ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
64%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
24%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003 AND WASHINGTON HAS THE THIRD WORST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE IN THAT SPAN)
12%

Total votes: 89

Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 2) 

Post#521 » by Jay81 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 6:28 pm

This was very depressing....quote from Ted on Teds take

We took one tiny step along a long journey last night when we qualified for our first playoff appearance in 6 years as a franchise. It is a modest yet very positive accomplishment, and I am proud of the team,and the staff and leadership of the franchise.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#522 » by closg00 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 6:43 pm

Jay81 wrote:This was very depressing....quote from Ted on Teds take

We took one tiny step along a long journey last night when we qualified for our first playoff appearance in 6 years as a franchise. It is a modest yet very positive accomplishment, and[b] I am proud of the team,and the staff and leadership of the franchise.[/b]

:cry: That just drove a stake through my heart. Pop the champagne Rico & Hands.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#523 » by leswizards » Thu Apr 3, 2014 6:58 pm

When Ted is paying the luxury tax because the only way to improve the team is to sign players to the MLE every year because Ernie Grunfeld has blown draft pick after draft pick and has thrown away the Wizards cap space on old aging veterans who are offering declining production, and don't match the production they offered in their last season of free agency, he will have no one but himself to blame.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#524 » by verbal8 » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:04 pm

Jay81 wrote:This was very depressing....quote from Ted on Teds take

We took one tiny step along a long journey last night when we qualified for our first playoff appearance in 6 years as a franchise. It is a modest yet very positive accomplishment, and I am proud of the team,and the staff and leadership of the franchise.

He is acknowledging that making the play-offs isn't that big a deal. I don't think just making the play-offs is enough, he also mentions:

Click around, smile but don't celebrate. The journey is the reward.

I think he has left himself enough wiggle room to enjoy owning a play-off team, but to go in another direction in terms of the front-office. He also mentions 100% player turn-over - Who is responsible for bringing in the players that needed to be replaced?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#525 » by queridiculo » Thu Apr 3, 2014 7:42 pm

closg00 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:BTW, no one posted it - so it is appropriate that it be posted here:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Congratulations to EG and Wittman for securing extensions.

What??

By returning to the playoffs, Ernie & Randy are safe bets to get some kind of an extension. :banghead:

I was more surprised by the congrats, made it sound like a fait accompli.

There's still hope at least, but it was clear to me from the moment Ted green lit the Gortat trade that Grunfeld was going to be back.

Shame on Ted. You'd think he would have learned by now how a GM can sink your franchise and that steadfastly staying the course does not a winner build.

Monumental fail.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,022

Post#526 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 4, 2014 7:54 pm

No rename of the thread?

FAH1223 wrote:Rename?

Nivek wrote:The thread title needs to be changed:

COUNTDOWN TO ERNIE GRUNFELD EXTENSION
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#527 » by FAH1223 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 8:12 pm

will not re-name. Enough is enough. HE MUST GOOOOOOOOOOOO and the entire front office too

this is a disaster, most of you will realize it this summer when the same crappy guy makes the same crappy moves :(
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#528 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:19 pm

FAH - everyone (well almost) agrees with you - remember the Poll? And now with the new ESPN ratings - it is pretty much undeniable to all but the most irrational fan.

Where I define fan or fanatic (n.) A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

But it is also fait accompli that both EG and Wittman will be extended - hence why the name change request.

I am pretty sure there will be a "Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 3)" - eventually it will come to pass.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#529 » by montestewart » Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:32 pm

dckingsfan wrote:FAH - everyone (well almost) agrees with you - remember the Poll? And now with the new ESPN ratings - it is pretty much undeniable to all but the most irrational fan.

Where I define fan or fanatic (n.) A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

But it is also fait accompli that both EG and Wittman will be extended - hence why the name change request.

I am pretty sure there will be a "Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing (Part 3)" - eventually it will come to pass.

My favorite definition of fan I got from Bill James. I don't know how reliable his research was, but he traced the term from the 19th century use of the word fancier for someone who likes baseball. "I am a baseball fancier." It sounds very civilized.

I am a fan. I fancy the Wizards. I do not fancy EG and other foreign occupiers. Isn't that fancy? I think I'm going to start using that word exclusively at sports bars and such. "Oh yeah, I'm a big Wizards fancier." I'll have to use a very affected voice on the last word.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#530 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:40 pm

Too funny...

