Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1001 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Bradley Beal Trade Rumors: 'Growing Belief' Wizards Star Will Leave Washington

The Washington Wizards can offer a three-year, $111 million extension to shooting guard Bradley Beal on July 26, per Candace Buckner of the Washington Post, but the move is "not viewed as a done deal."

"The team has indicated it plans to give Beal the offer, and both the player's camp and the franchise have remained in contact throughout the summer," Buckner wrote. "Around the league, however, the extension is not viewed as a done deal, and there is a growing belief that Beal will not remain in Washington for his entire career."

Buckner also quoted a "well-placed NBA source," who said "[Beal's] out of there." The 26-year-old has two years and $55.8 million left on his current deal, per HoopsHype.

The good news is that Beal is on the record saying that he's "definitely" open to an extension, per Ben Golliver of the Washington Post. And interim president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard told Ben Standig of The Athletic that he has no intention of moving the 26-year-old.
Bleacher Report
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1002 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

The Washington Wizards can offer a three-year, $111 million extension to shooting guard Bradley Beal on July 26, per Candace Buckner of the Washington Post, but the move is "not viewed as a done deal."

"The team has indicated it plans to give Beal the offer, and both the player's camp and the franchise have remained in contact throughout the summer," Buckner wrote. "Around the league, however, the extension is not viewed as a done deal, and there is a growing belief that Beal will not remain in Washington for his entire career."

Buckner also quoted a "well-placed NBA source," who said "[Beal's] out of there." The 26-year-old has two years and $55.8 million left on his current deal, per HoopsHype.

The good news is that Beal is on the record saying that he's "definitely" open to an extension, per Ben Golliver of the Washington Post. And interim president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard told Ben Standig of The Athletic that he has no intention of moving the 26-year-old.
Bleacher Report

Wow, what an incredibly illuminating piece by the Post.

“He’s out of there,” one well-placed person within the NBA predicted.
"Whether or not [Beal] stays there, I really couldn’t tell you,” another Eastern Conference senior executive said, “but I know that there’s a lot of teams out there that would love him.”
“If he doesn’t accept [the extension],” a rival general manager said, “it will be a big blow to Washington.”

So, all of this leads to a sensationalize headlined that's not attributable to the Post titled "Bradley Beal Trade Rumors: 'Growing Belief' Wizards Star Will Leave Washington".

Will you stop with your baiting already?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1003 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
From Washington vice president of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard:

"Not at all," Sheppard told The Athletic in regard to trading Beal. "It's never crossed our mind. Bradley is somebody we're building around. He's been involved with everything we're doing in the draft, free agency. We need his opinion. We want this team to be a reflection of what he is all about."
Bleacher Report

That's essentially what the Bucks said about Giannis before last season. Seemed to help.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1004 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:07 pm

I apologize; it's not meant to be baiting. My favorite team lost three of their best players for nothing in Free Agency. (Josh Smith, Al Horford, Paul Millsap)

They traded their best player (Joe Johnson) away for pennies on the dollar after signing him to one of the worst contracts of that era.

I wouldn't wish either of those scenarios on any fanbase.

Who will be the next star on the move?

This summer alone, six of the 15 players named to an All-NBA team for the 2018-19 season changed teams. More movement is inevitable. Who’s next?

John Wall or Bradley Beal, Wizards: League sources say that Beal isn’t currently available, though that could change by the deadline.
The Ringer
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1005 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm

prime1time wrote:Watching the NBA finals, show' the next step for Beals offensive game. The ability to draw ft's. It's an art. Beal adds that to his game, no reason why he can't be a 28-30 ppg scorer next year.

Brad has become an official "star". That "entitles" him to 2 50/50 calls per game that non-stars don't get. That alone is gonna give him at least 2 more points per game - usable in crunch-time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1006 » by DCZards » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Bleacher Report

That's probably the same "well-placed NBA source" who swore that Kawhi was going to resign with Toronto.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1007 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I think it's the different of about 9-10 mill a year and then if he signs this it tacks on three years to the two he has, and if he gets the super and signs next summer it's an extra year.
payitforward wrote:How about a financial analysis? If Beal signs an extension this year, how much extra does he earn over his current contract.

If he turns down the extension, bets on his qualifying for a supermax, & does qualify -- when would that kick in & how much would it earn him over what he'd earn via the extension on the table now?

The financial risk/reward scenarios surely must have major impact on any decisons he makes.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1008 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Most playoff-type teams with any cap room want Beal so the Post had to have Candace write something on a slow July day, even if he's not "available" at the moment. Just because he says one thing now, doesn't mean he'll never be traded in the future. Of course, it would be tough to sign an extension and be confident in the direction of a franchise that still hasn't hired a permanent GM.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1009 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm

DCZards wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Bleacher Report

That's probably the same "well-placed NBA source" who swore that Kawhi was going to resign with Toronto.

It was an anonymous source named “Rat Piley” :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1010 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Regardless of whether you agree with the decision, you have to respect the team's willingness to ride or die with Beal through the very end of his prime.

Read on Twitter
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1011 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Regardless of whether you agree with the decision, you have to respect the team's willingness to ride or die with Beal through the very end of his prime.

Read on Twitter

Ultimately, they are just playing to be competitive and unless they get lucky in the draft, it will be tough to go far with Beal, Wall and company. But, while I disagree with the way they've treated their broadcast team, I think it's good PR to offer Beal as much as they can. He's a good guy, bordering on a great player and while I don't think he'll re-sign, you might as well try to offer him the max. If he takes it, great. If not, you have to start finding out what you can get for him in a deal. There's no rush though.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1012 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1013 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:57 pm

If you're Beal, do you:

1. Sign the 3 year extension, this puts him at 10 years of service by the end of this contract which means he gets the 35% of the cap salary.

2. Wait a year to see if you make All-NBA which he probably won't b/c the team will stink and the guy that beat him out will have a more national backing now that he's with Boston (Kemba). If that's the case, do you sign the 4 year extension next year, which is really 5 years , and puts you in free agency 1 year later.

Think it makes sense to go with Option A, but we'll see what he does.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#1014 » by Shoe » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:2. Wait a year to see if you make All-NBA which he probably won't b/c the team will stink and the guy that beat him out will have a more national backing now that he's with Boston (Kemba).

Good point
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1015 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Rafael122 wrote:If you're Beal, do you:

1. Sign the 3 year extension, this puts him at 10 years of service by the end of this contract which means he gets the 35% of the cap salary.

2. Wait a year to see if you make All-NBA which he probably won't b/c the team will stink and the guy that beat him out will have a more national backing now that he's with Boston (Kemba). If that's the case, do you sign the 4 year extension next year, which is really 5 years , and puts you in free agency 1 year later.

I think Brand Bradley Beal goes for Option 1 only if the Wiz give him a guarantee that he'll be traded to a team that he approves of.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1016 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm

If I was in his shoes, I go Option A and take the money right now. If need be, force my way out when the time is right.

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Bummer. Really wanted him on Team USA in a competitive tournament for once but of course family > sport all day. Maybe 2020 Olympics in Japan?
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1017 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:04 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Regardless of whether you agree with the decision, you have to respect the team's willingness to ride or die with Beal through the very end of his prime.

Read on Twitter

Ultimately, they are just playing to be competitive and unless they get lucky in the draft, it will be tough to go far with Beal, Wall and company. But, while I disagree with the way they've treated their broadcast team, I think it's good PR to offer Beal as much as they can. He's a good guy, bordering on a great player and while I don't think he'll re-sign, you might as well try to offer him the max. If he takes it, great. If not, you have to start finding out what you can get for him in a deal. There's no rush though.

I disagree. Keeping Beal is the quickest way to building a contender. The other option is to rebuild and start over with no strong veteran presence to help the younger guys. How good can Beal be? This is a two star league. If you think Beal can be a star, then you keep him and figure out a way to get another. It really is that simple.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1018 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:39 pm

prime1time wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Ultimately, they are just playing to be competitive and unless they get lucky in the draft, it will be tough to go far with Beal, Wall and company. But, while I disagree with the way they've treated their broadcast team, I think it's good PR to offer Beal as much as they can. He's a good guy, bordering on a great player and while I don't think he'll re-sign, you might as well try to offer him the max. If he takes it, great. If not, you have to start finding out what you can get for him in a deal. There's no rush though.

I disagree. Keeping Beal is the quickest way to building a contender. The other option is to rebuild and start over with no strong veteran presence to help the younger guys. How good can Beal be? This is a two star league. If you think Beal can be a star, then you keep him and figure out a way to get another. It really is that simple.

I HAVE TO SAY, I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE, P1T.

Primarily because your team has had two stars for years now and has never made it past the 2nd round.

Because of mediocre coaching, poor personnel decisions, bad salary cap management, inept drafting -- your squad has had elite players but not elite results.

And with limited cap space for the forseeable future, a reset seems inevitable for the franchise to get past its current state.

Just having elite players isn't enough. Stock up on young talent and future draft picks, clear cap space and rebuild the right way.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1019 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 pm

All-NBA is no guarantee . A lot of voters will disqualify him simply on the basis of the Wiz not being an elite team.

If I was Beal the path forward is pretty clear - sign the 3yr/$111M extension BUT with a player option on the final year in 2023-24.

That way he locks in guaranteed max money now , and also prevents trade rumors distractions from hanging over his name constantly . And he also maintains leverage because by 2021 he can start threatening to take his 2023 opt-out, thus applying pressure on the organization to either make moves or trade him
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1020 » by queridiculo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm

Don't like the idea of being so forward with the offer at this point, Beal would be a fool if he didn't wait out the season to see if he can qualify for a supermax.

Return to Washington Wizards