ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#21 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue May 12, 2015 11:04 pm

fishercob wrote:Boo yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/11/br ... 0d323df309

The Incredibles is among my all-time favorite movies.
Bye bye Beal.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#22 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 am

What an absolutely wonderful picture of my Georgetown. :D

All these new overpriced yup bars and yup restaurants are sh*t.
They will never be in the same league as the 2 places pictured above.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#23 » by fishercob » Wed May 13, 2015 10:14 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Same, CCJ! It's visually cool and the story is fun -- but the relationships between the husband and wife and the parents and kids is what makes that movie so great.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#24 » by Higga » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

With the Wiz and Caps both playing pivotal games tonight, tomorrow is either gonna be a really good day or really depressing....
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Wed May 13, 2015 9:02 pm

People are dead but yet there are still holier than thou yups complaining on social media about being stranded in DC unable to travel to New York City.

God forbid if they have to board a Greyhound bus and travel with lesser common folks.

If they are as important as they think they are well then why not just charter a private plane or helicopter to get them to their destination?
RealGM

Re: Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 pm

fishercob wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Same, CCJ! It's visually cool and the story is fun -- but the relationships between the husband and wife and the parents and kids is what makes that movie so great.

Exactly.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu May 14, 2015 2:47 am

Higga wrote:With the Wiz and Caps both playing pivotal games tonight, tomorrow is either gonna be a really good day or really depressing....

Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu May 14, 2015 3:24 am

Nice hair. :D
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#29 » by Higga » Thu May 14, 2015 3:00 pm

While it is depressing, I don't really get too down after sports anymore. I've gotten older, wiser, all that jazz. Plus with all the crap happening to Nepal, it's a lot easier to have perspective.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Thu May 14, 2015 7:47 pm

Higga wrote:While it is depressing, I don't really get too down after sports anymore. I've gotten older, wiser, all that jazz. Plus with all the crap happening to Nepal, it's a lot easier to have perspective.

After only 4 championships in the last 40 years (MLS & College sports DO NOT COUNT!!!!!) I have gotten quite accustomed to losing so its nothing to me. Another day at the office. No big deal.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#31 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 am

While the loss to ATL kinda stings, one thing i'm happy with is that the Wizards' playoff run brought out some long-lost board members and a number of new guys.

Welcome back and welcome. I hope you all stick around. Your perspectives and opinions are welcomed and valued here.

Go Wizards!
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 am

While the loss to ATL kinda stings, one thing i'm happy with is that the Wizards' playoff run brought out some long-lost board members and a number of new guys.

Welcome back and welcome. I hope you all stick around. Your perspectives and opinions are welcomed and valued here.

Go Wizards!

--Confucius

- Yoda
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 am

Go Wizards!

--Confucius

- Yoda
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#34 » by LyricalRico » Tue May 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Anybody like Jersey Mike's subs? Here's a coupon good through May 31:

http://www.jerseymikes.com/regional/?coop=59&utm_source=Radio&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Veggies

Enjoy! :burger:
RealGM

Post#35 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 24, 2015 5:29 am

Woohoo! Daniel Cormier is the champ.

Jon Jones driving drunk and getting high needs to get his life straight. I'm happy that a guy Jones disrespected is now champ.

Hopefully, Cormier will hold the title with dignity.
GutsyBug
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#36 » by GutsyBug » Sun May 24, 2015 10:05 am

I'm not really sure where to post this? I guess it's an introduction of sorts. I wanted to put it in the 'What do the Wiz mean to you? Why are you here?' thread but seeing as it hasn't been posted in since 2009, I thought maybe that's not a great idea.

I started following the Wizards in early 2012, which was my first year of high school (I think you guys call it middle school?). Coming up from Grade 6 in a small country town I was thrust into a whole new world, and with that, came everyone's obsession with basketball and sports in general.

