John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1841 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:17 pm

After their contracts are over (after next season), we'll probably sign both Wall and Westbrook for the veteran minimum to share the point guard minutes.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,922

Post#1842 » by CobraCommander » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:After their contracts are over (after next season), we'll probably sign both Wall and Westbrook for the veteran minimum to share the point guard minutes.

Can we bring back brooks so Westbrook Wall Beal Ish and Neto can play together ?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1843 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:54 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Ruzious wrote:After their contracts are over (after next season), we'll probably sign both Wall and Westbrook for the veteran minimum to share the point guard minutes.

Can we bring back brooks so Westbrook Wall Beal Ish and Neto can play together ?

No, we'll bring back Brooks to play... with Westbrook, Wall, Ish and Neto. :nod:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#1844 » by CobraCommander » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

No, we'll bring back Brooks to play... with Westbrook, Wall, Ish and Neto. :nod:

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1845 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jun 7, 2022 12:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=3Fwpknk-k-x3EX71z8t7Mw&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#1846 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 7, 2022 2:58 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Otto Porter (career best EFG% with Was)
Marcin Gortat (ditto)
Martell Webster (ditto)
Trevor Ariza (ditto, except 21 games with POR and 26 games with PHX) notable since Ariza holds the record for the number of teams he has been traded to.
Bradley Beal (career best efG% year next to John Wall)
etc etc. etc.

At his peak, the John Wall effect was real.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1847 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 7, 2022 4:12 pm

No doubt! a terrific player.

As a rookie, Wall was 11th in the league in assists/40 minutes. (I'm only looking at guys who played significant minutes -- 1500+)
'11-12 -- 9th
'12-13 -- 3d
'13-14 -- 5th
'14-15 -- 2d
'15-16 -- 4th
'16-17 -- 4th
'17-18 -- 3d (he only played 1410 minutes, however)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1848 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 7, 2022 4:26 pm

OTOH, was there ever a season in which John was indisputably one of the top 5 point guards in the league overall?

No, not really. & it wasn't particularly close. Good as he was at his peak, overall John Wall was never on a tier with Chris Paul, Steph Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry, or Mike Conley -- though of course Wizards fans are likely to claim otherwise.

Tremendous player all the same.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1849 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 7, 2022 5:38 pm

payitforward wrote:OTOH, was there ever a season in which John was indisputably one of the top 5 point guards in the league overall?

No, not really. & it wasn't particularly close. Good as he was at his peak, overall John Wall was never on a tier with Chris Paul, Steph Curry, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Kyle Lowry, or Mike Conley -- though of course Wizards fans are likely to claim otherwise.

Given the "indisputably" qualifier, I'd say your statement holds.

I think peak Wall was definitely in the same tier as Conley and Lowry, and arguably a little better, but not indisputably so. He was never better than Curry, Paul, Lillard and Harden, and probably not Westbrook either.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1850 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 7, 2022 6:12 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:OTOH, was there ever a season in which John was indisputably one of the top 5 point guards in the league overall?

Given the "indisputably" qualifier, I'd say your statement holds.

I think peak Wall was definitely in the same tier as Conley and Lowry, and arguably a little better, but not indisputably so. He was never better than Curry, Paul, Lillard and Harden, and probably not Westbrook either.

Wall suffers some by playing in one of the greatest eras of Point Gods in NBA history.

First Ballot HOF locks
Chris Paul,
Steph Curry,
James Harden,
Russell Westbrook,

HOF contenders.
Damian Lillard,
Kyle Lowry,

Peak Wall was better than Mike Conley. Though sure, it could be argued.

I do think Dame and Lowry have a better shot at HOF votes than John Wall. Lowry won a chip and will have all of Canada arguing for him. Dame has too many signature clutch moments on his resume for the HOF crowd to ignore. Whereas Wall held up gang signs when he was injured. And has mopes like Colon Cowterd and Screamin A Smith shouting against him.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#1851 » by CobraCommander » Tue Jun 7, 2022 6:34 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Marcin Gortat (ditto)
Martell Webster (ditto)
Trevor Ariza (ditto, except 21 games with POR and 26 games with PHX) notable since Ariza holds the record for the number of teams he has been traded to.
etc etc. etc.

