ImageImageImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: RE: Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#1101 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Was a bit surprised when I heard the pick, I guess the Wiz really liked his workout?

Hope he's not another Swaggy..
Thank goodness he is not!

I like Kelly Oubre's mentality and mindset for young guy

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1102 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 pm

jayscott wrote:
AFM wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Everything I've read makes him sound like a typical Ernie pick.

Style over substance, always going for the home run.

Hope Oubre reverses the trend. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders in interviews, hope his ego can deal with watching the games from the best seat in the house.

Why, because he's athletic?
10 rebounds /40
Everything I've read shows him to be an excellent defender
Decent 3 point shooter

No. Because he is a project. Ernie is notorious for drafting project players and not developing them.

I have done some research on the cat. I think he is pretty talented. Like you mentioned before, he is a good rebounder for his size. He can also run the floor pretty well and if he picks up some bulk he can switch time with Otto playing a mini stretch 4. I also think it is gonna take a bit for him to put it together and he is gonna sit on the pine for awhile.

To me this means that he might be an asset in a future trade. If he rots on the bench (which is what I suspect will happen to dude) then it is another wasted pick.
Future trade did not work out but that is probably what Ernie Grunfeld was thinking... In my opinion

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1103 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 pm

nate33 wrote:I think this was a pretty good pick. We've drafted a guy who has a real chance at being a legit, full time starter in a couple of years. That's more than one can hope for when walk into draft day having only the #19 pick.
Most of the NBA would say it was a good pick but I think Portis would have been a much better selection.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1104 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Look I don't want to hate on Kelly Obre, I just would have rather had Portis. Maybe he can play some 3 when otto steps in to play stretch 4 or while otto is resting and PP plays 4 (if he comes back) If PP leaves then I understand the pick a bit more. I mean its a solid pick I just would rather not gamble when you got the 15th pick for almost nothing. But hey if he turns out to be a better trevor ariza, I'm down. remember how trevor looked when he was young and in LA. I hope the kid has a decent head on his shoulders and a good attitude. If he does, and he works hard. Then hey lets go small ball lol.
Exactly.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1105 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:13 pm

dobrojim wrote:Sounds more like they envision him (at least for the short term) as being a guy
that might make a good 3 man rotation at the 2-3 with Beal and Porter. If he
can fill that role as early as this year, he'll be an excellent pick.

Do I understand that we only gave up 2 2016 2nds in order to flip picks
with ATL? That doesn't seem like too much for a player in the lottery as
opposed to a guy at 19. Capt Obvious says we'll just have to wait and see
how it pans out. Coulda had Portis, coulda had CCJ's guy Looney who really
dropped. Coulda had Grant who I thought sounded potentially like a solid
player who coulda been a good 3rd guard.

6ers got Doc's guy Holmes who I was hoping might be there at 49.
Got taken well before that.
Turns out I liked Looney even better than Portis.

Not surprising because I'm pretty good at this.

Just this past week I thought about dobro Jim. I met this guy who was a ultra-marathoner and a bike rider. Dude said his resting heart rate is something like in the 40s...

I was reminded of way back in the day when Jim used to post photographs...

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#1106 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
queridiculo wrote:The Wizards needed another small forward as much as they needed.... a 12 year Ernie Grunfeld tenure.

12 years a slave is enough.

I don't ever want to think about Grunfeld as GM. It's depression times 12.

I need a new hobby.
Damn I was fed up with being a wizard fan 3 years ago!!!

My ass is still around.... Jeez Louise I'm a glutton for punishment.

I was pissed when they drafted Kelly.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1107 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:16 pm

jayscott wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:It just doesn't make much sense to be developing 2 young SFs when you want to be a contending team and you plan on making a run at Durant - who's primarily a SF - next offseason. If the Wiz were a rebuilding team, it'd make sense, but we ain't a rebuilding team.

I can't argue with this. Portis would have been a MUCH better fit on the roster given our short term and long term needs. I take some small solace in the fact that Portis slipped all the way to #22. Maybe the GM's know something that we don't know (or maybe they're just idiots). Also, I strongly suspect that EG has a plan in place to obtain a decent veteran stretch four. It's the only explanation for the front office's absolute certitude that Aaron White will be stashed overseas. Hopefully, that stretch four will be a guy like Terrence Jones (for our TPE) and not merely Drew Gooden.

