ImageImageImageImageImage

Discuss Ernie Grunfeld's GM skills here (Part 2)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Discuss Ernie Grunfeld's GM skills here (Part 2) 

Post#1501 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:28 pm

closg00 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Oof!!!! Just noticing this, Ernie trades-away as-many of those 2nd rounders as possible so he doesn’t have to manage assets or “save money”

HOW ON EARTH is Wes Unseld being called a worse Executive. KEVIN BROOM, I hope you're lurking. Man, I gotta disagree, vehemently on this one.

Ernie Grunfeld does like the GOLD STANDARD of what not to do as far as I'm concerned...
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1502 » by pancakes3 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 11:33 pm

i don't want to badmouth EG too much bc he did bring Arenas on board, and did draft Beal, but that doesn't mean he gets to keep his job.
Bullets -> Wizards
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1503 » by payitforward » Wed Dec 5, 2018 2:36 am

Signing Arenas as a FA was a genuine "good move." Drafting Beal was just making the default pick. Go back & take a look how many #1 picks have been bad & how many #3 picks have been bad over the last 20 years.

What use did Ernie make of all picks not #1 or #3 over the last 10 drafts?

2009 #5 -- traded for 2 rent-a-players (passing on Steph Curry). Nothing out of asset.
2009 # 35 -- sold for a little cash. Nothing out of asset.
2010 #17 -- Kevin Seraphin. Did not work out & was not traded. I.e. got nothing out of the asset.
2010 #23 -- Trevor Booker. Booker played well for us but wasn't given his qualifying offer. Again, got nothing out of the asset.
2011 # 6 -- Vesely (w/ Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, etc. on the board). Nothing out of asset.
201 # 18 -- Singleton (w/ Jimmy Butler, Faried, Tobias Harris, Cory Joseph, Mirotic, etc. on the board). Waived after 2 seasons. Nothing out of asset.
2011 #34 -- Shelvin Mack (waived for no return, but he isin his 8th year in the league; a solid journeyman. Nothing out of asset)
2012 #32 -- Tomas Satoransky (w/ Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, & Will Barton going shortly thereafter. Sato played the following 4 seasons in Europe. Minimal return on asset.)
2012 #46 -- Thrown into Okariza trade & wasted. I wanted Kyle O'Quinn with that pick. Nothing out of asset.)
2013 #38 -- Traded to pick Glen Rice. Nothing out of asset.
2013 #54 -- Traded to pick Glen Rice. Nothing out of asset.
2014 #18 -- Traded for expiring salary of Marcin Gortat. Overpay -- but at least something!
2014 #46 -- Sold for cash Nothing out of asset.
2015 #19 -- Traded to select Kelly Oubre @ #15
2015 #49 -- Aaron White. Nothing out of the asset.
2016 #14 -- (lottery pick!) Traded for Markieff Morris, whom the Suns had tried unsuccessfully to trade for just about anything the entire season. Wasted asset.
2016 #44 -- in Kelly Oubre trade
2017 #22 -- Thrown away in trade to Nets in order to dump Nicholson. Nets took Jarret Allen, a stud C prospect. Nothing from asset.
2017 #52 -- Traded to NO for Tim Frazier (who is now back playing in NO), 800 minute rent a player. Virtually nothing out of asset.
2018 #15 -- Troy Brown Jr.
2018 #45 -- Issuf Sanon (Very likely nothing out of the asset)

We also owe our R2 pick in 2019 to Denver or Charlotte as a result of the trade up for Oubre.
We also owe a R2 pick in 2020 to Milwaukee (Jared Dudley), but it's top-55 protected
We also owe our R2 pick in 2021 to Utah (trade for Trey Burke)

There is the complete list of draft moves by Ernie Grunfeld over a ten-year period, leaving out the #1 pick he lucked into via the ping pong balls in '10, the #3 pick in '12, & the #3 pick he lucked into via the ping balls in '13.

There are 25 picks in the list above. From these 25 picks, what do we have that is meaningful? We have Tomas Satoransky, Kelly Oubre, & Tony Brown.

I'd like to ask: how much less could a GM have gotten out of 25 picks? I cannot imagine there's a single GM in the league who can compete with this list for utter & pathetic failure. How does Ernie have a job?

(For completeness: Atlanta owes us a R2 pick next year, top 55 protected. Even if it should convey, I don't think it really will, as this was part of a favor Atlanta did for Ernie by taking Sheldon Mac off his hands -- we gave them $$ to pay the remainder of his salary, of course.)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1504 » by Eli Babak » Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:22 am

payitforward wrote:We also owe a R2 pick in 2020 to Milwaukee (Jared Dudley), but it's top-55 protected

That protection actually changed due to Meeks trade and they'll eventually get a pick from us.