He hated Wall since the Dougie… wall was a star maker at his peak
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1852 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jun 7, 2022 7:11 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Marcin Gortat (ditto)
Martell Webster (ditto)
etc etc. etc.

I will never forget or forgive what Colin Cowchip said after Sean Taylor was killed.

This notion that Draymond makes players better MIGHT have something to do with Steph Curry moving off the ball and routinely hitting 30-35ft shots. It could have something to do with Klay Thompson feasting on clean looks in cross matches. Yes, Draymond Green is a terrific player but others deserve proper respect as well. Westbrook was league MVP. Wall had one tremendous season prior to injury and many legit all star appearances.

Doclinkin, thanks for pointing out who John carried.

Between Colin and Stephen A.Smith, I don’t know which I find more intolerable.
Bye bye Beal.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#1853 » by CobraCommander » Tue Jun 7, 2022 9:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Marcin Gortat (ditto)
Martell Webster (ditto)
etc etc. etc.

I will never forget or forgive what Colin Cowchip said after Sean Taylor was killed.

This notion that Draymond makes players better MIGHT have something to do with Steph Curry moving off the ball and routinely hitting 30-35ft shots. It could have something to do with Klay Thompson feasting on clean looks in cross matches. Yes, Draymond Green is a terrific player but others deserve proper respect as well. Westbrook was league MVP. Wall had one tremendous season prior to injury and many legit all star appearances.

Doclinkin, thanks for pointing out who John carried.

Both bad but I hate the collaborator more -
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1854 » by doclinkin » Tue Jun 7, 2022 10:10 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I will never forget or forgive what Colin Cowchip said after Sean Taylor was killed.

Cowherd by miles. He has a long history of racist takes. Why he is still kicking at John Wall I don't know, but I recall him ripping on him for having a father in jail and therefore he was never going to be a leader etc. He has doubled down on this for years. I suppose this is what he needs to do to get anyone to notice him, but yeah he is eminently hateable.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1855 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:33 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I will never forget or forgive what Colin Cowchip said after Sean Taylor was killed.

Cowherd by miles. He has a long history of racist takes. Why he is still kicking at John Wall I don't know, but I recall him ripping on him for having a father in jail and therefore he was never going to be a leader etc. He has doubled down on this for years. I suppose this is what he needs to do to get anyone to notice him, but yeah he is eminently hateable.

Agreed. Cowherd is definitely much worse.

I actually like Stephen A. Smith quite a bit. Once you accept that his job is to provoke interest and controversy with his hot takes rather than to be a level-headed analysist, you recognize that he does his job real well. And his takes are rarely absurd or blatantly wrong, they're just excessively strong and decisive rather than nuanced.
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#1856 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jun 8, 2022 3:44 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

I actually like Stephen A. Smith quite a bit. Once you accept that his job is to provoke interest and controversy with his hot takes rather than to be a level-headed analysist, you recognize that he does his job real well. And his takes are rarely absurd or blatantly wrong, they're just excessively strong and decisive rather than nuanced.

What cowherd did to wall Stephen a did to Kwame....I didn’t notice it at the time cause I was honestly team jordan...but when Kwame explained how he was being bullied at work by jordan and then getting bullied in tv by Stephen A- I thought what Stephen did was out of bounds and he should have apologized in hindsight- but he doubled down...not cool
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1857 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jun 8, 2022 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=9CAZSSFZFW3JjZJENzBH_g&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#1858 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jun 8, 2022 10:44 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=9CAZSSFZFW3JjZJENzBH_g&s=19

I’m taking the Polish Hammer over that bama Cowherd
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1859 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:10 am

Gortat -- what a guy!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1860 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:06 am

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Stephen A away from his TV character is a much more interesting listen

Return to Washington Wizards