ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #37: Wizards vs Heat - January 15th - 7 pm

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,300

Re: GT #37: Wizards vs Heat - January 15th - 7 pm 

Post#321 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:42 am

dandridge 10 wrote:Wizards shoot 52% and put up 102 points on the Bulls one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. Wizards shoot 54% and put up 114 points against the Heat, another great defensive team. Where are all the posters complaining that Wittman;s offensive system sucks and can't get players in a position to score?

Again, Wittman is not the greatest coach in the world. But the difference between the Wizard's losses and wins this year have had little to do with the coach and his system. They have a lot to do with the focus and energy of the players, and their ability to move the ball and hit open shots.

Love the energy of the Wizards tonight. They got a little comfortable in the 3rd and got sloppy with their passing, but glad to see them buckle down in the 4th. Best of all, I liked seeing the Heat crowd go home unhappy.

+1000

I was talking smack early when we had the big lead to the Heat Bandwagoneers, BTW, they should
have kept doing that Bandwagon Cam thing every TO, but I was sooo grateful not to have to eat
crow at the end. Best W this year by far not just with who they beat but how they played.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#322 » by dlts20 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 am

You guys can fall in love with Witt all you want but he sucks. You know why we score 114 points and win other games? Its because he has talent. These guys can overcome the system because they are talented which is why I predicted them to still win alot of game in spite of me wanting Witt fired. There are coaches who get fired after they win 50 games. You wanna know why? Because the team is still talented enough to do better. Just because his system sucks doesnt mean we will average 80ppg when we have a talented roster
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#323 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:51 am

no question talent wins in the NBA - but everyone has talent. Getting everyone
to buy into a good system and play for the team first is what you need.
Witt right now is doing a good job of that.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#324 » by dobrojim » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:54 am

I think I'll go watch again. I was taking tomorrow off anyway.

:)

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#325 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 am

Hey boys and girls, it's time to play 'irrational exuberance.' I'll start.

It's clear that we are a better team than the Heat, so our focus needs to be on sliding into the third or the sixth spot... That way, once we get past whatever chumps we play in the first round, we can rest some players against the Heat and start getting ready for an epic battle with the Pacers.

Who wants to play along?

Doc? Barely Awake ?
In Rizzo we trust
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#326 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:40 am

Ofcourse I'm on a plane to Kansas city as i miss the greatest wiz game of the season

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#327 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:01 am

Okay Randy, how about no more experiments with the starting 5? This isn't hard.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
Mickstix
Junior
And1: 27

Post#328 » by Mickstix » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:30 am

**** they beat the Heat??? I kept seeing the results but my brain kept thinking it was agaist the Magic!! I go to watch the replay (since Im in FL.) and it's blacked out.. I say to myself, huh, I get the Magic on FoxSptsFlorida?? HOLY **** THEY BLEW OUT THE MIAMI HEAT!!! lol
Mick
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#329 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:25 am

Damn they cracked the Heats Azz. :o Hope there is not a letdown Friday against Chicago.
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#330 » by Hypnotizer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/cmillscsn/status/423621929543958528[/tweet]
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#331 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:48 pm

Saw it in a bar in Fort Lauderdale last night . . . good times :-)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#332 » by Brenice » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 pm

This was a grow up game. The Wizards on at least 2 occasions this year (Philly & Cleveland) got out like gangbusters in the and took big leads. John Wall would score on the break and thump his chest...and then the wiz would lose intensity, then lose momentum, and ultimately the game. This game shows that they are learning NOT to go into "prevent defense" on offense, and not blow the game. Those Philly and Cleveland games, the better team, Washington, ended up losing. This game, the Wizards beat the better team, by not letting them off the hook. The Wizards grew up last night.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#333 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:52 pm

dlts20 wrote:You guys can fall in love with Witt all you want but he sucks. You know why we score 114 points and win other games? Its because he has talent. These guys can overcome the system because they are talented which is why I predicted them to still win alot of game in spite of me wanting Witt fired. There are coaches who get fired after they win 50 games. You wanna know why? Because the team is still talented enough to do better. Just because his system sucks doesnt mean we will average 80ppg when we have a talented roster

Name me one person on this board who is "in love" with Wittman. Just because people don't blame every loss on Wittman doesn't mean they love the coach.

Its funny how we have the talent to overcome Wittman's system against Chicago and Miami, two of the best defenses in the league, but that "talent" can't overcome Wittman's system against lesser teams like Milwaukee or Philly at home. In any event, if it makes you sleep better at night thinking that Wittman is the only thing holding the Wizards back to from reaching the promise land, then have at it.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,765

Post#334 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Hypnotizer wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:This win means nothing if they suffer a let down against the Bulls on Friday.

I disagree. Nothing is better like beat the champs for morale. Especially after @IND 2 big loses.

1st of a 5 game home swing, 4 of which are against teams with worse than a .500 record. Then they head out West. I said it in the tank thread but these next 15+ games or so will tell us where this season is heading. They're off to a good start so far, but it's important they rack up as many wins as they can before things get tougher. If the Wizards of last night show up like this over the next stretch of games, they could probably be 5-6 games over .500, it would probably push them to make a trade deadline move to shore up a hole or two.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#335 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
Hypnotizer wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:This win means nothing if they suffer a let down against the Bulls on Friday.

I disagree. Nothing is better like beat the champs for morale. Especially after @IND 2 big loses.

1st of a 5 game home swing, 4 of which are against teams with worse than a .500 record. Then they head out West. I said it in the tank thread but these next 15+ games or so will tell us where this season is heading. They're off to a good start so far, but it's important they rack up as many wins as they can before things get tougher. If the Wizards of last night show up like this over the next stretch of games, they could probably be 5-6 games over .500, it would probably push them to make a trade deadline move to shore up a hole or two.

This is a perfect opportunity to create a bigger home court advantage and work the record to above .500. I picked the wrong game to miss. Maybe I take 1 for the team and keep not watching as long as they win.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#336 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Funnest game of the year by far. That was just awesome. The ball whipping around beautifully, stifling D, terrific shot making.

Wall taking the game over in the fourth quarter and hitting my favorite shot of the season, that step back three as the clock was running down.

Nene going HAM and blocking LeBron's layup and swatting Bosh's shot into the stands. Taking the ball inside and making so many shots in the paint. Gortat's running hooks were on point. Beal's contested layups were on point.

And having our wings force so many turnovers was sweet. Plus Beal was making everything. Booker making all of his field goals and getting a double double off the bench.

There was just so much positive from that game. Our best all around performance. And it came against Miami! Our best seven guys beat their best seven guys.

And I think it demonstrates some weaknesses and potential match up problems Miami has. How do they deal with speedy, explosive guards? How do they deal with legit big men that can score?

Based on what we did, we showed and ability to match up well with them when our key players are healthy and playing together well.

But what it really showed me is what a matchup nightmare Golden State would be for Miami. They're sort of a rich man's version of our team (and a team we could have basically had ourselves if we hadn't passed their players over in the draft).

Miami is going to have a tough time getting past Indy in the postseason. And if they do, GS would be their worst draw IMO.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#337 » by stevemcqueen1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
Hypnotizer wrote:

This is a perfect opportunity to create a bigger home court advantage and work the record to above .500. I picked the wrong game to miss. Maybe I take 1 for the team and keep not watching as long as they win.

They need to get over .500 on this stretch because the last two games of January and the first three games of February are absolutely brutal. We'll probably go 0-5 during that stretch. Winning as much as we can before then willlet us weather that stretch and at least stay around .500.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#338 » by Illmatic21 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm

George Karl is on First Take talking about the game.. they were trying to lead him into making excuses for the Heat but he gave a lot of credit and praise to the Wiz, and Wall/Beal being up and coming young players

At least now we know his eye is on the Wizards..
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#339 » by Jay81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:29 pm

i was pretty impressed with Greg Oden.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#340 » by Higga » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Higga wrote:We'll win tonight. Because...I don't know why. We're the Wizards.

Told you so.

Fun game to watch. You knew Miami would make a game of it late, but we stepped up and made some big shots and stops to close it out.

Lets go on a roll on our homestand and get above .500.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Wizards