ImageImageImageImageImage

BOYCOTT WIZARDS TICKETS!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Re: BOYCOTT WIZARDS TICKETS! 

Post#181 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:01 pm

I hadn't intended to go to any games this season because of EG. However now I am starting to lose my resolve. Our top players have really been bringing it, showing a lot of professionalism even though they know that they have little chance of team success this season.

Now I am thinking I might go to a few. Might even dust off my Beal jersey and wear it to a game.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,155

Post#182 » by AFM » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:20 pm

You can trade a small bag of ganja outside the VC for floor seats
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#183 » by BigA » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:30 pm

OK, with the Wizards' improvement since the bad start and great run over the last few weeks, it's worth taking a look at the ticket situation.

As we've noted elsewhere, the schedule from here on has more road games than home games. Plus, a number of the most attractive home games are clustered in February: GSW, Cleveland, OKC, Utah.

On Ticketmaster, the inventory of secondary market seats has been reduced compared with earlier in the season, especially for the attractive games, and the prices of remaining tickets have crept up toward box office prices. There are still good deals to be had, especially for the less attractive games. It's really worth it to check StubHub as well. Remember that instant download is not available for StubHub anymore so you need to buy a week in advance.

It's also worth noting that there are large numbers of unsold box office tickets for every game, even for GSW and Cleveland. For example, looking at the GSW game, in Section 210 (corner), only 10 or so seats have been sold, and the box office price is $265. About half of the upper bowl is unsold, with typical prices running $130 (sideline sections) and $85 (end zone). How many people can they sell tickets to at those prices? I would assume that it would be a major embarrassment if there are large swaths of empty seats for this game.

I got my first call and email from a Wizards ticket agent since the beginning of the season the other day. I told him I'm probably only going to individual games and buying on the secondary market, and he said that he has some scope to give me a deal, even on individual games. I think I'm going to take him up on it and see what sort of deal he can give me for GSW. I'll report what I find out.

Some of my basic conclusions from earlier in the season still stand. The value proposition for plan holders is still terrible, although if the team continues to play at this level they may be able to stop the bleeding there. Unless this team makes the NBA Finals, I think the strategy of buying individual games on the secondary market will still be the most cost effective way to go to games next year. If the good play continues and the Wizards end up in the 2nd or 3rd seed, it will be interesting to see how this affects prices.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#184 » by verbal8 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 pm

tontoz wrote:I hadn't intended to go to any games this season because of EG. However now I am starting to lose my resolve. Our top players have really been bringing it, showing a lot of professionalism even though they know that they have little chance of team success this season.

Now I am thinking I might go to a few. Might even dust off my Beal jersey and wear it to a game.

I agree the recent success does make a ticket boycott difficult to continue. My company has a ticket lottery for the company Wizards tickets - so that is my first attempt to get tickets. If I don't get them there - I will probably get some for a game or 2 on the secondary market.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,901

Post#185 » by CobraCommander » Sun Feb 5, 2017 2:22 am

Are we gonna lift the BoyCott? Come on man...at this point we just punishing ourselves...
BigA
Analyst

Post#186 » by BigA » Sun Feb 5, 2017 11:10 am

CobraCommander wrote:Are we gonna lift the BoyCott? Come on man...at this point we just punishing ourselves...

For me, it's always been mostly about the ridiculous prices, though the crappy start gave it a nice edge of outrage.

Still pretty easy to buy on the secondary market at prices significantly below box office and have a clear conscience about putting additional money in Ted's coffers. I'm going to talk to a ticket agent this week about getting a break on OKC tickets. Maybe if I do that I can earmark my payment to go to Elle's trust fund.
BigA
Analyst

Post#187 » by BigA » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 am

OK, playoff tickets are on sale for all home games in the first round on the Ticketmaster site.

Box office prices are not outrageous. For example, lower end zone Row O for $96 plus fees. Seats in the 400s for $35-$48.

Prices from resellers look very high.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#188 » by montestewart » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:01 pm

BigA wrote:OK, playoff tickets are on sale for all home games in the first round on the Ticketmaster site.

Box office prices are not outrageous. For example, lower end zone Row O for $96 plus fees. Seats in the 400s for $35-$48.

Prices from resellers look very high.

I have to admit, if it weren't for ongoing back issues making it hard for me to sit for long, I would dive right in. Guess I'll be watching them on TV this year. Hope a lot of you make it.

As always, thanks for your updates BigA
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#189 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:43 pm

I quit cable so the only way I can watch games is at bars or to buy tickets and go watch the games.

I haven't been moved to go to a bar yet though. I'm the worst fan ever now.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
BigA
Analyst

Post#190 » by BigA » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:09 pm

I'd be interested in what they are charging plan holders for playoff tickets if anyone wants to share info. The prices for the general public are pretty reasonable. Are plan holders getting an additional break?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#191 » by montestewart » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:42 pm

BigA wrote:I'd be interested in what they are charging plan holders for playoff tickets if anyone wants to share info. The prices for the general public are pretty reasonable. Are plan holders getting an additional break?

I seem to recall in the old days getting a break. Of course, when they were in the playoffs in 2005, I just walked up to the box office and got good ticket, and would buy more after each game. I wonder how it will go this year?
BigA
Analyst

Post#192 » by BigA » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:17 am

Large swaths of tickets available for all first round games. Better availability for games 2-3-4. In some sections (like 100s behind the basket, and some 200 sections) the team is cutting box office prices for home game 3 (series game 5). Example: Sec 105 Row D for $102. Reseller prices are also coming down.

There's no way they'll sell all or most of the available 400 level tickets (priced $35 and up). I guess they'll end up giving those away somehow.

Also, at a quick glance, the availability of Caps tickets is pretty good. More expensive than Wizards tickets. Mostly resellers, but there's enough box office availability to price compare. Resale tickets are priced lower than box office in most places.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#193 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:15 pm

It's been about five years since the Wizards sales team didn't even try a fake attempt to get me to re-up my tickets, I guess so sure that they had the hottest ticket in town. Suddenly, they're calling again. What gives? BigA or anyone else have insight into this? Are they struggling to sell tickets? Are they suddenly cross checking former ticket holders with Apple users?

New ownership gives me hope that new management could be in the team's future, but I don't know whether I'm ready to give Leonsis any cash just yet. Might try something on the secondary market this year, since Wall is the only current Wizard I've seen live.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#194 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:23 pm

montestewart wrote:It's been about five years since the Wizards sales team didn't even try a fake attempt to get me to re-up my tickets, I guess so sure that they had the hottest ticket in town. Suddenly, they're calling again. What gives? BigA or anyone else have insight into this? Are they struggling to sell tickets? Are they suddenly cross checking former ticket holders with Apple users?

New ownership gives me hope that new management could be in the team's future, but I don't know whether I'm ready to give Leonsis any cash just yet. Might try something on the secondary market this year, since Wall is the only current Wizard I've seen live.

Per a Post article they have 12,000 season ticket holders and I believe Cap One Arena fits about 20K for basketball, so I'm guessing they will have attendance anywhere between 16-18K most nights.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#195 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:42 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
montestewart wrote:It's been about five years since the Wizards sales team didn't even try a fake attempt to get me to re-up my tickets, I guess so sure that they had the hottest ticket in town. Suddenly, they're calling again. What gives? BigA or anyone else have insight into this? Are they struggling to sell tickets? Are they suddenly cross checking former ticket holders with Apple users?

Per a Post article they have 12,000 season ticket holders and I believe Cap One Arena fits about 20K for basketball, so I'm guessing they will have attendance anywhere between 16-18K most nights.

Is that up from previous years? Wondering why they're calling now. Maybe ticket sales dept. just got more competent re filling seats.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#196 » by Rafael122 » Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:53 pm

montestewart wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

Is that up from previous years? Wondering why they're calling now. Maybe ticket sales dept. just got more competent re filling seats.

Yeah the article said they added 2K this offseason. Caps have 16,000 season ticket holders so the Wiz are still behind.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#197 » by DCZards » Wed Oct 4, 2017 4:28 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

Yeah the article said they added 2K this offseason. Caps have 16,000 season ticket holders so the Wiz are still behind.

Not surprised by the uptick in season ticket holders. Good season last year with 49 wins, a near conference final and a 17-game winning streak that lit up the Verizon Center. I've been a Bullets/Zards full or partial season ticket holder for almost 20 years and last season was the best ever in terms of fan excitement and enthusiasm.

It helped that the Zards had one of the most talented, exciting and athletic players in the game in JWall, who did something spectacular almost every game to bring the fans out of their seats.
BigA
Analyst

Post#198 » by BigA » Wed Oct 4, 2017 8:33 pm

I haven't gotten my call from the Monumental sales people yet. Last time they called I straight up told them that I saw single game tickets on the secondary market as the most cost effective way for me to go to games.

I'll try to do a deep dive into the ticket situation sometime soon. Looking at a few of the early games, there's the same pattern we saw last year of the secondary market prices being much lower than box office prices for most games in most locations. We know they didn't raise season ticket prices for this year. Also, I took a quick look at partial plans, and some of those prices have actually been lowered from last year.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#199 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:58 am

Fiya Urrnie!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
BigA
Analyst

Post#200 » by BigA » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:11 am

Quick note on tickets for this week.

Lots of seats available for Wednesday 2/28 vs. GSW. Much of the 400 level is unsold, with prices starting at $95 (plus fees, generally 25%). If the pattern of the past few years is repeated, the box office seats will be taken down in the next 24 hours and given away I assume. There will be people sitting in those seats Wednesday night.

As usual, the best value seats are in the 100 level behind the basket, where you can get resale seats with a box office price of $235 for $170 or less. Wednesday late morning will be the best time to hang out on Ticketmaster and see how prices for resale seats drop.

Also good resale availability for Friday 3/2 vs. Tronnuh. I'm looking at this one. Behind the basket seats for $80 and less. Also the 100 "corner' sections (102-109-113-120) for around $100. Also, three Acela Ledge seats now for $100 each, which includes the buffet I think.

I've gotten calls from the ticket reps, but I've told them that the secondary market is clearly the best value for the games I would want to see.

Return to Washington Wizards