ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1781 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:26 am

Dark Faze wrote:I hope Cousins lasts the season. He moves like he weighs 500 lbs.

Boogie Cousins lost out by not accepting the contract that (corrected) New Orleans was willing to offer to keep him. He went to the championship Golden State Warriors team on an expiring deal, and then he got injured.

He’s clearly lost athleticism. Looks very floor bound.
Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#1782 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:26 am

Wall still took some brutal contested mid range jumpers I. That half....they just went in.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1783 » by Dark Faze » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:37 am

Patrick Williams is going to be a very good pro.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1784 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:39 am

Dark Faze wrote:Patrick Williams is going to be a very good pro.

Might he become the reason for an Otto Porter trade?

I agree he looks like a real good player.
Bye bye Beal.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1785 » by Meliorus » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:40 am

NatP4 wrote:Wall still took some brutal contested mid range jumpers I. That half....they just went in.

Why are you posting in the appreciation thread? You realize Westbrook loves shooting those midrange jumpers, and doesn't take threes. Houston is loving Wall, everyone on ClutchFans is saying it's night and day between Wall and Westbrook. The passing skill gap is also bigger than people think.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,363

Post#1786 » by doclinkin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:48 am

Nice to see John healthy, I normally totally forget about players once they leave DC, but I will probably follow the Roxx some this year.

Also cool to see Satoransky play and get appreciation.HIs game has matured some since he was here. The same basic game, but more confidence, less hesitant.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1787 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:58 am

Just watching the Bulls/Rockets --

Can anyone name the 2d ex-Wizard playing for Houston tonight? Other than John?
Spoiler:
Danuel House -- & what a nice success story he is! Undrafted in 2016. Played 1 minute for us in 2016-17....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1788 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:11 am

Meliorus wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Wall still took some brutal contested mid range jumpers I. That half....they just went in.

Why are you posting in the appreciation thread? You realize Westbrook loves shooting those midrange jumpers, and doesn't take threes. Houston is loving Wall, everyone on ClutchFans is saying it's night and day between Wall and Westbrook. The passing skill gap is also bigger than people think.

we'll see about the "passing skill gap", but Wall does not appear to have lost a step athletically. That should have rockets fans excited.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1789 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:14 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

classic Sato, has 11-5-5 on 4 total shots in 22 minutes.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1790 » by doclinkin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:37 am

NatP4 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:

we'll see about the "passing skill gap", but Wall does not appear to have lost a step athletically. That should have rockets fans excited.

John has lost a step. And a little bounce. But he was 4 steps ahead of most players when he was at his peak. He still has 2 more to lose.
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1791 » by Shanghai Kid » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:36 am

doclinkin wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:

John has lost a step. And a little bounce. But he was 4 steps ahead of most players when he was at his peak. He still has 2 more to lose.

Someone else said this and I agree, it seems like his top/straight line speed has been diminished, but his change of speed/pace still seemed lighting fast. His fake out move where he goes one way and then does the hard cross looked just as good as his old self.

But the thing is, he isn't IT, he's still a big strong guard. His combination of size and speed is still going to be a problem for guys to deal with.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#1792 » by TGW » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:39 am

Wall looked fantastic tonight.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1793 » by bsilver » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Great to see Wall play so well last night. He is my favorite player, so it was so disappointing to see him traded.

Demarcus Cousins, another favorite, was also impressive.

Rockets could be a surprise this year. They were playing the woeful Bulls, so hard to tell. But they were dominating without Wood, Harden, and Tucker. The over/under is 33.5 wins. That's way off if Harden isn't traded. It will be fun to follow Wall and the Rockets this year.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1794 » by JWizmentality » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:03 pm

Wall with a jumpshot has always been our wet dream. Maybe it has finally come to fruition...somewhere else. :-(
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1795 » by pcbothwel » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:05 pm

TGW wrote:Wall looked fantastic tonight.

Agreed... I've been saying this for months.
That said, this is the first time touching the floor in 2 years and Im sure he was amped up.

My curiosity is his focus through out the year in the dog days.
He also took 3/10 shoots as 21/22 foot long two's. The worst shot you can take.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1796 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Really bittersweet.

So glad for him. Heartbreaking watching him do it in another jersey.

I won’t be surprised if a rested, motivated, fit Wall with a jumpshot ends up better than Westbrook this year.
In Rizzo we trust
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1797 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:36 pm

doclinkin wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:

Its so hard to tell man. Not if you compared the last two years we saw him in a Wizards uni. Maybe a notch slower from 16-17 but that's sorta expected w/o serious injury over the course of 3+ years. Also its the first preseason game so you can only take so much from it. But whatever the case, he's absolutely got enough athleticism, size & skill left to cause major problems for defenses.

I just wish Ted/Shepp had waited... Wall would have rebuilt some trade value in no time if they were patient.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1798 » by doclinkin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Its so hard to tell man. Not if you compared the last two years we saw him in a Wizards uni. Maybe a notch slower from 16-17 but that's sorta expected w/o serious injury over the course of 3+ years. Also its the first preseason game so you can only take so much from it. But whatever the case, he's absolutely got enough athleticism, size & skill left to cause major problems for defenses.

I just wish Ted/Shepp had waited... Wall would have rebuilt some trade value in no time if they were patient.

Yeah he's quicker than bone spurs Wall. And quicker than burning off weight in training camp Wall. But he says he is in the best shape of his life, and by that measure, he has a slight hitch in his step, and is making lay-ups not dunks. But yeah, he is still quick and savvy. Ted would put up with years of bad decisions by Grunfeld, and recruit the worst of the bad actors, and even trade draft picks for the worse Morris brother, but decided to sell Wall cheap because of one video. Ted is a punk for that and I tire of his act. I can like the squad we got and the players and the attitude and 'character' and still dislike Ted for his smarmy hypocrisy.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1799 » by bsilver » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Barely recognized Otto Porter. Looks to be lots heavier. I wonder if he still has the mobility to play SF. And the Bulls have a logjam at PF, so his future may not be bright in Chicago.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#1800 » by Shoe » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:15 pm

This trade was a win for Wall and he deserves it. Hopefully it's a win-win as Wall is a super accurate passer to 3 point shooters and Westbrook can pace to get easy baskets for cutters like Rui, Deni, Troy. Walls drive and kickout passing is more useful to a 5 out team like the Rockets.

Return to Washington Wizards