ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: nate33, LyricalRico, montestewart

Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#961 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:16 pm

bsilver wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So, I find myself waking up in the middle of the day from bizarre dreams, and I'm no longer 100% sure that I'm really awake. Makes me afraid to drive, because some of the dreams I have - I'm somehow driving 2 cars, and I lose track of 1, and i'm sure it's crashed into something. Anyone have something similar?

A few times. They are some of the scariest. When you're having a bad dream, and part of the dream is waking up and things are still bad, but you're really still dreaming.

Almost all of my dreams are unpleasant. "Fortunately", getting older results in getting up to use the bathroom a lot, so dreams don't last too long.

I hear ya brother. It's oddly comforting to know other people have the same issues I have. Hang in there, and you'll have some pleasant realities.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 11,170
And1: 3,361
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#962 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
bsilver wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So, I find myself waking up in the middle of the day from bizarre dreams, and I'm no longer 100% sure that I'm really awake. Makes me afraid to drive, because some of the dreams I have - I'm somehow driving 2 cars, and I lose track of 1, and i'm sure it's crashed into something. Anyone have something similar?

A few times. They are some of the scariest. When you're having a bad dream, and part of the dream is waking up and things are still bad, but you're really still dreaming.

Almost all of my dreams are unpleasant. "Fortunately", getting older results in getting up to use the bathroom a lot, so dreams don't last too long.

I hear ya brother. It's oddly comforting to know other people have the same issues I have. Hang in there, and you'll have some pleasant realities.



The part I resonate with is the 'waking up in the middle of the day" part. Before Pandemic Era, I never ever napped. Now I find I can get sleepy at random times and simply decide to fall over. Daytime dreams are strange no doubt. I don't get bothered by dreams but I do find it interesting that there is a difference in quality between those and the night ones. For me anyway.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#963 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:23 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
bsilver wrote:A few times. They are some of the scariest. When you're having a bad dream, and part of the dream is waking up and things are still bad, but you're really still dreaming.

Almost all of my dreams are unpleasant. "Fortunately", getting older results in getting up to use the bathroom a lot, so dreams don't last too long.

I hear ya brother. It's oddly comforting to know other people have the same issues I have. Hang in there, and you'll have some pleasant realities.



The part I resonate with is the 'waking up in the middle of the day" part. Before Pandemic Era, I never ever napped. Now I find I can get sleepy at random times and simply decide to fall over. Daytime dreams are strange no doubt. I don't get bothered by dreams but I do find it interesting that there is a difference in quality between those and the night ones. For me anyway.

I still go to work most days and park in a huge garage where there's 3 or 4 cars parked per level instead of a couple hundred, and sometimes I go to my car at 1:00 thinking I need a 10 minute nap, and it usually lasts 2 hours. And oh shirts, I'm stunned and panicked that I won't get my work done. And then I end up staying later at the office and getting farther behind and more sluggish. Gotta break this cycle. Getting regular exercise would probably help a lot - at least change my outlook.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
bsilver
Senior
Posts: 742
And1: 353
Joined: Aug 09, 2005
Location: New Haven, CT

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#964 » by bsilver » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I hear ya brother. It's oddly comforting to know other people have the same issues I have. Hang in there, and you'll have some pleasant realities.



The part I resonate with is the 'waking up in the middle of the day" part. Before Pandemic Era, I never ever napped. Now I find I can get sleepy at random times and simply decide to fall over. Daytime dreams are strange no doubt. I don't get bothered by dreams but I do find it interesting that there is a difference in quality between those and the night ones. For me anyway.

I still go to work most days and park in a huge garage where there's 3 or 4 cars parked per level instead of a couple hundred, and sometimes I go to my car at 1:00 thinking I need a 10 minute nap, and it usually lasts 2 hours. And oh shirts, I'm stunned and panicked that I won't get my work done. And then I end up staying later at the office and getting farther behind and more sluggish. Gotta break this cycle. Getting regular exercise would probably help a lot - at least change my outlook.

A “power nap” works for some people, but 2 hours seems like too long. This article has some interesting information.
https://www.sleepcycle.com/how-to-fall-asleep/how-to-power-nap-like-a-pro/
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,385
And1: 731
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#965 » by LyricalRico » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I hear ya brother. It's oddly comforting to know other people have the same issues I have. Hang in there, and you'll have some pleasant realities.



The part I resonate with is the 'waking up in the middle of the day" part. Before Pandemic Era, I never ever napped. Now I find I can get sleepy at random times and simply decide to fall over. Daytime dreams are strange no doubt. I don't get bothered by dreams but I do find it interesting that there is a difference in quality between those and the night ones. For me anyway.

I still go to work most days and park in a huge garage where there's 3 or 4 cars parked per level instead of a couple hundred, and sometimes I go to my car at 1:00 thinking I need a 10 minute nap, and it usually lasts 2 hours. And oh shirts, I'm stunned and panicked that I won't get my work done. And then I end up staying later at the office and getting farther behind and more sluggish. Gotta break this cycle. Getting regular exercise would probably help a lot - at least change my outlook.


This actually was happening to me working from home early in the pandemic - I'd doze off midday and suddenly it's 2 hours later (no dreams, tho). It even happened during a Zoom meeting once (thankfully I'd turned my camera and mic off since I was only invited as an FYI).

Around the same time I decided to use the pandemic to slim down. I bought a whole bunch of protein bars and meal replacements, then got an app that reminds me to eat at regular intervals (I set it for 2 hours). So I just eat something small and high protein every 2 hours (not even necessarily "healthy"), and so far I'm down 30 lbs since March and sleeping much better at night with no more midday crashes.

Next step is exercise, which I hate, but hoping I can add that and lose at least another 30 over the winter. :lift: Of course the big question will be if there will actually be somewhere to go next summer. Maybe I'll just bring back the Luv-a-Bulls thread and do some shirtless pics for you guys. :lol:
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#966 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Speaking of Nancy Pelosi's foolishness in hosting a Thanksgiving party for all the freshman HoR Reps, anyone planning TG festivities? Some in my extended family are pushing for it - the rest think they're nuts.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 14,073
And1: 7,140
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#967 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:Speaking of Nancy Pelosi's foolishness in hosting a Thanksgiving party for all the freshman HoR Reps, anyone planning TG festivities? Some in my extended family are pushing for it - the rest think they're nuts.

Ignorance and stupidity are fashionably flaunted, thanks to a president whose ego is fed by his own and other people's idiocy. Self-interested negligence is running rampant, flaunted libertarian-style as virtue, condescendingly as a greater grasp of the "truth," or obliviously as entitlement. I am beginning to understand why so many people struggle with basic math. The top COVID advisor knows nothing about COVID and only rails against COVID restrictions and encourages insurrection.

Such stressful circumstances call for us to evoke our humanity and commonality, reinforce our unity, and come together as one to remember the things we can be thankful for. Let's all gather maskless in small, enclosed spaces and show gratitude for our mutually assured destruction. God bless America. Amen.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#968 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Speaking of Thanksgiving, after some arguing, we're doing it differently with the extended family. Each extended family is going to make a couple of dishes and deliver servings to the other extended families, and I'll make the delivery of some of everything to the elderly parents and to an elderly friend of theirs who lives by himself. Saturday's supposed to be especially warm, so a few of us might go with leftovers to the parents' outside porch then. We got the spacing all figured out.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,897
And1: 7,649
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#969 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:16 am

When I post a LOT I am going through it.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 17,580
And1: 5,823
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#970 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Let's hear some more about that, CCJ.... What's up?
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,897
And1: 7,649
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#971 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:39 pm

PIF, in 2020 I almost died. I got involuntary hospitalized. I got all my possessions stolen. How?

I cannot recall but I think sleep deprived me was really off in the membrane. I had been in a veterans shelter for over a year and environment was getting to me . Plus one degenerate dude was one of my three roommates.

I was staying at a hotel in Waikiki and lost my mind, apparently. I don’t know but I could have had same rat bastard drop something on me OR I can add Schizophrenia to my laundry list of what is affecting me at times.

Long story short all I owned was in my 2010 Hyundai Sante Fe SUV. Wallet, keys, cell phone, clothes, memorabilia, important papers with military records...kids pictures...

When I was locked down in the psyche ward for allegedly threatening another veteran (TRANSLATION: Lying scared mofos played me or they were legitimately concerned) MY CAR WAS STOLEN back in October or so.

I didn’t even know for all the “treatment “ at the good ole VAMC...

So, they discharged me homeless with no phone, no access to my bank accounts or credit cards, and no picture ID . ...

Fast forward to Christmas holidays not hearing from sons or daughter. Jesus is the reason for the season but I’m feeling blessed just breathing and not having hurt someone or vice versa.

I’m good, PIF, but this year shook me to my core. COVID-19 and all kinds of restrictions..no beach access and YES I HAD A DUST UP with some local boy lifeguards who thought they didn’t want me at their beach

(That one turned out great! Fun dudes who respect me now and I do them; but the governor has everything on lock down here and they were just doing their job I guess)

Any how pif, the going through in short: Nate Robinson and Dwayne Haskins, I can sorta relate. The GOOD NEWS is I am communicating. Vulnerable. Candid. Unbroken.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 11,170
And1: 3,361
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#972 » by doclinkin » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:12 pm

appreciate you CCJ my friend, empathy that you're going thru it. as always let us know if theres anything we can do.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,897
And1: 7,649
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#973 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:45 am

Will do good doctor Dave of who the F you really are.

Bi-Polar bear and Big Cat has much love
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
wall_glizzy
Junior
Posts: 284
And1: 168
Joined: Jun 15, 2019
 

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#974 » by wall_glizzy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:03 am

Read on Twitter


I'd prefer not to talk about it
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,897
And1: 7,649
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#975 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:57 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:PIF, in 2020 I almost died. I got involuntary hospitalized. I got all my possessions stolen. How?

I cannot recall but I think sleep deprived me was really off in the membrane. I had been in a veterans shelter for over a year and environment was getting to me . Plus one degenerate dude was one of my three roommates.

I was staying at a hotel in Waikiki and lost my mind, apparently. I don’t know but I could have had same rat bastard drop something on me OR I can add Schizophrenia to my laundry list of what is affecting me at times.

Long story short all I owned was in my 2010 Hyundai Sante Fe SUV. Wallet, keys, cell phone, clothes, memorabilia, important papers with military records...kids pictures...

When I was locked down in the psyche ward for allegedly threatening another veteran (TRANSLATION: Lying scared mofos played me or they were legitimately concerned) MY CAR WAS STOLEN back in October or so.

I didn’t even know for all the “treatment “ at the good ole VAMC...

So, they discharged me homeless with no phone, no access to my bank accounts or credit cards, and no picture ID . ...

Fast forward to Christmas holidays not hearing from sons or daughter. Jesus is the reason for the season but I’m feeling blessed just breathing and not having hurt someone or vice versa.

I’m good, PIF, but this year shook me to my core. COVID-19 and all kinds of restrictions..no beach access and YES I HAD A DUST UP with some local boy lifeguards who thought they didn’t want me at their beach

(That one turned out great! Fun dudes who respect me now and I do them; but the governor has everything on lock down here and they were just doing their job I guess)

Any how pif, the going through in short: Nate Robinson and Dwayne Haskins, I can sorta relate. The GOOD NEWS is I am communicating. Vulnerable. Candid. Unbroken.



Guys, I have good news.


My youngest son is now in the Marines. He and I hadn't spoken on the phone at length in YEARS. We spoke over an hour on the phone.


Haven't seen him in quite some time but he's doing very well. THE LOVE and the TIME were worth it, no matter what went down 7-8 years ago.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#976 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:29 am

Congrats about your son, CCJ. Always good to hear about your successes.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#977 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Say yes to long-term health insurance - if you can. It ain't cheap - especially the longer you wait - but I'm lucky my parents (near 90 now) bought it. It covers home health aids - not just nursing home costs - so we've gone and hired 2 home health aids (who seem great), so we can keep them from needing a nursing home. It covers the cost of the aids after a 100 day elimination period. The insurance covers up to $265 a day and a cumulative amount of up to $580,350. With 2 policies, the parent that outlives the other can use the unused remainder of the other's policy. Getting old ain't for sissies, and neither is planning for it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,811
And1: 2,801
Joined: Mar 24, 2010
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#978 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:00 pm

Shawn Bradley. Wow.

Didn't Shawn eventually turn things around and become a fairly dominant defensive player? I feel like we discussed this at some length.

Anyway Shawn has more important stuff to worry about now and I'm sending him positive vibes and healing thoughts.

Read on Twitter
CRAZY. STUPID. LOUD.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 46,416
And1: 10,535
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#979 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:24 pm

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,897
And1: 7,649
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#980 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:37 pm

After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.

Return to Washington Wizards