Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 3.0 

Post#1621 » by 80sballboy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Nice win over Northwestern.

I STILL THINK THE TERPS CAN SNEAK INTO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT...shouting but don't tell anyone. :)

Maryland is 60 in the RPI. The selection committee does not look at Ken Pom. They have to win out, beat Michigan, probably win 2 games in the Big 10 Tourney and maybe they will sneak in. Their road record is horrible. No way they let them in with their best win being Butler and a horrific road record. They are 1-8 against top 50 RPI teams.

Joe Linardi said the Terps have a 46% chance to make the NCAA tournament.

That's shocking but it doesn't matter if they don't take care of business. They have no resume' right now. Now at the moment, Nebraska is 55 in the RPI and Michigan is 37. They have to beat Nebraska on Tuesday, if not, they need the rest of their games and probably two in the Big 10 trny but maybe I'm wrong if Lombardi thinks a .500 or less than .500 Big 10 team can make the Big Dance.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1622 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:04 am

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 3.0 

Post#1623 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:06 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
This young man turned down offers from Villanova, Virginia, Miami, University of Southern California, and Florida to stay in his home state and to play for the Maryland Terrapins.
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1624 » by 80sballboy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm

So how about them Terps? Now have lost 7 straight on the road. Bid now is an extreme long shot.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1625 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1626 » by 80sballboy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Good win over Northwestern on the road. A win over Michigan would make things interesting but they would still need a big win in the Big 10 trny. A loss means they'll have to win the whole thing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1627 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 pm

80sballboy wrote:Good win over Northwestern on the road. A win over Michigan would make things interesting but they would still need a big win in the Big 10 trny. A loss means they'll have to win the whole thing.

Definitely need a win over Michigan - which is very doable. If they win that, I think they're pretty much a lock if they win their first round game because of a relatively strong finish and a 21-12 record.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1628 » by 80sballboy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Good win over Northwestern on the road. A win over Michigan would make things interesting but they would still need a big win in the Big 10 trny. A loss means they'll have to win the whole thing.

Definitely need a win over Michigan - which is very doable. If they win that, I think they're pretty much a lock if they win their first round game because of a relatively strong finish and a 21-12 record.

Nah, their RPI (59) is not good enough. Their resume' is not strong enough. Butler and Michigan (if they win). A 21-12 record means very little in college basketball if 12-14 of those wins are against bad teams and right now, most feel that only four teams from the Big 10 are getting in. Just because you beat Iowa in the first round of the Big 10 trny, that's not enough. They need to be a stronger team than that. Their best win in the Big 10 is over No. 127 Northwetern. Michigan is 28 so that would be strong but their road record with just 2 wins is abysmal.

Saying that as a Maryland fan since the mid 70s. Just being realistic and going through what most are saying and that's they need to get to the finals of the trny if they beat Michigan or win the whole thing if the don't. I think maybe semifinals is enough if they can take out a MSU, Purdue, Ohio State or MIchigan again.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1629 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Nah, their RPI (59) is not good enough. Their resume' is not strong enough. Butler and Michigan (if they win). A 21-12 record means very little in college basketball if 12-14 of those wins are against bad teams and right now, most feel that only four teams from the Big 10 are getting in. Just because you beat Iowa in the first round of the Big 10 trny, that's not enough. They need to be a stronger team than that. Their best win in the Big 10 is over No. 127 Northwetern. Michigan is 28 so that would be strong but their road record with just 2 wins is abysmal.

Saying that as a Maryland fan since the mid 70s. Just being realistic and going through what most are saying and that's they need to get to the finals of the trny if they beat Michigan or win the whole thing if the don't. I think maybe semifinals is enough if they can take out a MSU, Purdue, Ohio State or MIchigan again.

I think it's odd that Nebraska's not in at this point - but I don't know anything about their strength of schedule, and I haven't studied it. But I think one of Penn State or Maryland will make it - because they're both pretty good teams that are looking strong as the season ends. And they are teams that get ratings - people want to see Tony Carr, people want to see MD. When it comes down to it, those things matter, imo. Otherwise, they'd have computers choosing, and Dick Vitale wouldn't be whining the next day.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1630 » by 80sballboy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Definitely need a win over Michigan - which is very doable. If they win that, I think they're pretty much a lock if they win their first round game because of a relatively strong finish and a 21-12 record.

I think it's odd that Nebraska's not in at this point - but I don't know anything about their strength of schedule, and I haven't studied it. But I think one of Penn State or Maryland will make it - because they're both pretty good teams that are looking strong as the season ends. And they are teams that get ratings - people want to see Tony Carr, people want to see MD. When it comes down to it, those things matter, imo. Otherwise, they'd have computers choosing, and Dick Vitale wouldn't be whining the next day.

Really? People want to see Penn State basketball? Who, Tim Frazier? Maryland has missed out on the tournament before with much better teams and that only matters if they are very close to getting in, which as of right now, they aren't. Like it or not, RPI and SOS are big factors in what the committee looks at and sure, TV ratings matter when it comes to putting Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA or Kentucky in easier brackets so they can get to the Final Four. They don't want a Wichita State, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and Rhode Island or Cincinnati Final Four, I get that.

But if the committee has Kentucky and Maryland on the bubble, and both are close when it comes to resume', they are going with Ky. Though their road win last night against a pretty good Arkansas team by 15 was impressive. Md doesn't have a win like that.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1631 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Really? People want to see Penn State basketball? Who, Tim Frazier? Maryland has missed out on the tournament before with much better teams and that only matters if they are very close to getting in, which as of right now, they aren't. Like it or not, RPI and SOS are big factors in what the committee looks at and sure, TV ratings matter when it comes to putting Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA or Kentucky in easier brackets so they can get to the Final Four. They don't want a Wichita State, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, and Rhode Island or Cincinnati Final Four, I get that.

I said people want to see players like Tony Carr... he plays for Penn State. The ESPN college basketball talking heads have been raving about him lately. That matters, imo.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1632 » by Wizardspride » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
RealGM

Post#1633 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:44 am

Sean Miller is about to get the axe in Arizona.

I think Mark Turgeon could be in trouble or whoever recruited Diamond Stone. Bino Ranson?
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1634 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:27 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The program is going down.

The coaching fraternity and their players need to man up. Never lie to a grand jury. Never obstruct justice.

Limit ALL media access.

Walk out on the NCAA. Boycott games if players are getting hung out to dry.

What needs to happen is for a total act of unity among all involved. They need to lawyer up. Sue the NCAA. Refuse to field a team.

The whole system is a mess but the real issue is about money.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1635 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Sue the NCAA for what? It's an FBI investigation. Seems like they supposedly have tape of Sean Miller offering 100,000 to Ayton. Hey, if coach's really got involved in payoffs for prospects, they should no longer have coaching jobs. But punishing the universities... I think the NCAA typically goes too far. Punish the people who intentionally broke the rules.

Don't know if this affected the team, but they're getting destroyed today - no NCAA tournament this year.
RealGM

Post#1636 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:Sue the NCAA for what? It's an FBI investigation. Seems like they supposedly have tape of Sean Miller offering 100,000 to Ayton. Hey, if coach's really got involved in payoffs for prospects, they should no longer have coaching jobs. But punishing the universities... I think the NCAA typically goes too far. Punish the people who intentionally broke the rules.

Don't know if this affected the team, but they're getting destroyed today - no NCAA tournament this year.
Sue the NCAA to do away with the one-and-done.

EDIT: in fact the NBA is responsible for that rule. I stand corrected, see 80s, below.

These same players who are being accused of accepting impermissible benefits are being denied the opportunity to play in the NBA because of collusion from the NCAA with the NBA. Both leagues profit off of these players.

The NBA would rather see them for a year before giving them huge contracts. That's age discrimination. The NCAA continues to make money off of TV network games in which these players are featured.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1637 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Redacted

Today I do not trust my rants...
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1638 » by 80sballboy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:15 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Redacted

I'll ignore what you said about the NCAA, since they are not responsible for the one-and-done. That's the NBA and they are likely to get rid of it in the next CBA. It didn't work last time when they had players jumping to the NBA straight out of HS that had no real backup plan when they fell on their face . Now they have the G-League and other options.

The Diamond Stone issue sounds like he took money from these agents without them knowing about it. If they had known or did know, the program is not dead. Then there would be about 50 programs dead but Turge would be fired.

But I know one thing. Their NCAA hopes are dead. They aren't good enough to win the Big 10 Tournament but that showing today against Michigan was as brutal as you'll see for a team that had the tiniest of chances if they had gotten to the Big 10 final to get in the Big Dance. They deserve the NIT. Let's just hope that this Stone thing is all about the agents.
RealGM

Post#1639 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:46 am

This was a poorly played/coached game and a really sad day for Maryland.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1640 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:04 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Redacted

I'll ignore what you said about the NCAA, since they are not responsible for the one-and-done. That's the NBA and they are likely to get rid of it in the next CBA. It didn't work last time when they had players jumping to the NBA straight out of HS that had no real backup plan when they fell on their face . Now they have the G-League and other options.

The Diamond Stone issue sounds like he took money from these agents without them knowing about it. If they had known or did know, the program is not dead. Then there would be about 50 programs dead but Turge would be fired.

But I know one thing. Their NCAA hopes are dead. They aren't good enough to win the Big 10 Tournament but that showing today against Michigan was as brutal as you'll see for a team that had the tiniest of chances if they had gotten to the Big 10 final to get in the Big Dance. They deserve the NIT. Let's just hope that this Stone thing is all about the agents.
A solution would be a much better NBA G League.

(I read the transcript to the video. )

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1168754755982

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards