Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#1001 » by DCZards » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:29 am

NatP4 wrote:
Eleqtrique wrote:
NatP4 wrote:agreed, Oubre becoming a good 3&D role player at 15th overall is a nice win for us. Look at the draft class:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

He ups that 3pt% to about 35% and continues to improve on D(which is inevitable) he's comfortably the best wing player in that 1st round.

That's when assuming those guys mentioned do not improve at all.

That being said, I do believe he's going to be either 3rd, 2nd or the best wing player from that draft class. Stanley, Oubre and Winslow should all become big time wing players in the league. Will see soon enough, as all 3 will see some extended minutes this season. Stan could even start for Detroit, make or break year for him.

I don't follow Johnson closely enough, whats the summary on him so far? I see Winslow as a really good role player that won't ever create his shot or generate offense in the half court, Tony Allen like.

I think Winslow has the most upside of all the wings listed above. Good athlete, excellent defender and a great motor. He needs to work on his shooting but the physical tools are there. Winslow only played 18 games last season due to injury. I'm expecting a breakout year from him next season.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#1002 » by NatP4 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 am

DCZards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Eleqtrique wrote:

That being said, I do believe he's going to be either 3rd, 2nd or the best wing player from that draft class. Stanley, Oubre and Winslow should all become big time wing players in the league. Will see soon enough, as all 3 will see some extended minutes this season. Stan could even start for Detroit, make or break year for him.

I don't follow Johnson closely enough, whats the summary on him so far? I see Winslow as a really good role player that won't ever create his shot or generate offense in the half court, Tony Allen like.

I think Winslow has the most upside of all the wings listed above. Good athlete, excellent defender and a great motor. He needs to work on his shooting but the physical tools are there. Winslow only played 18 games last season due to injury. I'm expecting a breakout year from him next season.

Not seeing it personally, has the size of a 2 guard, lacks length to finish at the rim. Has zero ability to creat off the dribble, and has that broken shot.

I love the motor and basketball instincts, I just think he really lacks the physical tools and skill. Next Tony Allen or Andre Roberson? Sure, much more than that? Can't see it
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#1003 » by Joel Embust » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Eleqtrique wrote:
NatP4 wrote:agreed, Oubre becoming a good 3&D role player at 15th overall is a nice win for us. Look at the draft class:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

He ups that 3pt% to about 35% and continues to improve on D(which is inevitable) he's comfortably the best wing player in that 1st round.

I posted this on the GB earlier:

He's supposedly having a much better offseason than last year. He's in a better place mentally and has coach SvG on his side. He's doing the right things to prepare for next season. The magical third season. He played out of position quite often last season and never really managed to solidify a steady role off the bench. He played backup SG a lot, because they had Marcus Morris at SF and Tobias also played minutes at SF.

Now, Marcus Morris is gone, meaning he's the favorite to start at SF. Tobias is better at PF, whether that is as a starting PF or sixth man getting minutes at PF and some at SF.

So everything is coming together going in to the magical 3rd season. It's a make or break season for the Stanimal and it's all up to him and him alone. He's got the keys to his own success now, no excuses.

His shot is still lacking. His defense is good, rebounding, sharing the ball, ability to create for himself. It's mostly about getting that jumpshot to fall.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1004 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:30 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
J-Ves wrote:
BurtGummer wrote:Oubre is a hot headed clown.He can play a little (very little) defense and everyone has this sick man crush on him
Pretty laughable

Have you SEEN his eyes?!?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

And those uber dreamy cheek bones!

Dat a$$! :D
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1005 » by Dat2U » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 am

NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Not seeing it personally, has the size of a 2 guard, lacks length to finish at the rim. Has zero ability to creat off the dribble, and has that broken shot.

I love the motor and basketball instincts, I just think he really lacks the physical tools and skill. Next Tony Allen or Andre Roberson? Sure, much more than that? Can't see it

Tony Allen was heckuva player, especially in his prime. His arrival in Memphis is what changed the culture there.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1006 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
DCZards wrote:I think Winslow has the most upside of all the wings listed above. Good athlete, excellent defender and a great motor. He needs to work on his shooting but the physical tools are there. Winslow only played 18 games last season due to injury. I'm expecting a breakout year from him next season.

Tony Allen was heckuva player, especially in his prime. His arrival in Memphis is what changed the culture there.

Yes, he was. & for that matter, don't underestimate Andre Roberson either!

You can be a tremendous player w/o scoring a lot of points.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1007 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:30 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Not seeing it personally, has the size of a 2 guard, lacks length to finish at the rim. Has zero ability to creat off the dribble, and has that broken shot.

Yes, he was. & for that matter, don't underestimate Andre Roberson either!

You can be a tremendous player w/o scoring a lot of points.

For most of the game sure, but he was unplayable in foul bonus situations. He shot 14% from the FT line in the playoffs... that is abominable. Hell he was in the low 40s in the regular season. :/

He's basically an offensive tragedy who players defense really damn well. He should have move opportunities to cut to the basket and such with PG getting more defensive attention. So maybe his production will improve this season. Your 1/3 basically have to be really offensive competent for you to trot out Roberson and expect to run some decent offensive execution. Hopefully his 3 pt shot improves.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,335

Post#1008 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 am

Bump!

After 3 games (2 as a starter), Oubre is averaging 11 points, 6.5 boards, 2 steals and a block with just 0.7 turnovers. His ORtg is 117 and his DRtg is 106. He is shooting 38.5% from 3.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1009 » by tontoz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:59 pm

nate33 wrote:Bump!

After 3 games (2 as a starter), Oubre is averaging 11 points, 6.5 boards, 2 steals and a block with just 0.7 turnovers. His ORtg is 117 and his DRtg is 106. He is shooting 38.5% from 3.

If he can maintain that shooting from 3 and avoid the cringe worthy drives then we may have something. I need to see it over 3 months to feel confident though.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1010 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Eleqtrique wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Eleqtrique wrote:

I posted this on the GB earlier:

He's supposedly having a much better offseason than last year. He's in a better place mentally and has coach SvG on his side. He's doing the right things to prepare for next season. The magical third season. He played out of position quite often last season and never really managed to solidify a steady role off the bench. He played backup SG a lot, because they had Marcus Morris at SF and Tobias also played minutes at SF.

Now, Marcus Morris is gone, meaning he's the favorite to start at SF. Tobias is better at PF, whether that is as a starting PF or sixth man getting minutes at PF and some at SF.

So everything is coming together going in to the magical 3rd season. It's a make or break season for the Stanimal and it's all up to him and him alone. He's got the keys to his own success now, no excuses.

His shot is still lacking. His defense is good, rebounding, sharing the ball, ability to create for himself. It's mostly about getting that jumpshot to fall.

To me, Johnson has superstar physical ability, but it's painful to watch him because it's just not showing on the court. He's the kind of player I'd like to sign once he becomes a free agent - and hope the light (and jump shot) go on for him.

Winslow - also has a great NBA body - but his lack of length is going to prevent him from being a defensive stopper at the 3. And as mentioned, his jump shot's broken. I don't see him being more than a good backup swingman.

Hollis-Jefferson - another talented SF without a jump shot. He's the most fun to watch of the players mentioned, but can you excel as a 3 without without a 3? He's going to get lots of chances to prove it - playing for Brooklyn.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1011 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm

nate33 wrote:After 3 games (2 as a starter), Oubre is averaging 11 points, 6.5 boards, 2 steals and a block with just 0.7 turnovers. His ORtg is 117 and his DRtg is 106. He is shooting 38.5% from 3.

Yep. So far so good. Fouls down, TOs down, blocks up, steals up, 3 pt. % up.

...in 106 minutes! :) If he keeps it up, great!!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1012 » by nuposse04 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:57 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:After 3 games (2 as a starter), Oubre is averaging 11 points, 6.5 boards, 2 steals and a block with just 0.7 turnovers. His ORtg is 117 and his DRtg is 106. He is shooting 38.5% from 3.

Yep. So far so good. Fouls down, TOs down, blocks up, steals up, 3 pt. % up.

...in 106 minutes! :) If he keeps it up, great!!

These are probably the two initial improvements I'm happiest to see. He is playing a bit more under control (since his handles do look a bit better) and he is actually useful throughout a game instead of hacking opposing players to death.

He has a good looking shot, but I still feel like he'll go through dry spells from beyond the arc.... but hopefully those are few and far apart inbetween.

His man defense has been a joy to watch at times. :nod:
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#1013 » by J-Ves » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:32 pm

He leads the team in minutes played, which says a lot when you consider the Wiz have 3 potential all stars.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1014 » by NatP4 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 4:54 pm

can we revisit the 2015 draft class. Oubre clearly was the best wing, better than all of:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Dekker

in a redraft he probably goes 5th behind Porzingis, Towns, Booker, Turner, and I would still take him over Booker.

11.5 points, 6.2 rebounds, 1.3 steals, 44% from 3, 45% overall. 75% from the line. The actual starting lineup featuring Oubre is an absurd +25 net in 125 minutes ( small sample size though right?)
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1015 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Nov 4, 2017 2:12 pm

The Wizards nailed this draft pick. First time in a long time that they successfully drafted outside the lottery

So far, it appears that Oubre is starting to follow Otto's development curve. He's averaging 12pts, 6 reb, on 61 TS%

His 50% 3pt is obviously unsustainable, but the fact that more than half of his attempts are threes is a VERY good sign of him being comfortable with his shot. With Brad and Otto being reluctant 3P shooters at times or preferring the midrange, it's going to pay huge dividends having another wing who has no conscience about taking and making 4-5+ threes in a game

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1016 » by prime1time » Sun Nov 5, 2017 7:38 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:The Wizards nailed this draft pick. First time in a long time that they successfully drafted outside the lottery

So far, it appears that Oubre is starting to follow Otto's development curve. He's averaging 12pts, 6 reb, on 61 TS%

His 50% 3pt is obviously unsustainable, but the fact that more than half of his attempts are threes is a VERY good sign of him being comfortable with his shot. With Brad and Otto being reluctant 3P shooters at times or preferring the midrange, it's going to pay huge dividends having another wing who has no conscience about taking and making 4-5+ threes in a game

It might come down a little bit, but let's put it in context. Trevor Ariza had some of his best 3-point percentage years when he came here. We now have Beal,Otto and Morris that need to be accounted for. Oubre will continue to get wide open looks, and to the degree that opposing defenses close out on him adequately, he's talented enough to put the ball on the floor and attack the hoop. As Oubre continues to work on his game his on ball game will continue to evolve. I'd love to see Brooks run Oubre off screens when he comes off the bench. Oubre is oozing with potential. The main limit on his game now is his ball handling. Seeing how he's working with the same trainer that Brad did, I have confidence that that will improve to.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1017 » by prime1time » Sun Nov 5, 2017 7:39 pm

Just goes to show what can happen when the Wiz keep their 1st round picks...
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1018 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 am

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1019 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:42 am

Illmatic12 wrote:The Wizards nailed this draft pick. First time in a long time that they successfully drafted outside the lottery

Remember all the backlash I got for my Oubre hype on BF illmatic??? Remember when I said Porzingis was the only player in the draft I would take over Oubre?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1020 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:18 am

NatP4 wrote:

Remember all the backlash I got for my Oubre hype on BF illmatic??? Remember when I said Porzingis was the only player in the draft I would take over Oubre?

:lol: My guy, you took backlash for bashing Bradley Beal (who is about to be an All-Star) and saying he would never amount to anything because he "dribbles too much".. lol.

You wanted us to let Beal walk/trade him and start KO+Porter.. the irony is that we'd probably be better off trading Otto's contract for a big man and starting Beal+Oubre on the wings.

A lot of us were big fans of Oubre, I liked him ever since I saw him in Vegas SL as a rookie. The people who look dumb (and those posts can probably be found in the earlier annals of thread) are the ones saying we should have drafted Portis and that Oubre was going to be nothing but a Nick Young. So far it looks like his FLOOR is Trevor Ariza

Return to Washington Wizards