RealGM
And1: 3,925

Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#1781 » by tontoz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:08 pm

We all knew how this offseason would play out:

-resign Otto
-let Bojan walk
-find new bench scrubs to replace last year's bench scrubs

Now we just have to pray the starters stay healthy next season. Rinse and repeat.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#1782 » by leswizards » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:48 pm

NatP4 wrote:
ozthegap wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Yes...now we have improved by making Otto one of our core big 3...now we just need to sign Wall and hope JW, Beal and Otto become the best 1,2 and 3 in history for us to have a chance to win a ring during the life of Ottos contract. I mean otherwise what's the point right?

I'm happy we have him but what does this mean for the teams championship aspirations?

This team doesn't have championship aspirations

Yeah it's not like they were one game away from the ECF with a core of 26, 23,23, 21 year olds. Not like they had a plan to sign KD, or Horford, or trade for Paul George. Not like they are now paying the luxury tax or anything.

Yep, just aiming for 2nd round exits.

I don't know what to make of your post. I presume that you are being sarcastic, but my confusion stems from the fact that they failed to sign KD; they failed to sign Horford; and they failed to trade for Paul George. While it appears that they may pay the luxury tax, I think it is too early to assume that, because they may drop some salary.

It is also true that they were 1 game away from the ECF, but so what. How would they have fared against the Cavs? And had they somehow upset the Cavs, how would they have fared against the Warriors?

So, in summary, (assuming you are being sarcastic), you seem to want us to be happy about their failures (KD, Horford and George); happy about paying the luxury tax (when we don't know that they will); and happy that this team is largely unchanged from the team that failed to get out of the second round (again), and probably would have had no chance had they somehow managed to get to the ECF.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#1783 » by ozthegap » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:02 pm

NatP4 wrote:
ozthegap wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:
Yes...now we have improved by making Otto one of our core big 3...now we just need to sign Wall and hope JW, Beal and Otto become the best 1,2 and 3 in history for us to have a chance to win a ring during the life of Ottos contract. I mean otherwise what's the point right?

I'm happy we have him but what does this mean for the teams championship aspirations?

Yeah it's not like they were one game away from the ECF with a core of 26, 23,23, 21 year olds. Not like they had a plan to sign KD, or Horford, or trade for Paul George. Not like they are now paying the luxury tax or anything.

Even if they got to the ECF that doesn't mean they were contending for the championship. They weren't built to beat the true contenders. There "plan" to sign KD was just hoping he would out of nostalgia. E.g. Shat away most of our assets to the point where trading for Horford or PG were also long shots.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#1784 » by tontoz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Our big 3 is good enough to cause problems for the Cavs/Celtics going forward but the supporting cast will need to improve considerably to be a real threat to win a series against them.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1785 » by Dat2U » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm

leswizards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
ozthegap wrote:

I don't know what to make of your post. I presume that you are being sarcastic, but my confusion stems from the fact that they failed to sign KD; they failed to sign Horford; and they failed to trade for Paul George. While it appears that they may pay the luxury tax, I think it is too early to assume that, because they may drop some salary.

It is also true that they were 1 game away from the ECF, but so what. How would they have fared against the Cavs? And had they somehow upset the Cavs, how would they have fared against the Warriors?

So, in summary, (assuming you are being sarcastic), you seem to want us to be happy about their failures (KD, Horford and George); happy about paying the luxury tax (when we don't know that they will); and happy that this team is largely unchanged from the team that failed to get out of the second round (again), and probably would have had no chance had they somehow managed to get to the ECF.

Don't forget, It's all Brooks' fault and Wall is a lazy bum. Oh and we'll be fine if we played Sato, Mac & McCullough more.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#1786 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Power Forward Otto
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1787 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Otto could do a few more squats. Guessing he's still not much more than 205 pounds that he's listed at. Love to see him get to 215-220 to play more 4.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1788 » by keynote » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:56 pm

NatP4 wrote:

Power Forward Otto

Good to see him working out -- although I was hoping that he'd pick up that trap bar and bang out some deadlift reps. What's that on the bar -- 315 lbs or so (depending on the weight of the bar)? That should be within his workout weight.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1789 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

were you guys able to scroll to the right on those?
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1790 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:59 pm

If we started the season with a starting 5 of Wall-Beal-Oubre-Porter-Gortat I wouldn't be able to control my excitement. I haven't been that excited about a season since we drafted Beal and started with Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Okafor.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1791 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:15 pm

NatP4 wrote:If we started the season with a starting 5 of Wall-Beal-Oubre-Porter-Gortat I wouldn't be able to control my excitement. I haven't been that excited about a season since we drafted Beal and started with Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Okafor.

Nope. I like Oubre, probably more than most, but he hasnt earned the right to start over Morris at this point. I think that lineup is a great tool to use, but it depends on the matchup at the PF spot and if Oubre is playing well
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1792 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:18 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
NatP4 wrote:If we started the season with a starting 5 of Wall-Beal-Oubre-Porter-Gortat I wouldn't be able to control my excitement. I haven't been that excited about a season since we drafted Beal and started with Wall-Beal-Ariza-Nene-Okafor.

Nope. I like Oubre, probably more than most, but he hasnt earned the right to start over Morris at this point. I think that lineup is a great tool to use, but it depends on the matchup at the PF spot and if Oubre is playing well

Not pretending to know the answer to this, but did Draymond prove himself over all star David Lee? We wanna get our core guys out there as much as possible. Keef can still play a big Patrick Patterson type of rotational player role. He's a good player.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#1793 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm

NatP4 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Not pretending to know the answer to this, but did Draymond prove himself over all star David Lee? We wanna get our core guys out there as much as possible. Keef can still play a big Patrick Patterson type of rotational player role. He's a good player.

In the 2014-15 season. Of course,it took a David Lee injury to start the season to put Draymond in the starting lineup and Green had started a few postseason games IIRC after Jermaine O'Neal and Andrew Bogut left the series with injuries.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#1794 » by ozthegap » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm

keynote wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Power Forward Otto

Good to see him working out -- although I was hoping that he'd pick up that trap bar and bang out some deadlift reps. What's that on the bar -- 315 lbs or so (depending on the weight of the bar)? That should be within his workout weight.

Damn those legs are thin. Even I have more meat on my legs than that and I only weigh 120 lbs.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,901

Post#1795 » by CobraCommander » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:47 am

Kanyewest wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

In the 2014-15 season. Of course,it took a David Lee injury to start the season to put Draymond in the starting lineup and Green had started a few postseason games IIRC after Jermaine O'Neal and Andrew Bogut left the series with injuries.

Never thought I would ever agree with NatP4...but if we are resigned to not win a ring right now, why not get KO playing time with the starters right now? Seriously, what does it hurt? I mean seriously, Morris and Gortat (and other people) should be on the block and we should be trying to get younger studs to give JW, BB and OP a reason to believe the future is going to be brighter when Lebron leaves Cleveland next year.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1796 » by pcbothwel » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:44 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Never thought I would ever agree with NatP4...but if we are resigned to not win a ring right now, why not get KO playing time with the starters right now? Seriously, what does it hurt? I mean seriously, Morris and Gortat (and other people) should be on the block and we should be trying to get younger studs to give JW, BB and OP a reason to believe the future is going to be brighter when Lebron leaves Cleveland next year.

At the deadline, I would love to turn Gortat, Morris, Smith, filler into Deng and Cousins.
Essentially, we take on Deng and get assets (2020 1st/Nance/Hart)... We then use those assets to get Boogie.

I.E.
Wiz in: Cousins, Deng, Nance
Wiz out: Gortat, Morris, Smith, Frazier & Filler (CMC, Ochefu , etc.)

LAL in: Morris, Smith, Ajinca, Frazier, CMC
LAL out: Deng, Randle, Clarkson, Nance

NOP in: Gortat, Clarckson, Randle
NOP out: Cousins, Ajinca

*** Sweetener for NOP could easily be added by us giving away future pick, routing Hart to NOP, or sending them Sheldon Mac.

I think this has some legs.
LAL gets out of Deng's contract by giving up Randle who is about to be a FA. They get Morris at a cheap 8M and save 19M next year minimum. This summer I see them having no problem dumping Ajinca and his 1/5M contract.
They would have the following team with 2 Max roster spots...

Ball
Hart
Ingram
Morris
Zubac

NOP might be a bottom 10-12 at the deadline in the smallest market in the NBA. Im not sure what teams give anything of value for Boogie at that point. Gortat, Clarkson, and Randle are nice pieces and they dump Ajinca

Rondo / Clarkson
Jrue / Moore
Hill
Randle
AD / Gortat

We go all in with this squad and hope Deng has a nice resurgence as a backup 3/4.
Wall / Sato
Beal / Meeks / Mac
Otto / Oubre
Nance / Deng
Cousins / Mahinmi
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1797 » by DCZards » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:11 am

IIRC, Wall, Beal, Gortat, Morris and Porter was one of the best starting 5s in the NBA last season.

I'm hoping/expecting Oubre to step it up next season and, like you, I'm ready to see more lineups with Porter at PF and Oubre at SF. But at the outset of the season I think you go with the starting 5 that you ended last season with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1798 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:26 am

DCZards wrote:

IIRC, Wall, Beal, Gortat, Morris and Porter was one of the best starting 5s in the NBA last season.

I'm hoping/expecting Oubre to step it up next season and, like you, I'm ready to see more lineups with Porter at PF and Oubre at SF. But at the outset of the season I think you go with the starting 5 that you ended last season with. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

just wanna point this out, not gonna post the lineup data again for the 100000th time, but insert Oubre for Morris in that lineup and it was our best lineup and even better than the starting 5. Turned our entire season around with that small ball lineup, it fits the blueprint of the new NBA perfectly.

side note: insert Jason Smith for morris and it was one of the worst lineups in the NBA. Now remember the 2nd half of the season when things went terribly wrong, we scrapped small ball and Jason Smith was our 6th man PF.

numerous reasons why Oubre should start over Morris outside of just Oubres development. some things like Otto being way better at the 4 than the 3, better spacing for the pick and roll WHICH IS OUR STRENGTH NOT ISO BALL, no more Morris ISOs with the 1st unit, much better suited to switch everything, much better length and rebounding ability, much better floor spacing (please dont argue that morris offers true spacing because he shoots a higher % than Oubre) so many positives to the lineup yet we scrapped it.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,996

Post#1799 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Me thinks you are both right. The starting lineup isn't going to change. Small ball needs to be a staple where Oubre/Porter/Morris are the only forwards that play. Gortat/Mahimni/Smith (or $34M) can battle for the 48 minutes at C.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1800 » by TGW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

tontoz wrote:We all knew how this offseason would play out:

-resign Otto
-let Bojan walk
-find new bench scrubs to replace last year's bench scrubs

Now we just have to pray the starters stay healthy next season. Rinse and repeat.

I'm wondering if this was part of the "PLAN" they had going into the offseason.

I think this will be the "PLAN" every year until Wall gets hurt and they suck again.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards