Re: Grunfeld a Great GM. Proves Doubters Wrong 

Post#41 » by hands11 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:56 am

Gortat is not getting signed for 14M.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,222

Post#42 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 am

hands11 wrote:Gortat is not getting signed for 14M.

This is EG were talking about, though I did exaggerate a bit
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#43 » by miller31time » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

MikeTheKid wrote:
hands11 wrote:Gortat is not getting signed for 14M.

This is EG were talking about, though I did exaggerate a bit

I can easily see Ernie signing him for 12mil per year (3yr/36mil contract) on the first day possible, before anyone can offer him anything higher (which they wouldn't).

It's called the Ernie Grunfeld Special.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#44 » by sashae » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:49 am

ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Post#45 » by milellie111 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:26 am

MikeTheKid wrote:3 things for Mr Milellie111 to ponder while he's sitting in the hotel room with Ernie wondering how masterful a job hes done in Washington and I'll only mention 3 of at least 100 things done wrong by Ernie which folks here have covered forever:
2009 Draft- Hi Steph Curry, Ty Lawson and Rubio
2011 Draft- Hi Klay, Kawhi, Faried, Vucevic, Shumpert, Jimmy Butler, CHANDLER PARSONS in Rd 2, Isiah Thomas
Eric "Fart" Maynor signed on the first day of FA who hasn't logged legit PT in 2014 as of yet who is sitting on a BAE contract

Need I say More Thanks Troll now tell Ernie and Ted I said Hi and hire a Real Gm and Coach and not Ted's Boy Scout Friends

Either this troll is a highly paid Monumental employee or Ted and Ernie really think were stupid on this forum!!!

Instead of dwelling in the past and focusing on hindsight, how about noticing whom Mr. Grunfeld has drafted: John Wall, Bradley Beal, Trevor Booker. Wall is an all star and Beal is on the brink.Trevor Booker is one of the better rebounding defensive power forwards in the East. Again, the future is very bright for this team.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#46 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 am

milellie111 wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:3 things for Mr Milellie111 to ponder while he's sitting in the hotel room with Ernie wondering how masterful a job hes done in Washington and I'll only mention 3 of at least 100 things done wrong by Ernie which folks here have covered forever:
2011 Draft- Hi Klay, Kawhi, Faried, Vucevic, Shumpert, Jimmy Butler, CHANDLER PARSONS in Rd 2, Isiah Thomas
Eric "Fart" Maynor signed on the first day of FA who hasn't logged legit PT in 2014 as of yet who is sitting on a BAE contract

Need I say More Thanks Troll now tell Ernie and Ted I said Hi and hire a Real Gm and Coach and not Ted's Boy Scout Friends

Either this troll is a highly paid Monumental employee or Ted and Ernie really think were stupid on this forum!!!

Instead of dwelling in the past and focusing on hindsight, how about noticing whom Mr. Grunfeld has drafted: John Wall, Bradley Beal, Trevor Booker. Wall is an all star and Beal is on the brink.Trevor Booker is one of the better rebounding defensive power forwards in the East. Again, the future is very bright for this team.

Okay Lets notice who "Mr." Grunfeld has drafted since your bringing up recent past draft picks:

Your 3 guys you noted were Wall, Beal and Booker how about:

Steve Blake
Jarvis Hayes
Devin Harris
Andray Blatche
Oleksiy Pecherov
Dominic McGuire
Nick Young
Bill Walker
Javale McGee
Jermaine Taylor
Lazar Hayward
Shelvin Mack
Chris Singleton
Jan Vesely

Now tell me who in this group of draft picks actually produced with the Wiz that wasn't a knucklehead or problem? These are all "Mr" Grunfeld's picks from 2003 minus all the Eurotrash that was stashed or never came aka Veremeenko, Satoransky, etc. I know your in Monumental's pocket but be real, EG can't draft, scout or keep a positive culture in an organization. The only good thing hes done is draft Michael Redd and that wasn't even with the Wiz. Yes the Wiz made the playoffs but that was with Prime Top 5 in the NBA Arenas who ran the organization and Ernie did nothing but chew his bubblegum. Wall was the hype of 2010, Beal was a no brainer even though you could've taken Drummond.

If you want have Ted or EG call us real fans and not the fairweather kiss up so they can get some real perspective from hardcore fans on the team

Im done, respect you meekness on the team but open your eyes and be real, were mediocre and will be for the next few years but Ted will get his money on 1st rd playoff exits just like the Caps
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,906

Post#47 » by TGW » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:54 am

So a sub. 500 record is proving doubters wrong, eh?

Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Post#48 » by milellie111 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:04 am

MikeTheKid wrote:
milellie111 wrote:

Okay Lets notice who "Mr." Grunfeld has drafted since your bringing up recent past draft picks:

Steve Blake
Jarvis Hayes
Devin Harris
Andray Blatche
Oleksiy Pecherov
Dominic McGuire
Nick Young
Bill Walker
Javale McGee
Jermaine Taylor
Lazar Hayward
Shelvin Mack
Chris Singleton
Jan Vesely

Now tell me who in this group of draft picks actually produced with the Wiz that wasn't a knucklehead or problem? These are all "Mr" Grunfeld's picks from 2003 minus all the Eurotrash that was stashed or never came aka Veremeenko, Satoransky, etc. I know your in Monumental's pocket but be real, EG can't draft, scout or keep a positive culture in an organization. The only good thing hes done is draft Michael Redd and that wasn't even with the Wiz. Yes the Wiz made the playoffs but that was with Prime Top 5 in the NBA Arenas who ran the organization and Ernie did nothing but chew his bubblegum. Wall was the hype of 2010, Beal was a no brainer even though you could've taken Drummond.

If you want have Ted or EG call us real fans and not the fairweather kiss up so they can get some real perspective from hardcore fans on the team

Im done, respect you meekness on the team but open your eyes and be real, were mediocre and will be for the next few years but Ted will get his money on 1st rd playoff exits just like the Caps

I'm done here as well.You along with many others on here insist on looking behind and living in the past instead of acknowledging the current state of the team and the promise it is showing.If you have been watching the team in recent weeks, you will clearly see that potential coming to fruition. Coming back from 25 down against Houston (we almost pulled it out) and dominating Chicago this evening shows that we can be one of the better teams in the East. You don't get rid of a guy who put this together you reward him.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#49 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:13 am

milellie111 wrote: Coming back from 25 down against Houston (we almost pulled it out) and dominating Chicago this evening shows that we can be one of the better teams in the East. You don't get rid of a guy who put this together you reward him.

I was done but I just had to say this, like you said Almost pulled it out. Thats our motto now "Almost" because we almost do everything, we almost got Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, we almost gotta good owner in Ted Leonsis, we almost got rid of Ernie many times. Were just an almost type of team.

PS if we cant beat a Bulls team who dont have there top 2 options then we truly suck
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#50 » by montestewart » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:14 am

milellie111 wrote:This team is not a James Harden away from competing, you know it and Ernie knew it. How would Harden have fixed the bench depth or getting muscled down low defensively on the boards?

Pass on Harden. Sign Maynor and Harrington. Problems solved.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#51 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:43 pm

I agree with milellie111. We need to stop living in the past. Grunfeld hasn't made a bad move today.

:rockon:
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#52 » by verbal8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Nivek wrote:I agree with milellie111. We need to stop living in the past. Grunfeld hasn't made a bad move today.

:rockon:

It has been 6 months since his last obviously bad move - signing Maynor. However everything he has done since then has been average at best.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#53 » by Higga » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Ernie's mom posts on this board?
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#54 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:53 pm

milellie111 wrote:I believe Ernie Grunfeld deserves some credit for such a well balanced team he has put together. The best backcourt in the league with Wall and Beal, one of the best overall small forwards in the East (Ariza),a legit starter in Booker,and a serviceable center in Gortat.The bench is also deep. Garrett Temple is a gem and one of the best defensive backup pgs in the league, Nene is a top 10 power forward in the league when healthy, Martell Webster could be a starter on another team, Vesely is a rebounding freak and has lots of potential and Otto Porter has star potential. Most importantly this team has chemistry, the guys look as if they all mesh and have fun playing together and there are no knuckleheads/problem childs on the team.

There is a reason Grunfeld still has his job....Because he knows what he's doing!! Constantly im reading on here and hearing from Wizards fans they want Grunfeld gone. Ernie actually needs an extension. This team is built to hang with anyone in the East and the future looks bright with the money we have to sign a free agent. Most importantly, Ernie chose the right coach in Whittman. He could be a candidate for coach of the year if the team keeps playing like it is. Whittmans coaching style is working and the guys are responding. Whittman has turned Wall into a star right under our eyes and possibly the best all around point guard in the league (offensively and defensively). Quiet as kept, Ted Leonsis is one of the best owners in the league compared to some other guys (mark cuban). Ted cares about this team and is committed to winning. Also, he is one of the most down to earth individuals out there.

The future looks bright for this team and i hope everyone is retained on the coaching and management staff as i see this team being one of the best in the NBA.

No he isn't a great GM. He deserves credit for trades and nothing else really. He can't draft. You can talk Vesely up all you like but he wasn't drafted 6th overall to be a "rebounding freak".

You talk about the Wizards org. as being a knucklehead free-zone, well if he drafted correctly and did his homework he would've known that Blatche, Young, and McGee didn't have the personalities that are conducive to winning seasons. It's debatable if any of the three are even starting material.

Why doesn't Vesely, Booker, Seraphin, or Singleton give the Wizards org. problems as far as character? Because they aren't character issue players. Grunfeld only got onboard with taking character seriously after Flip Saunders took issue with his players' character. That's when the influx of players that you can actually coach began to come in. Why wasn't this Grunfeld's agenda long before that time?

Booker, Singleton, Seraphin have all had their moments where they've shown things that would make me hopeful that they are worth retaining, hell, Vesley's had his moments too, but fact is, the times where you could question their place on the team have outweighed those shining moments. To no fault of their own. In a different situation they might prove to be far more productive. Anything outside of the a top 3 pick with Grunfeld selecting may prove to be an average at best selection to a complete dud.

And then there's the second round. Why the hell don't the Wizards still have Shelvin Mack? I debated with one poster in here a very long time ago about how Mack was a good compliment to Wall and that the Wizards had no need to rush out to find another PG to backup Wall, and of course I was told that I was completely wrong. The Wizards could use his production now because he's doing a whole hell of a lot better in Atlanta right now than Eric Maynor is doing in D.C.

Tomas Satoransky. Will we ever see him play in a Wizards uniform in the regular season? Or was that just another insignificant, completely unimportant 2nd round pick that was thrown away, because Grunfeld doesn't believe the odds of a 2nd rounder panning out is that great anyways?

Grunfeld should go and Wittman should go. That's if you're serious about the Wizards really challenging for supremacy in the Eastern Conference and beyond.

How bad have they looked in the two games versus the Pacers this season? And you think Wittman and Grunfeld ought to be retained?

The Wizards are getting it together little by little and it should be good enough to make a run in the playoffs this season, but I still see a team that is underachieving given the talent on the roster. Wittman won't have the team playing up to the high standard that they can and ought to for longer than maybe five-game stretches before they regress, look them themselves in the mirror, re-gather and then repeat it again. Have no reason to believe he can do more because I've seen this happen too many times under him.

Bring people with elite ability into the organization if possible, if you want to see the best of Wall, Beal, Porter and the rest of the bunch.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 pm

milellie111 wrote:Vesely is a rebounding freak

Yes, absolutely. Vesely is in the top 100 players THIS SEASON in pace adjusted per minute rebounds. His rebounding surpasses the great Jon Leuer's total by a full 0.2 boards per 40 minutes.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:12 pm

milellie111 wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:
milellie111 wrote:

Steve Blake
Jarvis Hayes
Devin Harris
Andray Blatche
Oleksiy Pecherov
Dominic McGuire
Nick Young
Bill Walker
Javale McGee
Jermaine Taylor
Lazar Hayward
Shelvin Mack
Chris Singleton
Jan Vesely

I'm done here as well.You along with many others on here insist on looking behind and living in the past instead of acknowledging the current state of the team and the promise it is showing.If you have been watching the team in recent weeks, you will clearly see that potential coming to fruition. Coming back from 25 down against Houston (we almost pulled it out) and dominating Chicago this evening shows that we can be one of the better teams in the East. You don't get rid of a guy who put this together you reward him.