I like Oubre and I agree with the both of you guys. Portis addresses team needs better than Oubre does. And he can immediately contribute. I don't understand Ernie's fascination for raw talent. They never develop well here. Portis going to the Bulls though might mean that Taj is available.

I wouldn't find much solace in Portis slipping down to #22. Justise Winslow slipped down quite a bit and he is better than at least four of the players drafted ahead of him.

And you will be sorely disappointed if the team sticks with just Gooden. I don't suspect Ernie has a plan outside of Gooden.
I really enjoy reading what Jay Scott has to say.

From 3 years ago it's just as interesting today

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1108 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
jayscott wrote:
nate33 wrote:I can't argue with this. Portis would have been a MUCH better fit on the roster given our short term and long term needs. I take some small solace in the fact that Portis slipped all the way to #22. Maybe the GM's know something that we don't know (or maybe they're just idiots). Also, I strongly suspect that EG has a plan in place to obtain a decent veteran stretch four. It's the only explanation for the front office's absolute certitude that Aaron White will be stashed overseas. Hopefully, that stretch four will be a guy like Terrence Jones (for our TPE) and not merely Drew Gooden.

I like Oubre and I agree with the both of you guys. Portis addresses team needs better than Oubre does. And he can immediately contribute. I don't understand Ernie's fascination for raw talent. They never develop well here. Portis going to the Bulls though might mean that Taj is available.

I wouldn't find much solace in Portis slipping down to #22. Justise Winslow slipped down quite a bit and he is better than at least four of the players drafted ahead of him.

And you will be sorely disappointed if the team sticks with just Gooden. I don't suspect Ernie has a plan outside of Gooden.

Yup. Gooden's good for a streak here and there, but they need longer term answers - and really need to get 2 bigs - considering Nene may be basically done.
Isn't it funny that Nene Hilario is a member of the Houston Rockets now and he may be heading to the NBA finals along with Trevor Ariza!

Taj Gibson is doing quite well with Minnesota.

Bobby Portis is still with the Bulls and Mirotic is with the Pelicans.

The Wizards can't win more than 40 some games and lose in the first round.... Their big men stink largely because of Ernie grunfeld stupidity.

Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#1109 » by NatP4 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Oubre still has tons of upside. He’s nowhere near a finished product as of now.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1110 » by payitforward » Sat May 26, 2018 10:12 pm

AWIZZINGBULLET wrote:What you guys are missing was the Wizards need for perimeter defense. Someone said the Wizards are "loaded" at the 3...in body only, not in ability. Webster is a very average defender. The Wizards need a guy who can defend off the bench as well as provide scoring.

My guy Terry Rozier was selected directly after him...that's the only thing that hurts me about this pick. Always seems to happen this way. Rozier's going to impress...just watch.
Your guy Scary Terry is way better than Kelly o.

No doubt about it. But... Kelly is 2 years younger than Rozier.

When the coming season starts, KO will be @4 months older than Rozier was at the beginning of the 2016-2017 season. Compare what Rozier did in 2016-17 to what KO does this season for a more meaningful comparison.

OTOH, he illustrates one of the big problems of drafting guys who are 19.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1111 » by gambitx777 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:58 pm

I think hind sight shows it was a good pick, now do we trade otto in the off season and go all in on Kelley.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#1112 » by AFM » Sun May 27, 2018 2:00 am

Maybe I'll read this.

I miss afms sexual innuendo... Too bad the wizard suck so bad

I havent been poasting that much either brother....we will see what happens this summer
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1113 » by NatP4 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 am

gambitx777 wrote:I think hind sight shows it was a good pick, now do we trade otto in the off season and go all in on Kelley.

Hell nah, start them both. Draft another good player, we only had 4 of them last year.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1114 » by Dat2U » Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I think hind sight shows it was a good pick, now do we trade otto in the off season and go all in on Kelley.

What does "go all in on Kelley" even mean? We need multiple guys with length who can both F spots. Why is Otto's presence tied to Kelly Oubre's development? Oubre averaged 27.5 minutes last year.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1115 » by Dat2U » Sun May 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:
jayscott wrote:

Yup. Gooden's good for a streak here and there, but they need longer term answers - and really need to get 2 bigs - considering Nene may be basically done.
Isn't it funny that Nene Hilario is a member of the Houston Rockets now and he may be heading to the NBA finals along with Trevor Ariza!

Taj Gibson is doing quite well with Minnesota.

Bobby Portis is still with the Bulls and Mirotic is with the Pelicans.

The Wizards can't win more than 40 some games and lose in the first round.... Their big men stink largely because of Ernie grunfeld stupidity.

If watching the Conference Finals has shown anything, it's become a league of guards & wings. Oubre fits the modern game better than Portis. Nene can't get off the bench for Houston. Even the Cavs have played much better w/o Kevin Love in the lineup.

Portis also can't defend anyone or hasn't shown the willingness to. I still see Oubre's upside as Ariza, maybe a little better in time. Only reason I'd seriously consider moving Oubre is financial reasons. When drafted, I said Oubre was 2 years away from being 2 years away. After 3 years, I'm confident his development track is the same. He's likely another year away from truly having a positive impact.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1116 » by DCZards » Sun May 27, 2018 3:05 pm

^^ I’ve been saying pretty much the same thing when it comes to Oubre vs. Portis. I wanted the Zards to draft Portis but they made the right move in drafting Oubre instead.

Portis is simply too slow-footed and that’s a problem, especially on the defensive end. He’s had a minimal impact on a bad Bulls team.

Oubre, on the other hand, is long, fast, athletic and plays hard ALL the time. That’s what you want in today’s NBA, especially at the increasingly important wing position. From all accounts, Kelly also has a great work ethic and a real desire to get better. There’s already been an obvious improvement in his ability to use his right hand and to take opponents off the dribble.

Oubre’s biggest problem is between the ears, but that’s not a big surprise given his youth. So there’s room for considerable growth in that area.

I understand the salary crunch the Zards are facing, and a good, smart trade for Oubre (like for a first round pick) would probably be a wise move. But any rush to trade Kelly based upon an unknown future salary # would be a mistake.

Oubre is the Zards best player off the bench, imo. He certainly has more upside than anyone off the bench. Remove Kelly from an already mediocre bench and you only create bigger problems.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1117 » by payitforward » Sun May 27, 2018 6:41 pm

I have no idea whether Portis is "slow-footed." I'd love to know how you tell that.

What I do know is that he shot below PF average on 2's, 3's & FTAs &, therefore, posted a below average TS%. He also turned the ball over a little more than a PF should & blocked shots a little less. What he did do, however, was rebound well on both ends. Assist above average, & commit fouls below average.

Overall, Portis was about an average NBA PF. Had we drafted him in 2015, perhaps we wouldn't have traded a lottery pick for Markieff Morris, who isn't as good a player as Portis by any means.

W/ that #13 pick in 2016, perhaps we would have picked Denzel Valentine? Or perhaps we might have traded it to the Sixers for their #s 24 & 26 & then taken Pascal Siakam & Dejounte Murray.

Of course, in 2015, instead of trading up for Oubre or taking Portis, perhaps we might have traded down instead & wound up with Larry Nance & Montrezl Harrell. That would have left our 2016 R2 pick in our hands as well, which we could maybe have packaged w/ our 2017 r2 pick to move up some spots in the 2017 draft & drafted Josh Hart.

Lets see...

Larry Nance
Montrezl Harrell
Pascal Siakam
Dejounte Murray
Josh Hart

instead of Kelly Oubre. Yeah, I'm okay with that.

What...? It's a fantasy? Hart went in R1? I thought Harrell was a stiff? I'd never even heard of Dejounte Murray? Siakam looked like a mid- late-R2 pick to me? Wel, so what?!?!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1118 » by NatP4 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Wasn’t Portis dead last in DRPM for power forwards? Which would obviously be dead last for centers as well, meaning he is literally the worst defender out of all big men in the entire nba. Add in the inefficiency, hard pass. Plus he’s a dirtbag
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#1119 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 27, 2018 7:58 pm

AFM wrote:
Maybe I'll read this.

I miss afms sexual innuendo... Too bad the wizard suck so bad

I havent been poasting that much either brother....we will see what happens this summer
Kool

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1120 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 pm

NatP4 wrote:

Hell nah, start them both. Draft another good player, we only had 4 of them last year.
If anything trade Beal

Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards