ImageImageImageImageImage

Who should be the next GM for the Wizards?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Who should be the next GM for the Wizards? 

Post#621 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:41 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
Ok, this organization is not a clown show. They have had no GM in nearly three months. They whiffed on two current GMs, who got better offers from their own teams. The owner interviewed two candidates twice but then says on a podcast that you wouldn't marry your wife after the first date. And the most credible national beat guy says that they are pursuing him but now our local beat writer says not quite. We'll agree to disagree. :noway:

If you offer someone a position and they turn it down for a better offer, that doesn’t make you a clown. These are things that happen in the professional world every day, it just doesn’t get reported on or discussed on message boards.

And I’d advise you to take everything you read/hear in the media with a grain of salt.

Just last hear Philadelphia didn’t hire a Team President until September. The right thing to do is take your time and do your due diligence before making a hire of this magnitude.

So what you're saying is that this is a well-run organization and Ted is doing the right thing by being patient. Ok. From the same owner that admitted he dropped the ball and took blame for the team's struggles on the Chris Miller podcast and let the GM run amok. And how about that bad culture. Is that all "Fake News"? The franchise is a not a clown show- it's a joke. Hasn't won 50 games since 1979. But sure, this is a message board and we can only comment about what we know, read, watch and listen to.

Just like you, I'm frustrated by the Wizards franchise historically. But as for this specific GM search , yes Ted is doing the right thing by being patient and exhausting all options.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#622 » by keynote » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Shep's camp leaked this rumor. It would be smart to make Ted look like he's chasing yet another piece of unobtanium. When Masai reups with TOR under a new contract extension, Ted/MSE would look foolish yet again. They'd have whiffed on KD, Horford, Connelly, and Ujiri -- basically, every high market value person they've tried to recruit since 2016.

After this miss, Ted may not have the appetite to chase anyone else. Then, he might be prepared to "love the one he's with": Shep.

If Shep engineered this, then perhaps he does have what it takes to be a successful wheeler-dealer.

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager

Post#623 » by keynote » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 am

Ruzious wrote:It's basically like me asking Morgan Fairchild to marry me - and doing it publically while Bea Arthur is waiting for me to respond to her offer. :o

How old are you?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#624 » by montestewart » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:32 pm

keynote wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It's basically like me asking Morgan Fairchild to marry me - and doing it publically while Bea Arthur is waiting for me to respond to her offer. :o

How old are you?

Ruzious so old he thinks the Flintstones is Sci-Fi
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#625 » by ozthegap » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 pm

montestewart wrote:
keynote wrote:

How old are you?

i think you meant the jetsons
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,326

Post#626 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:40 pm

keynote wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Shep's camp leaked this rumor. It would be smart to make Ted look like he's chasing yet another piece of unobtanium. When Masai reups with TOR under a new contract extension, Ted/MSE would look foolish yet again. They'd have whiffed on KD, Horford, Connelly, and Ujiri -- basically, every high market value person they've tried to recruit since 2016.

After this miss, Ted may not have the appetite to chase anyone else. Then, he might be prepared to "love the one he's with": Shep.

If Shep engineered this, then perhaps he does have what it takes to be a successful wheeler-dealer.

If this is true, I'd be very impressed. That's some 4D chess right there.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#627 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:35 pm

Ummm, leaking something to make your boss look bad, with the hope that he'll respond by giving you a promotion...? :)

Somehow I just don't think so.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#628 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 pm

DCZards wrote:
80sballboy wrote:
DCZards wrote:Why wouldn't Masai's wife be thrilled to go back to DC? I've heard that the fact that his wife is from the DC area is among the reasons Masai might seriously considering taking the Zards job and moving to the DC area.

Masai's wife probably still has relatives in the area and the DMV has a large population of people from Africa and the African diaspora. That's typically a drawing card for people of African descent like Masai and his wife.

Maybe she doesn't care because she was born in Sierra Lione.

As someone from the African diaspora myself, I'm pretty sure she cares, especially if it means being closer to friends and loved ones who likely still live in the DC area.

Hey! Depending on how much you trust the science, we're all from the African diaspora!

...of course, we're not all from Sierra Leone, so maybe that makes a difference.

My parents were from Vienna, Austria -- is there a basketball team there? If so, I volunteer to be its GM.

(One day I'll tell the story of my lame-brained attempt to get to be the GM of the Warriors in the mid-70s. It's kinda funny & makes me look like a complete idiot, so I'm sure you'd all like it.)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#629 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 am

When it comes down to it, how many of you all believe Ujiri is even a possibility?
In Rizzo we trust
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#630 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:43 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:When it comes down to it, how many of you all believe Ujiri is even a possibility?

Right now the Raptors are in a honeymoon stage so it seems ridiculous to imagine that Ujiri would go anywhere. But this league changes quickly.

If Kawhi stays then I can't see it, however if KL leaves then yes Ujiri could absolutely could be in play imo. Anyone is a possibility when you are offering that kind of compensation, Pat Riley is the only other Team president with ownership equity.
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#631 » by Gig18 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:When it comes down to it, how many of you all believe Ujiri is even a possibility?

there are times in a person's career when they're hot, all eyes are on them, and you kinda have to grab the brass ring at that point.
Ujiri may be great the rest of his career. But he's never going to be hotter than he is right now.
And if someone is actually going to offer you a stake in ownership? you'd have to be crazy not to at least consider it.
having said all that, i don't know how we could come up with compensation even if the guy wanted to come here.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#632 » by Shoe » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 am

If the Wizards got Masai I could see Beal re-signing even if he's not eligible for the supermax.

keynote wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Shep's camp leaked this rumor. It would be smart to make Ted look like he's chasing yet another piece of unobtanium. When Masai reups with TOR under a new contract extension, Ted/MSE would look foolish yet again. They'd have whiffed on KD, Horford, Connelly, and Ujiri -- basically, every high market value person they've tried to recruit since 2016.

]

If Sheppard was that Machiavellian Ernie would've been fired long ago.
keynote
General Manager

Post#633 » by keynote » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 am

So, we're not going to talk about the rumor that 44 is allegedly trying to recruit Ujiri to come to DC?

(And I don't mean Harvey Grant)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#634 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:11 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:Presumably that would be the point of the price -- as it would dissuade him from taking the job.

But I doubt they'd treat the guy who just won them a title in so insulting a manner. I doubt now's the time he'd make a quick decision to leave, but if he did want to do it, my guess is that they would be sending him off in a positive way.

You mean like the Caps did with their coach right after he won their first Stanley Cup.

I don't follow hockey, but I just looked it up. He went to Lamoriello & asked for a raise. Didn't like what they offered & got himself another job. Is that correct?

I don't see the similarity -- which doesn't mean it isn't there, btw. So, please explain what you mean. Are you saying that Masai asked for a raise late last night & didn't get it? Or are you saying that the Caps tried to prevent Trotz from leaving?

Uh, you left out... the facts. Firstly, Lamoriello was the GM who signed Trots... for the Islanders. He's never worked for the Caps, as far as I know.

Trotz originally signed a 4 year deal with the Caps that included a clause that he would be extended with an increased salary for 2 years if they won a Stanley Cup. When he won the Stanley Cup, he was one of the lowest paid head coaches in the entire NHL. They could not agree on the increase, and it was so obvious that the Caps weren't interested in giving him a fair offer that the CAPS GM said a few days after they won the Cup that they were looking elsewhere. It was then that Trotz resigned. It was common knowledge to everyone that they had signed Todd Reirdon a year or 2 before to be his replacement - and Caps management (other than Trotz) was completely taken by surprse when they won the Stanley Cup.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#635 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#636 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:44 pm

montestewart wrote:
keynote wrote:

How old are you?

Yeah, my son still resents me naming him BamBam. Probably should have gone with Elroy. :dontknow:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#637 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Pretty sure he's a Bulls fan.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#638 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Pretty sure he's a Bulls fan.

He is....but he and Masai are boys so....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#639 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:24 pm

If Obama is the reason Masai comes to DC, Ted needs to give him an ownership stake too.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#640 » by payitforward » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:56 pm

FAH1223 wrote:If Obama is the reason Masai comes to DC, Ted needs to give him an ownership stake too.

Now wait just a minute.... I voted for Barack twice, so I'm part of the reason he came to DC, & Barack's coming to DC is part of the reason that he could be the reason Masai comes to DC. So I need to get an ownership stake too!

Return to Washington Wizards