ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1921 » by DCZards » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:32 pm

nate33 wrote:There aren't many true #1 options, Beal is not one of the 7. Nor is he one of the several who might become that guy in the future (Morant, Zion, Luka, Mitchell, Cunningham, Tatum). So if he is not in either category, then we shouldn't pay him the max. If he won't agree to stay for, say, $30M, then we should trade him.

We absolutely should not just throw our hands up and say: "This the best we're gonna do. Let's just pay him more than he is worth and accept that we will never win 50 games."

I agree with that last part. But nor should we assume that the threshold of a team with Beal as a centerpiece is automatically less than 50 win team. With the development of 2-3 of the youngins' (Rui, Deni, Kispert) and a few crafty moves on the part of a GM who has already proven to be a pretty good wheeler-dealer, I believe the Zards could improve significantly in the short-term.

Right now I see only three EC teams—Brooklyn, Milwaukee & Miami—that is currently head-and-shoulders above the rest of the conference…and that's not likely to change as long as KD & Co. are in Bklyn; Giannis is in Milw.; and Butler, Lowry & Bam are in Miami.

But I don't see any reason why the Zards, with Beal as a major piece, can't be in that next tier of EC teams.

Let's not forgot that the Suns went from a 34-win team to a 51-win team and the NBA championship based primarily on the addition of one player—Chris Paul. Or that the main reason Miami is considered a potential EC champ is the addition of one player—Kyle Lowry.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1922 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:50 pm

DCZards wrote:Right now I see only three EC teams—Brooklyn, Milwaukee & Miami—that is currently head-and-shoulders above the rest of the conference…and that's not likely to change as long as KD & Co. are in Bklyn; Giannis is in Milw.; and Butler, Lowry & Bam are in Miami.

Chicago and Philly are easily ahead of us as well. And any realistic projection into the future will surely put Cleveland and Charlotte comfortably ahead of us. And plenty of other teams have a lot more reason to be optimistic than us based on the youth of their best players including: Atlanta, Boston, Toronto.

Honestly, I can only name 3 teams that I'm fairly confident that we will outperform over the next 2 seasons: Detroit, Orlando and New York. Maybe one can include Indy in that mix. But that's it. We are much more likely to be the 11th best team over the next 2-3 seasons than we are to be a 50 win team. Going by SRS we are the 13th best team in the conference!
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1923 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:Right now I see only three EC teams—Brooklyn, Milwaukee & Miami—that is currently head-and-shoulders above the rest of the conference…and that's not likely to change as long as KD & Co. are in Bklyn; Giannis is in Milw.; and Butler, Lowry & Bam are in Miami.

Chicago and Philly are easily ahead of us as well. And any realistic projection into the future will surely put Cleveland and Charlotte comfortably ahead of us. And plenty of other teams have a lot more reason to be optimistic than us based on the youth of their best players including: Atlanta, Boston, Toronto.

Honestly, I can only name 3 teams that I'm fairly confident that we will outperform over the next 2 seasons: Detroit, Orlando and New York. Maybe one can include Indy in that mix. But that's it. We are much more likely to be the 11th best team over the next 2-3 seasons than we are to be a 50 win team. Going by SRS we are the 13th best team in the conference!

Sober assessment. But one would have to agree I am afraid...With Beal at a super (or near) max salary our ceiling is a 5-6th seed at the very best and if all the stars align...If things go wrong we can easily drop to the 11th seed and picking 9th (again) in the lottery.

One of the most frustrating treats about Beal is his lack of alpha dog winning mentality in the clutch. We all know than he is far from reliable in clutch situations. His on-court body language and slacking on D is also extremely frustrating. And the question is: do we want to pay him the super max given his shortcomings? Terd and Tommy appear to be happy about it, but I am not and would rather trade him and roll the dice.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1924 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#1925 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:01 pm

I’m not sure I would even pay Beal 30 million/year. He’s on the back end of his prime and we don’t have a team that is capable of ever contending for a championship with him. His trade value is probably a lot higher than his current on court value. He’s gotta go.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1926 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:16 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m not sure I would even pay Beal 30 million/year. He’s on the back end of his prime and we don’t have a team that is capable of ever contending for a championship with him. His trade value is probably a lot higher than his current on court value. He’s gotta go.

That was quick.

Just a year or so ago you were on Beal's **** talking about how great he was in comparison to Wall, a "Real leader", a franchise player to build this team around etc.... :dontknow:

President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1927 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I’m not sure I would even pay Beal 30 million/year. He’s on the back end of his prime and we don’t have a team that is capable of ever contending for a championship with him. His trade value is probably a lot higher than his current on court value. He’s gotta go.

That was quick.

Just a year or so ago you were on Beal's **** talking about how great he was in comparison to Wall, a "Real leader", a franchise player to build this team around etc.... :dontknow:

Id say he’s pretty great in comparison to Wall, who is completely done with his career.

A year ago, Beal was averaging 31 points per game on 59% TS and the wizards had an opportunity to sign him to an extension and avoid risking losing him in UFA for nothing. Things change, obviously. Beal has refused to sign an extension and made public comments about wanting to test the waters in free agency.

This is all common sense of course, you just wanted to throw out a little personal attack. Good for you.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1928 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:16 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

That was quick.

Id say he’s pretty great in comparison to Wall, who is completely done with his career.

A year ago, Beal was averaging 31 points per game on 59% TS and the wizards had an opportunity to sign him to an extension and avoid risking losing him in UFA for nothing. Things change, obviously. Beal has refused to sign an extension and made public comments about wanting to test the waters in free agency.

This is all common sense of course, you just wanted to throw out a little personal attack. Good for you.

Its not a personal attack.

The reason I brought up Wall was because of how much YOU brought him up in comparison to Beal.

Nonstop actually.

Just surprised you of all people, changed your tune on Beal.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1929 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:34 pm

It’s very simple, Beal is on the last year of his contract before hitting unrestricted free agency. You should NEVER let your star player hit unrestricted free agency if you aren’t competing for a championship. It doesn’t matter if it’s Beal or if it’s Kevin Durant. You have to get value and avoid the risk. That’s no knock against what he’s done for this franchise and his character/leadership qualities. It’s business.

Again, everyone knows this, you just want to be antagonizing.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#1930 » by dlts20 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:51 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I said this in the last game thread but wassup with the DC media. This is the nation's capital. They challenge the president and congress here but Beal can play like crap while wanting a super max yet he never ever gets asked in person about his terrible play? It's so bad that Brad had to call himself out last month because our media is scared to do it... Smh

If he got traded to the Knicks right now with a max and stunk it up, they would be calling him overrated and boo him out the Garden.

Im serious though. At least the fans could hear some kinda explanation from him. We are just finally getting some of the media to do some negative tweets but they still don't say anything to him in person. It's ridiculous.

Idk what's going on with dude. Is he tanking to be traded, is he the opposite of most and actually stinks it up in the contract year, can he not handle the pressure of all the different things that's going on (which is a bad trait in itself if that's the case), or what.

Even in a slump, you expect dude to breakout soon. It's damn near the trade deadline and all star game. Where is the explosive hibachi taking over games. Where is the John Wall passion. Where is the leadership. Dude is out here playing pickup basketball with no urgency and his J is straight trash now. Again, I always say that it's hard to judge the team, front office, coaching, or whatever when your franchise player is trash. That holds everything else back

He’s played well in his last 15 or so games.

I'm pro Beal. I would max last seasons Beal, especially with a Lil added defense. He started off this year like crap but then found a great groove. I thought that he was back and broke out but the last 5 games he's gone back bad for the most part. That's why I am down because I thought that he was back. You can't be great forever but he's just looking lackluster again and he has to be the difference in beating teams like the Nets at home without KD. Tonight is a huge game imo. No Kuz. We need the elite Brad again. I'm tired of wondering what to expect. He's still got a chance
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1931 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 am

Read on Twitter
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1932 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:16 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ouch!

If nothing else, this is leverage in contract negotiation. Sorry Beal. We're not going to pay the 8th best guard in the conference a supermax. Good luck finding a team that will pay you that much.

Of course, hardball negotiations like that sour the relationship. Not only is he no longer good enough to be an All-Star, but he's going to be an unhappy, disgruntled teammate with a chip on his shoulder for not being paid like he thinks he deserves. That's not a recipe for success going forward.

All the more reason to trade him now.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1933 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ouch!

If nothing else, this is leverage in contract negotiation. Sorry Beal. We're not going to pay the 8th best guard in the conference a supermax. Good luck finding a team that will pay you that much.

Of course, hardball negotiations like that sour the relationship. Not only is he no longer good enough to be an All-Star, but he's going to be an unhappy, disgruntled teammate with a chip on his shoulder for not being paid like he thinks he deserves. That's not a recipe for success going forward.

Amen. There is no other way…but Terd is gonna Terd most probably…
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1934 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Frichuela wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ouch!

Amen. There is no other way…but Terd is gonna Terd most probably…

Zach Lowe and Bobby Marks says there’s zero Beal trade chatter.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1935 » by keynote » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:17 pm

I don't get this notion of not wanting to pay a #2 the max, or assuming that the only way to build a contender is to "save" your max slot for a "true #1." How many #2s take sub-max deals? Most #2s on contenders get max money. And, multiple teams have become contenders by retaining a #2 and getting their #1 guy later.

The only #2s on contenders who wouldn't getting max money on the open market that I can think are Holiday and Murray.

So, as frustrating as Beal is, if we think he's a #2, we should keep him. Is he any worse than Paul Pierce was pre-KG/Ray Allen? Or Devin Booker before CP3 came along? Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker were known as talented but low-IQ players. Booker was a shot-jacker and stat padder who did stupid stuff like run up the score to get to 70.

If you have a star, you do what you can to keep him. Then, you look for opportunities to add another piece. You find a distressed star; you get lucky in the draft; etc. But it's not as if we'd be overpaying to keep a true #2.

Now, if the theory is that Beal has fallen off to the point where he can't even be a #2. Let's say he's injured, or the league rules have relegated him to Tobias Harris-level, or he's got long COVID. If he's entered the Blake Griffin in Detroit stage of his career, then that's a different story. But if we project him to be a legit #2, then we keep him.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1936 » by WallToWall » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:24 pm

We have a, on a good day, #2 player who is 28 y.o. Right at this moment, he is not playing all-star level. He has also not exhibited the all-around skill set, grit, and leadership one would like to see in a #1 player consistently. Given his age, skills, current play, level of ceiling, and leadership, there is no logical way any team (Wizards included) should think pay him the max, unless that team already has a true #1 on their roster. But mad money has been thrown around before. We have Juwan Howard, Wall, as our examples. Other teams have examples too. We should learn from this, because we are not in a place to throw that money at him. I like Beal as a person and as a player. He does well for the community. Those are intangibles that are meaningful and play into his “worth”. Still, as a business, we can’t throw the money his way, because we aren’t in a place to do so.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1937 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:41 pm

keynote wrote:I don't get this notion of not wanting to pay a #2 the max, or assuming that the only way to build a contender is to "save" your max slot for a "true #1." How many #2s take sub-max deals? Most #2s on contenders get max money. And, multiple teams have become contenders by retaining a #2 and getting their #1 guy later.

The only #2s on contenders who wouldn't getting max money on the open market that I can think are Holiday and Murray.

So, as frustrating as Beal is, if we think he's a #2, we should keep him. Is he any worse than Paul Pierce was pre-KG/Ray Allen? Or Devin Booker before CP3 came along? Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker were known as talented but low-IQ players. Booker was a shot-jacker and stat padder who did stupid stuff like run up the score to get to 70.

If you have a star, you do what you can to keep him. Then, you look for opportunities to add another piece. You find a distressed star; you get lucky in the draft; etc. But it's not as if we'd be overpaying to keep a true #2.

Now, if the theory is that Beal has fallen off to the point where he can't even be a #2. Let's say he's injured, or the league rules have relegated him to Tobias Harris-level, or he's got long COVID. If he's entered the Blake Griffin in Detroit stage of his career, then that's a different story. But if we project him to be a legit #2, then we keep him.

Let's make a distinction between "max" and "supermax". How many #2 options are getting paid 35% of the cap? Most #2 options are younger and are either on their first post rookie contract paying them 25% of the cap, or they are on their second post-rookie contract earning 30%. They are also being paid under the plausible assumption that they haven't yet peaked. Beal is eligible for 35% and he is no longer getting better. The only people making that much coin are:

Curry
Wall
Westbrook
Harden
Lebron
Durant
Giannis
Paul George
Lillard
Kawhi

Among those guys, Curry, Harden, Lebron, Durant, Giannis and Kawhi are MVP-caliber guys who deserve it.

Wall and Westbrook are clearly bad signings who didn't deserve the supermax.

Paul George and Damian Lillard are somewhere in between. The contracts feel like mild overpays, but at least the teams are somewhat relevant.

At best Beal could be considered in the Paul George/Damian Lillard tier, but I think that's overly generous. He isn't as good as those guys and Washington hasn't even sniffed the level of success of Portland and LA.

A more honest evaluation of Beal puts him in the tier of Gordon Hayward, CJ McCollum, Jrue Holiday, Khris Middleton or Demarr Derozan (of last year, that is). Those guys are good but they're not supermax players who can carry a team. Demarr is paid $26M, McCollum $30M, Jrue, $30M, Middleton, $35M, and Hayward $30M.

Paying Beal $43M (with big raises going forward) seems out of step to me.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1938 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:21 pm

keynote wrote:I don't get this notion of not wanting to pay a #2 the max, or assuming that the only way to build a contender is to "save" your max slot for a "true #1." How many #2s take sub-max deals? Most #2s on contenders get max money. And, multiple teams have become contenders by retaining a #2 and getting their #1 guy later.

Could not agree more. Beal of the last 3 years is a true #2 on a contender and you can contend with him at the max so long as he is complemented by a true 1.
I simply can buy that Beal has fallen off. He's healthy, skilled, under 30, and has a great work ethic. There is no precedent for this, so we can assume he will bounce back. Whether or not we can attain another piece and surround both players with youth and cheap vet talent seems to doubtful.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1939 » by keynote » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:40 pm

nate33 wrote:

Let's make a distinction between "max" and "supermax". How many #2 options are getting paid 35% of the cap? Most #2 options are younger and are either on their first post rookie contract paying them 25% of the cap, or they are on their second post-rookie contract earning 30%. They are also being paid under the plausible assumption that they haven't yet peaked. Beal is eligible for 35% and he is no longer getting better. The only people making that much coin are:

Curry
Wall
Westbrook
Harden
Lebron
Durant
Giannis
Paul George
Lillard
Kawhi

Among those guys, Curry, Harden, Lebron, Durant, Giannis and Kawhi are MVP-caliber guys who deserve it.

Wall and Westbrook are clearly bad signings who didn't deserve the supermax.

I get that the supermax = more money. But the supermax is also fairly new. How many examples do we have of supermax-eligible stars getting max-level $, but not supermax-level $? The players of that age either settled into a beta role earlier in their career (like PG), or they've never reached the statistical heights or earned the accolades Beal has (the lower tier you've described below).

We all hope that Shep can get Beal to sign for more than the max, but less than the absolute supermax. I'm not sure whether that's ever been successfully pulled off, though.

Paul George and Damian Lillard are somewhere in between. The contracts feel like mild overpays, but at least the teams are somewhat relevant.

At best Beal could be considered in the Paul George/Damian Lillard tier, but I think that's overly generous. He isn't as good as those guys and Washington hasn't even sniffed the level of success of Portland and LA.

I'd certainly argue that the Beal of the last two years was equivalent to PG in Indiana. PG hasn't had to be a #1 since then, so it's hard to tell. When Beal had another all-star in his prime on the team, he had modest playoff success as well.

It's hard to put Beal above Lillard, agreed. Lillard's rosters haven't been great, yet he made more noise that Beal + Wall.

Still, on the balance, I would say that Beal on the supermax -- assuming nothing's wrong with his body, and that this slump is attributable to rust + adjusting to a new roster & new system -- would feel like a PG/Lillard-level overpay. Not an ideal value, but still arguably better than starting over from scratch, and hoping to draft the next Beal/PG/Lillard.

A more honest evaluation of Beal puts him in the tier of Gordon Hayward, CJ McCollum, Jrue Holiday, Khris Middleton or Demarr Derozan (of last year, that is). Those guys are good but they're not supermax players who can carry a team. Demarr is paid $26M, McCollum $30M, Jrue, $30M, Middleton, $35M, and Hayward $30M.

I think the Beal of this season certainly fits in this tier. If that's how he projects going forward, then he's not really a traditional second star. Kawhi had Middleton *and* Jrue; the others aren't good enough to be the second best player on a championship team. If Beal projects to be a Hayward-level player or worse for the rest of his career, then he has declined, and we'd have to figure something else out. Otherwise, we'd be banking on a late-year leap like DeRozan is currently having.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#1940 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:28 am

Beal does feel like an awesome #2 guy moreso than a #1 guy. Still if you extend him, find a way to get another star-type player, and get lucky, you guys may be able to go on a big run one year in the postseason. There is value in being a solid playoff team even if not truly a contender. Rebuilds can be absolutely miserable. Selling Beal now would help get assets to jumpstart a rebuild (or maybe you can retool and extend the window of trying to build a contender), but for all we know you guys could become Sacramento with picks not quite panning out enough and the team being perpetually stuck right outside the playoffs. Or maybe you are the next Grizzlies and you guys are back better than before sooner than expected by embracing the rebuild and getting lottery luck.

If you guys did move Beal this deadline, what would be your ideal return? Simmons+2022 1st? Brown? A robust pick package and maybe young prospect?

Return to Washington Wizards