Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#1021 » by doclinkin » Tue Feb 8, 2022 4:29 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:One question I will ask God in the next life is why did I obsess over this basketball team when it was so much more I could be doing with my life...

HA! :clown:
It wasn't the traumatic brain injury which oh by the way did I ever tell you that they discovered that's what I had?

I got a bunch of treatments at brain health Hawaii because they said I have had a bunch of concussions. On one particular side of my brain and I think I know how it happened and it really wasn't from contact Sports I don't think or anything else like hit upside the head

The treatment known as TMS or repetitive TMS actually works really well

Man. I've had 6 concussions and never from the actual dangerous things I did like combat sports or freeclimbing cliffs or rock fights or BMX racing or skateboarding. Graffiti tagging. Fighting with wooden weapons in the back yard. Driving tipsy. None of that. It was always from like a tetherball mis-use, or mime class pretending to walk into an invisible wall and falling over, or a missed flip turn in the shallow end of the pool. Only one car accident where I was buckled in but the kid in the far back of the VW microbus wasn't and he flew through the air and shoved me through a windshield.

Who gets a concussion from an invisible wall?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1022 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 8, 2022 4:59 pm

doclinkin wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

It wasn't the traumatic brain injury which oh by the way did I ever tell you that they discovered that's what I had?

I got a bunch of treatments at brain health Hawaii because they said I have had a bunch of concussions. On one particular side of my brain and I think I know how it happened and it really wasn't from contact Sports I don't think or anything else like hit upside the head

Man. I've had 6 concussions and never from the actual dangerous things I did like combat sports or freeclimbing cliffs or rock fights or BMX racing or skateboarding. Graffiti tagging. Fighting with wooden weapons in the back yard. Driving tipsy. None of that. It was always from like a tetherball mis-use, or mime class pretending to walk into an invisible wall and falling over, or a missed flip turn in the shallow end of the pool. Only one car accident where I was buckled in but the kid in the far back of the VW microbus wasn't and he flew through the air and shoved me through a windshield.

A really good mime
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1023 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 8, 2022 5:15 pm

I just got an email this morning that made my day, an unsolicited request for me to
play music during the opening portion of a wedding reception. It came totally out
of the blue. Feels good but I should be cautious not let me ego run wild.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1024 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 8, 2022 11:17 pm

montestewart wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It wasn't the traumatic brain injury which oh by the way did I ever tell you that they discovered that's what I had?

A really good mime

HOW In

da fug

DOES A SWO....STAFF WEATHER OFFICER...

END UP W TBI?????

Traumatic brain injury MIGHT BE from some **** the VA did to me...way back in the day... psyche fried my mother board w psychotropic meds.

METHINKS me INVISIBLE WALL was that

or maybe the baseball bat to the dome of the cinder block demonstration you would HAVE TO ASK MY YOUNGEST who is now a US Marine IF he remembers the dumbass thing Pops showed him

I NEVER EVER EVER should have seen the Christian evangelists POWER TEAM dudes way back in the day

THINK big dudes ripping yellow pages in half.... bending steel rebarb... all manner of freak show strenght

ALSO, when I was about 12 I met Mr Olympia Franco Columbu... along with others on Andrews AFB. He spoke of his 500 pound bench and was super nice and signed autographs.

MAYBE i got in something I don't recall but that TBI is a mystery to me...

THEY SAID mignt not be bipolar at all ...
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1025 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 8, 2022 11:17 pm

Maybe my ex wife put some curse on my azzzzz
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1026 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 8, 2022 11:21 pm

doclinkin wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

YEP. you're like the dudes I know who went in raw all through the 70s, 80s, 90s..
REDACTED on Super Sunday

the mofos disease free and no baby momma drama was the punchline
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1027 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:52 pm

montestewart wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It wasn't the traumatic brain injury which oh by the way did I ever tell you that they discovered that's what I had?

A really good mime

Mime w the Tyson uppercut gave you at least 2 of the 6, doc.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1028 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:17 pm

Anyone ever have a brutal series of e-mails with a co-worker at yours same level over something that should never have even been an issue? You were clearly in the right, but this person (call her Karen) still goes hard at you - e-mail after e-mail - each including a cc to the head of your department? You responded accurately and forcefully with as little vitriol as possible. If yes, how did you handle it?

