ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 Draft Thread (Early offseason panic edition).

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: 2014 Draft Thread (Early offseason panic edition). 

Post#1161 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:38 pm

Correction: Norris Cole went round one.

Instead of selling the pick, drafting Bairstow (better prospect than Dan Miller) and then inviting Burton to SL would have been better.

I only complain about the myopia.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1162 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:40 pm

FAH1223 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/BulletsForever/status/482605564951015425[/tweet]

Even if Burton or one of these other guys balls out, Ted will not keep them on the roster. :lol:

I am sure they learned nothing from Kendall Marshall or Shelvin Mack.

Bye bye Beal.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#1163 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 pm

FAH1223 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/BulletsForever/status/482605564951015425[/tweet]

Even if Burton or one of these other guys balls out, Ted will not keep them on the roster. :lol:

If that's the situation, hopefully the worse case scenario is that they're kept off the active roster and sent to develop in the D-League.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1164 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:24 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:

If that's the situation, hopefully the worse case scenario is that they're kept off the active roster and sent to develop in the D-League.

We don't even have a D League affiliate anymore.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#1165 » by spaceman_E » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Higga wrote:99% of 2nd round picks do absolutely nothing in the NBA. The 2nd round of the NBA draft is equal to like the 6th round in the NFL. I really don't see the big deal in selling the pick.

Imagine if the NFL draft only had a 1st and 6th round though. It'd be pretty stupid not to chase that 1%
You don't win friends with salad.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#1166 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 am

mhd wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:"We felt we didn't really have room on our roster to add another young player. Our draft pick was basically Marcin Gortat who is a quality player. Also Otto Porter is like adding another rookie for us. We sold the pick to keep our options open moving forward from a financial perspective."

- Ernie Grunfeld

That makes a little more sense if you put Ted's money where your mouth is. We are going to need to fill a bunch of spots if Ariza, Singleton and Harrington are gone.

I think that's a made of quote.

You gotta admit that was a good one... totally made up this Grunfeld quote after the non-pick, and I pretty much nailed it. Almost his exact explanation!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#1167 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:22 am

pcbothwel wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Im not happy about it, but if you think about it, Daniel Miller was a draftable player and he is already coming to Summer League. I think if you get another high caliber(relatively speaking) undrafted player to come to summer league and sign one, then you can really view that as our 2nd. Also, 2M is nothing to sneeze at for a late 2nd.

Again, EG sucks balls...but just keep perspective.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyoumans247/status/482384224696422400[/tweet]

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Deonte-Burton-6487/

Thanks FAH,
I try to stay fairly medium here and not be overly optimistic, nor pessimistic. So I know Im going to piss some people off and say that the people bashing EG are almost as bad as the fan boys. Burton is a legit player who I would have been ecstatic to get at 46. EG got a great value and 2 Million dollars. I have a hard time being upset...

Exactly. They got a player and 2M

And some how that's a bad thing.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1168 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:23 am

Zonkerbl wrote:I can kinda see the logic - if the guy you want isn't going to be drafted at all, just trade in your second round pick for cash and pick the guy up in free agency.

So summer league pickups are our draft this year, whee.

And young FAs that already have a min of one year NBA experience.

There may be a time to :banghead:

But right now is not it.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1169 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:29 am

pcbothwel wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:At least EG got a lot of cash with his pick. The Wizards got $1.8 million for the #46 pick. The Timberwolves got $1 million for the #44 pick.

Exactly, people need to relax. it looks like Kehm Birch might sign with our summer league too. If I told you at when the draft kicked off that we would end up with Burton, Miller, Birch and 2M you would think RC Buford or Ujiri was running the draft... C'mon people.

Put it in your sig

Eventually people will exhale and figure this out.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1170 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:14 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

I am sure they learned nothing from Kendall Marshall or Shelvin Mack.

Shaun Livingston too. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time a team let go quality talent. Presti let Nate Robinson go instead of Eric Maynor. Morey let Jeremy Lin go once before going to the Knicks. Cleveland let Danny Green go and Spurs even cut him once or twice.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1171 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:33 pm

And... here is the Bleacher Report on Jordan Clarkson, the guy we gave for the $$ (and who, apparently, wasn't on the list of players they liked in R2):

"Is Jordan Clarkson the steal of the draft?

