Otto Porter Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#1741 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:03 pm

europeanfan wrote:Bottom line I don't think there's goodwill and trust anymore between the player and the team.

So walk away instead of saying yes to an unhappy marriage just because it beats being alone. Trade veto? You can't even divorce if it doesn't work out that's too much...

I like Otto, he may even become an All Star in the East (which is why he was never going West in a million years). But I don't feel good about that contract.

What's the point of Oubre if he doesn't allow you to walk away in this situation?

If they match Otto then Kelly is getting traded with Gortat/Morris/Mahinmi you can believe that, they ain't paying both of them.

Otto got his max, point blank. It was going to come from us or someone else but he got his money. The terms are different because I assume the Wiz wanted to do 5 years on a friendlier deal, either back loading the money or not offering the full max. Falk wanted the full max, dude is a shark, he will get his way one way or the other. My only concern is if Otto's trajectory still points up, this might be a Gordon Hayward situation down the line, i.e. Jazz had the opportunity to offer him the max in 2014 but didn't.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1742 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:05 pm

nate33 wrote:The player option isn't a problem. The cap will remain flat or decline over the next few years, yet teams will have less and less cap room as more old (cheap) contracts are renewed at current, more expensive prices. By 2020, there will probably be just 2 or 3 teams with max cap room in the offseason. And they won't have maneuvered themselves into max cap space just to throw a 30% max contract at Otto Porter.

Frankly, this deal is probably more favorable to Washington than whatever 5-year deal Falk was insisting on. Porter will probably end up taking a pay cut in 2021.

So the ability to veto a trade for 1 year...is that for the season or as of the date he signs the contract? Reason I ask is this: Porter is prime trade bait for say...Cousins. If we're assuming Cousins is asking for the 30% max, then Porter's salary plus the trade kicker basically means we can do a Porter for Cousins swap without adding extra players or picks to the deal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1743 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:10 pm

There are too many variables in play to compare this to Hayward:

1. He'd need to be worth the max again
2. He'd need to find a situation better than Washington that somehow has max money available.

The most likely scenario for this being an issue is Otto being worthy of the max and even earning another one but John being gone and the team looking stagnant. In that case he may decline a two man mini rebuild starring him and Brad, but I personally have no interest in that, if John goes I'm ready to blow it up and go for the full rebuild.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1744 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:14 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The player option isn't a problem. The cap will remain flat or decline over the next few years, yet teams will have less and less cap room as more old (cheap) contracts are renewed at current, more expensive prices. By 2020, there will probably be just 2 or 3 teams with max cap room in the offseason. And they won't have maneuvered themselves into max cap space just to throw a 30% max contract at Otto Porter.

Frankly, this deal is probably more favorable to Washington than whatever 5-year deal Falk was insisting on. Porter will probably end up taking a pay cut in 2021.

So the ability to veto a trade for 1 year...is that for the season or as of the date he signs the contract? Reason I ask is this: Porter is prime trade bait for say...Cousins. If we're assuming Cousins is asking for the 30% max, then Porter's salary plus the trade kicker basically means we can do a Porter for Cousins swap without adding extra players or picks to the deal.

We can't trade Otto for a year without him agreeing to it. I don't think its an issue. Specifically regarding Cousins:

1. Pelicans would never agree to nearly any trade with us for Cousins sans including Wall. So the only way they deal with us is if Cousins pulls a George and targets DC. In that scenario they don't even get Cousins--they get picks + Gortat/Mahinmi + Oubre (preferably not even Oubre).

2. If Otto had to be included hypothetically, I don't think he'd decline. Playing with a locked up Anthony Davis is far from the worst of spots to land.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1745 » by stevemcqueen1 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:20 pm

Can someone explain for me how a 15% trade kicker works in Otto's case as he's a max contract?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1746 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:24 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

We can't trade Otto for a year without him agreeing to it. I don't think its an issue. Specifically regarding Cousins:

1. Pelicans would never agree to nearly any trade with us for Cousins sans including Wall. So the only way they deal with us is if Cousins pulls a George and targets DC. In that scenario they don't even get Cousins--they get picks + Gortat/Mahinmi + Oubre (preferably not even Oubre).

2. If Otto had to be included hypothetically, I don't think he'd decline. Playing with a locked up Anthony Davis is far from the worst of spots to land.

I think you're over estimating what teams could get in a trade. Kings got a lotto pick and Buddy Hield basically for a franchise player. If anything, giving up a 24 year old wing player might be too much, but I'm working under the assumption that Mahinmi and Gortat are still on the team. They could always trade Gortat.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1747 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:26 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Can someone explain for me how a 15% trade kicker works in Otto's case as he's a max contract?

