new GM to lead this team and needs to fire EG but he won't do it for some reason.

Return to Washington Wizards