"He very well could be.... his combination of production and potential are untouchable this deep into the second round. ...would've been a justifiable selection in the early 20s and only a slight reach just outside the lottery."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2111 ... ds/page/12

Now, who knows? That's an awfully high bar they've set for him! But, the real point is that we prefer a veteran journeyman -- and now we have an extra $1.8m to help pay for him. Why do we prefer such a player? Because our strategy is Mediocrity Now! Mediocrity or Bust!

Note -- Clarkson is not the guy I'd have picked at #46, and I don't think Burton is necessarily a less good prospect than Clarkson. But, whoever we didn't pick, what we learn from the decision is that the strategy remains in place. Hope the veteran journeyman we buy isn't coming off an injury! That's the usual pattern.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
hands11
Banned User

Post#1172 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:41 pm

How in the world did you read that from what he said ?

What he said is the the truth.

It would be hard for a 2nd round undrafted FA to make the team and if they do it would hard to get minutes.

Of course that is true. The bar is set high. This team has its starters but there are a few spots open off the bench for those that can impress.

There is a 3rd PG or Guard spot
There might be a PF or Center spot.

Thats about it. And these players would have to be better then NBA experienced FAs they can pick up.

So basically you post is like.. if they say the sky is blue, you will find a problem with that. Hey guys look. They think the sky is blue. What a bunch of idiots.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1173 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:47 pm

hands11 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:At least EG got a lot of cash with his pick. The Wizards got $1.8 million for the #46 pick. The Timberwolves got $1 million for the #44 pick.

Exactly, people need to relax. it looks like Kehm Birch might sign with our summer league too. If I told you at when the draft kicked off that we would end up with Burton, Miller, Birch and 2M you would think RC Buford or Ujiri was running the draft... C'mon people.

Put it in your sig

Eventually -- sooner than you think, maybe? -- you might be one of those who "figure this out."

The point is not that there was some savior at #46 we absolutely should have picked, but we whiffed on the guy. Not this year. In fact, I can't see why Burton isn't just as good a prospect as Clarkson. And I'm intrigued by Birch too.

The point is that we learn from this move, again, that Ted/Ernie are after: mediocrity now & forever -- mediocrity or bust!

And why not, it seems? It's certainly converted people like you! Who "like to be right" and are easily satisfied -- and, hey, I'm grateful to have had a season that didn't end in mid-April! I hope we can repeat that.

But, no, we aren't building a contender here in Washington DC. And that's what I'd really like to see.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1174 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:51 pm

hands11 wrote:

It would be hard for a 2nd round undrafted FA to make the team and if they do it would hard to get minutes.

Of course that is true. The bar is set high. This team has its starters but there are a few spots open off the bench for those that can impress.

Thats about it. And these players would have to be better then NBA experienced FAs they can pick up.

So basically you post is like.. if they say the sky is blue, you will find a problem with that. Hey guy look. They think the sky is blue. They are idiots.

Agreed -- nothing wrong w/ what he wrote and no reason to think that a guy couldn't play his way onto our roster. Might be harder for a guard than a big, but it can happen.

But, of course it would be hard! In fact, what Ted said above is true for any NBA team.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1175 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 pm

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Put it in your sig

Eventually -- sooner than you think, maybe? -- you might be one of those who "figure this out."

The point is not that there was some savior at #46 we absolutely should have picked, but we whiffed on the guy. Not this year. In fact, I can't see why Burton isn't just as good a prospect as Clarkson. And I'm intrigued by Birch too.

The point is that we learn from this move, again, that Ted/Ernie are after: mediocrity now & forever -- mediocrity or bust!

And why not, it seems? It's certainly converted people like you! Who "like to be right" and are easily satisfied -- and, hey, I'm grateful to have had a season that didn't end in mid-April! I hope we can repeat that.

But, no, we aren't building a contender here in Washington DC. And that's what I'd really like to see.

Ah. So you don't like to be right ? Other here don't like to be right ? Strawman. Those kinds of comments are pointless. You love to post about picks you predicted correctly just like everyone else. You like to ask others to post the links to those predictions like Chander Parsons but I don't see you post yours.

Converted me ? Satisfied ?

