ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#781 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm

DCZards wrote:Good feedback thus far. Agree that it needs to be little shorter and your comments need to be more succinct..and that you need to project your voice.

Also, when talking about a particular player you should be sure to use their name occasionally during the course of your analysis--and not only when you initially introduce a given player. Some people will surf ahead through your video and they will want to know what player you're talking about at any given point in your video. So say "Barrett" from time to time when talking about RJ rather than simply saying "he" throughout your analysis of him.

Props to you for stepping out there and taking advantage of this medium, Dat. Most of us don't have the nerve to go public with our opinions.


Thank you DCZards. I should have done this 10 years ago but hey it's never to late to start!
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#782 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:54 pm

trast66 wrote:Doclinkin feedback is strong. We all have short attention spans, so 2 to 3 minutes per prospect or team needs profile with video as separate “pods”. As Doc says “we want to see what you see”. Impressive how much thought you have put in and can talk seemingly without notes. And I’d like a section on a Ben Simmons take down.


Thanks trast66. Good points. And yes, Ben Simmons take down would be pretty good right now!
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#783 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm

montestewart wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I'm a visual guy. Watching a talking head for 15 minutes is a hard sell. The analysis is always good, but what I think would give the most pop is if you were able to iso sections of video that show examples of what solidified your opinion. What you are selling in part is your 'eye test'. Plenty of people delve into stat analysis, but what has worked well for you in analysis of prospects has been the combination of respect for stats and your instincts from the eyes-on sight read of players. The audience wants to see what you see, instead of looking at your big fat head. Very few people have a big fat head that is interesting to look at by itself (Charles Barkley and Shaq perhaps). So. Scout with us. As if we were sitting side by side at a game. Consider also a three quarter length shot. Even on TV the commentators are seen from the waist up. We're not tryna kiss you, give us a little space. I feel like I can smell what you ate for lunch if we are in too close. And from a little space away you can feel free to move a bit without giving us motion sickness from natural head movements. Agreed on the monotone voice, you've got firey opinions, maybe find someone to play off of so you can get into a passionate discussion. The Dat I like will talk a little **** before getting all transcendental. Unless being the Zen Scout is your thing. Even so I want a visual mandala to look at. Something to peek at. Props for putting yourself out there. I'd love to see you with guest heads talking. Just my instant assessment. You've got good insight always, so put it in a package that people will sit through. Maybe break it down into Tiers and chew through each tier, 5 minutes here or there, 15 minutes is a long time to watch someone talk. Maybe if it were a podcast then I could listen while doing something else, not feel rude for not watching the screen :clown: . Props so far, I'm curious to see what you come up with next.


Thank you. I appreciate you held no punches. This is great feedback. I will definitely use it!

Nothing much additional to add to doclinkin and others. Agree: shorter presentation, faster, more even delivery, clips to illustrate your observations, the podcast idea wasn't bad and could grab a larger audience. I kind of liked the volume of your delivery (ever listened to the Nivek/Fishercob podcasts?), kind of a nice contrast to some of these that yell, and makes it seem more cerebral; might also work well in tandem with a more excitable person. Nice first effort, hope to see more. And you don't have a big fat head.


I was not confident when I started it. It was supposed to be a test for myself only to view but I was surprised how easily the Information flowed. I will definitely add some inflection and emphasis on certain words but I'm definitely not Steven A. :lol:

And doc is right, my head is big. :noway:
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#784 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:02 pm

doclinkin wrote:
montestewart wrote: And you don't have a big fat head.


Big and fat. It's like a butterball turkey poking out the collar of his shirt. Metaphorically speaking.


Doc keeps it 100%. :lol:
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#785 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing a basketball podcast and I did a rough draft to see how I would do.

This is the first internet video I've ever done so I would love any feedback/criticism provided.


Episode concepts:

1. "Who Dat is?"
Bonafides. Our board seems to wait until you come out with your tiers before their opinion solidifies. How do you build your tiers. Self analysis. Grade your own drafts. Biggest hits and misses. How your mocks stack against real life in terms of long term value (not accuracy of predicting what other teams will do). Why you crush the competition. Methodology. Aspirations. Frustrations with current status quo. How you hope to revolutionize player evaluation, drafts. Or at least get a job with your hometown favorite team. What is your definition of feel. Or as you pronounce it: "Phil" :clown: Examples on video. Or in word pictures. Brag a little. Self promotion.

2. Tier One:
Why it's all Zion. Who else has been on this tier before. Some drafts have no true Tier One player (HOF potential). Concerns and how you would shape his game. His role at the next level, best fits with prospective teams and what it would look like if KD, Kyrie and Zion were on the Knicks. Brief digression on if they land the #2 pick, with Kyrie interested in coming, what they might do and what they should do.

3. Ja Rules. Tier Two: allstar territory.
Rumor: Jerry West says Ja Morant is the best player in the draft. Make the case, then discuss why you would have trouble pulling the trigger. Zion vs Ja. Have the debate, then win the debate against yourself.

4. Tier Three. Lottery conversation. How deep is this draft. How many players are worth a pick at all in the 4-12 range. Or should your team trade TF down and out. If trading down who do you got. Boom/Bust players. Gambles. Worth the risk? Or better to get a role player or two and a future pick.

5. Role players and prospects. Upside vs production. Productive player vs prospects. Low floor vs high ceiling. Your philosophy on that.

6. A Brief tour through Europe. International players who have caught your eye. Masai Ujiri's comment that there are dozens of Embiids walking around in Africa.

7. Sleepers late. Draft and stash, guys you wish you had round 2 picks to steal and take a look at.

Just some ideas of episodes you could patter about, and areas you could dive deeper. Or leastways things I would like to hear you talk about.


This great bro! I love this. I may have to give you cut of my ad revenue! :D
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#786 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Illuminaire wrote:One more suggestion for you, Dat. Your eyes are looking below the camera, so it feels like you're staring at my chest. Just lift your eyes a little bit to where your camera is.


I appreciate it bro! I definitely need to practice a bit in front of the camera. It's clear I'm not a natural. :lol:
User avatar
doclinkin
General Manager
Posts: 9,345
And1: 1,506
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#787 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing a basketball podcast and I did a rough draft to see how I would do.

This is the first internet video I've ever done so I would love any feedback/criticism provided.


Episode concepts:

1. "Who Dat is?"
Bonafides. Our board seems to wait until you come out with your tiers before their opinion solidifies. How do you build your tiers. Self analysis. Grade your own drafts. Biggest hits and misses. How your mocks stack against real life in terms of long term value (not accuracy of predicting what other teams will do). Why you crush the competition. Methodology. Aspirations. Frustrations with current status quo. How you hope to revolutionize player evaluation, drafts. Or at least get a job with your hometown favorite team. What is your definition of feel. Or as you pronounce it: "Phil" :clown: Examples on video. Or in word pictures. Brag a little. Self promotion.

2. Tier One:
Why it's all Zion. Who else has been on this tier before. Some drafts have no true Tier One player (HOF potential). Concerns and how you would shape his game. His role at the next level, best fits with prospective teams and what it would look like if KD, Kyrie and Zion were on the Knicks. Brief digression on if they land the #2 pick, with Kyrie interested in coming, what they might do and what they should do.

3. Ja Rules. Tier Two: allstar territory.
Rumor: Jerry West says Ja Morant is the best player in the draft. Make the case, then discuss why you would have trouble pulling the trigger. Zion vs Ja. Have the debate, then win the debate against yourself.

4. Tier Three. Lottery conversation. How deep is this draft. How many players are worth a pick at all in the 4-12 range. Or should your team trade TF down and out. If trading down who do you got. Boom/Bust players. Gambles. Worth the risk? Or better to get a role player or two and a future pick.

5. Role players and prospects. Upside vs production. Productive player vs prospects. Low floor vs high ceiling. Your philosophy on that.

6. A Brief tour through Europe. International players who have caught your eye. Masai Ujiri's comment that there are dozens of Embiids walking around in Africa.

7. Sleepers late. Draft and stash, guys you wish you had round 2 picks to steal and take a look at.

Just some ideas of episodes you could patter about, and areas you could dive deeper. Or leastways things I would like to hear you talk about.


This great bro! I love this. I may have to give you cut of my ad revenue! :D


Joke, but I do think it'd be fun to work with you on something some time. Similar sensibilities. Anyway. Happy if it helps.
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#788 » by Dat2U » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:58 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Episode concepts:

1. "Who Dat is?"
Bonafides. Our board seems to wait until you come out with your tiers before their opinion solidifies. How do you build your tiers. Self analysis. Grade your own drafts. Biggest hits and misses. How your mocks stack against real life in terms of long term value (not accuracy of predicting what other teams will do). Why you crush the competition. Methodology. Aspirations. Frustrations with current status quo. How you hope to revolutionize player evaluation, drafts. Or at least get a job with your hometown favorite team. What is your definition of feel. Or as you pronounce it: "Phil" :clown: Examples on video. Or in word pictures. Brag a little. Self promotion.

2. Tier One:
Why it's all Zion. Who else has been on this tier before. Some drafts have no true Tier One player (HOF potential). Concerns and how you would shape his game. His role at the next level, best fits with prospective teams and what it would look like if KD, Kyrie and Zion were on the Knicks. Brief digression on if they land the #2 pick, with Kyrie interested in coming, what they might do and what they should do.