God help you if you're serious. The potential and promise is that of a team that - if everything goes right - could finish slightly over .500 in a historically bad conference. That's what we've gone through the brutal rebuilding process for. That Houston game showed their weakness - they couldn't score in half court sets when they needed to. Chicago played a large part of the game with a backcourt pair that's lucky to be in the NBA, and they just traded Deng - that was not a good team. This team might be the healthiest team in the NBA, and they're still below .500. They've beaten 1 team with a winning record - the mediocre Atlanta Hawks. And you can't use youth as a reason for the team having a brighter future. Nene and Gortat aren't likely going to hold up as well in the future, and they won't even have a 1st round pick in the 2014 draft.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#57 » by Rafael122 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm

2011 NBA Draft: Could have had Kawhi Leonard or Klay Thompson with the 6th pick; Kenneth Faried with the 18th pick.

2012 Draft: This is where it gets tricky, b/c you don't know how good that Wizards squad would have been with Wall/Leonard or Thompson/Faried. But if they picked in the exact same slot, then Beal would have been fine.

I probably would have picked Greivis with the 2nd first round pick in '10.

Really, the bungled '11 draft set this team back years. There's no excuse. Ernie should be fired just for that. Between 2010-2013, Ernie had 7 first round picks, and only 3 of them will be on the team next year. 7!

BTW, I fully realize that after 2011, we don't know where this team would have been, but if everything turned out the same, even if Ernie missed on 2, hitting on 5 first round picks would have set this team up for a decade.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Nivek » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:03 pm

Fired for the 2011 draft? Pish posh. Keep in mind, at that point Grunfeld's record hadn't been unfairly damaged by other teams ending games with more points than the Wizards with the somewhat elevated frequency of the 2011-12 and 2012-13. From 2003-04 through 2010-11, ONLY 25 teams had a higher winning percentage than Grunfeld's Wizards.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#59 » by GhostsOfGil » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:06 pm

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#60 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 pm

milellie111 wrote:Instead of dwelling in the past and focusing on hindsight, how about noticing whom Mr. Grunfeld has drafted: John Wall, Bradley Beal, Trevor Booker. Wall is an all star and Beal is on the brink.Trevor Booker is one of the better rebounding defensive power forwards in the East. Again, the future is very bright for this team.

I see. "Hindsight" and "dwelling in the past" mean pointing out Ernie's long and continuing series of stupid moves and the many years of awful results they have brought us.

But if we talk about 3 good picks -- that were also in the past and are only visible via hindsight -- that's a bad thing?

We got lucky and were given the #1 pick in 2010; Ernie picked the default #1, the same guy every GM likely would have picked. In 2012, at #3, we also took the same guy every other GM would have picked.

Ernie gets credit for a wise move in trading up from #30 to #23 and taking Booker. No problem -- hurrah! The only thing is that if he gets credit for that pick, he has to also take the consequences of the picks of KS in 2010 (an ok swing for the fences, even though it didn't work out) and his horrible picks in 2011, his wasted Round 2 in 2012, his awful FA signings of Harrington and Maynor, his looking-bad trade of a Wolters pick for a Glen Rice pick, his grab for an injury-prone Okafor which turned out to be an expensive way to get a 1-year rental on Gortat and give away a Round 1 pick in what is being called the deepest draft in a long tie or in one of the following years, and...

...he gets 100% credit for the borderline average team that's all he's been able to make out of an incredible set of team-rebuilding resources. The guy's a bad GM. You'd have to be his cousin to think otherwise.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards