ImageImageImageImageImage

Kelly Oubre

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#981 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:He's doing a lot of those step-back jumpers wrong - he's taking 2 steps after stopping his dribble. Ya gotta start that first step back before stopping the dribble, or you're going to get called for travelling - unless you're playing against the New Jersey Generals.

James Harden does it all the time.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#982 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He's doing a lot of those step-back jumpers wrong - he's taking 2 steps after stopping his dribble. Ya gotta start that first step back before stopping the dribble, or you're going to get called for travelling - unless you're playing against the New Jersey Generals.

James Harden does it all the time.

If he does, he does it a helluvalot quicker in real games than Oubre does in drills.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#983 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 pm

NatP4 wrote:would like to see KO up his 3pt% to around 35-36% and continue to raise his defensive efficiency numbers to jump from average defender to stopper. Hopefully he sees a nice spike in minutes to around 25 per game, averaged 13 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2 steals per 36 last year.

If he does those things, he's going to get PAID at the end of his rookie deal. Don't think he needs to even add the off the dribble secondary scorer game to be a high level wing player in our system.

He made 29.8% of his 3's last season. He's obviously a gifted defender, but he needs to cut down dramatically on his fouling. His rebounding was also disappointing last season, since he was significantly better as a rookie and did a great job rebounding in his year of college.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#984 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:would like to see KO up his 3pt% to around 35-36% and continue to raise his defensive efficiency numbers to jump from average defender to stopper. Hopefully he sees a nice spike in minutes to around 25 per game, averaged 13 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2 steals per 36 last year.

If he does those things, he's going to get PAID at the end of his rookie deal. Don't think he needs to even add the off the dribble secondary scorer game to be a high level wing player in our system.

He made 29.8% of his 3's last season. He's obviously a gifted defender, but he needs to cut down dramatically on his fouling. His rebounding was also disappointing last season, since he was significantly better as a rookie and did a great job rebounding in his year of college.

agreed on the rebounding, needs to get back to being active on the glass like Otto Porter. Shot the 3 above 30% his rookie season and above 36% in the playoffs this last year, shot it at over 40% as a starter his rookie season, and 36% in his lone season at Kansas. I think we can all agree its time for KO to put together a full season where his 3 ball is somewhat consistent and he becomes a real shooting threat. A solid 3&D guy playing in between Wall Beal Porter and Gortat is a huge weapon.
BurtGummer
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#985 » by BurtGummer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Oubre is a hot headed clown.He can play a little (very little) defense and everyone has this sick man crush on him
Pretty laughable
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#986 » by J-Ves » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Oubre needs to work on 3 things this offseason. 3pt accuracy, defense, and learning to foul less. I really don't care about his dribble/drive game or his ability to finish with his right hand at this point in his career. Oubre needs to prove he can be a good role player before anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#987 » by J-Ves » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:02 pm

BurtGummer wrote:Oubre is a hot headed clown.He can play a little (very little) defense and everyone has this sick man crush on him
Pretty laughable

Have you SEEN his eyes?!?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
NatP4
RealGM

Post#988 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm

agreed, Oubre becoming a good 3&D role player at 15th overall is a nice win for us. Look at the draft class:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

He ups that 3pt% to about 35% and continues to improve on D(which is inevitable) he's comfortably the best wing player in that 1st round.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#989 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:29 am

80sballboy wrote:Looks good. Still needs to work on that right hand dribble and drive.

Of course he looks good! You think they'd show the shots he missed? Duh. In those 2 videos, he uses his right hand exactly once. I'd like to know why someone is working with him & forcing him to develop his right hand.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#990 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 am

NatP4 wrote:agreed, Oubre becoming a good 3&D role player at 15th overall is a nice win for us. Look at the draft class:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

He ups that 3pt% to about 35% and continues to improve on D(which is inevitable) he's comfortably the best wing player in that 1st round.

You sure he's better than Sam Dekker so far? Funny, because I would have thought the fact that Dekker scores more, has a higher TS%, gets way more rebounds, fouls less than 1/2 as often, has way more assists, & blocks more shots might mean that Dekker was the better player so far. Where have I gone wrong would you say?

Still, I do agree that if he ups his 3 pt. % from 29% to 35% that would be considered improvement. A higher % is better than a lower one, you are correct.

Now all he has to do is actually do it.

(Note that I'm high on Kelly Oubre Jr. But he hasn't actually been a good player yet)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#991 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:54 am

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:agreed, Oubre becoming a good 3&D role player at 15th overall is a nice win for us. Look at the draft class:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

You sure he's better than Sam Dekker so far? Funny, because I would have thought the fact that Dekker scores more, has a higher TS%, gets way more rebounds, fouls less than 1/2 as often, has way more assists, & blocks more shots might mean that Dekker was the better player so far. Where have I gone wrong would you say?

Still, I do agree that if he ups his 3 pt. % from 29% to 35% that would be considered improvement. A higher % is better than a lower one, you are correct.

(Note that I'm high on Kelly Oubre Jr. But he hasn't actually been a good player yet)

I agree KO hasn't been a good player yet, which is why I listed things he needs to do to become the best wing in that class. Like I also said, Oubre shot the 3 at 36% in the playoffs so don't act like he hasn't shown he can do it. It's almost like you didn't read what I posted.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#992 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:03 am

payitforward wrote:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

i agree that Dekker has been better, but he is also 1.5 years older, played 3 years of college ball, and was drafted by a great GM and played under a great offensive coach.

The age and GM facts are not a big deal, but playing 4X as many minutes in college and playing for MDA last year really skews the comp so far
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#993 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:30 am

J-Ves wrote:
BurtGummer wrote:Oubre is a hot headed clown.He can play a little (very little) defense and everyone has this sick man crush on him
Pretty laughable

Have you SEEN his eyes?!?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

And those uber dreamy cheek bones!
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#994 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 pm

payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Looks good. Still needs to work on that right hand dribble and drive.

Of course he looks good! You think they'd show the shots he missed? Duh. In those 2 videos, he uses his right hand exactly once. I'd like to know why someone is working with him & forcing him to develop his right hand.

That was my point. I said it in a nice way not to disparage the message or the messenger. Duh. :noway:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#995 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:02 pm

NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

I agree KO hasn't been a good player yet, which is why I listed things he needs to do to become the best wing in that class. Like I also said, Oubre shot the 3 at 36% in the playoffs so don't act like he hasn't shown he can do it. It's almost like you didn't read what I posted.

I didn't say he can't do it, Nat. All I said was that he hasn't done it yet. & I wasn't ignoring what you posted about him shooting 3s at 36% in the playoffs -- you hadn't mentioned that yet! :)

I liked the trade to move up & pick Oubre; one of the few good things Ernie has done in the last few years. Said it at the time & still say it now.

Oubre is still only 21. Plus he'd played very little high-level organized ball before he came into the league -- only 750 college minutes if I remember right.

What I was doing was making a little fun of your "if he improves... then he's good" riff. Gentle fun, I hope. & you have to admit it's a tendency of yours. Wasn't long ago you did a "what if" post about if McCullough has a terrific season, etc. etc. For sure, all that stuff would be good.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#996 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:05 pm

80sballboy wrote:
payitforward wrote:

That was my point. I said it in a nice way not to disparage the message or the messenger. Duh. :noway:

Ooops, in that case I missed your point. I didn't mean to disparage anyone.

Really what I was aiming at was in my last sentence: I don't understand *why* he hasn't been coached/developed in the direction of becoming more of a 2-handed player. That's on the franchise not on Kelly!
NatP4
RealGM

Post#997 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:18 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
payitforward wrote:You sure he's better than Sam Dekker so far? Funny, because I would have thought the fact that Dekker scores more, has a higher TS%, gets way more rebounds, fouls less than 1/2 as often, has way more assists, & blocks more shots might mean that Dekker was the better player so far. Where have I gone wrong would you say?

I didn't say he can't do it, Nat. All I said was that he hasn't done it yet. & I wasn't ignoring what you posted about him shooting 3s at 36% in the playoffs -- you hadn't mentioned that yet! :)

I liked the trade to move up & pick Oubre; one of the few good things Ernie has done in the last few years. Said it at the time & still say it now.

Oubre is still only 21. Plus he'd played very little high-level organized ball before he came into the league -- only 750 college minutes if I remember right.

What I was doing was making a little fun of your "if he improves... then he's good" riff. Gentle fun, I hope. & you have to admit it's a tendency of yours. Wasn't long ago you did a "what if" post about if McCullough has a terrific season, etc. etc. For sure, all that stuff would be good.

you got me on the McCullough thing.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#998 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:42 pm

:)
No worries, Nat -- it's good to be an optimist!
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#999 » by Joel Embust » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 pm

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

That's when assuming those guys mentioned do not improve at all.

That being said, I do believe he's going to be either 3rd, 2nd or the best wing player from that draft class. Stanley, Oubre and Winslow should all become big time wing players in the league. Will see soon enough, as all 3 will see some extended minutes this season. Stan could even start for Detroit, make or break year for him.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1000 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Eleqtrique wrote:

Hezonja
Johnson
Winslow
Sam Dekker
Justin Anderson
Hollis Jefferson

That's when assuming those guys mentioned do not improve at all.

That being said, I do believe he's going to be either 3rd, 2nd or the best wing player from that draft class. Stanley, Oubre and Winslow should all become big time wing players in the league. Will see soon enough, as all 3 will see some extended minutes this season. Stan could even start for Detroit, make or break year for him.

I don't follow Johnson closely enough, whats the summary on him so far? I see Winslow as a really good role player that won't ever create his shot or generate offense in the half court, Tony Allen like.

Return to Washington Wizards