Just read an article on SI, so b/c Otto doesn't have enough years of service the only way the kicker comes in would be if he's traded in Year 4, assuming Porter opts into his contract anyway. So short answer: it's a non factor.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1748 » by stevemcqueen1 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:Can someone explain for me how a 15% trade kicker works in Otto's case as he's a max contract?

Just read an article on SI, so b/c Otto doesn't have enough years of service the only way the kicker comes in would be if he's traded in Year 4, assuming Porter opts into his contract anyway. So short answer: it's a non factor.

Weird. I will never truly understand the NBA's CBA.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1749 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:41 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

Date of signing the contract. So July 2018
Spin Cycle
Junior
And1: 208

Post#1750 » by Spin Cycle » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:08 pm

Uh oh. At this rate you guys might not even beat the raptors...
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1751 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:29 pm

Spin Cycle wrote:Uh oh. At this rate you guys might not even beat the raptors...

Because?
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1752 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:34 pm

Spin Cycle wrote:Uh oh. At this rate you guys might not even beat the raptors...

WTF are you talking about?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1753 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 7, 2017 2:40 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
europeanfan wrote:Bottom line I don't think there's goodwill and trust anymore between the player and the team.

So walk away instead of saying yes to an unhappy marriage just because it beats being alone. Trade veto? You can't even divorce if it doesn't work out that's too much...

I like Otto, he may even become an All Star in the East (which is why he was never going West in a million years). But I don't feel good about that contract.

What's the point of Oubre if he doesn't allow you to walk away in this situation?

If they match Otto then Kelly is getting traded with Gortat/Morris/Mahinmi you can believe that, they ain't paying both of them.

Otto got his max, point blank. It was going to come from us or someone else but he got his money. The terms are different because I assume the Wiz wanted to do 5 years on a friendlier deal, either back loading the money or not offering the full max. Falk wanted the full max, dude is a shark, he will get his way one way or the other. My only concern is if Otto's trajectory still points up, this might be a Gordon Hayward situation down the line, i.e. Jazz had the opportunity to offer him the max in 2014 but didn't.

Raf, the big difference is the cap went of 60% since then (63M to 99M)... Over the next 3 years the cap 'might' go up 10%
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#1754 » by JKiddy » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:46 pm

I feel for you guys. I am a Nets fan who would like to have Otto on our team but at a much lesser cost.

It seems like the Nets just screwed you into signing him to a max with a bunch of steep penalties. I have family and even lived in DC for quite some time so I feel for you more than most. Otto is a very good player and will get better. But, now you can't build anything around Wall, Beal, and Porter.

Honestly, if I was your GM I would have unbiasedly not matched and waited until 11:58pm tonight to inform all parties. Then I would have signed two or three other players with that money (after getting input from Wall so the Wiz do not lose him).

You could probably grab KCP, a better Euro shooter, and Plumlee. Then I would find a way to get rid of some of the deadweight in the front court and make moves to free up more space for next offseason.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1755 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:56 pm

JKiddy wrote:I feel for you guys. I am a Nets fan who would like to have Otto on our team but at a much lesser cost.

It seems like the Nets just screwed you into signing him to a max with a bunch of steep penalties. I have family and even lived in DC for quite some time so I feel for you more than most. Otto is a very good player and will get better. But, now you can't build anything around Wall, Beal, and Porter.

Honestly, if I was your GM I would have unbiasedly not matched and waited until 11:58pm tonight to inform all parties. Then I would have signed two or three other players with that money (after getting input from Wall so the Wiz do not lose him).

You could probably grab KCP, a better Euro shooter, and Plumlee. Then I would find a way to get rid of some of the deadweight in the front court and make moves to free up more space for next offseason.

The problem is this team has no cap space with or without Otto. They already blew part of the MLE on Meeks. They have the Bi-Annual Exception and minimum contracts. That's it.

Otto making the max isn't even the problem. It's Mahinmi's contract.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1756 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jul 8, 2017 8:50 pm

Uh oh, at this rate people are going to know you don't have a clue :)
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1757 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1758 » by Shanghai Kid » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:37 pm

I'm just hoping that with the big contract Otto puts on an onus on himself to be more aggressive on offense. It's hard to justify 13ppg unless you an elite perimeter defender.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#1759 » by CobraCommander » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:48 pm

At this rate you might win 1 game against Cleveland in the playoffs next year if Avery Bradley hits another game winner...wait...never mind.

Oh and get your shamrock lovin @$$ outta here...
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#1760 » by CobraCommander » Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:50 pm

When will the deal be done and we know the fate?

Return to Washington Wizards