ImageImageImageImageImage

If you took over as GM today, what would you do?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: If you took over as GM today, what would you do? 

Post#441 » by fishercob » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm

nuposse04 wrote:Jennings would make sure we never actually contend.

Great analysis!
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#442 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:30 pm

fishercob wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:Jennings would make sure we never actually contend.

Great analysis!

Well you kill any long term flexibiliy with signing Monroe to the max as we have Omer only a year after. That and both Monroe and Asik have terrible range. So Offnsively I have my doubts as well. I know OMer is a good defender but he's fairly useless offensively, but I suspect Monroe will chuck up enough mid range bricks for him to be rebound.

Also, how do we retain Ariza if we have to sign Monroe to the max? As well as planing on keeping Omer long term...that is the plan right? Cause if it is a two year rental to be a 2nd round team I'm not sure what the point is.

I think Monre is probably more suited to guard today's "centers" anyways. Im not a fan of Nene's contract either but Omer is the type of player that becomes a liability in the playoffs. Doubt HOU would trade for Just Nene either.

What I would look to do is perhaps place Sanders next to Monroe if possible. Again, I doubt we have the assets to. Your trade just doesn't seem feasible at all (cause not all the other teams would be down) or logical in terms of wanting to be more then a 2nd round team...although I guess thats a step up from Ted's 1st round mandate. :/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#443 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't like the idea of playing Monroe at PF. It hasn't worked for 2 years at Detroit, and Asik is no better offensively than Drummond. And Jennings - despite being talented - is toxic to winning.

Maybe if we could do some kind of 3 way - where we get Monroe and give up Gorty and something else, that could help.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#444 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:I don't like the idea of playing Monroe at PF. It hasn't worked for 2 years at Detroit, and Asik is no better offensively than Drummond. And Jennings - despite being talented - is toxic to winning.

Maybe if we could do some kind of 3 way - where we get Monroe and give up Gorty and something else, that could help.

Do we then hold onto Nene to play alongside Monroe? I'd prefer to get an athletic shot blocker at PF if we're going to have Monroe at C. Not sure who that might be, though.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#445 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:53 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I don't like the idea of playing Monroe at PF. It hasn't worked for 2 years at Detroit, and Asik is no better offensively than Drummond. And Jennings - despite being talented - is toxic to winning.

Do we then hold onto Nene to play alongside Monroe? I'd prefer to get an athletic shot blocker at PF if we're going to have Monroe at C. Not sure who that might be, though.

Actually, I think Nene's a great fit - defensively - for Monroe - because he's an excellent team and individual defender - which we'd need with Monroe at center. PF's - with few exceptions - don't block a lot of shots in the NBA. And the ones that do are often not good man defenders. There's no perfect world out there with a mediocre defensive center.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#446 » by fishercob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:57 pm

I don't know, Ruz. I think it depends on system, role and teammates. I think Monroe has upside mirroring Nene's role -- starting PF, backup center. Perhaps it's not "offensively optimal" to play him and Asik together, but at the same time, who is going to get a rebound against that front court? Ilyasova as a third big could replace either and space the heck out of the floor.

I think the pendulum has swung too far on Jennings. I mean, I understand all the things that people don't like about him. I don't like those things either. But make him a third guard and I think your second unit has an advantage on people every night.

Adidas used to have this ad campaign "It Takes Five," selling that basketball is a team pursuit, not an individual one. The ad didn't go far enough -- it takes as least 8 or 9, maybe 11 or 12. We need really good players off our bench. The Fish Plan brings us that.

#FishPlan
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#447 » by verbal8 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

Ibaka would probably be the ideal PF to pair with Monroe. It would very scary if the Thunder somehow managed to acquire Monroe. Especially if they held on to Adams. It would pretty much be a scenario where the Pistons are convinced they won't retain Monroe.

The Monroe/Smith combo would be a lot better if they were playing PF/C vs SF/PF.

Return to Washington Wizards