Every Recess and Lunch we would all go out and shoot hoops, and pretend we weren't a bunch of twelve year old Australians on a run down court, pretend that we were all the 7 foot tall Andrew Bogut throwing down dunks. Everyone at that time went for the Heat, and I fell victim to the Lebron attraction that we all did. We would huddle around a small netbook from 2007 and watch an illegal stream of whatever match we could, and even though it was pixelated and jumpy we still felt a part of the action.

Coming up to the end of that season I decided I would actually choose a team to follow, and not just do what everyone else was. It may seem odd, but the first time I heard the Wizards name I was like 'That's the team for me'. I don't know what brought it on, but I do know that after that moment my life has been fixated on a sport played half the world away.

Over the offseason I tried to catch up on as much Wizards history that I could. The journey through being the Bullets, the Unseld era, looking into greats like Elvin Hayes, going through the shorter than hoped Arenas era, and right through into the current Wall, Beal and Porter love.

I absolutely love the Wizards. I watch every game I can, whether it's through pay-per-view or the crappy streams I mentioned earlier. Even when we lose I'm happy that I've witnessed the Wizards play yet again, and boy is it a good feeling.

After the recent playoff loss I'm not too happy, seeing as I screamed the house down when Pierce made the 3, that was later disallowed :(

But I'm in this for the long run. To be honest I just came here to say, you guys have picked up a lifelong Wizards fan. And at just 15, I've got a few more years in me yet. Hell, I've even started to support the Redskins, seeing as my friend runs a popular blog about them and they are in Washington.

You'll probably see me posting in as many threads as I can, and apologies in advance if I ask questions that may seem obvious to you vets, but 2k can only do so much in the way of teaching me the rules of the game and trading.

And I guess that's it. If you have any questions (I can't see why you would, I'm only a fan from Australia :P) I'm here.

Thanks for reading guys :)
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#37 » by miller31time » Sun May 24, 2015 3:26 pm

GutsyBug wrote:I'm not really sure where to post this? I guess it's an introduction of sorts. I wanted to put it in the 'What do the Wiz mean to you? Why are you here?' thread but seeing as it hasn't been posted in since 2009, I thought maybe that's not a great idea.

I started following the Wizards in early 2012, which was my first year of high school (I think you guys call it middle school?). Coming up from Grade 6 in a small country town I was thrust into a whole new world, and with that, came everyone's obsession with basketball and sports in general.

Every Recess and Lunch we would all go out and shoot hoops, and pretend we weren't a bunch of twelve year old Australians on a run down court, pretend that we were all the 7 foot tall Andrew Bogut throwing down dunks. Everyone at that time went for the Heat, and I fell victim to the Lebron attraction that we all did. We would huddle around a small netbook from 2007 and watch an illegal stream of whatever match we could, and even though it was pixelated and jumpy we still felt a part of the action.

Coming up to the end of that season I decided I would actually choose a team to follow, and not just do what everyone else was. It may seem odd, but the first time I heard the Wizards name I was like 'That's the team for me'. I don't know what brought it on, but I do know that after that moment my life has been fixated on a sport played half the world away.

Over the offseason I tried to catch up on as much Wizards history that I could. The journey through being the Bullets, the Unseld era, looking into greats like Elvin Hayes, going through the shorter than hoped Arenas era, and right through into the current Wall, Beal and Porter love.

I absolutely love the Wizards. I watch every game I can, whether it's through pay-per-view or the crappy streams I mentioned earlier. Even when we lose I'm happy that I've witnessed the Wizards play yet again, and boy is it a good feeling.

After the recent playoff loss I'm not too happy, seeing as I screamed the house down when Pierce made the 3, that was later disallowed :(

But I'm in this for the long run. To be honest I just came here to say, you guys have picked up a lifelong Wizards fan. And at just 15, I've got a few more years in me yet. Hell, I've even started to support the Redskins, seeing as my friend runs a popular blog about them and they are in Washington.

You'll probably see me posting in as many threads as I can, and apologies in advance if I ask questions that may seem obvious to you vets, but 2k can only do so much in the way of teaching me the rules of the game and trading.

And I guess that's it. If you have any questions (I can't see why you would, I'm only a fan from Australia :P) I'm here.

Welcome aboard, man! Way to not be a typical superstar follower, too. I know a lot of people who were the biggest Heat fans you can imagine, then suddenly, inexplicably became Cavaliers fans last year.

Also, I'm a server at Outback Steakhouse (for a few more months until I get my teaching degree). If you're ever in the States and want a taste of home, please do NOT go to Outback Steakhouse.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#38 » by montestewart » Sun May 24, 2015 3:29 pm

GutsyBug wrote:I'm not really sure where to post this? I guess it's an introduction of sorts. I wanted to put it in the 'What do the Wiz mean to you? Why are you here?' thread but seeing as it hasn't been posted in since 2009, I thought maybe that's not a great idea.

The exact opposite side of the world from Washington DC is somewhere off the coast of southwestern Australia, right? Makes perfect sense that you would follow the Wizards, and I don't even think you are the only Australian here. You probably came at a pretty good time, because, believe me, there were some years you really didn't want to drop by. Perhaps you can bring them a little luck to aid in their ascent.

The are a few of us who here who watched Unseld, Hayes, Dandridge, Chenier, etc play for championships and even win one. This is a pretty good spot for Wizards/Bullets history, and it's become the place to read about what DC was like before Starbucks came along.

History note re Porter, there was a PG named Kevin Porter who once held the team record for APG and total assists. After the Bullets were swept by the Warriors in the 1975 finals, he was traded to the Pistons for Hall of Famer and future Detroit mayor Dave Bing, who gave the Bullets one good year but was a shadow of his prime. Porter missed the Bullets appearances in the 1978 and 1979 finals, then returned to the Bullets in 1980 for four years, including the one where he led the league in APG and set team assist records (later broken by Rod Strickland and exceeded by Wall also) and also missing a full season due to injury.

Welcome, brother! (Did you identify your gender? If you are a sister, please forgive my incorrect assumption.)
RealGM

Post#39 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 24, 2015 5:00 pm

Gutsybug, that was one of the best posts I have ever seen on this board. I recommend it as an HOF post!

One of my sons is also 15 years old. I've been posting on this board since he (and you) were 1 year olds. The good news is I wasn't posting all the time. I have another son who's 13. :)

Montestewart is correct. Your timing is impeccable. This is a good time to be a Wizards fan. I was your age or thereabouts when Elvin, Wes, Bobby D, and others were in their heydey. Those days were great, but there were 25-35 pretty crappy years in between.

Back in the day there was no live streaming video. Games came on local tv. Computers were called mainframes. The Commodore Vic 20 was the first personal computer that I ever heard of, and it was primative. Access to basketball was much simpler. James Brown (he does US football) was one of the local color commentators. Marty Aranoff (big time stats guy) was a local guy IIRC. Things were simple. I am amazed at how technology has evolved the past 40 years...

The Bullets had players one time come to my school when I was 15. (Friendly HS, Larry Wright and Roger Phegley...or was it Tom Kropp?). That was exciting! Those guys on our blacktop...

Good for you that you chose a team over Lebron! :)

The Wizards are anything but boring. I've got the best feeling about OUR TEAM moving forward that I've had since way back then. Gutsybug, keep stealing those live streams...errr, I mean watch as oft as you can! The Wizards are a good team to follow. Wall, Beal, and Porter have a good chance at success for years to come.

Enjoy your years ahead of you, Gutsybug!

Use your writing and other gifts well and do associate with nothing but good people who are about positivity and moving forward in life. Also, keep playing basketball, no matter where or if you go to college for academics only.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 am

I hope each and every one of you are having a meaningful (and enjoyable) Memorial Day. In between the great times with family and friends, I hope we're all able to reflect a bit on the brave men and women who have died in service and defense of our nation.

Or, to say it another way --

"Happy" Memorial Day, haters and losers.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/602571404861636608[/tweet]

--Confucius

- Yoda

Return to Washington Wizards