I am neither converted or satisfied. I see no clear path to a title from here. But as I have consistently posted, I don't see the dead ends that get posted here so often either. There may be a way there. There are still options. Its just not clear what will materialize yet. Predicting the future is a tricky endeavor. But what is clear is that many here way over reacted to getting Nene, Okafor and TA as a dead end. It wasn't. They wanted to keep Gil. That was a terrible idea. They wanted to bring him back which was/is a more terrible idea.

I get that what ORL, the Sixer and ORL are doing is more sexy. Boston is trying and they have a history of being able to rebuild so we will see. MIL is in there. Parker was a great addition for them. I like lots of the ORL players. And I can't wait to see what Embiid becomes. That was a great pick by Philly.

CLE ? Still not sold on that rebuild. I think that team is still a hot mess. Three #1 picks, no clear leader. And Hawes and Deng still might leave.

I'm an NBA fan. I want to see good basketball. I look forward to seeing the team Dallas puts together. I think they will make a big push to assemble something that can contend. I hope SAS comes back strong for another chase at a title. The LAC might be able to put together the final pieces. Its all good. I love watching it all.

Lots of team at lot of different phases. All different because of market, ownership and what phase they are in. But the Wizards not being at SAS, OKC, DAL level doesn't upset me. They aren't there yet.

Here whats different from mine, Lyrical, Supers, DCz and some others perspective. The time frame. I don't expect them to be DAL or SAS next year. Those teams are well established top flight organizations with a long winning history. The Wizards are just trying to get established as the next GS right now after hitting an amazing low after the Gil knee, Gil gungate and changing owners. Its a process. They drafted Wall in 2010 and traded Gil that December. Its been 4 seasons for Wall and they made the 2nd round of the playoffs and won two games.

What I expect is for them to make the playoff again next year and be challenged to get out of the first round and maybe take the 2nd round or at least get a game 7. Thats where the Wizards are.

You know how many playoff appearances it took MJ to get out of the first round ?
Spoiler:

How many playoff before he got to conference finals
Spoiler:

How many playoff before he got to the final
Spoiler:

Nothing significant was expected to happen at this stage of the summer so no reason to over react. They are assembling a summer team and FA is just around the corner. The FA period is what we need to look toward. There isn't really anything major to judge today that we didn't know at the end of the season. Patience. If you want to bang you head against the wall in frustration, I'm sure you will get better material to do that about then anything you have seen yet. If not, Ted will say the sky is blue and people can get upset about that.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1176 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:38 pm

payitforward wrote:
hands11 wrote:

So basically you post is like.. if they say the sky is blue, you will find a problem with that. Hey guy look. They think the sky is blue. They are idiots.

Agreed -- nothing wrong w/ what he wrote and no reason to think that a guy couldn't play his way onto our roster. Might be harder for a guard than a big, but it can happen.

But, of course it would be hard! In fact, what Ted said above is true for any NBA team.

Exactly.

Standard answer. Some call if fluff. Some would call it straight talk. But it is the truth. And he is only talking about the undrafted FA, not the people they might go after in FA like Matthew Dellavedova and others.

First things first. They have to sign Gortat. Then they will be on to Trevor A. Free Agency starts July 1. Then Summer league happens.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1177 » by stevemcqueen1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:44 pm

My personal gripe with our draft is that I thought is demonstrated a lack of imagination.

I believe this ended up being a deep class with some quality players going late in the first round. We punted a draft that a lot of teams used to get better. I think we should have been trying to find a way to trade back into the first round in the 20s. Jordan Adams went to Memphis. Mitch McGary went to OKC. Kyle Anderson went to the Spurs. Good organizations got good players. I wanted us to get in on that action.
hands11
Banned User

Post#1178 » by hands11 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:55 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:My personal gripe with our draft is that I thought is demonstrated a lack of imagination.

I believe this ended up being a deep class with some quality players going late in the first round. We punted a draft that a lot of teams used to get better. I think we should have been trying to find a way to trade back into the first round in the 20s. Jordan Adams went to Memphis. Mitch McGary went to OKC. Kyle Anderson went to the Spurs. Good organizations got good players. I wanted us to get in on that action.

Agreed. I would like to have seen that as well. Trade Thomas and the 2nd and a future 2nd.

