ImageImageImageImageImage

The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13)

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 30,374
And1: 722
Joined: May 23, 2002
Location: Back into the fray!
Contact:
       

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#381 » by LyricalRico » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:23 pm

DCZards wrote:
WizKid25 wrote:Concern anybody else that Brooks didn't (couldn't?) provide specifics about the offensive and defensive schemes he wants to bring?


Nah, I think he's wise to select a coaching staff and meet with his key players before going public with any specifics. There's no rush.


Agreed, especially since several "key" players aren't even on the team yet (whomever they turn out to be).
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 18,527
And1: 3,498
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#382 » by 80sballboy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Again, now we know who is in charge of EVERYTHING-even player and coaching personnel moves.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725403626487861248[/tweet]


[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725406426005430274[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725405298345795586[/tweet]
80sballboy
RealGM
Posts: 18,527
And1: 3,498
Joined: Jul 15, 2006
       

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#383 » by 80sballboy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:58 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725412005021126656[/tweet]
User avatar
Dark Faze
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,762
And1: 1,653
Joined: Dec 27, 2008

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#384 » by Dark Faze » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:31 pm

im confused
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 13,996
And1: 7,042
Joined: Feb 25, 2009

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#385 » by montestewart » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Dark Faze wrote:im confused

Wizards have the best ownership, the best management, and the best damn journalist in the business reporting on them. What's the confusion?
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 8,946
And1: 2,238
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#386 » by keynote » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:04 pm

80sballboy wrote:Again, now we know who is in charge of EVERYTHING-even player and coaching personnel moves.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725403626487861248[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725406426005430274[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/JMichaelCSN/status/725405298345795586[/tweet]


Well, obviously -- on one level, EG multiple reports to Ted, and Ted is ultimately accountable for every success and failure of the franchise. But I don't think we can read these tweets and assume that Ted picked Brooks and ordered EG to hire him (say, over EG's protestations). It's just as likely that EG presented Ted with a short list of one candidate, and Ted said "You're my basketball guy and I trust you. Go get it done."
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
User avatar
Dark Faze
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,762
And1: 1,653
Joined: Dec 27, 2008

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#387 » by Dark Faze » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:03 am

after listening to his media tour today, I'm a lot more confident about how much Brooks was responsible for the elite player development that went on in OKC during his tenure
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 15,851
And1: 5,058
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#388 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:26 am

WizTom wrote:
payitforward wrote:
WizTom wrote:
Actually, PIF, your spelling is not accurate.

"Verkocht" or "verkochte" would translate to "cooked."

It should be "verkackte", the German word root being "die Kacke."

That's the children-present version of the English "poo-poo," which one would use instead of "die Scheisse," or "sh#t."

Although, it must be said, people use "Scheisse" much more conversationally in Germany than people use "sh#t" in the USA.

"Verschissen" is also used to mean "screwed-up" as in, "You really blew it." Literally, it means you sh#t yourself.

Either way, it's applicable to the Wizards' so-called "process" in hiring a new coach. Self-cooked. Self-sh#tted. Whatever. Or both. First you cook yourself. Then you sh#t yourself. That's the Wizards' way!

#FireEFG

Edit:
Whoops. Queridiculo got on it quicker and clearer than I did. But my point remains.

#FireEFG


Yes, you have said the same thing as Queridiculo, and like Queridiculo you failed to read these words in my post above: "Yiddish is actually written using Hebrew letters."

There is no accurate or inaccurate way of "spelling" Yiddish using Roman letters. Whatever you do, all you are doing is trying to "transliterate" -- i.e. to capture the *sound* not the *sense.*

That said, you are correct that it's more often transliterated w/ a "k" than an "h."

Please, It's Fatiguing.

Unfortunately for both of us, I did read your post. I'll try to avoid that in the future.

I did not, however, say anything about Hebrew, Yiddish, spelling Yiddish words using the Roman alphabet, or transliteration. I'm not an expert on any of them. But I am fluent in German, the language from which you referenced the word root of your incorrect transliteration. I simply pointed out the inaccuracy of your post about the German word.

Kacke, indeed.

#FireEFG

Good idea; I'll pass on your posts as well. I'm glad to hear you are fluent in German -- which was my first language, btw.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 15,851
And1: 5,058
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#389 » by payitforward » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:39 am

Brooks has had success; there's not much reason to take against him at this point. But nothing in what Ted said sounds like any change in how personnel decisions will be made.

"We like our core" sounds to me like they are happy w/ Beal. It's likely we'll get a chance to see how that turns out -- i.e. that we'll max him or match any offer.

Ted is very happy with himself it seems. I'm glad for him; that's nice. But we Wizards fans are going to have to brace ourselves for another bad time just like the previous bad time (engineered by the same FO). Whatever happens, at least we can be sure it won't be Ted's fault.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,465
And1: 510
Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#390 » by Sluggerface » Mon May 2, 2016 3:05 am

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2016/04/but-what-about-scott-brooks-analytics-and-the-children-of-course.html

Brooks on the “million-dollar question,” as phrased by the Washington Post’s Jorge Castillo: “Analytics.”
“I never really focused on other teams and what they do, analytically, but I’ve always believed in them. I love it. I think it gives me the opportunity to improve as a coach, and I was fortunate enough that my high school coach was also our math teacher, and he believed in numbers. He taught me at a young age how important it was to make a layups. I was 4-foot-11 as a freshman in high school, and he taught me about how to make layups over bigger guys and the angle of entry, and all the other important components. Then when my senior year in college the 3-point line came, he was the first to call me and say, ‘Hey, all you have to do is shoot 33 percent (from 3) and it’s like shooting 50 percent (from 2). It’s always been in my DNA and I love it.
“I went to the MIT Sloan conference last month and the thing that I was so impressed by—and even they made fun of each other, they called it “Jocks vs. Geeks”—but the one thing, and I didn’t know this, they are a lot smarter than me, but they all share the same passion that I have with basketball. They love the game. And I always felt, it’s not a division, it’s a group. And you will never hear me say ‘those guys,’ because we’re all in it together and I think it’s important.
“And being around their group (Wizards ownership and front office) yesterday, I’ve learned that I have a lot to learn going forward. I wanted to stay in these little virtual reality goggles that they had me in. I went through a playbook and it was really like cool stuff that I’ve never seen before. And they had it last season. And the things that Ted believes in, that Ernie believes in, I’m here to learn. I want to get better. I want to get do what’s best for our group of guys. So, to make a long answer shorter, I love it (analytics). I think it’s going to continue to develop and you just have to figure out what’s best for each player.
“One thing I do know is that you can never replace the metrics with the person, and it’s about people, it’s about players but the numbers can enhance and help them improve as players.”
Brooks on what from Sloan stood out to him:
“They had some software programs that were dissecting pick-and-roll play that was really like cool stuff, and my son’s 19-years-old and is constantly telling me this. Because he’s like all—his age group, text savvy—and he always tells me, ‘Dad, you’re not ready for this next-level thinking.’ And he reminds me of my age constantly, and my daughter’s the same way.
“At the conference it was a lot of great things that they are establishing and going to implement going into the future. But I loved my time there, and I told them I hope I don’t have to go back because it’s during the basketball season, I want to be busy, year in and year out during that time, but I loved my time spending two or three days there.”


Geez Scotty. At least wine me and dine me before you f*** me.
User avatar
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,588
And1: 1,137
Joined: Jan 25, 2013
     

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#391 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon May 2, 2016 7:11 pm

Why don't they have the sloan conference during the summer?
User avatar
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,588
And1: 1,137
Joined: Jan 25, 2013
     

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#392 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon May 2, 2016 7:23 pm

I was already on board with the Brooks hire before it happened. He's won me over even more since. I think I can see why his players respond well to him, why they seem to love playing for him. He truly cares about them. And he keeps an open mind and doesn't seem to have an ego at all. And the job isn't too big for him. I think he's better about focusing on a long term vision than Randy was, and I don't think he's going to have the same kind of baggage about Nene and playing favorites in the locker room that undercut Randy's credibility.

He's getting a better deal than Randy did too. The roster is so much further along than it was in 2012. Wall is an All Star. Beal and Porter are going into years four and five, they're ready for as big a role as you can give them. He's got Morris at PF, and while he's not as good as Nene was, his health is a lot more reliable. And while he is a combustible personality, it's not like Nene wasn't difficult. And he's also going to get the tail end of Gortat's prime years to start out with.

His contract also gives him a lot more security than Randy ever got.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for a two or three seed like I did last season, but I think this year could be a pleasant surprise for once. If ever there was a chance for us to finally crack 50 wins, I think it's now.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,856
And1: 1,928
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#393 » by pcbothwel » Mon May 2, 2016 7:43 pm

Yeah, I think Ted wants to truly see what he has in the Wall, Beal, Otto trio. I know some of us (including myself) have been frustrated with the stagnation of their progress. But Wittman is a "C" grade coach overall and "D" grade coach for developing young players.

Ted wants to see if Brooks can get these guys to the next level, because I think he is game to blow it all up if Brooks cant do it. I actually somewhat agree with this strategy.
User avatar
Hypnotizer
Rookie
Posts: 1,060
And1: 265
Joined: Oct 28, 2013
 

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#394 » by Hypnotizer » Tue May 3, 2016 8:25 pm

pcbothwel wrote:(...)
Ted wants to see if Brooks can get these guys to the next level, because I think he is game to blow it all up if Brooks cant do it. I actually somewhat agree with this strategy.


Ted & Ernie are sure about Brooks. You don't give 5-year deal to someone you don't believe he's the right piece of the puzzle. Especially hired so quickly like they did.

And I like it, Scotty really is very good coach, so you don't wanna lure other teams in job-talks. Sometimes hurry is the best advisor. That's why I disagree with those of us who tell there should be other investigations, interviews with other available coaches.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,856
And1: 1,928
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#395 » by pcbothwel » Tue May 3, 2016 9:01 pm

I agree that "Ted & Ernie are sure about Brooks". But disagree on two other points:

1) They are not sure about Wall and Beal. Ted hired Brooks as a second set of eyes to make sure. No reason to trade Wall and let Beal walk if you're not sure. But if they dont make the leap under Brooks, I dont see Wall making it to FA with us.

2) A proper FO could have begun the head coaching search after the Trade Deadline. At the very least the primitive/initial steps of getting a solid 10-15 name list. Then when it became clear that Wittman was going to be gone we should of started talking to these guys. Remember, we won 5 straight in the middle of March and then proceeded to lose 4 of 5 that was capped off with a TERRIBLE loss to the Kings. Right then and there EG new he was going to fire Wittman and that was March 30th (Though he probably decided weeks before). That gives us 3 weeks (21 days) until the Brooks deal was rumored. Plenty of time to look at Atkinson, Nate Tibbetts, Kevin Ollie, Ettore Messina, or Sean Miller.

I like Brooks, but come on man... Do your damn job EG. Even if Ted wanted Brooks, You can still make one phone call and have one interview with someone else. Hell, Lie to us Ernie...Lie to us and tell us "We talked to a range of potential coaches and began a series of discussions with a couple, but ultimately thought Brooks was the Best."
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 15,851
And1: 5,058
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#396 » by payitforward » Tue May 3, 2016 9:09 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Ted wants to see if Brooks can get these guys to the next level, because I think he is game to blow it all up if Brooks cant do it...

Wait... you think this because you've been meeting w/ Ted, right?

No, you haven't met with him?

Oh... so how do you know what Ted wants to see? Where did you get the idea that "he is game to blow it all up if Brooks can't do it"?
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
gambitx777
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,693
And1: 673
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#397 » by gambitx777 » Tue May 3, 2016 9:15 pm

So teds running the show after all..... and EG is nothing but a puppet holding on to his job and doing what he is told. Interesting.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,856
And1: 1,928
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
     

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#398 » by pcbothwel » Tue May 3, 2016 9:35 pm

payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Ted wants to see if Brooks can get these guys to the next level, because I think he is game to blow it all up if Brooks cant do it...

Wait... you think this because you've been meeting w/ Ted, right?

No, you haven't met with him?

Oh... so how do you know what Ted wants to see? Where did you get the idea that "he is game to blow it all up if Brooks can't do it"?


Nice out of context pull. You realize I started that post with "I Think Ted Wants to See..."

I dont meet with Ted. I simply use what he has done and what he has said. To me, I see the following (Objectively, As I disagree with some of, but it is what I think Teds plan is) and can point out how these relate to his "10 point Plan"

1) He bought the Wiz and had a "Plan" to get high lotto picks with young talent and have them grow for 3-5 years.
Commit to building around the draft. Invest in scouting, development, and a system. Articulate that system and stay with it so that all players feel comfortable-- know the language-- know what is expected of them-- read the Oriole Way*. It worked and it is a great tutorial. Draft players that fit the system, not the best player. Draft the best player for the system. Don't deviate or get seduced by agents, media demands, or by just stats or hype. Envision how this player will slide into your system.


2) Use their rookie contracts and the rising cap to find a point in time when they were ready to compete and find a star FA.
Be patient with young players-- throw them in the pool to see if they can swim. Believe in them. Show them loyalty. Re-sign the best young players to long term high priced deals. Show the players you are very loyal to them as compared to free agents who achieved highly for another team. Teach them. Celebrate their successes. Use failures as a way to teach and improve. Coaches must be tough but kind to build confidence.


Still with me? ...

3) He didnt fire EG because "He stuck to the plan". Again, I disagree, but we see his mindset.
Make sure the GM, coach, owner and business folks are on the EXACT same page as to deliverables, metrics of success, ultimate goal, process and measured outcomes.


4) He hired a head coach that has coach big games/finals games and is known for pushing/communicating with young players and making them better. And this is important because it brings us to what Ted has as No. 1 in his plan.
Ask yourself the big question: "Can this team--as constructed--ever win a championship?" If the answer is yes -- stay the course and try to find the right formula -- if the answer is no, then plan to rebuild. Don't fake it--really do the analytics and be brutally honest. Once you have your answer, develop the game plan to try to REALLY win a championship. Always run away from experts that say, "We are just one player away." Recognize there is no easy and fast systemic fix. It will be a bumpy ride--have confidence in the plan--"trust and verify: the progress -- but don't deviate from the plan."


For him to answer that question, he needs to find out what Wall and Beal truly are as players. We are generally pessimistic as a board, but even we arent sure as Wall has months as an elite player and Beal has shown some of the same. He needed to provide his young players with someone who can get the best out of them. He also needs to see what the cap space can be.

Again... I am not a big fan of Ted and cant stand EG. I am simply pointing out how the actions of the last 5 years relate to his plan and how I BELIEVE he sees this upcoming season and a half as the time to blow it up or not.
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 8,946
And1: 2,238
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#399 » by keynote » Tue May 3, 2016 9:38 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Why don't they have the sloan conference during the summer?


I'm guessing because the B-school students are off on their internships (or have graduated).
If my son makes the NBA, I'd probably act *exactly* like LaVar Ball: *insufferable*. Pray for me.
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 15,851
And1: 5,058
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#400 » by payitforward » Wed May 4, 2016 1:19 am

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Ted wants to see if Brooks can get these guys to the next level, because I think he is game to blow it all up if Brooks cant do it...

Wait... you think this because you've been meeting w/ Ted, right?

No, you haven't met with him?

Oh... so how do you know what Ted wants to see? Where did you get the idea that "he is game to blow it all up if Brooks can't do it"?


Nice out of context pull. You realize I started that post with "I Think Ted Wants to See..."...

Ooops -- you are quite correct. I didn't notice the relationship between the paragraphs. My bad!
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.

Return to Washington Wizards