ImageImageImageImageImage

WIZ GET MARKIEFF MORRIS...............

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Re: WIZ GET MARKIEFF MORRIS............... 

Post#801 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
AFM wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Preponderance of evidence is the term used for what you need in civil court.

That's preponderous

That's preposterous... for the win, Alex.

No, it's imposterous -- it wasn't them at all.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#802 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:53 pm

payitforward wrote:..Anybody on this Board ever drop purple owsley? I didn't think so.

Then there's this...

...which I've also done. Don't get me started.

I can't believe no one picked up on this. Bunch of wusses....

Returning to the Wizington Wash-hards: a while ago I wrote that the best we could possibly hope for from Morris was for him to somehow match his productivity in his best (though still below average) season -- 2013-14. So, how's he doing so far?

Lets start w/ the good stuff: Markieff is shooting 45% on 3-pointers and almost 83% at the line! That's tremendous. Unfortunately, he's shooting under 37% on 2-pointers, which make up 75% of his FGAs. The result is that Markieff's TS% is .49. It was .56 in 2013-14 -- and it was .54 as a Wizard last year. So, "the good stuff" is swallowed up by the awful, and the result is bad, very bad.

In 2013-14, Markieff was a well-below-average rebounder for a PF -- 9 per 40 minutes. This year it's 8.1. Worse is the fact that his offensive boards are down from 2.6 in that season to 1.3 in this. Last year, he got 8.9 boards per 40 minutes, 1.7 of them on the offensive side. So, again, he isn't getting back to the meh 2013-14, and he's down from last year.

In short, Markieff Morris is bad. He's a bad PF not a good one. A significant part of the reason for our 2-6 record is that our starter at PF is a bad NBA player. The guys behind him are also no good.

I imagine that this is also the reason we are seeing Scott Brooks use lineups w/ Porter at the 4 & Sato at the 3.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#803 » by tontoz » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:05 pm

^^ best case scenario is mediocre and we gave up a first for him. :nonono:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#804 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Yup, he may have a decent showing on-occasion, but he isn't starter material.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,977

Post#805 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:12 pm

PIF, how do you rate Morris's defense? Isn't that a factor in judging a player's contribution?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#806 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:17 pm

DCZards wrote:PIF, how do you rate Morris's defense? Isn't that a factor in judging a player's contribution?

Good question. We have abstruse metrics that claim to isolate an individual's defense from team results, but you have to take them on faith because the way they're calculated isn't being revealed. And we have "the eye test," which seems to be more telling in the case of defense than offense, because it allows you to see effort (or lack thereof).

Of course, some parts of defense show in box score stats -- defensive rebounds and blocks for example. And I'd say a high foul rate, OTOH, is an indicator of bad defense.

The problem I see is that a person might point to something that's hard to measure with any degree of certainty -- and then defend a player by stressing that "something," in this case defense, even though it's really not possible to assess how much being "good" at it (if in fact the player really is good at it -- remembering that it's hard to measure outputs of this "something"), as a way to defend the decision to acquire the player, or just to put off making a judgment about it, especially a negative judgment.

In the case of Markieff, I'd say that problem applies pretty clearly. The Wizards are 2-6, and the reason is kind of obvious: not enough good players to do better / players not good enough to do better.

I'm not reluctant to say that players are good just because Ernie acquired them, Zards. Otto Porter was a great pick. Gortat is a terrific player. Wall was the right guy to grab #1 in 2010. Booker was an exceptionally high value draft pick and it was well worth trading up to grab him. Even if a guy doesn't work out, he might still have been a perfectly good pick: Kevin Seraphin and Bradley Beal are examples, and you could even put Shelvin Mack on that list (although I had Chandler Parsons as the right pick at that spot).

But Markieff Morris? No. He wasn't a player worth targeting, and no way was he worth what we gave for him. The Suns picked at #8 w/ our pick. Maneuvering w/ that pick, a good GM could have wound up with 3 very good players.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#807 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Markieff has poor knee flexibility and high center of gravity. He doesn't have any moves that he can go to in clutch that high percentage shots. We have only one player on the roster that has high percentage shots that he can go to in clutch to draw fouls...WAll. We got him with the number one overall pick. I guess you can say EG could have messed it up and drafted Kwame over Gasol or draft Vesely over K. Leonard. Ooops he actually did. We need GM's that can see talent developed 5 years in teh future. EG has shown he doesn't have this talent and LEonsis is to blame for not finding front office talent that has this ability. Back to Markieff. He doesn't have a high percentage go to move that is hard to stop without fouling him. These are the players you trade for. Your GM is suppose to be able to see players who the rest of league can't see into the future. Our front office has a poor track record of doing this yet Leonsis still allows them to run his ship and indirectly our precious time rooting for our team to make it to the championship stage.
AGain, we contstantly bringing in players thrive off the jumpshot. EG has failed to bring in players that can get to the line if their jumpshot isn't falling. Our only player on roster who consistently can do it is wall. Beal, who we paid 100 plus million doesn't even have the ups to finish above the rim and he we are projecting him as an allstar nba shooting guard in teh future.
If you can't hang in the air and adjust your shot based on defense, i really don't care if you greate at catch and shooting wide open threes. We should have paid J.R. smith because that's basically want beal does.

he attemps a basical spend move in the paint to avoid marcus smart knee attack and sprains his hamstring. Basck to MOrris, EG seems to have poor understanding of a player with great athleticism vs poor knee athleticism. He drafted Javale Mcgee over deandre jordan. He drafted vesely over klay thompson and K leonard. He picked otto porter over the greek freak.
e has really bad knees and he doesn't play with heart to make up for being undersized. Usually a tweener can get away with being a stretch four if he actually can create space and get elevation. Morris bad knees keeps him from getting any elevation. He also seems to have poor body control. It appears that he has alot of trouble stopping his momentum once he gets going do to his poor knees. Just my opinion. He also lands very poorly which is probably why his knees cartilage has worn prematurely.

why ted needs to let go front office talent evfaluators If you are drafting or trading for a player who is under 30 years old and can't catch an alley hoop, then he doesn't have nba athleticism or his knees cartillage is severely damaged and this player should not be in your starting rotation and you definitely don't pay him 100 plus million.
Yes vesely could catch lobs, but he had poor body control with the basketball and could adjust his shot with contact in the air. i mean these are basics for a starting caliber player. I am glad we got scott brooks because he is at least an nba player who saw true elite athleticism every day. the problem now is that we have to wait for at least 3 draft years to see scoot brooks roster inputs.
Beal... you trade him before you pay him. GM has over valued wiz assets and we have a bunch of grunfeld clones who can shoot but have no above the rim athleticism. That's the problem when you have a final decision maker who never had elite nba athlecism. My argument is that EG never had elite athleticism therefore he can't recognize it and he undervalues it when makng final decisions. Leonsis is to blame because he hasn't put a an ex player who had both high baskebtall iq and elite level athlecism. This is the only person that you should have as your final decision maker. There are only a few nba players who had both elite basketball iq and elite nba athletcism. this should be teh pool that you pull from for your final decision for player personnel. Until ted understands this, the years will go by and decades of suffering will continue. Grunfeld may be good at negotiating contract. Dan Snyder finally figured out his Buce Allen...aka EG was best served for contracts... and he brought in SCott Mcccloughan. Why scott could evaluate a players intangibles and EG can not. Leonsis delegates so fans at the end of the day have him to blame.
Leonsis needs to bring in his scott. NOw will Brooks be given final say over roster moves. I just hope EG finally looks at the track record and says EG i want you deal strictly with contracts and stop playing fantasy basketball using statistics to make decisions.

My suggestion to ted is to get a ex player who was both former nba all defense first or second team who also was top ten offensive player. there are only a few people in the world who meet these criteria. That is the pool you select from when getting a gm to make your team top 4 team out of combined 32 teams season after season.
NOw i hope beal, and morris can show me they have clutch athletic go moves that they can consistently go to for high percentage shots without getting injured. - a go to move is not a contested jumper. It results in you getting a high percentage non contested jump shot or high probability that you make the shot or get fouled and not get hurt.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#808 » by montestewart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:13 pm

payitforward wrote:And I'd say a high foul rate, OTOH, is an indicator of bad defense.

Probably true, an indication of slowness or lack of coordination or self-control, but on the other hand, I think a low foul rate is also a useful indicator of bad defense. Blocking lanes, swatting at the ball, putting a body on an opponent, etc., these things are bound to lead to fouls, and they can't all go your way, even if you're a good defender. If you look at the people with low foul rates, there aren't really any top defensive players jumping out.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#809 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:27 pm

I've come around to liking Morris as a back up 4, especially at his price.

By now, the paint is dry and we know who he is. A very good one one one defender in the post. Decent mid range game. Can hit the three enough to keep opponents honest. Brings some toughness.

He also is a mediocre at best rebounder, help defender and post scorer.

His lack of reach and lateral speed are always going to limit him.

As usual, EFG has constructed a roster where the whole is worse than the pieces. As a go to, first team guy, Morris will continue to tantalize us on occasions... but will usually fall short of what we'd need from that spot to consistently win games.
In Rizzo we trust
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,001

Re: RE: Re: WIZ GET MARKIEFF MORRIS............... 

Post#810 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:37 pm

AFM wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Do you guys know the details. i thought only one of them was involved in the physical altercation it self and if that is the case, how is the defendent going to identify the attacker between twins. Unless there is some DNA evidence, isn't that going to be "reasonable doubt". In Civil court, is reasonable doubt good enough?

I thought it was both of them? They beat up some dude at the same time, for trying to sleep with their mom? Dude was sexting their mom, so they jumped him.

Never thought I would type that sentence

Oh...snap.

I went to court a lot in 2014

Now I am a fan of The Morris Brothers
Blkbrd671 wrote:Do you guys know the details. i thought only one of them was involved in the physical altercation it self and if that is the case, how is the defendent going to identify the attacker between twins. Unless there is some DNA evidence, isn't that going to be "reasonable doubt". In Civil court, is reasonable doubt good enough?

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#811 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:39 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
AFM wrote:That's preponderous

That's preposterous... for the win, Alex.

No, it's imposterous -- it wasn't them at all.

Imposterous?

Hillaryus.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#812 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:42 pm

tontoz wrote:^^ best case scenario is mediocre and we gave up a first for him. :nonono:

Ernie baby did his part

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#813 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:43 pm

DCZards wrote:PIF, how do you rate Morris's defense? Isn't that a factor in judging a player's contribution?

Great point DCZ.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#814 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:45 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I've come around to liking Morris as a back up 4, especially at his price.

By now, the paint is dry and we know who he is. A very good one one one defender in the post. Decent mid range game. Can hit the three enough to keep opponents honest. Brings some toughness.

He also is a mediocre at best rebounder, help defender and post scorer.

His lack of reach and lateral speed are always going to limit him.

As usual, EFG has constructed a roster where the whole is worse than the pieces. As a go to, first team guy, Morris will continue to tantalize us on occasions... but will usually fall short of what we'd need from that spot to consistently win games.

And Ernie grunfeld it's going to keep smiling and cash them paychecks

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#815 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:46 pm

I like that last post with typos .

Bye bye Beal.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#816 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:10 pm

payitforward wrote:
payitforward wrote:..Anybody on this Board ever drop purple owsley? I didn't think so.

Then there's this...

yeah yeah, took a bunch of drugs in the 60s with the Dead, now you're in a 12 Step program and a rich tech capitalist. I saw that episode of the Simpsons.

Say, have you ever boiled bong resin in your Dilaudid spoon?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#817 » by AFM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:38 pm

Anyone who wants to smoke hookah with me is invited over, PM for address
payitforward
RealGM

Post#818 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:34 am

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:And I'd say a high foul rate, OTOH, is an indicator of bad defense.

Probably true, an indication of slowness or lack of coordination or self-control, but on the other hand, I think a low foul rate is also a useful indicator of bad defense. Blocking lanes, swatting at the ball, putting a body on an opponent, etc., these things are bound to lead to fouls, and they can't all go your way, even if you're a good defender. If you look at the people with low foul rates, there aren't really any top defensive players jumping out.

:) -- I'm sure an average foul rate could also indicate a bad defender. Haven't worked out how yet, but I'm sure someone will!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#819 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:37 am

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Then there's this...

yeah yeah, took a bunch of drugs in the 60s with the Dead, now you're in a 12 Step program and a rich tech capitalist. I saw that episode of the Simpsons.

Say, have you ever boiled bong resin in your Dilaudid spoon?

Obviously, I don't remember -- how could I after all the stuff I ate, smoked, snorted, etc.?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#820 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:39 am

AFM wrote:Anyone who wants to smoke hookah with me is invited over, PM for address

Memory is better than reality -- always keep that in mind, my friend. The past is better than the present, and the future's gonna be even better. With that knowledge and a pin the tail on the donkey game set, you too can be the great GM Ernie Grunfeld is.

Return to Washington Wizards