Good list. Then let's talk about his great FA signings like Eric Maynor and Ty Lawson (just for playoffs)... :nonono:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1505 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 4:19 pm

The 2016 1st Round pick for Morris is one of Ernie’s most underrated bad moves, one of his worst over-pats.
RealGM

Post#1506 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:47 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
closg00 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Oof!!!! Just noticing this, Ernie trades-away as-many of those 2nd rounders as possible so he doesn’t have to manage assets or “save money”

HOW ON EARTH is Wes Unseld being called a worse Executive. KEVIN BROOM, I hope you're lurking. Man, I gotta disagree, vehemently on this one.

Ernie Grunfeld does like the GOLD STANDARD of what not to do as far as I'm concerned...

THE REAL ME ... @CCJKEN1 (that chunky, brotha, who's been called a lot of things ...I like swim bro)

My name is Ken Holmes

I met Kevin Broom in person the first time at least a dozen years ago. I was living in the Fort Benning, GA, vicinity. I believe Kevin was working nearby in ATL. We met for lunch and had a nice chat. I believe he gave me a poster/autograph...NO, other way around.

Last and most recently; when my Dad died and was buried at Arlington, Kevin was nice enough to extend his friendship in person.

IVE SECRETLY BEEN A BIT not envious, nor jealous, nor awestruck...CANNOT FIND THE WORDS...

What I believe is I AM BY FAR THE BEST at some things; but, that guy is THE smartest on a whole lot of things. Still, like nate, and docklinkin, and Ruzious, and barelyawake, and Dat2U, and SevernHoos, and THE GREAT montestewart... and dobrojim the music/running man; YOU GUYS ARE ALSO THE BEST at being you.

So, JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE MY "HATING ON" a brotha wasn't misuinderstood. :)]
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1507 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:48 am

BEN BECKER/fishercob SHALOM and ALOHA my friend wherever you are. Same with Pineapplehead/Lyle. MUCH LOVE and HAPPY HOLIDAYS (Mele Kalikimaka)
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1508 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:48 am

pancakes3 wrote:i don't want to badmouth EG too much bc he did bring Arenas on board, and did draft Beal, but that doesn't mean he gets to keep his job.

NOT if I were the owner.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1509 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:51 am

payitforward wrote:Signing Arenas as a FA was a genuine "good move." Drafting Beal was just making the default pick. Go back & take a look how many #1 picks have been bad & how many #3 picks have been bad over the last 20 years.

What use did Ernie make of all picks not #1 or #3 over the last 10 drafts?

2009 #5 -- traded for 2 rent-a-players (passing on Steph Curry). Nothing out of asset.
2009 # 35 -- sold for a little cash. Nothing out of asset.
2010 #17 -- Kevin Seraphin. Did not work out & was not traded. I.e. got nothing out of the asset.
2010 #23 -- Trevor Booker. Booker played well for us but wasn't given his qualifying offer. Again, got nothing out of the asset.
2011 # 6 -- Vesely (w/ Kawhi Leonard, Klay Thompson, etc. on the board). Nothing out of asset.
201 # 18 -- Singleton (w/ Jimmy Butler, Faried, Tobias Harris, Cory Joseph, Mirotic, etc. on the board). Waived after 2 seasons. Nothing out of asset.
2011 #34 -- Shelvin Mack (waived for no return, but he isin his 8th year in the league; a solid journeyman. Nothing out of asset)
2012 #32 -- Tomas Satoransky (w/ Draymond Green, Jae Crowder, Khris Middleton, & Will Barton going shortly thereafter. Sato played the following 4 seasons in Europe. Minimal return on asset.)
2012 #46 -- Thrown into Okariza trade & wasted. I wanted Kyle O'Quinn with that pick. Nothing out of asset.)
2013 #38 -- Traded to pick Glen Rice. Nothing out of asset.
2013 #54 -- Traded to pick Glen Rice. Nothing out of asset.
2014 #18 -- Traded for expiring salary of Marcin Gortat. Overpay -- but at least something!
2014 #46 -- Sold for cash Nothing out of asset.
2015 #19 -- Traded to select Kelly Oubre @ #15
2015 #49 -- Aaron White. Nothing out of the asset.
2016 #14 -- (lottery pick!) Traded for Markieff Morris, whom the Suns had tried unsuccessfully to trade for just about anything the entire season. Wasted asset.
2016 #44 -- in Kelly Oubre trade
2017 #22 -- Thrown away in trade to Nets in order to dump Nicholson. Nets took Jarret Allen, a stud C prospect. Nothing from asset.
2017 #52 -- Traded to NO for Tim Frazier (who is now back playing in NO), 800 minute rent a player. Virtually nothing out of asset.
2018 #15 -- Troy Brown Jr.
2018 #45 -- Issuf Sanon (Very likely nothing out of the asset)

We also owe our R2 pick in 2019 to Denver or Charlotte as a result of the trade up for Oubre.
We also owe a R2 pick in 2020 to Milwaukee (Jared Dudley), but it's top-55 protected
We also owe our R2 pick in 2021 to Utah (trade for Trey Burke)

There is the complete list of draft moves by Ernie Grunfeld over a ten-year period, leaving out the #1 pick he lucked into via the ping pong balls in '10, the #3 pick in '12, & the #3 pick he lucked into via the ping balls in '13.

There are 25 picks in the list above. From these 25 picks, what do we have that is meaningful? We have Tomas Satoransky, Kelly Oubre, & Tony Brown.

I'd like to ask: how much less could a GM have gotten out of 25 picks? I cannot imagine there's a single GM in the league who can compete with this list for utter & pathetic failure. How does Ernie have a job?

(For completeness: Atlanta owes us a R2 pick next year, top 55 protected. Even if it should convey, I don't think it really will, as this was part of a favor Atlanta did for Ernie by taking Sheldon Mac off his hands -- we gave them $$ to pay the remainder of his salary, of course.)

:bowdown:

NOTHING OUT OF ASSET

lots of times SOMETHING out of @$$ if you asked me. Just random, knee-jerk, conservative moves done before surveying various OPTIONS/CHOICES and reaching consensus.

Throw a dart at a dart board and just do SOMETHING type stuff AS FAR AS I WITH MY VERY UNINFORMED but strong, condemnatory opinions ATM feels. I do NOT know. I DO have an OPINION.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1510 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:54 am

DEAR EG,

FUNNY HOW GOOD THE WIZARDS ARE when all the other assets you've acquired get to DO THEIR BEST (including Scott Brooks). They look pretty GOOD at 11-14; considering they WERE 2-9 before some folks got put on blast.

THIS IS a capable roster.
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1511 » by queridiculo » Thu Dec 6, 2018 9:25 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:DEAR EG,

FUNNY HOW GOOD THE WIZARDS ARE when all the other assets you've acquired get to DO THEIR BEST (including Scott Brooks). They look pretty GOOD at 11-14; considering they WERE 2-9 before some folks got put on blast.

Eh, EG yet again **** the bed in the offseason with his decisions.

The Rivers trade and to a degree the Howard signing. Isn't it so typical for his tenure that the Wizards probably would have been better off if they had just stayed pat?

Satoransky had proven that he could be the perfect complement to Wall and Beal, a bit of continuity here and showing Sato that he's earned the trust of the organization would have gone a long way.
RealGM

Post#1512 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Dec 7, 2018 9:15 am

queridiculo wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:DEAR EG,

Eh, EG yet again **** the bed in the offseason with his decisions.

The Rivers trade and to a degree the Howard signing. Isn't it so typical for his tenure that the Wizards probably would have been better off if they had just stayed pat?

Satoransky had proven that he could be the perfect complement to Wall and Beal, a bit of continuity here and showing Sato that he's earned the trust of the organization would have gone a long way.
He doesn't know how to simply hold "em. Agreed.

Howard MIGHT pay off.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1513 » by pancakes3 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:02 am

where is our Greta Rogers?

https://streamable.com/lzf3j
Bullets -> Wizards
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1514 » by BigA » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:49 am

closg00 wrote:The 2016 1st Round pick for Morris is one of Ernie’s most underrated bad moves, one of his worst over-pats.

When Ernie attaches the 2019 1st to Keef in order to dump him, we can watch the saga come full circle.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1515 » by FAH1223 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#1516 » by BigA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:46 am

With the botched 3-way trade with Phoenix and Memphis, Ernie goes from trolling the Wiz fanbase to trolling the entire league.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1517 » by bondom34 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:15 am

This was the best NBA story I can remember

Good luck guys, its a look maybe Leonsis won't like enough to do something

Edit: Looks like MEM may be in the wrong...
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1518 » by Eli Babak » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:02 pm

He's been here since June 30, 2003. Unbelievable. My employment contract ends soon and I have studied business stuff (& played a lot of NBA 2K), hire me!
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#1519 » by daSwami » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Last night's trade debacle put EG's incompetence on public display. (Two of our regular rotation guys now have no reason whatsoever to feel loyal to this team and city.) For years we've speculated on why we've had one of the worst lockeroom cultures in the league. EG is the problem. If Ted can't see that now he's willfully blind and doesn't deserve my money. PS - The Caps can suck it too. I'm out.
:banghead:
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#1520 » by truwizfan4evr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:10 pm

i have a question for everyone what was Ernie worst move as a wizards gm?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal

Return to Washington Wizards