But I have no idea what was possible.

I would have been real happy if they drafted Mitch but he ended up going 21st. Not sure they could get that high up though. Only viable offer I read was in a Nene/Perkins deal but lets not act like that isn't a huge decision to make and we have no idea if OKC or the Wizards wanted to do that.

And none of teams 25 to 30 probably wanted what we had. Maybe SAS would want Thomas. Who knows. That would have gotten us the 30th.

So yeah, it would have been fun, but not sure you can get all that upset it didn't happen.

We got our #20 in the first. His name THE HAMMER and he will be our starting center next year while we make it into the playoffs again. Had we traded the 20th for Gortat in the draft this year, the board would be going crazy probably hating it, but they would be wrong. I like Mitch McGary but Gortat is way better and ready to win now as a starting center.

And they got their top #10 quality pick in Ottoman Porter. 6-8 SF that defender, rebounds, passes and is a great team player.

If we had the #10 pick in this draft, who would we have take if Otto was in the draft. Him or Doug McDermott. I expect we would have take Otto Porter.

So just act like they traded the #18 (Tyler Ennis PG) for Gortat and drafted Otto at #10 ( where we should have drafted if not for the "lucky lottery balls" that moved us up in a top weak draft.) Only you got Gortat for an extra year last year and made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs and Otto got to red shirt for a year.

Its all a matter of perspective.
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#1179 » by The Consiglieri » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:43 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

I'm shocked your willing to justify this horse manure. Excellent teams don't do this. The best run team in the league, San Antonio, does not do this. We are not the best run, we are one of the worst, and not surprisingly, have repeatedly done this over the years, though not since Abe's cheap ways were de rigeurue.

I'm just really glad I completely ignored this draft after the horrid trade was made last fall, no time wasted at all on it. Very productive for me.

On the positive side, the World Cup started 2+ weeks ago, and as per every four years, has absolutely made my summer. No sport has come close to fulfilling me the way this world cup has, since, well Japan/South Korea 2002.
For those that haven't watched, you should, this has been the best tournament since probably 1982 or 1970, neither of which I was able to see (too young in '82, and not born yet for the other). It's just been fantastic.

As for the Wizards, again, I do not understand why people continue to be willing to give the GM, or the owner or the organization a free pass on this. It's such faulty thinking. The particulars here are not what's important, it's the philosophy in place. Some teams get it, others do not. When you are using ALL your assets available to make the team the best it can be in the now or the future, you are doing your job as a GM/Owner. When you are trading away assets simply so you don't have to spend as much money out of pocket on decisions you are required to make as an owner (this team is not exclusively yours, owners, the equity is, the team itself belongs to the city and the fans, owners come and go, unfortunately the worst never seem to leave, a la fish, and the 3 day cliché), you are a scum bag, and are not acting in the interest of the franchise, and as such, you have no business being an owner. It's very painful to be a DC sports fan, knowing the owners of three of our teams are cheap skate, bottom line yokels, and d bags respectively (Leonsis in the former case, Lerner's in the later), while the owner of the Redskins is a megalomaniacal piece of garbage who puts his own ego ahead of the redskins, always.

What I would give for a good owner. We haven't had one since JKC died :(.

It is not hard to realize that your objective for second round picks should always be taking a domestic, taking a draft and stash, or trading for future assets. Trading for cash is the dominion of losers, and/or owners of teams that know they can buy any league asset as necessary via free agency to plug holes created by mismanagement (Knicks, Lakers, Heat etc)
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1180 » by pcbothwel » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:12 pm

Consig,

Your missing my point. I think EG is an average to below average GM (I.E. He's a C-). All I am saying is that people can appreciate small moves while still maintaining that EG needs to be replaced(This is the camp I am in).

The Spurs had the 60th pick in the draft and Cory Jefferson was there (A favorite of many on this board after his junior year). You even heard people on this board crying about how we sold our pick "but look at the Spurs, building there team with Jefferson...God I hate EG". But then it turns out that the Spurs sold the pick...then silence..

Again, I DO NOT LIKE EG AT ALL (I actually think his obtuse, condescending personality pisses me off more than his personnel moves some times). I am just trying to keep things on an even keel.

Return to Washington Wizards