ImageImageImageImageImage

Andrew Nicholson, 4-yr $26M

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Re: Andrew Nicholson, 4-yr $26M 

Post#101 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:09 pm

It really is crazy how EG step on himself. The Sato deal, Nicholson deal, and Burke deal look like savvy moves. The Mahinmi deal, while large, will prove to be a good deal when Monroe gets 4/80M+ next year and Bogut gets 3/50M.

But Smith getting 3/15M looks ridiculous with the contracts Jordan Hill, Acy, Hump, Dedmon, and Sullinger got.
With our lack of cap space moving foward, Non-Guaranteed contracts would be immensely valuable in any trade. If we gave him a 2/12M deal with the 2nd year guaranteed for something like 500k (Think Ilyasova contract), that would allow us to use him as filler in a trade
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#102 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:21 pm

Nene at like $5 mil for a yr & Boban Marjanovic at $8 mil over 3 yrs. Thatwould have been really nice C combo off the bench. It would have allowed for Nene who was very effective when he played to avoid back to backs and inevitably saved him for a playoff run.

At PF, I may have just settled for Brandon Bass for the lack of any real value among other guys at his position. I liked Deng but he got paid a ton and Boston held on to Amir which were my top two choices. Bass signed for the minimum with the Clippers after arguably being the Lakers most effective player last season. Then I'd of scooped up Christian Wood before Charlotte jumped on him.

CE Gortat / Nene / Marjanovic
PF Morris / Bass / Wood
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Andrew Nicholson, 4-yr $26M 

Post#103 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
DCZards wrote:
PT doesn't always equate to ability, PIF, and a smart guy like you knows that. Last offseason, the same Orlando team let Moe Harkless walk after giving him very little playing time. Harkless went out to Portland and had a very good season coming off the Blazers bench. It's all about getting an opportunity.

BTW, the 33-win Sac Kings just gave away your boy Seth Curry. Does that mean Seth can't play?

With respect to playing time, there are several bigs now and all cannot play. Assuming Gortat and Morris start at C and PF respectively, minutes have to be split now among Mahinmi ($16M per year--more than Gortat earns), Nicholson, and Smith.

Andrew Nicholson won't play much this year, either, most likely.

I expect Nicholson is etched into the backup PF role and will get anywhere from 15-20 minutes a night. Smith is moreso a C at this stage of his career. I really don't understand the Smith signing other than Ernie just has a love for slow plodding stocky bigs who are very good mid range shooters (Songalia, Humphries & now Smith). I don't see how Smith gets any minutes unless we have injuries.

Smith behind Gortat and Mahinmi shows how dumb EG is. Three guys around thirty taking up a huge percentage of the cap at one spot.

Ochefu?

Likewise, taking two Orlando players who competed for minutes last season; who will each play less than Gortat, Mahinmi, and Morris is also dumb. Nicholson, okay. Not both!

Humprhies/Blair
Ariza/Webster
Porter/Oubre

All these conflicting competitions for minutes. Don't create internal rivalries with similar role or experience. Great teams don't do this!

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Andrew Nicholson, 4-yr $26M 

Post#104 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:11 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
DCZards wrote:
PT doesn't always equate to ability, PIF, and a smart guy like you knows that. Last offseason, the same Orlando team let Moe Harkless walk after giving him very little playing time. Harkless went out to Portland and had a very good season coming off the Blazers bench. It's all about getting an opportunity.

BTW, the 33-win Sac Kings just gave away your boy Seth Curry. Does that mean Seth can't play?

With respect to playing time, there are several bigs now and all cannot play. Assuming Gortat and Morris start at C and PF respectively, minutes have to be split now among Mahinmi ($16M per year--more than Gortat earns), Nicholson, and Smith.

Andrew Nicholson won't play much this year, either, most likely.

I disagree. Gortat and Ian are going to split minutes at the 5, neither of them will play 4, and they will eat all the minutes at the 5 unless one of them fouls out or gets hurt. Smith is insurance. In the event of injury to Gortat, Ian, Morris, or Nicholson. Morris and Nicholson will get most of the minutes at the PF spot unless is does not work out. Then they will experiment with Smith at the 4 and Otto playing 4. Im thinking 25-30 a night for morris, and 20 a game or so for nicholson at least no less than 15 a game. I think nicholson will play well here, Both wall and Tomas will be really really good for him!.

Gortat and Mahimi splitting minutes guarantees playing time dissatisfaction.

Wait and see.

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#105 » by dangermouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:48 am

Resurrecting the thread

This is related to Nicholson, because he just happened to be in the video I watched of him knocking down corner threes (a great thing and one of his strengths, so I sure hope he gets plenty of minutes to get those looks from Wall ala Ariza).

Now, he was chilling on the arc, catching very easy passes thrown from straight under the basket, and drilling them shot after shot. Impressive as that might seem, would it not be FAR more beneficial to have these shots being drilled into him in actual game-like scenarios? No defender running at him. The pass was coming from an angle and at a speed that was probably a bit unrealistic compared to a full speed, real game...

Now of course, im not seeing ALL of his workouts, just this cherry picked example up on Twitter. If he is just working on his form and getting some shots up post-real-workout, then hey thats fine. But if thats me, I want the conditions to be as close to a full speed game as possible, including having a defender there trying to stop me and passes whipped to me from a variety of realistic angles.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#106 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:53 am

Has anybody put an APB out on this guy yet?

This has to be some kind of record for the most DNP-CD's for a guy who is healthy and was just signed to a $26M contract.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#107 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:58 am

nate33 wrote:Has anybody put an APB out on this guy yet?

This has to be some kind of record for the most DNP-CD's for a guy who is healthy and was just signed to a $26M contract.

Rondo may catch him who signed a 2 year $28 million contract.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#108 » by TGW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Kanyewest wrote:

Nah...Rondo is playing. Rondu sucks...but he's playing.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Re: RE: Re: Andrew Nicholson, 4-yr $26M 

Post#109 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:47 pm

TGW wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

Nah...Rondo is playing. Rondu sucks...but he's playing.

Rondo only played 6 minutes in his last game, so there is a chance as long as Butler and Wade stay healthy.

Sent from my LG-D851 using RealGM mobile app
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#110 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:35 am

Rafael122 wrote:Dude majored in psychics, so he probably uses that stuff to his advantage when it comes to spacing.

You mean like he can read the opponents' minds :lol:

Orlwillbeback wrote:You will love this guy. Not totally for basketball reasons, but you love him regardless lol.

Are you sure? What's the reason?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#111 » by queridiculo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:07 am

A first rounder well spent.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#112 » by BigA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:14 am

queridiculo wrote:A first rounder well spent.

Good times.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Re: RE: Re: Andrew Nicholson, 4-yr $26M 

Post#113 » by Tricky_Kid » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am

queridiculo wrote:A first rounder well spent.

For which scrub we lose another one?
Ernie is like

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#114 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm

pcbothwel wrote:...The Sato deal, Nicholson deal, and Burke deal look like savvy moves. The Mahinmi deal, while large, will prove to be a good deal when Monroe gets 4/80M+ next year and Bogut gets 3/50M.

But Smith getting 3/15M looks ridiculous with the contracts Jordan Hill, Acy, Hump, Dedmon, and Sullinger got.
With our lack of cap space moving foward, Non-Guaranteed contracts would be immensely valuable in any trade. If we gave him a 2/12M deal with the 2nd year guaranteed for something like 500k (Think Ilyasova contract), that would allow us to use him as filler in a trade

Someone bumped this thread, and I'm quoting the post that happened still be visible starting the final page.

In fairness, I didn't like giving Smith 3 guaranteed years for $15m either -- & still don't: it wasn't particularly "savvy" even in retrospect. But it sure as H#ll wasn't as bad as acquiring Nicholson & Burke.

No the Nicholson deal was not "savvy," it was awful -- as I said it was back then & repeatedly.

No, the Burke deal was not "savvy" either, it too was awful -- as I said it was back then & repeatedly.

Was the Sato deal "savvy?" Well, it was better than those other two! & better than having wasted a pick that could have got us Draymond Green or Jae Crowder without even seeing what our guy can do. Beyond that, though... the jury is still out.

How about Mahinmi? Did "the Mahinmi deal, while large, ...prove to be a good deal"?

This is how you wind up thinking it's a good idea to sign Mike Scott. Almost certainly, as with Nicholson & Burke once we signed them, this will be Mike Scott's last year in the NBA.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#115 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:09 pm

And then there was this, again about Nicholson:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:But he could also play some stretch 5 and cause havoc. He's 6'9-6'10, 240 lbs, with a 7'4 wingspan. He can shoot the three ball at a 35% clip and his post moves are elite:

He abused KAT, Dieng, B. Lopez, etc.

Yes, he did. On his highlight reel. Everybody has a highlight reel, and everybody abuses everybody else on their highlight reel.

In the end, this is a guy Orlando gave away, didn't bother extending a qualifying offer to. In his 4th year in the league he managed to earn 823 minute of PT for a 35 win team.

In other words I was correct about Nicholson & then I was correct about Seth Curry -- what a contradiction, huh?

Hey, I am wrong sometimes too. & I try to make a point of coming back & admitting it when I'm wrong. Feel free to remind me of some players I said would be good but turned out bad (I wouldn't choose Seth Curry, Zards). Or of one or more players I said would be bad who turned out instead to be good.

I'll help you: I thought Seraphin was a good pick; I thought he had a chance to be very very good & was likely to be at least ok. I was wrong.

Either of you two want to say that you were incorrect in your judgment of Nicholson? That you were wrong in how you assessed the Burke deal?

How about next year, when as it turned out Mike Scott was a bust?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#116 » by DCZards » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:13 pm

payitforward wrote:
In other words I was correct about Nicholson & then I was correct about Seth Curry -- what a contradiction, huh?

Hey, I am wrong sometimes too. & I try to make a point of coming back & admitting it when I'm wrong. Feel free to remind me of some players I said would be good but turned out bad (I wouldn't choose Seth Curry, Zards). Or of one or more players I said would be bad who turned out instead to be good.

I'll help you: I thought Seraphin was a good pick; I thought he had a chance to be very very good & was likely to be at least ok. I was wrong.

Either of you two want to say that you were incorrect in your judgment of Nicholson? That you were wrong in how you assessed the Burke deal?

Slow summer for you, pif? :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#117 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:51 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Slow summer for you, pif? :)

LOL -- I guess! Or, rather, no it's not: I have a lot to do -- this is my way of avoiding doing it!
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Post#118 » by AFM » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:52 pm

It's the PIF self congratulatory tour!!!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#119 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 pm

AFM wrote:It's the PIF self congratulatory tour!!!

...by popular demand, my man. Ima change my handle to Popular. That's Sir Popular to you!
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#120 » by DCZards » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 pm

TBH, pif, I must say that I was wrong and you were absolutely right when it comes to both Nicholson and Burke. Nicholson was an outright bum and I simply didn't realize that Burke was such a bad playmaker, especially for an alleged PG. But, as you know, my default is always to see the glass as half-full.

On the other hand, I still think you undervalue Keef's contributions to the Zards. :) As you know, I firmly believe that not every thing that a player does to help a team win games can be reduced to a stat.

Return to Washington Wizards