Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1861 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:39 am

doclinkin wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Beal is in the health and safety protocol again...wow

Welp. So much for antibodies preventing re-infection. Not a good thing at all.

He’s gotten vaccinated since the start of the season though

And his December stint on health and safety was due to contact tracing not testing positive.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1862 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:04 am

Who’s going to say and they won again without him?
Bye bye Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1863 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:34 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Who’s going to say and they won again without him?

They struggled to beat a bad OKC team. That's not something to write home about.
RealGM

Post#1864 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:28 pm

DCZards wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Who’s going to say and they won again without him?

They struggled to beat a bad OKC team. That's not something to write home about.
It might be pure coincidence and just the opponents but they are

5-2 without
16-18 with

BB
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1865 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:52 am

Read on Twitter

What’s your opinion about how Bradley and Spencer have played together? By the numbers, their two-man lineup is a net minus-7.2 per 100 possessions. (Through Jan. 11’s game against Oklahoma City, it’s now minus-5.5.)

I’m not as concerned. How many games have they really been on the court together? It’s not as many as we would have liked. I think Bradley is an All-Star. I think he’s an All-NBA player, and I think it’s easy for guys to play with him. I think Spencer is a guy that they complement each other.

Again, you’ve got to be patient. Last I checked, Spencer’s got a three-year deal, not a 40-game deal. It takes time for things to kind of come together. They’ve still got to figure out each other. The whole big part about patience is you actually do have to exercise it and be patient. Forty games isn’t enough to say this is working or not working. We’ve seen it when it can really work. We’ve seen that they can play well.

They probably defer too much, honestly. I think sometimes we want to see Bradley take a game over. We want to see Spencer take a game over. I think it’s just their nature to want to involve everybody, and that’s a great thing to have. That’s a great quality of a basketball player to want to involve everybody. But there’s also that point in the game where you say: “OK, it’s your time. You’ve got to take this game over. We need you.” They’re both capable of doing that, obviously.

You mentioned Bradley, is it correct that the extension offer the team made on Oct. 1 is still on the table?

Yes. There’s no reason to take it off. It stands all year. He can sign it all season. I’ve never been anything but transparent. We delivered it the first day that it was available. That’s out of respect to him. He’s an All-NBA player, and we expect him to be an All-Star again this year, and I think he’ll be there at the end for All-NBA. That’s a matter of respect. I think for him he’s going to do what’s very best in his interest. And for the franchise, it’s the same. We’ve all shared these things. I know people like to regurgitate and pull things up, and it’s going to be the same answer it was last time.

I would understand from his perspective why there’s a financial incentive to wait until the offseason. It makes perfect financial sense. But with the trade deadline coming up, do you have to consider whether to trade him now if you don’t have any clarity as to what he would do as an unrestricted free agent this summer?

I understand the question. I can only keep coming back to the same things I say over and over again: We have constant dialogue. And I’ve been very transparent. He’s been very transparent. We want the same things. We want this to work, and I see every reason to believe we’ll keep moving forward.

Do you need to have some sort of non-binding verbal commitment from him before the deadline that he plans to re-sign this summer?

I think you judge people by their actions. I think we both have been very direct and clear with each other. Ownership has been very direct. His agent, too. We’re all on the same page. We want the same things. I don’t need an assurance. I don’t think he needs an assurance. We keep going forward.

One of the hallmarks of your stewardship of this franchise is that you’ve divested contracts that are above $40 million a year. If Bradley does re-sign, his contract would be north of probably $45 million per year. Would there be any concern of devoting such a large chunk of the cap to a single player?

No. I don’t think so. In the NBA, you have to have a cornerstone to your franchise. It’s the cost of doing business, quite frankly. When you want to get better, when you want to continue to compete at a higher level and get better every year, it’s going to be with the players.

I think (Beal is) one of the top players at his position in the league. Obviously, he’s been identified as that through All-NBA (voting), through All-Star (selections) and, quite frankly, just his resume in 10 years of what he’s capable of doing at his position.

Our goal is to continue to build a team around him and elevate. We have a better record this year at this time than we did the year before. That’s progress. We have a lot more veteran players on our team that we added this summer. I see the growth in our young players with Deni, with Daniel Gafford. I think you’re gonna see Thomas soon. We’ll see Rui soon. Those are four young players that are coming up below guys like Bradley Beal, Spencer, Kuzma, Pope, Trezz. Those are all pretty qualified players above, and we have young players below. And I think that’s how you build a team. You don’t want to be way too young or way too old. You want to have balance, and I think that our roster has some balance. I think our contracts are balanced-out now. I think that gives you an opportunity, especially around the deadline, to look and see if there’s a way to improve your team. Certainly in the offseason, it gives us opportunities to do things. So I’m really excited with where we’re at.

We don’t get too high or too low. I can’t say that enough. But I do believe our expectations are to continue to get better, and we’ve shown that this team is a good team starting out. We hit some tough times, like everybody in the league. But that’s a lot of the season: 15 games to have guys in and out of the lineup. We’ve played eight call-up guys. No one’s feeling sorry for us — and they shouldn’t.

But for me, I can’t make blink judgments based off of those games. We were a helluva shot away (with DeMar DeRozan’s 3-point game-winner) from beating Chicago the other night. We were all over Charlotte. We’ve done some good things. And then we’ve had some tough losses, too.

Quite honestly, every night in the NBA, you need all your players to be successful. And then the key when you don’t have those guys is the depth and the next person up. I think it’s been exhausting a little bit for the coaching staff and for the players when you don’t have those guys. On a nightly basis, when you’re missing somebody, and you’re kind of adjusting on the fly, it’s hard to get that consistent approach out on the court. I guess you would want to call it “chemistry.” But for players, you need to play together for a while before you really get to know each other. It seems like anytime we start to get a little bit of that, somebody else goes out, right?

One thing I can’t say enough about is I’m so proud of the kids that we called up from the Go-Go, particularly just to be able to realize their dream, certainly, by getting to the NBA. That allowed us to keep going. We didn’t miss games. (Players on 10-day contracts) kind of held the league together, quite honestly. Chris Paul pointed that out.

We are very grateful to all the 10-day hardship players. I think Greg Monroe’s been exactly what we hoped he would be when he signed on and came to the Go-Go. We knew he’d be a fantastic mentor, but when called upon, he could go out and contribute on an NBA court. … That, plus all the call-ups that we had from the Go-Go, shows that that relationship has been fantastic and very valuable. And I’m really proud of that one. I’m really sad for Brad Wanamaker and for Tremont Waters; they came in and only got a chance to play one game, and COVID took them out for the rest of their contracts. That really stinks, because those guys are deserving of being in the NBA.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1866 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:03 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crap.

Looks like 5 more years of 40-win seasons folks. They're going to give him the supermax, and we're just going to roll with what we've got. I see a lot of "gutting it out for the 10th seed" type of seasons.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1867 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:14 am

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crap.

Looks like 5 more years of 40-win seasons folks. They're going to give him the supermax, and we're just going to roll with what we've got. I see a lot of "gutting it out for the 10th seed" type of seasons.

We're going to have to find the equivalent of a CP3 to Phoenix deal.

Or DeRozan to Bulls deal.

Or drafting a difference maker in the late lotto or mid first round like Utah did with Mitchell or Miami has done with Herro and Adebayo.

And of course hitting on a couple of low level free agents.

So much has to go right which hasn't happened for 42 years.

That's really the only avenues to contention with Beal on that contract.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#1868 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:02 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crap.

We're going to have to find the equivalent of a CP3 to Phoenix deal.

Or DeRozan to Bulls deal.

Or drafting a difference maker in the late lotto or mid first round like Utah did with Mitchell or Miami has done with Herro and Adebayo.

And of course hitting on a couple of low level free agents.

So much has to go right which hasn't happened for 42 years.

That's really the only avenues to contention with Beal on that contract.[/quote

This franchise is so pathetic. To not even contemplate a Beal trade and pay him like he was a top 10 player is absurd. Very depressing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1869 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:16 pm

Still, remember the day before he traded Wall, he said Wall wasn't going to be traded. Things can change very quickly. If Beal decides to realize this team isn't going anywhere (which he could by looking at the point differential), he could decide to request a trade, and we could see a trade happen just like that (snaps fingers).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1870 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:44 pm

Yea, you can't trust anything Tommy says.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1871 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:Still, remember the day before he traded Wall, he said Wall wasn't going to be traded. Things can change very quickly. If Beal decides to realize this team isn't going anywhere (which he could by looking at the point differential), he could decide to request a trade, and we could see a trade happen just like that (snaps fingers).

This is why this organization is so pathetic. No foresight or preemptive thinking. So, the only way Beal would be traded is if he requests it… :banghead:

A well run franchise will look ahead and try to get max value ahead of time. With hindsight, Beal should have been traded last season when he had his only all-NBA season.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1872 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:Still, remember the day before he traded Wall, he said Wall wasn't going to be traded. Things can change very quickly. If Beal decides to realize this team isn't going anywhere (which he could by looking at the point differential), he could decide to request a trade, and we could see a trade happen just like that (snaps fingers).

The difference is, Shams had already tweeted that the Wizards and Rockets were discussing a trade. Tommy was doing the non-denial denial.

There's been zero rumors of Beal wanting out or the Wizards discussing him in packages. Windhorst was saying this last week with Bontemps and McMahon on his podcast. Woj all season has been saying that Tommy and Brad's agent are on the same page.

It's inevitable. Let us just pray Brad stays healthy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1873 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:58 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

The difference is, Shams had already tweeted that the Wizards and Rockets were discussing a trade. Tommy was doing the non-denial denial.

There's been zero rumors of Beal wanting out or the Wizards discussing him in packages. Windhorst was saying this last week with Bontemps and McMahon on his podcast. Woj all season has been saying that Tommy and Brad's agent are on the same page.

And if truth be told, I think Leonsis believes the fans will be happy with a .500 team. So he justifies doing the minimal to get to .500.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1874 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:12 pm

Precisely.

Tommy said what was politically correct. The extension offered must not be the super max deal.

I think Beal gets dealt within a month.
Bye bye Beal.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1875 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm

It's rare that guys the caliber of Beal would be in trade talks and woj and windy and the like wouldn't know.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1876 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Precisely.

Tommy said what was politically correct. The extension offered must not be the super max deal.

I think Beal gets dealt within a month.

Shams had already reported HOU-WAS were discussing a Wall-Westbrook trade two weeks before it happened. Then Tommy denied it.

Has Shams, Woj, Haynes, Windhorst, or any other credible NBA national reporter reported that Washington is in trade discussions on Brad?

NOPE.
RealGM

Post#1877 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crap.

6-2 without
16-18 with
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1878 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:27 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

Let us pray they go back in this forum and remember what I said before they resigned Arenas. I was almost alone on that There might of been one or two people that no longer post here that agreed with me when I said Arenas knows he is hurt; Why on earth would you re-sign the guy now?!

I was one of the few that said do not sign John Wall to a Supermax deal. I remember I was not the only anti Wall guy here, But I was called a hater for a long time until it became obvious that John was not the same player anymore. John Wall was really a sad case because he really did improve right before he got hurt. He was balling! I have nothing but respect for the effort that young man gave him for his character despite a little bit of petulance. He loved DC and the city really loved him back. I am not mad at him or Gilbert forgetting that paper!

Bradley Beal should sign for as much money as he can get. That is the smart thing and the right thing for him to do. Even though I am seeing trade the guy I think he is a great human being. Comes from a great family. And I expect he will have a great future.

From a business standpoint I do not think that Washington should sign him to a Supermax deal UNLESS … Perhaps the Wizards could force a three-way deal with the Lakers.

I think Anthony Davis is pretty soft and pretty fragile and he wants to end his career playing small forward.

Somehow someway if the Washington Wizards can send Bradley to the Lakers …

What that would do would be to re-energize Russell Westbrook. I don’t know how they could replace Anthony Davis but a team like Atlanta is sort of desperate right now. Maybe John Collins along with Bradley Beal could be enough for LeBron for now. Anthony Davis comes to Washington and that is enough said

Or if Anthony Davis went to Atlanta they send something to Washington
Bye bye Beal.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1879 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Let us pray they go back in this forum and remember what I said before they resigned Arenas. I was almost alone on that There might of been one or two people that no longer post here that agreed with me when I said Arenas knows he is hurt; Why on earth would you re-sign the guy now?!

I was one of the few that said do not sign John Wall to a Supermax deal. I remember I was not the only anti Wall guy here, But I was called a hater for a long time until it became obvious that John was not the same player anymore. John Wall was really a sad case because he really did improve right before he got hurt. He was balling! I have nothing but respect for the effort that young man gave him for his character despite a little bit of petulance. He loved DC and the city really loved him back. I am not mad at him or Gilbert forgetting that paper!

Bradley Beal should sign for as much money as he can get. That is the smart thing and the right thing for him to do. Even though I am seeing trade the guy I think he is a great human being. Comes from a great family. And I expect he will have a great future.

From a business standpoint I do not think that Washington should sign him to a Supermax deal UNLESS … Perhaps the Wizards could force a three-way deal with the Lakers.

I think Anthony Davis is pretty soft and pretty fragile and he wants to end his career playing small forward.

Somehow someway if the Washington Wizards can send Bradley to the Lakers …

What that would do would be to re-energize Russell Westbrook. I don’t know how they could replace Anthony Davis but a team like Atlanta is sort of desperate right now. Maybe John Collins along with Bradley Beal could be enough for LeBron for now. Anthony Davis comes to Washington and that is enough said

Or if Anthony Davis went to Atlanta they send something to Washington

Actually, that would be an interesting proposition....say a a Beal+Rui for Davis+something swap...Dunno what to think of it. Davis is a top 10 talent but quite injury prone...
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1880 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 pm

Terrible. Davis has fallen off a cliff from 3 years ago. He cant stay healthy, doesn't work on his craft, doesn't spread the floor, doesn't have the mentality/physicality to work the paint... Hard pass

Return to Washington Wizards