ImageImageImageImageImage

Discuss Ernie Grunfeld's GM skills here (Part 2)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,889

Re: Discuss Ernie Grunfeld's GM skills here (Part 2) 

Post#1281 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:39 pm

I disagree w/ both of these posts.
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I feel like putting this on the general board. I must give Ernie Grunfeld his props. This roster is so much better than last year's it's unbelievable.

--Tim Frazier was a very good pickup

--Tomas Satoransky turns out he's a very good draft pick

--Mike Scott is an excellent pickup. Love the way he plays. Like a cross between Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison.

--Markieff Morris is a glue guy who fits this roster well. He plays with an edge.

--Jason Smith is a big body who stays involved. He's ready to play when called upon. Brings tremendous positive energy...

Frazier: I can't believe that you, CCJ, of all people would say this. Frazier has been ok for, but he is a rent-a-player -- one year -- for whom we traded a R2 pick, a guy you would have & control for a few years to find out whether he's a real asset. Now, you can make the argument that, since it was a late pick, we only gave up access to @ 1/2 dozen players, but that's not accurate: after 60 you are competing w/ others for a guy rather than owning his rights.

But, at least in this case there's an argument to be made: for the rest, absolutely not!

Satoransky -- definitely turning into a good player, but picking him was not a good decision at all. Ernie picked him instead of several players who are both better (some of them much better) & who contributed for the 4 long years during which Sato stayed in Europe. It would be one thing if those guys were some kind of dark horses, big surprises -- but we all pointed to them!! I'm talking about Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Will Barton, & Khris Middleton. Not to mention Kyle O'Quinn.

Scott -- definitely an outstanding value for a veteran minimum player. As they say... even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. But, again, a rent-a-player -- not a guy who helps build a team.

Morris -- I'm happy that Markieff has played better the last couple of weeks, but that doesn't make him a good NBA 4 -- & certainly doesn't make him worth a lottery pick!! Do you think the Bulls would trade Denzel Valentine for him straight up? No, obviously not. That's the guy we were all pointing at for our pick in that draft. But 80% of the next 20 picks would be a better asset right now (& last year for that matter) than Morris.

Smith -- Jason has had a long & very bad NBA career. His best year was with us last year, & it wasn't particularly good. He was terrible value as a FA. Dedmon, who is actually a good player, signed for about the same $, as did several other guys who were available unrestricted the way Smith was.

In fairness, you do leave out Oubre -- an actual example of genuine good work on Ernie's part.
nate33 wrote:There are only 4 players on this roster that I consider to be above-average acquisition based on the choices available at the time: Porter, Oubre, Sato and Scott. Everyone else was a no-brainer pick or an acquisition that we overpaid to acquire. That doesn't mean that they suck, it just means that it wasn't an example of great GMing. Most other GM's would have done better.

Porter -- the default pick on virtually every board. I can't see why Ernie would get any more credit for taking him than for taking Wall or Beal, who were also defaults at their spots in the draft. Pretty much every GM would have taken him at that spot.
Oubre, yes, certainly.
Scott, sure, but we're talking about a vet minimum 1-year rent-a-player.
Sato -- a good "player" is not the same as a good "pick." As I write above, with Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Will Barton & Kyle O'Quinn on the board, taking Satoransky was bad GMing not good. All the worse in that he then spent the next 4 years of his career in Europe.

I can't think of a single other move Ernie has made in the last 6-7 years that qualifies even as satisfactory -- let alone good.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,382

Post#1282 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:10 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:There are only 4 players on this roster that I consider to be above-average acquisition based on the choices available at the time: Porter, Oubre, Sato and Scott. Everyone else was a no-brainer pick or an acquisition that we overpaid to acquire. That doesn't mean that they suck, it just means that it wasn't an example of great GMing. Most other GM's would have done better.

Porter -- the default pick on virtually every board. I can't see why Ernie would get any more credit for taking him than for taking Wall or Beal, who were also defaults at their spots in the draft. Pretty much every GM would have taken him at that spot.
Oubre, yes, certainly.
Sato -- a good "player" is not the same as a good "pick." As I write above, with Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, Will Barton & Kyle O'Quinn on the board, taking Satoransky was bad GMing not good. All the worse in that he then spent the next 4 years of his career in Europe.

I can't think of a single other move Ernie has made in the last 6-7 years that qualifies even as satisfactory -- let alone good.

Regarding the Porter pick, Noel was still on the board and considered by many to be the top pick in the draft. So I'm going to give EG a little credit for skipping him and taking Porter. It's not exactly an inspired pick, but it wasn't quite the no-brainer pick that Wall and Beal were either.

We agree on Oubre.

We agree on Scott. And I agree with you that since he's only a 1-year rental, the benefits aren't THAT significant and it should do very little to upgrade one's overall evaluation of Grunfeld.

It doesn't bother me that Sato went to Europe for a while first. I consider that a good thing. It means we didn't have to pay for him during his unproductive years while he was still filling out and developing his skill set.

Regarding Sato, I think you're being a bit harsh in dismissing the pick. Yes, EG missed out on Green, Middleton and Crowder, but the other guys you mentioned, Barton and O'Quinn, didn't do much for the team that drafted him and eventually weren't even retained. Crowder was slightly better in Dallas, but they still traded him away as filler in the Rondo trade. If Sato's good play continues, and he ends up as a 25 mpg rotation guard next year, it's arguable that his 3 years in Washington would have been more valuable than what everyone in the second round of that draft did, with the exception of Green and Middleton. That's not half bad. Getting the 3rd most useful player out of 28 possibilities.

payitforward wrote:I can't think of a single other move Ernie has made in the last 6-7 years that qualifies even as satisfactory -- let alone good.

The next best move that comes to mind was dumping the final year of Jamison's contract for Cleveland's #30 pick. That was pretty nice. The Hinrich Maneuver was pretty nice too. Unfortunately, those two moves got us assets (picks) that he ultimately squandered.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,329

Post#1283 » by NatP4 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:22 pm

If we picked Draymond Green he’d probably be out of the league by now after we tried to make him into a 3&D wing
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1284 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:31 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:There are only 4 players on this roster that I consider to be above-average acquisition based on the choices available at the time...

Now I'm curious how many teams have more than 4 players and if many have less. From a quick glance teams like the Warriors, Celtics, and Rockets have at least 5. I'm not sure if I can say the same about the Hornets, Cavs, Pistons, and Pacers. Then there are teams like the Lakers which have at least 5 but have seriously missed on some of their lottery picks.

BTW, this may the first time in a while that EG has had 4 such players at the same time.

It's not just how many players you have, it's how many you have compared to how many opportunities you have had to get players. I doubt any team has had the draft resources we have had in the Wall era.

In the Wall era, in addition to the one overall #1 pick & two overall #3 picks which we used to take the default guys available at those spots (Wall, Beal, Porter), we have had 17 picks:

a #6 pick, a #13 pick, a #17 pick, a #18 pick, two #19 picks, a #22 pick, a #23 pick, a #32 pick, a #34 pick, a #38 pick, a #43 pick, a #46 pick, two #49 picks & a 2 #54 picks.

Two of those were lottery picks. Six others were R1 picks. Three of them were high R2 picks. The other six were lower in R2. We've also already lost two future R2 picks.

That's nineteen draft picks. Two of them went for Oubre, which was fine. One went for Gortat, a trade we were forced to make by bad GM-ing.

From the other sixteen picks (of which two were lottery picks, another five were R1 picks, & three more were very high R2 picks) we have wound up with Satoransky, Morris, & Frazier.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Post#1285 » by Kanyewest » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:33 pm

nate33 wrote:Regarding Sato, I think you're being a bit harsh in dismissing the pick. Yes, EG missed out on Green, Middleton and Crowder, but the other guys you mentioned, Barton and O'Quinn, didn't do much for the team that drafted him and eventually weren't even retained. Crowder was slightly better in Dallas, but they still traded him away as filler in the Rondo trade. If Sato's good play continues, and he ends up as a 25 mpg rotation guard next year, it's arguable that his 3 years in Washington would have been more valuable than what everyone in the second round of that draft did, with the exception of Green and Middleton. That's not half bad. Getting the 3rd most useful player out of 28 possibilities.

And you can argue that the Mavs drafted well but immediately ruined it by trading Crowder and a first round pick for Rondo.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1286 » by nuposse04 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:38 pm

I don't know what you are going off of PIF, but Valentine isn't exactly starter material out there. Not saying Morris is, Morris is rotation worthy, I'm not sure Valentine is.

But Grunfeld sucks, no way to really hide that fact. Summer of 2016 was hideous.

Hell the Okariza trade was and still is stupid. Retaining Wittman was stupid once flip left. From talent acquisition to talent development we have really **** over a lot of potential.

#FireGrunfeld
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1287 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:41 pm

nuposse04 wrote:I don't know what you are going off of PIF, but Valentine isn't exactly starter material out there. Not saying Morris is, Morris is rotation worthy, I'm not sure Valentine is.

But Grunfeld sucks, no way to really hide that fact. Summer of 2016 was hideous.

Hell the Okariza trade was and still is stupid. Retaining Wittman was stupid once flip left. From talent acquisition to talent development we have really **** over a lot of potential.

#FireGrunfeld

I was very much against the Okariza trade at first, but given how well Ariza played with the Wizards, it turned out to be half decent.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1288 » by nuposse04 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:44 pm

nate33 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:I don't know what you are going off of PIF, but Valentine isn't exactly starter material out there. Not saying Morris is, Morris is rotation worthy, I'm not sure Valentine is.

#FireGrunfeld

I was very much against the Okariza trade at first, but given how well Ariza played with the Wizards, it turned out to be half decent.

Ariza playing very well is undeniable, problem I have with the trade is that it didn't afford any sustainable growth we could retain. It was a lazy way to develop a culture and lazy GMin. Grunfeld never manages in a proactive form, everything is reactive. The man's contingency plans suck some serious ass.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1289 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 5, 2018 11:23 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

#FireGrunfeld

Ariza playing very well is undeniable, problem I have with the trade is that it didn't afford any sustainable growth we could retain. It was a lazy way to develop a culture and lazy GMin. Grunfeld never manages in a proactive form, everything is reactive. The man's contingency plans suck some serious ass.

I agree with all of this.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1290 » by Kanyewest » Mon Feb 5, 2018 11:31 pm

payitforward wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:There are only 4 players on this roster that I consider to be above-average acquisition based on the choices available at the time...

Now I'm curious how many teams have more than 4 players and if many have less. From a quick glance teams like the Warriors, Celtics, and Rockets have at least 5. I'm not sure if I can say the same about the Hornets, Cavs, Pistons, and Pacers. Then there are teams like the Lakers which have at least 5 but have seriously missed on some of their lottery picks.

BTW, this may the first time in a while that EG has had 4 such players at the same time.

It's not just how many players you have, it's how many you have compared to how many opportunities you have had to get players. I doubt any team has had the draft resources we have had in the Wall era.

In the Wall era, in addition to the one overall #1 pick & two overall #3 picks which we used to take the default guys available at those spots (Wall, Beal, Porter), we have had 17 picks:

a #6 pick, a #13 pick, a #17 pick, a #18 pick, two #19 picks, a #22 pick, a #23 pick, a #32 pick, a #34 pick, a #38 pick, a #43 pick, a #46 pick, two #49 picks & a 2 #54 picks.

Two of those were lottery picks. Six others were R1 picks. Three of them were high R2 picks. The other six were lower in R2. We've also already lost two future R2 picks.

That's nineteen draft picks. Two of them went for Oubre, which was fine. One went for Gortat, a trade we were forced to make by bad GM-ing.

From the other sixteen picks (of which two were lottery picks, another five were R1 picks, & three more were very high R2 picks) we have wound up with Satoransky, Morris, & Frazier.

Considering teams have had firesales like Washington (Seattle/OKC after Ray Allen, Orlando after Dwight Howard, Brooklyn after Jason Kidd, Cleveland after LeBron left the first time, Minnesota when Kahn was point guard crazy, Philadelphia with the process, Boston after the big 3, Sacramento after trading Boogie), I'm not sure that is unprecedented for teams to have that many picks. I'm also curious to how EG's hit rate compares to other GMs. I'll guarantee though that he isn't one of the best.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1291 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 5, 2018 11:49 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:There are only 4 players on this roster that I consider to be above-average acquisition based on the choices available at the time: Porter, Oubre, Sato and Scott. ...

Now I'm curious how many teams have more than 4 players and if many have less....

You can't do a simple count to understand this point!

Guys who were drafted have been traded to bring in other assets. Or, for that matter, the picks themselves may have been traded intelligently.

IOW, those rosters may not include more than 4 guys picked in that time period, yet reflect much better use of the picks. You'd have to go through the team histories & trace those picks & what became of them.

In our case, for example, Ernie made a perfectly good pick in Trevor Booker -- & in fact he traded up to get him, so that in fact he used two picks! -- then he let the guy walk for no return. Meanwhile, Booker is in the middle of an really good NBA career.

In fact, he was just traded for value in return -- whereas we let him walk for no value in return.

Just a single example. Shelvin Mack is another example; he's a journeyman, but he's worth something. Ernie, however, waived him! Picked him w/ Chandler Parsons, Jon Leuer, Davis Bertans, Lavoy Allen, E'twaun Moore, DeAndre Liggins & Isaiah Thomas still on the board, all guys who've had long NBA careers by now

& then waived him. "We don't have the time to develop him," said Ernie at the time. (After all, we were getting ready to sign Eric Maynor as our backup PG instead!)
GhostofChenier
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#1292 » by GhostofChenier » Mon Feb 5, 2018 11:55 pm

Satoranski good pick!!!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,542

Post#1293 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:28 am

The Washington Wizards have been interested in pursuing a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers for DeAndre Jordan but have been unable to gain any traction.

Jordan is a probable free agent this offseason.

The Wizards could build a package for Jordan centered upon Marcin Gortat, Kelly Ombre and a first round pick.

Good Lord, typical Ernie move. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen if LA can't get a better offer, this is a damn good offer for a rebuilding team.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1294 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:47 am

nuposse04 wrote:I don't know what you are going off of PIF, but Valentine isn't exactly starter material out there. Not saying Morris is, Morris is rotation worthy, I'm not sure Valentine is. ...

Don't know why you'd say that about Valentine, who is playing extremely well & averaging almost 30 minutes a game. He & Oubre are having about equally productive seasons. Kelly scores a little more; Valentine does some other things a little better than Oubre.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1295 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:59 am

nuposse04 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:...the Okariza trade was and still is stupid....

Ariza playing very well is undeniable, problem I have with the trade is that it didn't afford any sustainable growth we could retain. ...

I would have been happy to trade for Ariza in a sensible deal; he was & is a very good player. But that's not what we did. We traded for both of them, despite Okafor's injury history.

& what we traded was an asset that could have been put to much better use. Instead, we got 2000 minutes of Okafor, & after 2 seasons we simply let Ariza walk. None of that built the team in any way.

The Okariza trade was typical of the low-grade GMing Ernie does. An asset that could have been used to enhance this generation of the team was mis-used instead. & soon thereafter what it got you leaves & gets you nothing further.

In business we used to call what Ernie does "p#ssing in your own soup."
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1296 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:00 am

GhostofChenier wrote:Satoranski good pick!!!

No. Satoransky good player. Satoransky bad draft pick.
edit: failing to think through the difference between these two makes it really hard to analyze what a GM does.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1297 » by payitforward » Tue Feb 6, 2018 3:04 am

closg00 wrote:
The Washington Wizards have been interested in pursuing a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers for DeAndre Jordan but have been unable to gain any traction.

Jordan is a probable free agent this offseason.

The Wizards could build a package for Jordan centered upon Marcin Gortat, Kelly Ombre and a first round pick.

Good Lord, typical Ernie move. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen if LA can't get a better offer, this is a damn good offer for a rebuilding team.

Yep, that would be a terrific deal for the Clippers & a horrible deal for us.

I have to say that I don't think even Ernie is foolish enough to make this move. Especially b/c it would be completely impossible for us to keep Jordan.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1298 » by Kanyewest » Tue Feb 6, 2018 5:41 am

payitforward wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
nate33 wrote:There are only 4 players on this roster that I consider to be above-average acquisition based on the choices available at the time: Porter, Oubre, Sato and Scott. ...

Now I'm curious how many teams have more than 4 players and if many have less....

You can't do a simple count to understand this point!

Guys who were drafted have been traded to bring in other assets. Or, for that matter, the picks themselves may have been traded intelligently.

IOW, those rosters may not include more than 4 guys picked in that time period, yet reflect much better use of the picks. You'd have to go through the team histories & trace those picks & what became of them.

In our case, for example, Ernie made a perfectly good pick in Trevor Booker -- & in fact he traded up to get him, so that in fact he used two picks! -- then he let the guy walk for no return. Meanwhile, Booker is in the middle of an really good NBA career.

In fact, he was just traded for value in return -- whereas we let him walk for no value in return.

Just a single example. Shelvin Mack is another example; he's a journeyman, but he's worth something. Ernie, however, waived him! Picked him w/ Chandler Parsons, Jon Leuer, Davis Bertans, Lavoy Allen, E'twaun Moore, DeAndre Liggins & Isaiah Thomas still on the board, all guys who've had long NBA careers by now

& then waived him. "We don't have the time to develop him," said Ernie at the time. (After all, we were getting ready to sign Eric Maynor as our backup PG instead!)

Now do a 1-29 on all the guys that other teams missed. Should be fun. You can skip Golden State, Houston, Boston, Toronto, and San Antonio.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,014

Post#1299 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 6, 2018 6:58 am

payitforward wrote:I disagree w/ both of these posts.
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I feel like putting this on the general board. I must give Ernie Grunfeld his props. This roster is so much better than last year's it's unbelievable.

--Tim Frazier was a very good pickup

--Tomas Satoransky turns out he's a very good draft pick

--Mike Scott is an excellent pickup. Love the way he plays. Like a cross between Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison.

--Markieff Morris is a glue guy who fits this roster well. He plays with an edge.

--Jason Smith is a big body who stays involved. He's ready to play when called upon. Brings tremendous positive energy...

Frazier: I can't believe that you, CCJ, of all people would say this. Frazier has been ok for, but he is a rent-a-player -- one year -- for whom we traded a R2 pick, a guy you would have & control for a few years to find out whether he's a real asset. Now, you can make the argument that, since it was a late pick, we only gave up access to @ 1/2 dozen players, but that's not accurate: after 60 you are competing w/ others for a guy rather than owning his rights.

But, at least in this case there's an argument to be made: for the rest, absolutely not!

Satoransky -- definitely turning into a good player, but picking him was not a good decision at all. Ernie picked him instead of several players who are both better (some of them much better) & who contributed for the 4 long years during which Sato stayed in Europe. It would be one thing if those guys were some kind of dark horses, big surprises -- but we all pointed to them!! I'm talking about Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Will Barton, & Khris Middleton. Not to mention Kyle O'Quinn.

Scott -- definitely an outstanding value for a veteran minimum player. As they say... even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. But, again, a rent-a-player -- not a guy who helps build a team.

Morris -- I'm happy that Markieff has played better the last couple of weeks, but that doesn't make him a good NBA 4 -- & certainly doesn't make him worth a lottery pick!! Do you think the Bulls would trade Denzel Valentine for him straight up? No, obviously not. That's the guy we were all pointing at for our pick in that draft. But 80% of the next 20 picks would be a better asset right now (& last year for that matter) than Morris.

Smith -- Jason has had a long & very bad NBA career. His best year was with us last year, & it wasn't particularly good. He was terrible value as a FA. Dedmon, who is actually a good player, signed for about the same $, as did several other guys who were available unrestricted the way Smith was.

In fairness, you do leave out Oubre -- an actual example of genuine good work on Ernie's part.

Oubre, yes, certainly.

payitforward: Busy as all hell right now...(Monday night HST)..... will get back to you on this ...
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1300 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:49 pm

PIF, I'm anything but an EG fan, but at this point - criticising the Sato pick isn't helping your case. As far as the wait to get him, that meant that we didn't have to suffer through and pay for his developmental years. Yes, there were other better players available, but that's not a good enough criteria to call him a bad pick. He wasn't the best pick they could have made at that point, but he was a good pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards