ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1001 » by Wizardspride » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:31 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-walls-bond-wizards-special-era-staying-put-harder-ever-151736303.html

Why John Wall's bond with Wizards is special in era when staying put is harder than ever

WASHINGTON – In this era of unprecedented superstar movement, when pledges of commitment can be quickly flipped into trade demands or free-agent departures, John Wall had the easy part down when presented with the chance to commit his prime to the team that drafted him: He wanted to be in Washington.

When he hops on a scorer’s table and shouts, “This my city!” – as he did after his game-winning 3-pointer in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against Boston – Wall truly means it. Wall might rep Raleigh, North Carolina, and one season in Lexington, Kentucky, established the deepest of bonds, but Washington is home. He also has one of the more unique connections to the NBA community that he represents because he plays basketball in the hometown of his late father. So, unlike other stars who have been in similar positions, Wall wasn’t approaching with wandering eyes the expiration date on his tenure.

“I think a lot of players want to be in a certain place. Who wouldn’t want to be in L.A.? Who wouldn’t want to be in Miami? Those are amazing cities. Well, I’m in one of the best cities you want to be, in D.C. So I’m fine,” Wall told The Vertical, explaining why he agreed to a four-year extension worth $170 million that starts in 2019 and should keep him with the Wizards through 2023.

Leonsis has invested more than $400 million over the past two summers to keep Bradley Beal and Otto Porter and to reward Wall with the third-richest contract in NBA history. Beal and Porter benefited from the salary-cap spike that turned the $86 million extension Wall received in 2013 – when Wall was coming off a serious knee injury – into one of the league’s best bargains. Wall just had to wait his turn for the generational, nine-figure hook-up.

Wall has never forgotten how the Wizards’ organization never let him test the open market as a free agent, never let his name leak out in trade rumors and has always stepped up to take care of him at the first opportunity. “I know where I want to be. I know who I’m committed to,” Wall told The Vertical. “I could see if they did something disloyal to me, where I could be, ‘I got something on them, I’m going to pay them back.’ They have done nothing to me but been loyal to me. They stuck with me. They could’ve been, ‘Oh, he’s injury-prone, he’s not doing this, we’ve got to get rid of this guy.’ They’ve stuck with me through those tough times. And the player and the person that I’ve become now, is the same reason why I stuck with those guys.”
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1002 » by Halcyon » Tue Aug 8, 2017 1:34 am

I'm sure some of you guys have already seen these, but wanted to share for the others: some behind the scenes episodes with John Wall from Ballislife

Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1003 » by Wizardspride » Tue Aug 8, 2017 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1004 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Aug 9, 2017 11:06 am

Good to see john Weezy and the core together.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1005 » by Dark Faze » Wed Aug 9, 2017 1:09 pm

its crazy how well sheldon plays against john 1 on 1 but can't manage to secure a backup SG position for us

Hope he gets more games to show he can or can't do the job next year
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1006 » by keynote » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:00 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Good to see john Weezy and the core together.

Man, that court reminds me of the Supreme Court in Columbia, MD. I once saw the O's Brady Anderson shooting baskets there back in the day (during his playing career). We invited him to play; he declined (naturally). But, he was dunking with ease.

EDIT: now that I realize that it's just a bunch of church league schmoes out there, I'm fairly confident it *is* the Supreme Court (or, now, Supreme Sports Club). I'm old school Columbia enough to remember when that building housed Skateland, the indoor roller rink.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1007 » by keynote » Wed Aug 9, 2017 3:07 pm

Dark Faze wrote:its crazy how well sheldon plays against john 1 on 1 but can't manage to secure a backup SG position for us

Not that surprising. Mac clearly has decent one-on-one moves. It's the rest of his game that needs work. I'm sure Mac would do just fine in a professional "21" league (or "Utah," depending on where you're from).
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#1008 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:05 pm

keynote wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:its crazy how well sheldon plays against john 1 on 1 but can't manage to secure a backup SG position for us

Not that surprising. Mac clearly has decent one-on-one moves. It's the rest of his game that needs work. I'm sure Mac would do just fine in a professional "21" league (or "Utah," depending on where you're from).

Well of course his game needs work -- but I'd call that a little unfair all the same, given that he played pretty well in under 300 minutes as a rookie.

In terms of productivity, Mac was in the top 25-27% of all rookies last year. Ernie gets plenty of criticism, but Sheldon was definitely a find.

Now... Sheldon is older than any player drafted in 2016 and may have been the oldest rookie in the league last year (outside of Satoransky, who is a year older than Sheldon), & that definitely matters. So, he's not a prospect on the order of, e.g. Patrick McCaw (taken #38 that year) who is 4 years younger than he is. Yet, even when compared to all SGs in the league, Sheldon played pretty well.

I know the big knock on him here is his 3-pt. % which was low (just over 23%), but his 2-pt. % was very good (just over 51%) & his FT % was outstanding (just over 85%). None of these numbers mean very much, of course, given that 287 minutes is a small sample size. But if you are going to hold a bad number against him, you have to give him credit for the good ones too.

So, like Faze, I hope he gets a lot more minutes this year. With Thornton & Bogdanovic gone, their 1300 minutes are available. I'd say most of them should go go to Mac -- he should play at least 1000-1200 minutes.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,197

Post#1009 » by deneem4 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:59 pm

Wall can get MVP this year...

28/11/4....

Lead the league in assists and steals...

This can be wall year
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#1010 » by zero2hero » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:58 pm

deneem4 wrote:Wall can get MVP this year...

28/11/4....

Lead the league in assists and steals...

This can be wall year

Yep. A full summer of conditioning and I expect him to bring it every night. Seriously can't wait to see this year's Wall. All of our core are now fat (well, hopefully not), dumb, and happy since they all got paid so no more distractions.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1011 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:54 pm

keynote wrote:

Man, that court reminds me of the Supreme Court in Columbia, MD. I once saw the O's Brady Anderson shooting baskets there back in the day (during his playing career). We invited him to play; he declined (naturally). But, he was dunking with ease.

EDIT: now that I realize that it's just a bunch of church league schmoes out there, I'm fairly confident it *is* the Supreme Court (or, now, Supreme Sports Club). I'm old school Columbia enough to remember when that building housed Skateland, the indoor roller rink.

It's called Supreme Sports . I've seen a few Georgetown players there before , Henry sims , Hollis Thompson and some other fringe pro guys
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#1012 » by CobraCommander » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:28 am

Halcyon wrote:I'm sure some of you guys have already seen these, but wanted to share for the others: some behind the scenes episodes with John Wall from Ballislife

This was good to see...to see JW working on his game. It would have been cool to see Wall Beal and Otto working out together. I mean they are now ALL SIGNED...they need to get busy living or get busy...well you know.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#1013 » by FAH1223 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#1014 » by truwizfan4evr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 am

This could be John wall best season yet. I predict he will be top 4 in MVP voting this season.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1015 » by Halcyon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:43 am

Episode 4. They put in some of the original mixtape that put Wall on the map. I remember watching it back then, thinking he was unreal. He's grown so much since then, it's been amazing to see.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1016 » by BigA » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:09 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
keynote wrote:

It's called Supreme Sports . I've seen a few Georgetown players there before , Henry sims , Hollis Thompson and some other fringe pro guys

I've got to go to Columbia to see WizD breaking dudes' ankles?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1017 » by dangermouse » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:27 am

Man, got that feeling that Wall is gonna just kill mfers this year. Full healthy offseason. Dude is going to fight his way into superstar territory. He'll be top 5 MVP candidate all year and be in the top 3 conversation.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1018 » by Wizardspride » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:14 pm

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#1019 » by NatP4 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:39 pm

truwizfan4evr wrote:This could be John wall best season yet. I predict he will be top 4 in MVP voting this season.

If we committed to playing small ball and spreading the floor for him 24/7, he would run away with MVP trophy by ASB.

Wall could literally average 15 assists playing next to Beal Oubre Porter Gortat in a spread the floor and transition run and gun team.

Walls biggest weakness: teams switching, best counter for this: be the switching team by playing small, spread the floor.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1020 » by Wizardspride » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards