ImageImageImageImageImage

The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Bernie
Ballboy
And1: 5

Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#461 » by Bernie » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:43 am

Give credit to the coaching staff for improving the clutch play. Early in the season, there was just chaos and confusion. Now in december the Wiz are playing very well in that kind of situations.

October and November: ORt 88,9 and DRt 101,7 -> 19th NetRt (41min)
in December: ORt 117,9 and DRt 74,1 -> 2nd NetRtg (34min)

http://stats.nba.com/teams/clutch-advanced/#!?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateTo=12%2F22%2F2016&DateFrom=12%2F01%2F2016
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,824

Post#462 » by tontoz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:53 am

Ordinarily i don't make a big deal about coaching but i have to say i have been very impressed with Brooks so far. When i see so many things going right i have to think there is something behind it.

First there was Porter/Beal/Wall having breakout seasons. Then it was Oubre suddenly becoming an important contributor. Now it seems like Morris is starting to show signs of life.

Some have already noticed the improvement in his scoring. Before tonights game he was averaging 15.8 ppg in January with a TS of 55.8%, both season bests. He is shooting more 3s and driving when he gets run off the line. But the stat that really jumps out at me is rebounding. He is averaging 8.4 rebounds per game this month compared to 5.85 the last two months. That is a big jump.

We have also seen noticeable improvement in Jason Smith's play. He was a disaster in November but has been fairly respectable the last two months.

It will be interesting to see if this improved play is just a sss fluke or if they can continue to be more effective offensively.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#463 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:59 am

tontoz wrote:Ordinarily i don't make a big deal about coaching but i have to say i have been very impressed with Brooks so far. When i see so many things going right i have to think there is something behind it.

First there was Porter/Beal/Wall having breakout seasons. Then it was Oubre suddenly becoming an important contributor. Now it seems like Morris is starting to show signs of life.

Some have already noticed the improvement in his scoring. Before tonights game he was averaging 15.8 ppg in January with a TS of 55.8%, both season bests. He is shooting more 3s and driving when he gets run off the line. But the stat that really jumps out at me is rebounding. He is averaging 8.4 rebounds per game this month compared to 5.85 the last two months. That is a big jump.

We have also seen noticeable improvement in Jason Smith's play. He was a disaster in November but has been fairly respectable the last two months.

It will be interesting to see if this improved play is just a sss fluke or if they can continue to be more effective offensively.

Agreed. I'm still not all that sure if I'd characterize him as a particularly great X's and O's coach, but he sure seems to do a nice job in player development - getting guys to do what they do best, only better.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#464 » by DCZards » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:07 am

tontoz wrote:Ordinarily i don't make a big deal about coaching but i have to say i have been very impressed with Brooks so far. When i see so many things going right i have to think there is something behind it.

Been thinking the same thing about Brooks. We're seeing steady improvement from the core of Wall, Beal, Oubre, Porter and Morris. I just have to believe a lot of it has to do with Scott, who arrived in DC with a reputation of being a good player development coach.

In time I expect to see similar development from McCellan and Sato, which bodes well for the future.
SizzlinSimms
Junior
And1: 55

Post#465 » by SizzlinSimms » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:38 am

I can't say for certain, or really have any facts or sources to back it up, but I think the players mesh and respond well to Brooks, more so than Wittman. Wittman was known to be a veterans coach or potentially a hardass at times. I think Brooks attempts to relate to the players more so and have an actual relationship with them, potentially why he's so good with younger players.

At the beginning of the season, I'll admit we were going to be awful, but I'm so glad things have turned around. The high PnR with Gortat, the whole Beal and Wall thriving and driving more often, Porter being one of the most efficient shooters, Morris playing well, Gortat settling for a lesser role but thriving in it, Oubre slowly becoming better, the bench doing better after that extreme horrible November. I've been really impressed with Jason Smith recently.

Personally I'm very satisfied with the Brooks hire.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#466 » by JWizmentality » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:47 am

Co-sign. I like that he doesn't play favorites with the bench, except for that weird Thornton fetish earlier. However, it seems like he is just as advertised. Great player development (Wall, Beal, Porter....Morris, Oubre?) but not so much of an XOs coach (end of game offense).
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#467 » by bondom34 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:12 am

Just here to say told you so. :P

bondom34 wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know if you get Brooks, he's a solid coach. Here was my quote from a Wiz fan who asked on reddit:

He was excellent with player development and getting guys to buy in. Loyal to his players and always had the team playing hard, they never quit. He had a team with a bunch of 10 day contracts last season hanging in tight games because they defended well and were rarely outworked. His offense was unimaginative but if you've got talent offensively on the roster it isn't an issue. I didn't like the firing then and still don't though I know most here disagree.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#468 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Feb 1, 2017 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#469 » by sashae » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Credit where credit is due, I was super dubious about Brooks' hiring and skills developing players, but the entire roster is playing better this year, and in general Brooks seems to be putting people in positions to succeed. His trajectory reminds me a bit of Rick Carlisle, who had success and then a down year in Indy, and then won a championship in Dallas. Hopefully his path is the same here!
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#470 » by BigA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: RE: Re: The Next Coach (SCOTT BROOKS HIRED pg.13) 

Post#471 » by Tricky_Kid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for sharing it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#472 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:02 pm

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Re: The Next Coach Thread 

Post#473 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:30 am

keynote wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:
keynote wrote:I'm fine with it. The only thing that gives me pause is the prospect of EG getting a 5-year extension to sync things up. (shudder)

I think Brooks holds Ernie's fate in his hands this season. If he bombs and the team doesn't improve, then I think it'll be Ernie that gets the axe this time. It depends on the guarantees in Brooks's contract, but with how much money he's getting, I think he'll have the safest HC job in the NBA for the next five years.

Aldridge already reported that all five years are guaranteed. So, if things go south enough to merit a shakeup, Ted would either have to fire both EG and Brooks (and eat the rest of Brooks' sizable contract), or fire EG and hope that the next GM is fine with keeping Brooks -- who, in this scenario, would be coaching a team that isn't performing to expectations. The latter is is a dicey proposition, and would affect Ted's ability to recruit a topflight GM replacement.

The length and size of Brooks' contract gives EG more security, not less.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: #SoWizards
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#474 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:34 am

closg00 wrote:What an org, Grunfeld will probably get to ride on this 5-years too. In typical Wizards fashion they rush-in with a small di__ck offer.
Now to sit-back and wait to see who Ernie rush's to panic-sign when KD says he ain't comin. Welcome Scott.

Well, Grunfeld lasted 3 years :lol:

Then his #2 finessed the interim GM title into permanent :lol:

Ah this shid never ends
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#475 » by Jimmy Recard » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,879

Post#476 » by Frichuela » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:15 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:
Read on Twitter

Brooks is a moron and a big liability. This is crystal clear after 5 years of watching his bad coaching...

Having said that, the problems start at the top with Ted. During his ownership tenure the Wiz have the 21st record in the NBA. And this was before this season...and despite lucking into Wall and Beal in 2010 and 2012.

https://hoopshype.com/2020/04/13/ranking-nba-owners-winning-record/
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#477 » by Endless Loop » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:08 pm

How is it even remotely possible that the Wizards could still be so dysfunctional?

According to Forbes, the Wizards team is worth $1.8 billion (as of 2021). In the end, this value is generated by the efforts of 15 well-paid professionals, who in turn are, in the case of the Wizards, managed by a head coach with 8 assistant coaches. That works out fewer than 2 players per coach. The coaching staff is presumably overseen by the general manager- unless that guy's mission does not include managing the coaching staff, but only talent scouting. And finally, last year Ted added a bunch of depth to the organization, including Sashi Brown, Harvard Law School grad with all kinds of pro franchise management experience.

Are we really to believe that in this impressive organization, nobody realized that maybe helping the 15 most important corporate employees understand their roles and responsibilities matters?

Either Brown is BS'ing and in fact he just didn't understand his role (same for Otto Porter), or this business is the biggest cluster*** I have seen in my life.

Roles and responsibilities, and then systems to measure and control the most important factors for success. This may be the NBA, but that's how you succeed in any for-profit business.

If all this is really true, then ultimately it's Ted's fault for not putting in place those systems to make sure everybody was doing what they should.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#478 » by queridiculo » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:02 pm

Endless Loop wrote:How is it even remotely possible that the Wizards could still be so dysfunctional?

According to Forbes, the Wizards team is worth $1.8 billion (as of 2021). In the end, this value is generated by the efforts of 15 well-paid professionals, who in turn are, in the case of the Wizards, managed by a head coach with 8 assistant coaches. That works out fewer than 2 players per coach. The coaching staff is presumably overseen by the general manager- unless that guy's mission does not include managing the coaching staff, but only talent scouting. And finally, last year Ted added a bunch of depth to the organization, including Sashi Brown, Harvard Law School grad with all kinds of pro franchise management experience.

Are we really to believe that in this impressive organization, nobody realized that maybe helping the 15 most important corporate employees understand their roles and responsibilities matters?

Either Brown is BS'ing and in fact he just didn't understand his role (same for Otto Porter), or this business is the biggest cluster*** I have seen in my life.

Roles and responsibilities, and then systems to measure and control the most important factors for success. This may be the NBA, but that's how you succeed in any for-profit business.

If all this is really true, then ultimately it's Ted's fault for not putting in place those systems to make sure everybody was doing what they should.

All you have to do is parse Ted Leonsis press releases and twitter/blog musings and it becomes clear pretty quickly why the Wizards are caught in this cycle of never ending mediocrity.

Out of touch, unwilling to reflect, and absolutely convinced that they're on the right track or just a break away from having a major breakthrough.

Washington's basketball franchise consistently manages to externalize the root cause for its consistent shortcomings.

There are no mea culpa's, no my bad's just reassurances of what we do works, and hey look at the big brain on Ted's.

Leonsis will try to convince you that he's a business maven when history clearly isn't on his side. He was one of the biggest cheerleaders of a strategic decision that made AOLs demise all but certain.

There seems to be an unwavering faith in the organizations ability to right itself that's based largely on wishful thinking that reflects what appears to Leonsis core tenet, if Ted wills it'll happen.

Dissenting voices and visions are noise and if you're just going to stick to (Ted's) plan, good things are going to happen.

Ted Leonsis will try to convince you that he's the big Kahuna, but the way he conducts franchise affairs is eerily similar to the mom and pop mindset of the previous owner.

How else can you champion a process that calls for a young core being built around your franchise player, yet leave in place a lame duck coach who could care less about how some of the young guys on this roster are going to play for another coach a few years down the road?

The reason is pretty simple.

Leonsis does not give a **** and he's not going to spend a buck more than absolutely necessary.

I am convinced that if it had been up to him he never would have bought the Wizards. The fallout between Jordan and Pollin wasn't necessarily something he had planned for, no doubt in my mind that it was Jordan that was supposed to take over that franchise and Leonsis has simply been doing his best to monetize this investment since.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#479 » by payitforward » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:51 pm

I don't have any idea whether he gives a **** or not, but he has demonstrated time & again that he doesn't know ****. No question about that.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards