Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1121 » by DCRYsing89 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am

TGW wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Something is not right with WallStar. I used to think it was his health (especially his knees) but now it looks like it’s more between his ears.

I don’t know whether it’s the coaching, the Zards front office, his teammates, migraine headaches, the negative media coverage, his inconsistent play, the team’s struggles, his love life or something else, but Wall’s facial expressions and body language have displayed a real joylessness recently. And it’s impacting his oncourt performance.

I usually hate to see Wall smiling, talking and generally mucking it up with opponents during games, but lately you don’t even see him doing much of that.

Despite his bravado on and off the court, I sense that JWall is a very insecure person. What he might need more than anything else right now is a psychiatrist or someone he trusts to talk to so he can vent and get out whatever is leading to the mental funk he seems to be in.

I'm reluctant to play amateur shrink but I needed to put this out there for my own sanity.

Go Zards!

It was pretty striking seeing his body language vs. Westbrook's who was engaged and talking with every teammate... being the leader

It's simple. This franchise saps the soul out of players. Every franchise player the Wizards have built around ends up leaving/being traded away with delight. There's no joy knowing that you're involved with losers. The Wizards are losers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade demand this summer when he's eligible.

15% trade kicker, with his extension then gives him 50mil in his player option for 2022-2023 and also guarantied in 2021-2022...
If he wanted a trade he would have to agree to renegotiate.
So luckily or unluckily for us fans, the wiz wont be able to trade him easily unless he really wants out...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1122 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1123 » by Wizardspride » Sat Feb 3, 2018 6:17 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#1124 » by CobraCommander » Sat Feb 3, 2018 8:44 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Y’all know i love wall (check the battles between NatP4 and Me) and I have always thought that even with that weird and inconsistent J, WallStar is miles ahead of anyone else on our team. I would have argued he was the second best player in the east last year...but the truth is this- Johns physical gifts separate him from other people. No different from Shaq or DHoward...but very different from Lebron or Jordan....who are physically gifted but refined their games as their body’s changed/slowed down etc...Wall WILL NOT BE THE SAME post these surgeries and his game is still predicated on speed and athleticism (just like westbrook and rose) and if he (just like westbrook and especially rose) doesnt figure out how to be effective as his body changes he will be reduced to a rose level player... I am not wishing the worse for him (i think he is a great guy with an amazing story and the best player on our team when he can play like the 26year old wall) but he has to learn how to play basketball no differently than before or he is going to be a problem for the wiz contract-wise. This is the time when the wiz management needs to invest in coaching and medical staff to get wall the help that a 27 year old wont ask for (better coaching and better medical advice). What would westbrook and wall be with out their over the top physical gifts....Rose- We just saw a clearly hobbled wall against a healthy Westbrook and it wasn’t even fair.

I - unlike a lot of you- will give wall (who made the allstar team at 19 and 9 -second in the league in assist) a complete pass on this year and games when he didn’t seem like he was trying on defense.I dont think a man that couldn’t walk in the morning on game day(per reports) could go and play against Westbrook that night. Wall and the medical staff and coaching HURT the wiz by sending him out there injured...and if they dont come together and figure this out they might as well trade him cause there could be a cliff coming. AND IF WALL LEAVES...a lot of fans will be fans of his elsewhere - I know i will. I will love the wiz like i love the skins...but i was done with the skins once they had the rg3 fiasco, which turned into the Cousins confusion with eventually led to the Alex smith guaranteed contract at more than we could have got Kirk for!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1125 » by FAH1223 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:14 pm

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1126 » by 80sballboy » Tue Feb 6, 2018 9:39 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Y’all know i love wall (check the battles between NatP4 and Me) and I have always thought that even with that weird and inconsistent J, WallStar is miles ahead of anyone else on our team. I would have argued he was the second best player in the east last year...but the truth is this- Johns physical gifts separate him from other people. No different from Shaq or DHoward...but very different from Lebron or Jordan....who are physically gifted but refined their games as their body’s changed/slowed down etc...Wall WILL NOT BE THE SAME post these surgeries and his game is still predicated on speed and athleticism (just like westbrook and rose) and if he (just like westbrook and especially rose) doesnt figure out how to be effective as his body changes he will be reduced to a rose level player... I am not wishing the worse for him (i think he is a great guy with an amazing story and the best player on our team when he can play like the 26year old wall) but he has to learn how to play basketball no differently than before or he is going to be a problem for the wiz contract-wise. This is the time when the wiz management needs to invest in coaching and medical staff to get wall the help that a 27 year old wont ask for (better coaching and better medical advice). What would westbrook and wall be with out their over the top physical gifts....Rose- We just saw a clearly hobbled wall against a healthy Westbrook and it wasn’t even fair.

I - unlike a lot of you- will give wall (who made the allstar team at 19 and 9 -second in the league in assist) a complete pass on this year and games when he didn’t seem like he was trying on defense.I dont think a man that couldn’t walk in the morning on game day(per reports) could go and play against Westbrook that night. Wall and the medical staff and coaching HURT the wiz by sending him out there injured...and if they dont come together and figure this out they might as well trade him cause there could be a cliff coming. AND IF WALL LEAVES...a lot of fans will be fans of his elsewhere - I know i will. I will love the wiz like i love the skins...but i was done with the skins once they had the rg3 fiasco, which turned into the Cousins confusion with eventually led to the Alex smith guaranteed contract at more than we could have got Kirk for!

Life moves on, players move on. It's why I never get too attached to any player. The most pissed I ever got was when Jordan traded Rip Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse. I would not want Wall dealt unless it becomes obvious that he won't do what's best for the team and only for himself. Sure, some of it is coaching and John seems to get free reign to do whatever he wants. I think when he returns, Brooks has to adjust as well. Injuries might be holding him back defensively, but if he is being hampered, cut the minutes down.

Also, Beal has adjusted. He could take 30 shots a game and put up 30-35 points with Wall out. He basically tried that early in the season to mixed success when Wall was injured. But he doesn't need a bigger contract. He wants to win. Wall doesn't need a contract either.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1127 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:14 pm

Well, I still appreciate you John.

I may be the only on this board but whatever... :D
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1128 » by DCZards » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:33 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Well, I still appreciate you John.

I suspect that most on this board still appreciate WallStar. It's just that the haters always make the most noise.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1129 » by 80sballboy » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:19 pm

DCZards wrote:

I suspect that most on this board still appreciate WallStar. It's just that the haters always make the most noise.

I also think you can appreciate him without taking a million shots but also acknowledging some of his faults.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1130 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:32 pm

80sballboy wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Life moves on, players move on. It's why I never get too attached to any player. The most pissed I ever got was when Jordan traded Rip Hamilton for Jerry Stackhouse. I would not want Wall dealt unless it becomes obvious that he won't do what's best for the team and only for himself. Sure, some of it is coaching and John seems to get free reign to do whatever he wants. I think when he returns, Brooks has to adjust as well. Injuries might be holding him back defensively, but if he is being hampered, cut the minutes down.

Also, Beal has adjusted. He could take 30 shots a game and put up 30-35 points with Wall out. He basically tried that early in the season to mixed success when Wall was injured. But he doesn't need a bigger contract. He wants to win. Wall doesn't need a contract either.
We were both pissed about that Jordan trade of Rip Hamilton. We both knew that was a bad move from day one.

I think Kevin Broom thought it was a good trade. (He is on Twitter. Still making great observations about the Wizards). I just recalled most people did not see just how much that was going to tear up the team. Rip was such a great teammate. The good news is that in addition to having the NCAA championship from UConn he went on to play for the Pistons.

Whenever I post to trade a certain player, I try to send that player where I think he would be much better off.

I appreciate John Wall but I think if he were a Laker next year with Paul George he would be happy. I think it would be better than him staying a Wizard. He would be happy.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1131 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:38 pm

DCZards wrote:

It's just that what you interpret as hate is kind of misread.

Very specifically no I do not appreciate him at the super max contract. Anytime a guy'd already had any issues that just tells you that he's probably going to continue to have knee issues. (40M per the next few years!)

Very specifically, I realize that even with his knee being somewhat compromised he is still a much better than average player. WallStar is an All-Star. He is more gifted athletically than anyone on this team by a mile.

Part of me is thinking that when he comes back he will be able to blend in very well. Another part of me is saying it's unrealistic to expect the guy to change the way he plays.

I don't hate John Wall at all. He's like 27 years old. He should be on top of the world. I just wonder is it too much to ask him to not dribble the ball for the first 14 seconds of a possession. Is it too much for him to not take a quick shot every now and then that might throw the rest of the offense off. Now that we know how badly he was hurting it explains his defense.

When I saw John Wall on The Jump, I smiled. I know how I feel about the young man.

Nothing about hate. Not from me. I make a lot of noise. I am a disabled veteran who lives alone who hasn't seen his kids in years who knows what it feels like to sleep outside...

Right now my life is wonderful! I have great friends. I have a great church family. My son sent me the most awesome birthday present the other day... And every day I'm living and breathing is a good day.

I'm not even mad at you. Perhaps your worst criticisms of me are true. You probably really wouldn't want to say what you really think for fear they would really hurt my feelings.

It's all good.

God is love.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1132 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:42 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

It would be funny if the Skins brought in RG3 to backup Alex Smith!

Honestly I would love to see it.

Bye bye Beal.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,949

Post#1133 » by CobraCommander » Wed Feb 7, 2018 8:59 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

It would be funny if the Skins brought in RG3 to backup Alex Smith!

Honestly I would love to see it.

Lol trueeeee

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1134 » by DCZards » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:29 pm

DCZards wrote:

Very specifically no I do not appreciate him at the super max contract. Anytime a guy'd already had any issues that just tells you that he's probably going to continue to have knee issues. (40M per the next few years!)

Very specifically, I realize that even with his knee being somewhat compromised he is still a much better than average player. WallStar is an All-Star. He is more gifted athletically than anyone on this team by a mile.

Part of me is thinking that when he comes back he will be able to blend in very well. Another part of me is saying it's unrealistic to expect the guy to change the way he plays.

I don't hate John Wall at all. He's like 27 years old. He should be on top of the world. I just wonder is it too much to ask him to not dribble the ball for the first 14 seconds of a possession. Is it too much for him to not take a quick shot every now and then that might throw the rest of the offense off. Now that we know how badly he was hurting it explains his defense.

When I saw John Wall on The Jump, I smiled. I know how I feel about the young man.

Nothing about hate. Not from me. I make a lot of noise. I am a disabled veteran who lives alone who hasn't seen his kids in years who knows what it feels like to sleep outside...

Right now my life is wonderful! I have great friends. I have a great church family. My son sent me the most awesome birthday present the other day... And every day I'm living and breathing is a good day.

I'm not even mad at you. Perhaps your worst criticisms of me are true. You probably really wouldn't want to say what you really think for fear they would really hurt my feelings.

It's all good.

God is love.

CCJ, I probably shouldn’t have come at you that hard in the other thread. But sometimes it seems like you never pass on an opportunity to stick it to JWall...and I get a little annoyed at that. Most of us have acknowledged Wall’s shortcomings (bad turnovers, poor midrange shooting, too much pounding the rock, mediocre leadership skills, etc. ). And I agree that at $40 mil he’s grossly overpaid…as are most of the max salary players in the NBA. But you can’t blame Wall for getting every dime that the Zards were willing to pay.

I think Wall has earned the benefit of the doubt and that we all need to step back and wait and see what we get with a healthy, happy Wall. I hope it’s obvious to Wall that some of what he does on the court needs to change to reflect and mesh with how the Zards are playing without him. That might be overly optimistic…but that’s how I roll.

ccj, you need to know that I have mad respect for your bball insight and your contributions to this board.

One love!
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1135 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:34 pm

DCZards wrote:
DCZards wrote:

It's all good.

God is love.

CCJ, I probably shouldn’t have come at you that hard in the other thread. But sometimes it seems like you never pass on an opportunity to stick it to JWall...and I get a little annoyed at that. Most of us have acknowledged Wall’s shortcomings (bad turnovers, poor midrange shooting, too much pounding the rock, mediocre leadership skills, etc. ). And I agree that at $40 mil he’s grossly overpaid…as are most of the max salary players in the NBA. But you can’t blame Wall for getting every dime that the Zards were willing to pay.

I think Wall has earned the benefit of the doubt and that we all need to step back and wait and see what we get with a healthy, happy Wall. I hope it’s obvious to Wall that some of what he does on the court needs to change to reflect and mesh with how the Zards are playing without him. That might be overly optimistic…but that’s how I roll.

ccj, you need to know that I have mad respect for your bball insight and your contributions to this board.

One love!

One Love!

What I said about you don't know about basketball... You have totally different values. I just don't see things the same way you do about getting along with people. I'm not going to say nothing makes you mad but it's like you you're always giving people the benefit of a doubt....

You have more charisma and charm than I do. I think you would be the type of person that has a lot of friends. I'm not mad at you, either.

It's all good man

I prefer you say the stuff that you really think and come hard at me. Most of the time when people check me I'm wrong.

There is some truth to what you said about me not resisting an opportunity.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1136 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 7, 2018 9:39 pm

Since this is a John Wall appreciation thread I'm going to leave the me stuff out...

I appreciate John Wall.
Bye bye Beal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1137 » by Kanyewest » Wed Feb 7, 2018 10:22 pm

Wizards will be a better team with Wall in the postseason.

Do not rush him back like Gilbert and risk the rest of his career if he isn't 100%.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1138 » by Wizardspride » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:04 am

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1139 » by Wizardspride » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1140 » by payitforward » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:13 pm

It's interesting what a lightning rod John Wall is. Differences of opinion about Otto Porter or Marcin Gortat or Kelly Oubre don't turn into the kind of intense -- & often personal -- carrying on that posting about Wall seems to elicit most of the time.

Probably be a good idea to remind oneself from time to time that these guy are basically wealthy professional entertainers & that in the end there is absolutely nothing at stake in NBA games. It's just one of the ways the public is entertained.

That's not intended to belittle any of them -- not John, neither Gortat nor Oubre, not anyone else. Just a way to keep some perspective so as not to get overheated.

Or so it seems to me anyway. YMMV.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards