ImageImageImageImageImage

John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1801 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:31 pm

Couldn't be happier for Wall if he's back to his old self. But let us pump the breaks on the hot takes after one preseason game.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#1802 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:05 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Yeah he's quicker than bone spurs Wall. And quicker than burning off weight in training camp Wall. But he says he is in the best shape of his life, and by that measure, he has a slight hitch in his step, and is making lay-ups not dunks. But yeah, he is still quick and savvy. Ted would put up with years of bad decisions by Grunfeld, and recruit the worst of the bad actors, and even trade draft picks for the worse Morris brother, but decided to sell Wall cheap because of one video. Ted is a punk for that and I tire of his act. I can like the squad we got and the players and the attitude and 'character' and still dislike Ted for his smarmy hypocrisy.

The fundamental problem with the Wizards organization is that we replaced one of the worst owners in sports with a guy who was there for every bad decision he made, who kept one of the worst GMs in sports, then hired the guy who was there for every bad decision he made

Even if it does work out, the process was inane. There is absolutely no excuse for this much continuity when the Wizards have been one of the worst run organizations in sports.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#1803 » by TGW » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Wall with another spectacular game, albeit preseason.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1804 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:16 pm

TGW wrote:Wall with another spectacular game, albeit preseason.

Just nitpicking, but I wouldn't call it spectacular. It was an average game. He scored 21 points in 24 minutes with a TS% of .525, 4 assists and 3 turnovers and a -4 on/off differential. If he did that for a full 36 minutes, that would have been a rather inefficient 31 points with only 6 assists to go with 5 turnovers. That's not a bad game or anything, but not a particularly great one either. It's enough to make me happy for him that he is pretty close to his former self, but I don't yet feel massive pangs of regret for trading him.

The question is, how long will it hold up over the grind of the regular season?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1805 » by pcbothwel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Agreed Nate. And he was defended by Coby white and Zach Lavine.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#1806 » by NatP4 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:08 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Yeah he's quicker than bone spurs Wall. And quicker than burning off weight in training camp Wall. But he says he is in the best shape of his life, and by that measure, he has a slight hitch in his step, and is making lay-ups not dunks. But yeah, he is still quick and savvy. Ted would put up with years of bad decisions by Grunfeld, and recruit the worst of the bad actors, and even trade draft picks for the worse Morris brother, but decided to sell Wall cheap because of one video. Ted is a punk for that and I tire of his act. I can like the squad we got and the players and the attitude and 'character' and still dislike Ted for his smarmy hypocrisy.

The fundamental problem with the Wizards organization is that we replaced one of the worst owners in sports with a guy who was there for every bad decision he made, who kept one of the worst GMs in sports, then hired the guy who was there for every bad decision he made

Even if it does work out, the process was inane. There is absolutely no excuse for this much continuity when the Wizards have been one of the worst run organizations in sports.

I agree with this, but I think Shepard has done an outstanding job as GM so far.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1807 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:32 am

Chaos Revenant wrote:The fundamental problem with the Wizards organization is that we replaced one of the worst owners in sports with a guy who was there for every bad decision he made, who kept one of the worst GMs in sports, then hired the guy who was there for every bad decision he made

Oh, I think Ted did absolutely everything he could think of to hire a big name from outside the organization -- & then was shocked to discover that no one wanted the job! That's the only reason Tommy is running things.

That's not to suggest that Ted took a hard look in the mirror & figured out that the problem was with the guy he saw in there. I very much doubt it!

But, I do think it is why there's been so much overall change in the FO. I wouldn't say Ted knows what he's doing, but he did understand that he had to make radical changes. The more change the better given that the organization looked rotten.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#1808 » by Endless Loop » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:41 am

Not as good a night tonight for the former point guard. Played half the game. Took more shots than anybody else on the team. 3 assists, 4 TO. Only starter with negative +-.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#1809 » by trast66 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 am

He looked like John Wall tonight, all the good and not as good we know about.

Unfortunately James Harden looked like Kendrick Perkins.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1810 » by pcbothwel » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:33 pm

trast66 wrote:He looked like John Wall tonight, all the good and not as good we know about.

Yeah, its preseason... but he looks to always try to prove himself on offense with iso ball and his rotations on defense were awful and lazy
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1811 » by Frichuela » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:16 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
trast66 wrote:He looked like John Wall tonight, all the good and not as good we know about.

Yeah, its preseason... but he looks to always try to prove himself on offense with iso ball and his rotations on defense were awful and lazy

That is a shame. As Paul Pierce used to challenge him, Wall has the potential to be a top defender...but for whatever reason is just "potential"..
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1812 » by nate33 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:22 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

That Houston environment is going to be awful for him. Their entire offense has no motion whatsoever and it's going to play into Wall's tendencies to stand flatfooted when he not with the ball or on the ball defensively.

I watched one possession where Wall made a pass to Ben Gordon on the left wing behind the 3-point line and he and Harden both just started walking back across half court. There was still about 8 seconds on the shot clock! Gordon never made any attempt to move the ball or anything. He just danced around with his dribble and then launched a contested 3-pointer that bricked. I know it's preseason, but I've never seen anything like that. Two teammates just abandoned the other 3 on offense so that they could play 3 on 5.

I actually thought Wall looked okay on defense, during the 1st quarter at least. He seemed dialed in.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#1813 » by Meliorus » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:59 pm

If Harden plays they'll be a good team, the team philosophy hasn't changed under Silas, that team will launch threes. If you launch threes, you can beat anyone. Not to mention Silas was the architect for the historic Dallas offense last season.

Wall is rusty in some areas like air balling a three and missing free throws, but he's showing good flashes on some of his drives to the rim where it's just so easy for him to get a wide-open layup. He might have slowed down, but I'm not sure how much he has slowed down. This is his patented right to left lookaway crossover.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1814 » by Kanyewest » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:13 pm

Wall looks good defensively to start games although it looks like he doesn't have the energy to sustain it. Perhaps he's conserving himself because it is just preseason but as others mentioned, it reminds me of his bad defensive habits over the last few seasons.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1815 » by Dark Faze » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:52 pm

His defense looked as good as I've seen it in a while last night.

The Rockets don't have much motion which is true but one thing they do much better than any of our wizards team is their guards/wings are significantly more likely to shoot the ball or immediately drive off of a pass--and that makes John a lot more difficult to defend. The Rockets have guys who just don't care at all and will launch with just any amount of space at all. If they have that mentality while still being able to hit threes at a high level as a team, then John's going to put up great offensive numbers in that system.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1816 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:37 am

The Rockets are giggling...
Bye bye Beal.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#1817 » by CobraCommander » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Rockets are giggling...

Not anymore....
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1818 » by Shanghai Kid » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:54 pm

I'm the biggest John Wall fan, but for some reason in Houston he's become an extremely seflish chucker. I don't know if he's just trying to put up numbers to prove he's back, but it really feels like watching a different player. He's no longer a pass-first player and his ego won't allow him to take a backseat. For all his faults with us, he was always a great passer. But for some reason he thinks he's an elite scorer?

I still think he can be a really valuable third option, but he has to let go of thinking he's a franchise player or a star, he's out there taking 20-25 shots and missing everything. It's honestly just him needing to be self aware and adapting to a new role in the NBA.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#1819 » by CobraCommander » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:24 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:I'm the biggest John Wall fan, but for some reason in Houston he's become an extremely seflish chucker. I don't know if he's just trying to put up numbers to prove he's back, but it really feels like watching a different player. He's no longer a pass-first player and his ego won't allow him to take a backseat. For all his faults with us, he was always a great passer. But for some reason he thinks he's an elite scorer?

I still think he can be a really valuable third option, but he has to let go of thinking he's a franchise player or a star, he's out there taking 20-25 shots and missing everything. It's honestly just him needing to be self aware and adapting to a new role in the NBA.

The biggest indictments on John his whole career have been despite extreme talent he lacks self awareness, isn’t a leader and doesn’t play winning basketball. John definitely is a good dude and we love him as a person in the dmv...but harden wanted out and wouldn’t even consider running it back with JW and they went on a 20 game losing streak.

Fox and Jah should be watching JWs career so they get similar money and then later on they can play like CP3 and contribute when the athletic ability isn’t better than everyone else.

Houston would buy wall out right now if they could...but John knows this is his last big deal
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Re: Official John Wall Appreciation Thread 

Post#1820 » by Wizardspride » Wed Mar 9, 2022 6:36 pm

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries

Return to Washington Wizards