3. Ja Rules. Tier Two: allstar territory.
Rumor: Jerry West says Ja Morant is the best player in the draft. Make the case, then discuss why you would have trouble pulling the trigger. Zion vs Ja. Have the debate, then win the debate against yourself.

4. Tier Three. Lottery conversation. How deep is this draft. How many players are worth a pick at all in the 4-12 range. Or should your team trade TF down and out. If trading down who do you got. Boom/Bust players. Gambles. Worth the risk? Or better to get a role player or two and a future pick.

5. Role players and prospects. Upside vs production. Productive player vs prospects. Low floor vs high ceiling. Your philosophy on that.

6. A Brief tour through Europe. International players who have caught your eye. Masai Ujiri's comment that there are dozens of Embiids walking around in Africa.

7. Sleepers late. Draft and stash, guys you wish you had round 2 picks to steal and take a look at.

Just some ideas of episodes you could patter about, and areas you could dive deeper. Or leastways things I would like to hear you talk about.


This great bro! I love this. I may have to give you cut of my ad revenue! :D


Joke, but I do think it'd be fun to work with you on something some time. Similar sensibilities. Anyway. Happy if it helps.


That would be awesome!
User avatar
Illuminaire
Veteran
Posts: 2,722
And1: 366
Joined: Jan 04, 2010
 

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#789 » by Illuminaire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 pm

I would sub to Doc & Dat.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#790 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:12 am

Hey Dat -- congratulations on jumping into this. To me, there's no question you would be able to develop this concept into an interesting show. You have the knowledge, you talk well enough (& I'm sure you could work your presentation up a few levels once you had some examples, concepts, targets & above all experience). So far so good.

At the same time... what you presented was an off-the-cuff rap (old sense of the word) on a subject of interest to you & about which you have some advanced knowledge. What you did not present was "a show." Now... that's no surprise! This was, as you said up front, just you trying to figure out whether you would be able to do this kind of thing (as I say... no question about it).

There was no framing of the subject, no "concept," & no structure other than the simple sequence of @ 1/2 dozen names. No matter how much a person knows, no matter how good a person is at the "content" -- still, concept, framing, structure, & also output -- viewer takeaways in the context of a bigger picture -- are essential to something that's outstanding & that has a chance to catch on.

I want to illustrate -- & especially to give you some resources to look at as you decide how to go forward -- by linking to some youtube shows in other subject areas, not basketball, not related to basketball. The subject areas may not interest you, but maybe that will make it easier to pull out the elements that make them work well. In every case, there is plenty for you to learn from &, potentially, to emulate in your entirely different subject areas.

This one is for people interested in inexpensive audiophile gear. I think it's one of the best channels on youtube (...for a person interested in the subject, obviously!): the guy's moniker is Joe N Tell -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2jao3bBO9EV3-PF7r2CtQA.

Let me know what you think; It's clear to me how you could take some of the way he does stuff & apply it to NBA information. If it's not immediately clear what I'm talking about, I can say more.

& here is a very successful channel on cameras/photography https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgVwlIabrL100C9_6vyM9-g (85,000 subscribers). Totally different style from Joe.

One more -- the audiophiliac: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg. This is much more informal, mostly because Steve does a show every day!!

Once again -- terrific that you are doing this, Dat. & a very good start. For sure you can make this successful if you devote yourself to it. Your knowledge, your easy fluency talking, etc. -- & more -- make it obvious to me! Of course... you'll be the one doing the work, not me!! :)
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#791 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:16 am

Just read Doc's ideas for individual shows -- all terrific!
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
Dat2U
RealGM
Posts: 21,377
And1: 4,699
Joined: Jun 23, 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#792 » by Dat2U » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:27 pm

payitforward wrote:Hey Dat -- congratulations on jumping into this. To me, there's no question you would be able to develop this concept into an interesting show. You have the knowledge, you talk well enough (& I'm sure you could work your presentation up a few levels once you had some examples, concepts, targets & above all experience). So far so good.

At the same time... what you presented was an off-the-cuff rap (old sense of the word) on a subject of interest to you & about which you have some advanced knowledge. What you did not present was "a show." Now... that's no surprise! This was, as you said up front, just you trying to figure out whether you would be able to do this kind of thing (as I say... no question about it).

There was no framing of the subject, no "concept," & no structure other than the simple sequence of @ 1/2 dozen names. No matter how much a person knows, no matter how good a person is at the "content" -- still, concept, framing, structure, & also output -- viewer takeaways in the context of a bigger picture -- are essential to something that's outstanding & that has a chance to catch on.

I want to illustrate -- & especially to give you some resources to look at as you decide how to go forward -- by linking to some youtube shows in other subject areas, not basketball, not related to basketball. The subject areas may not interest you, but maybe that will make it easier to pull out the elements that make them work well. In every case, there is plenty for you to learn from &, potentially, to emulate in your entirely different subject areas.

This one is for people interested in inexpensive audiophile gear. I think it's one of the best channels on youtube (...for a person interested in the subject, obviously!): the guy's moniker is Joe N Tell -- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2jao3bBO9EV3-PF7r2CtQA.

Let me know what you think; It's clear to me how you could take some of the way he does stuff & apply it to NBA information. If it's not immediately clear what I'm talking about, I can say more.

& here is a very successful channel on cameras/photography https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgVwlIabrL100C9_6vyM9-g (85,000 subscribers). Totally different style from Joe.

One more -- the audiophiliac: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg. This is much more informal, mostly because Steve does a show every day!!

Once again -- terrific that you are doing this, Dat. & a very good start. For sure you can make this successful if you devote yourself to it. Your knowledge, your easy fluency talking, etc. -- & more -- make it obvious to me! Of course... you'll be the one doing the work, not me!! :)


Thank you payit. Your feedback means alot! I will check this out today!
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#793 » by payitforward » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 am

Dat -- keep pushing w/ questions & comments on what I've linked you to. I see a zillion things you could carry away from Joe N Tell's way of doing things that would translate to NBA analysis (draft, rookie review, who are the most underrated players, who's producing the most for his salary, who's best in his role, etc. etc. etc.)
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#794 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Dat -- take a look at this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7yC7UlWPigYzNaJ9iBGB3A

IMO, it's kind of meh, but as you can see they are trying to define a market niche -- & then own that niche. A learning from that....

Ah... part of this "Next Ones" channel, there's a series of videos called "Colin's Corner" where "Colin" (whoever he is) breaks down individual draft prospects. Here's his one on Tybulle:

As you can see, he does a pretty good job. The production values suck (sound is awful, & it's mostly talking head), but he does feature some in-frame video, etc.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#795 » by payitforward » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Here's another youtube channel to review & learn (i.e. "steal") from: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH_7UfQV4PnuhCm-rX4dIhw
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#796 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:02 pm

Can't believe no one is in here hashing over Game of Thrones....
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
pancakes3
General Manager
Posts: 7,704
And1: 1,018
Joined: Jul 27, 2003
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#797 » by pancakes3 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm

i hated it. it was awful. giant middle finger to the last 7 seasons.
Bullets -> Wizards
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 53,985
And1: 8,293
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#798 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:45 pm

pancakes3 wrote:i hated it. it was awful. giant middle finger to the last 7 seasons.

I was disappointed as well.

I can accept that they've had to simplify a lot of plot lines to resolve the show in one final season, but this episode wasn't even that good from a visual standpoint. It was just a bunch of closeup scenes of violence intermixed with dragons flying around in the fog. You got very little sense of the tactics or strategy. Given the amount of time and money they put into the episode, I was hoping for a battle scene comparable to the Battle of Helms Deep in Lord of the Rings. Instead, we got something that wasn't even as good as Hardhome or Battle of the Bastards. Furthermore, the lack of lighting in all the scenes made it too difficult to follow.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 11,940
And1: 3,734
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#799 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Although I think GofT jumped the shark the moment it departed from George R.R. Martin's wonderful books (some seasons ago), & even though there were scenes in Sunday's episodes where the continued violence led me to leave the room for a while, nonetheless I don't share the your disappointment in this episode, nate. Perhaps, at least to some degree, that is because I had predicted Arya would kill the Night King & was tickled when I turned out to be right.

At the same time, I can understand your reaction to the darkness. Battle of any kind & at any scale is a hard thing to make comprehensible visually, & the darkness certainly did not make what was already hard to follow any easier to follow! That said, I thought the filmmakers did manage (at the really enormous scale they were presenting) to give the battle some shape; I was engaged in/by the struggle & rocked by its ebbs & flows.

One other problem is that darkness is difficult for TVs. It does kind of vanish into gray as contrast is lost.

On the subject of battles -- as it happens I've just been reading The Mask of Command by the great English military historian John Keegan. The first long section of the book is about Alexander the Great, & that's why I'm reading the book. I mention Keegan, because if the subject of battle interests anyone here, then his great great early book The Face of Battle is a book to read -- definitely. It's about 3 of the greatest battles in European history: Agincourt, Waterloo, & the Somme.
Pay no attention to the remarks above. Or, per Ruzious: "PIF, ...the best part of your posts is your tagline."
User avatar
AFM
General Manager
Posts: 8,347
And1: 4,516
Joined: May 25, 2012

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#800 » by AFM » Thu May 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Who remember how godlike Steve Francis was? A MARYLAND LEGEND!!!!

Return to Washington Wizards