This happened to me Wednesday. Since then... nothing, and the boss hasn't said a word to me about it. But another co-worker told me a conversation she had with her yesterday - saying Karen was crying over how mean I was to her in those e-mails. Wow, that was the opposite of what actually happened. Anyway, I got to thinking tones are often misconstrued in e-mails. And I certainly don't want to be the cause of a co-worker crying, so I started writing an apology e-mail. Before clicking send, I thought hell no! First, it's insincere. Second, it's going to enable her to continue that type of behavior not just to me but to co-workers I care about. Third, she'd probably use this against me. Fourth, what the bleep? If I hit send, I'm a pussy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1029 » by dobrojim » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:43 pm

No question that emails can often convey messages etc that are completely
at odds with what was intended.

bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#1030 » by bsilver » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:Anyone ever have a brutal series of e-mails with a co-worker at yours same level over something that should never have even been an issue? You were clearly in the right, but this person (call her Karen) still goes hard at you - e-mail after e-mail - each including a cc to the head of your department? You responded accurately and forcefully with as little vitriol as possible. If yes, how did you handle it?

This happened to me Wednesday. Since then... nothing, and the boss hasn't said a word to me about it. But another co-worker told me a conversation she had with her yesterday - saying Karen was crying over how mean I was to her in those e-mails. Wow, that was the opposite of what actually happened. Anyway, I got to thinking tones are often misconstrued in e-mails. And I certainly don't want to be the cause of a co-worker crying, so I started writing an apology e-mail. Before clicking send, I thought hell no! First, it's insincere. Second, it's going to enable her to continue that type of behavior not just to me but to co-workers I care about. Third, she'd probably use this against me. Fourth, what the bleep? If I hit send, I'm a pussy.

Usually best to smooth things over. Especially since the boss doesn’t want to deal with it. Probably just wants peace.

Probably better to meet in person since people are reluctant to be nasty like in emails. Don’t be accusatory. Just say you’d like to improve future communications.

In the past I’ve found a meeting without anyone else around to be best. If you need a third person, then probably situation may be too hard to fix.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1031 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:32 pm

This is the second time in 2 years that Juwan Howard lost his tember and nearly caused a riot. Probably not what you want as a teacher and a coach. And he hasn't proven to be the coach that some expected him to be.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#1032 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:49 pm

So... made an offer on a house just outside German Village in Columbus, they hemmed and hawed a little and finally accepted it late last night. I'm exhausted - the German Village/Victorian Village/Italian Village real estate market is no fricking joke, made extremely aggressive bids on two houses and got outbid each time, nevermind the houses I never got a chance to bid on because someone made a curb offer - WITH CASH. This house is missing a room but is substantially cheaper, looking forward to living in a walkable neighborhood and getting some steps in.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1033 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:27 pm

Congrats, Zonk. i dabble in real estate investment and on a lark, was looking at properties in secondary markets. Columbus was surprisingly pricey. Even Cleveland was more competitive than expected.
Bullets -> Wizards
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1034 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:22 am

pancakes3 wrote:Congrats, Zonk. i dabble in real estate investment and on a lark, was looking at properties in secondary markets. Columbus was surprisingly pricey. Even Cleveland was more competitive than expected.

I, like many, many other highly educated workers, proved during COVID that I can be trusted to work remotely. I have also been forced to live in an absurdly overpriced real estate market for the last 20 years. I, like many, many others like me, would rather live in my home state, closer to my childhood friends and family, but I'm also spoiled by city life and want to live in a fun, urban, walkable neighborhood. I am taking the considerable principle I've accumulated over the last 20 years and plowing it into one of two walkable neighborhoods just outside downtown Columbus, and apparently a crap ton other people like me are doing the same, given how insanely hot this market is. Prices have doubled since 2018.

This has obviously been a long time coming and there is a ton of pent up demand. Finally remote work is allowing market actors like me to take advantage of real estate arbitrage opportunities that have been out there for decades.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1035 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:44 pm

https://poeltl.dunk.town/ - better than Wordle!

Poeltl #1 - 5/8 (silhouette on 1)
Bullets -> Wizards
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1036 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:19 pm

pancakes3 wrote:https://poeltl.dunk.town/ - better than Wordle!

Poeltl #1 - 5/8 (silhouette on 1)

I like it. First one - I got Vucevic in 4 guesses.
pancakes3
General Manager

Post#1037 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:53 pm

I think it's the same mystery player for everyone so I wouldn't announce the person until everyone's had a chance to get it.

I got it in 5. Does realgm allow for spoiler tags?

Spoiler:
guessed:

Ingles, Duncan Robinson, Hayward, Capela, Vucevic. Silhouette made it likely that it was a white guy. i'm not going to use the silhouette going forward.
Bullets -> Wizards
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1038 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 1, 2022 4:47 pm

Yesterday I got the unwelcome news that I need hip AND knee replacement.

Looking into hip re-surfacing as an alternative to total hip replacement.

Have fun while you're young.

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1039 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 1, 2022 5:05 pm

nooooo you must become a cyborg
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1040 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 1, 2022 5:16 pm

bionic techno wonder is what I'm shooting for.

8 years ago I had a high tibial osteotomy (surgically broken leg) and was
able to resume marathon and ultra marathon running until recently.
It seemed unlikely at the time that I would ever be able to do that again.

Return to Washington Wizards