ImageImageImageImageImage

Who should be the next GM for the Wizards?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Who should be the next GM for the Wizards? 

Post#1 » by WallToWall » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 am

I like what the Celtics are doing. Danny Ainge has a pretty good idea of how to get players, when to tank in style, and how to build back up. We should try to bring him to the Wizards. Hard sell, hard to do, but we shoud try.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: Who should be the next GM for the Wizards? 

Post#2 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:32 am

WallToWall wrote:I like what the Celtics are doing. Danny Ainge has a pretty good idea of how to get players, when to tank in style, and how to build back up. We should try to bring him to the Wizards. Hard sell, hard to do, but we shoud try.

Ainge isn't leaving the Celtics.

Might be able to get one of the guys working for him, though -- Mike Zarren, who's REALLY smart.

My choice might be Ben Falk, who just got a VP gig with the Sixers. He was once a programming partner on my defensive tracking project, so I readily admit to a lot of bias on him. But, he's preposterously smart and did a great job in Portland before moving to Philly.

Wiz could do a lot worse than Dean Oliver. Or Troy Weaver.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#3 » by keynote » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 am

When are GMs fired, traditionally? I figure now is the best time -- and not just because I desperately want the team to move on from EG's tenure. I want to give the new GM a chance to evaluate the current team and keep an eye on the NCAA Tourney for scouting purposes. If we wait until the offseason, the new GM will also miss the opportunity to conduct exit interviews.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#4 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:17 am

CCJ....

With Kevin as his analytics guy.
In Rizzo we trust
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,222

Post#5 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:21 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:CCJ....

I was gonna post the same thing, or at least its time to consider CCJ as an adviser or Consultant
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#6 » by AFM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:32 am

That would be a no brainer

At least let Kevin replace that dumb broad from the post game show on CSN. The one who awkwardly reads tweets. Talk about incompetent.

CCJ could be a scout or a fatherlike figure/mentor for some of the younger players.

Monte could be G-Man, or one of the custodians who clean the food area in the tunnels.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#7 » by WallToWall » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:00 am

keynote wrote:When are GMs fired, traditionally? I figure now is the best time -- and not just because I desperately want the team to move on from EG's tenure. I want to give the new GM a chance to evaluate the current team and keep an eye on the NCAA Tourney for scouting purposes. If we wait until the offseason, the new GM will also miss the opportunity to conduct exit interviews.

I figured as much too. I am a former Ernie supporter, but I think its time to move on. We should be building for a contender in the time frame when our top players peak. I am no GM, but I cant see how we are going to accomplish this. This year is a waste. Next year is more than likely a waste too, because we are waiting for Durant and so will not make any "big" moves to rock that boat. I dont know how many years Wall has to be in peak form, but I would guess 6 years. Given that this is year #1 and next is year #2, that leaves 4 years to make something good happen. I dont like having wasted 2 out of 6 years. A good GM would *know* that top players are peaking and would build around them. Its not like Wall's maturation is a surprise.
Look, we havent had a good chance like this in a long time to win a championship. I hate to see it wasted. We need a GM with a track record of putting together champions, and who isnt afraid to take chances.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#8 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 pm

AFM wrote:

That would be a no brainer

At least let Kevin replace that dumb broad from the post game show on CSN. The one who awkwardly reads tweets. Talk about incompetent.

CCJ could be a scout or a fatherlike figure/mentor for some of the younger players.

Monte could be G-Man, or one of the custodians who clean the food area in the tunnels.

:lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#9 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:56 pm

This situation is so frustrating. Ted is going to be hesitant to fire EG because I'm sure Ted backed EG's general strategy of signing short-term stopgap players and gearing up for KD2DC in 2016. EG is going to blame all of our current problems on this strategy. He'll say, "Yeah, I could have gotten better, younger players with more upside than Humprhies, Blair and Pierce but you wanted me to win now while maintaining flexibility in 2016. This was the best one could possibly do under those circumstances."

EG is the best GM in the league if the grading criteria is a GM's ability to keep his job. EG is the master. He's always got a built-in excuse. It doesn't matter how much the team underachieves. It doesn't matter how many draft picks he squanders. He will never get fired.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#10 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:59 pm

^
Wow, thanks for that post, Nate. Now I just want to go someplace isolated, all alone, and drink.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#11 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Review the draft board/FA discussions over the last 5-6 years and make a timeline. Per my sig, there are guys on this board who could :

*Make solid draft picks (1st & 2nd round)
*Make better FA decisions
*Manage and develop players (D_League and stash players)
*Write better contracts

Since this^ will never happen, I will take just about any FO assistant working in a tier-1 organization. It is imperative that Ted NOT fire Randy & Ernie, only to promote others within the organization. All Grunfeld sycophants ( Unanimously wanting Vesely), must be removed.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#12 » by nuposse04 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:11 pm

nate33 wrote:This situation is so frustrating. Ted is going to be hesitant to fire EG because I'm sure Ted backed EG's general strategy of signing short-term stopgap players and gearing up for KD2DC in 2016. EG is going to blame all of our current problems on this strategy. He'll say, "Yeah, I could have gotten better, younger players with more upside than Humprhies, Blair and Pierce but you wanted me to win now while maintaining flexibility in 2016. This was the best one could possibly do under those circumstances."

EG is the best GM in the league if the grading criteria is a GM's ability to keep his job. EG is the master. He's always got a built-in excuse. It doesn't matter how much the team underachieves. It doesn't matter how many draft picks he squanders. He will never get fired.

So we will never be rid of him? EG has a lot of qualities that resemble herpes. :nonono:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#13 » by closg00 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:14 pm

nate33 wrote:This situation is so frustrating. Ted is going to be hesitant to fire EG because I'm sure Ted backed EG's general strategy of signing short-term stopgap players and gearing up for KD2DC in 2016. EG is going to blame all of our current problems on this strategy. He'll say, "Yeah, I could have gotten better, younger players with more upside than Humprhies, Blair and Pierce but you wanted me to win now while maintaining flexibility in 2016. This was the best one could possibly do under those circumstances."

Yup, this ^ is exactly the secret of Ernie's survival. Ernie always survives to stick around and "try something else"
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#14 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:18 pm

You get Ernie and you will like it!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#15 » by dckingsfan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:34 pm

queridiculo wrote:You get Ernie and you will like it!

:banghead:
AFM
General Manager

Post#16 » by AFM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Nate is right, as usual. Ernie's gift isn't really basketball expertise, per se. He should be a business consultant. He is clearly the GOAT businessman. That or he has naked photos of Ted.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#17 » by Dat2U » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Pres of Basketball Ops: TheSecretWeapon aka Nivek aka Lord of the Board :)
General Manager: Myself
Capologist: Nate33
Director of Pro/International Scouting: CCJ
Director of College Scouting: Doclinkin
Additional Scouts: Ruzious, Severn Hoos, pancakes3, Bruce0, SUPERBALLMAN, payitforward and a few other realgm'ers.
AFM
General Manager

Post#18 » by AFM » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Dat2U wrote:Pres of Basketball Ops: TheSecretWeapon aka Nivek aka Lord of the Board :)
General Manager: Myself
Director of College Scouting: Doclinkin
Additional Scouts: Ruzious, Severn Hoos, pancakes3, Bruce0, SUPERBALLMAN, payitforward and a few other realgm'ers.

WizD has to be co-Director of Scouting
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,222

Post#19 » by MikeTheKid » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Dat2U wrote:Pres of Basketball Ops: TheSecretWeapon aka Nivek aka Lord of the Board :)
General Manager: Dat2U
Director of College Scouting: Doclinkin and WizD
Additional Scouts: Ruzious, Severn Hoos, pancakes3, Bruce0, SUPERBALLMAN, payitforward, Rafael122, verbal8 and a few other realgm'ers.
Director of Sales/Marketing: FAH1223 and AFM
Director of Player Development: closg00, Montestewart and Kanyewest
In-Game MC: Mikethekid (Anyone but Rodney)
Postgame Trash Pickup: Millieie111

FIXED
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#20 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:54 pm

I just did a little research to try and quantify the staggering ineptitude of our front office.

EG has been the GM since the Summer of 2003. We've played almost 12 full seasons with him at the helm. In those 12 seasons, our best record was 45 wins. That is, we never won 46 or more games (or an equivalent winning percentage in a strike shortened year). Here's a list of the number of times other teams have won 46 or more games:

SAN 12
DAL 10
DEN 7
OKC 7
PHO 7
CHI 6
HOU 6
LAL 6
MEM 6
MIA 6
BOS 5
CLE 5
LAC 5
ORL 5
POR 5
ATL 4
GSW 4
IND 4
UTA 4
NOP 3
TOR 3
BRK 2
MIL 2
SAC 2
MIN 1
NY 1
CHA 0
PHI 0
WAS 0

So only Charlotte and Philly have equaled our ineptitude. Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Sacramento, Minnesota and New York haven't been much better. (To be fair, the possibility exists that we will exceed 45 wins this year, but it's looking less and less likely).

The frustrating thing is that we don't seem to care about sucking. Ernie Grunfeld has been GM for 12 freaking years! Only Riley, Kupchak, Buford and Ainge have a longer tenure. At least the other crappy teams are trying to fix their management problem. Ted doesn't seem to care. In the past 12 years, New York and Brooklyn have each had 5 different GM's. Philly has burned through 4 GMs. Charlotte has had 3. Milwaukee has had just 2 GM's but they seem to be on the upswing. Sacramento and Minnesota have had only 2 GM's during the past 12 years, but both teams fire their inept GM's this past summer.

Return to Washington Wizards