Countdown to Grunfeld Foreign Occupation Removal
closg00
RealGM

Post#531 » by closg00 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:55 pm

My conclusion from watching Ted's interviews and reading his blog, is that the guy isn't very smart. That, or he must very hands-off and deferential to his FO. Why else would he say that Jan Vesely was "fundamentally sound"?
A smart owner would show Ernie the door after Maynor and the SOS Gortat trade.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#532 » by montestewart » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:21 pm

closg00 wrote:My conclusion from watching Ted's interviews and reading his blog, is that the guy isn't very smart. That, or he must very hands-off and deferential to his FO. Why else would he say that Jan Vesely was "fundamentally sound"?
A smart owner would show Ernie the door after Maynor and the SOS Gortat trade.

I doubt he just stumbled into his wealth through dumb luck, but even smart people have flaws and blind spots. I don't anytime soon expect him to say or write anything that even tacitly acknowledges error, and sometimes his writing goes through torturous contortions to justify, rationalize, and claim everything is according to the already clearly articulated plan. I guess it's not really good PR to keep proclaiming "I screwed up," but his constant communication with the public really highlights what seems either dishonesty or a disconnect from reality.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,976

Post#533 » by DCZards » Fri Apr 4, 2014 11:26 pm

Ted is a public figure--and most likely a very smart man--and the things he says in his blog are going to be very calculated. He and his staff know that what he says has wider implications than, say, what one of us writes on RealGM.

I'd take what Ted writes on his blog with a grain of salt. I certainly wouldn't expect total honesty and candor.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#534 » by montestewart » Sat Apr 5, 2014 12:09 am

DCZards wrote:Ted is a public figure--and most likely a very smart man--and the things he says in his blog are going to be very calculated. He and his staff know that what he says has wider implications than, say, what one of us writes on RealGM.

I'd take what Ted writes on his blog with a grain of salt. I certainly wouldn't expect total honesty and candor.

Come on, man! What we write here is of earth shaking import!
closg00
RealGM

Post#535 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:06 am

DCZards wrote:Ted is a public figure--and most likely a very smart man--and the things he says in his blog are going to be very calculated. He and his staff know that what he says has wider implications than, say, what one of us writes on RealGM.

It is NOT a given that being wealthy = being smart.
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#536 » by noworriesinmd » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:15 am

closg00 wrote:

It is NOT a given that being wealthy = being smart.

Wealthy = 17M+ according to CNBC
Lindsey Lohan, MC Hammer, Mike Tyson (actually really smart), Jordan Belfort, Allen Stanford, etc....

Money does not equal intelligence. However, I have no problems with him being calculated in his blog...last year some on this message board were complaining that he didn't put his words through a filter. I agree, take it with a grain of salt and realize it's just marketing.
closg00
RealGM

Post#537 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:41 pm

I would very-much like to read Kevin's take on ESPN's ranking of best/worst drafting GM's. Ernie is not on the best list (Duh), nor is he on the worst. I don't know if its because Ernie has given-away so-many assets that he does not "track" in the methodology.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/ ... fresh/true
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#538 » by dckingsfan » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:22 pm

closg00 wrote:I would very-much like to read Kevin's take on ESPN's ranking of best/worst drafting GM's. Ernie is not on the best list (Duh), nor is he on the worst. I don't know if its because Ernie has given-away so-many assets that he does not "track" in the methodology.

I kind of agree on the orginal ESPN placement +/- 1 or two places... he is definitely a bottom 10 GM - especially when you aggregate all of his moves.
closg00
RealGM

Post#539 » by closg00 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:57 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
closg00 wrote:I would very-much like to read Kevin's take on ESPN's ranking of best/worst drafting GM's. Ernie is not on the best list (Duh), nor is he on the worst. I don't know if its because Ernie has given-away so-many assets that he does not "track" in the methodology.

I kind of agree on the orginal ESPN placement +/- 1 or two places... he is definitely a bottom 10 GM - especially when you aggregate all of his moves.

Yup, still waiting on a numbers person to shed some light on ESPN's methodology. Grunfeld is off the worst drafting GM radar, not is he listed amongst the rest of the worst-of list. Ernie does show-up as a
Bottom 5 GM list in the other article.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#540 » by MJG » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:20 pm

I think you're overestimating either how poorly EG drafts, or how well other GMs draft. EG certainly isn't good, but I would have been shocked if he was rated out as one of the ten worst out of hundreds of other candidates over the past 25 years.

Return to Washington Wizards