ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6 

Post#1361 » by bsilver » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm

verbal8 wrote:I don't get the Hawks/Cavs deal. The Cavs send out 2 players the Hawks will waive. Did the Cavs include EG's favorite 2nd rounder - "Cash Considerations"?

The Cavs save lots of money, and Atlanta makes some money, and gets draft picks. From ESPN:
"A Cleveland team source with knowledge of the trade with Atlanta told ESPN the Cavs sent out $3 million cash to the Hawks and also the lesser of the Minnesota Timberwolves' and Los Angeles Lakers' 2019 second round pick as well as the Portland Trail Blazers' 2020 second round pick (protected 56-60) along with Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder. The Cavs will get back the draft rights to two "Euro stash" players in Dimitrios Agravanis and Sergii Gladyr in the deal. All told, the trade saved Cleveland $15 million in salary and tax implications, minus the $3 million cash spent, meaning $12 million in savings."
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1362 » by verbal8 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:53 am

bsilver wrote:
verbal8 wrote:I don't get the Hawks/Cavs deal. The Cavs send out 2 players the Hawks will waive. Did the Cavs include EG's favorite 2nd rounder - "Cash Considerations"?

The Cavs save lots of money, and Atlanta makes some money, and gets draft picks. From ESPN:
"A Cleveland team source with knowledge of the trade with Atlanta told ESPN the Cavs sent out $3 million cash to the Hawks and also the lesser of the Minnesota Timberwolves' and Los Angeles Lakers' 2019 second round pick as well as the Portland Trail Blazers' 2020 second round pick (protected 56-60) along with Richard Jefferson and Kay Felder. The Cavs will get back the draft rights to two "Euro stash" players in Dimitrios Agravanis and Sergii Gladyr in the deal. All told, the trade saved Cleveland $15 million in salary and tax implications, minus the $3 million cash spent, meaning $12 million in savings."

With the details about the cash the deal makes a lot more sense.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1363 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Who amongst the players cut by other teams could help Washington the most?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1364 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 pm

SA paying 72/3 for LMA at this stage of his career? I'm so used to them getting bargain contracts that this comes as a surprise - to me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1365 » by verbal8 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:SA paying 72/3 for LMA at this stage of his career? I'm so used to them getting bargain contracts that this comes as a surprise - to me.

I guess they figure this solidifies a 2 year window with essentially the current team. It wouldn't surprise me if it ends with a less than 100% guarantee in the final year.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1366 » by pcbothwel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 pm

verbal8 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:SA paying 72/3 for LMA at this stage of his career? I'm so used to them getting bargain contracts that this comes as a surprise - to me.

I guess they figure this solidifies a 2 year window with essentially the current team. It wouldn't surprise me if it ends with a less than 100% guarantee in the final year.

I think the Spurs really flopped this summer. Gay was a great pick up, but resigning Gasol and extending LMA is questionable at best. They should of just resigned Dedmon and let Gasol walk. That way they could of been serious players next offseason with a legit SG like Bradley or KCP
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1367 » by montestewart » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Surprised me too. They've had a few, RJ and Splitter come to mind, that they later regretted and had to move. Now they're locked into a highly paid Gasol/Aldridge combo through 2020. (Could give 2020 hindsight a new meaning, eh?)

Maybe they know something we don't, like Aldridge has proven ready to build upon past flashes to become a reliable 3 point threat. Or maybe they just didn't want to end up letting him go for nothing, figure his new salary is just the going rate, and it can later be exchanged for another flawed/overpaid player who meshes better with the Spurs.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#1368 » by cammac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 am

This will be a interesting year since I think the 4 top teams in the East are Cleveland, Boston, Washington and Toronto. Toronto has made a number of changes to the back-ups but only one change to the starters. Lowry, DeRozan, Powell (new starter),Ibaka and Valanciunis with a number of new backups getting a chance Wright, Vanfleet, CJ Miles, Anunoby & Poeltl they are faster and more dynamic than last years 2nd team. Plus Saikam and Nogueira for added depth. Feel that Washington and Toronto will fight it out for 3rd may the best team win.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 595

Post#1369 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 am

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Not sure if this goes here but Boston just lost Gordon Hayward this year
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1370 » by verbal8 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:33 am

montestewart wrote:

Surprised me too. They've had a few, RJ and Splitter come to mind, that they later regretted and had to move. Now they're locked into a highly paid Gasol/Aldridge combo through 2020. (Could give 2020 hindsight a new meaning, eh?)

Maybe they know something we don't, like Aldridge has proven ready to build upon past flashes to become a reliable 3 point threat. Or maybe they just didn't want to end up letting him go for nothing, figure his new salary is just the going rate, and it can later be exchanged for another flawed/overpaid player who meshes better with the Spurs.

The one Aldridge's game does seem like it will probably age well. Yeah I think what they paid is roughly the going rate.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1371 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:33 am

Gawd. Bobby Portis with the KO of Mirotic. I guess you can classify that as "other teams' moves."
In Rizzo we trust
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1372 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:34 am

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Not sure if this goes here but Boston just lost Gordon Hayward this year

Can't unsee that.

Hope he does make it all the way back.
In Rizzo we trust
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1373 » by verbal8 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:21 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Gawd. Bobby Portis with the KO of Mirotic. I guess you can classify that as "other teams' moves."

Or maybe dig up the Combat sports thread.

I wonder how long the team will suspend Portis.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1374 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:00 pm

My garsh, that's a horrible injury to Hayward - wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Good thing - not a hair out of place. What, too soon?

Seriously, I wish him a quick and complete recovery.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1375 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 am

They are saying he'll make a complete recovery, but obviously this is a huge blow.

It seems like we've had a ton of injuries already in less than a week of play, no? Teodosic out indefinitely. Valanciunas out indefinitely. Hawks kid Bembry with a fracture, etc. etc. etc.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#1376 » by zero2hero » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:10 pm

payitforward wrote:They are saying he'll make a complete recovery, but obviously this is a huge blow.

It seems like we've had a ton of injuries already in less than a week of play, no? Teodosic out indefinitely. Valanciunas out indefinitely. Hawks kid Bembry with a fracture, etc. etc. etc.

Maybe it has to do with the shortened preseason/camp? Who knows.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1377 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm

zero2hero wrote:Maybe it has to do with the shortened preseason/camp? Who knows.

It's tough to say, really, but these injuries are awful. Personally, I find it sadly hilarious in a black humor sort of way that players were rested and the NBA was having one of the healthier periods in some time, and yet fans cried foul that they weren't getting what they paid for because apparently they'd rather pay money to watch a star sit on the bench because they're hurt than watch a star sit on the bench because of rest.

This offseason, the league listens to the fans and makes it clear teams shouldn't rest players and they will sanction teams that do. To compensate, they eliminate stretches of 4 games in 5 nights and lessen back to backs but to achieve that they shorten the offseason making it tougher for players to prepare for the regular season and now we see a flurry of major injuries. I hope all those fans no longer paying to watch players on game in 10 are happier paying to watch players missing 50% or more of their season, because that's the result. The only real way to avoid this would be to shorten the season, which really should happen but won't because fans still choose to pay for tickets to a longer season for whatever reason.

I mean, I'm sure there is some coincidence in it all, but the large scale cause and effect couldn't be clearer. Honestly, they say the customer is always right, but collectively the fans are just plain wrong here and asking for the impossible and willing to sacrifice the health of the players to do it.
Bucket! Bucket!
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#1378 » by zero2hero » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
zero2hero wrote:Maybe it has to do with the shortened preseason/camp? Who knows.

It's tough to say, really, but these injuries are awful. Personally, I find it sadly hilarious in a black humor sort of way that players were rested and the NBA was having one of the healthier periods in some time, and yet fans cried foul that they weren't getting what they paid for because apparently they'd rather pay money to watch a star sit on the bench because they're hurt than watch a star sit on the bench because of rest.

This offseason, the league listens to the fans and makes it clear teams shouldn't rest players and they will sanction teams that do. To compensate, they eliminate stretches of 4 games in 5 nights and lessen back to backs but to achieve that they shorten the offseason making it tougher for players to prepare for the regular season and now we see a flurry of major injuries. I hope all those fans no longer paying to watch players on game in 10 are happier paying to watch players missing 50% or more of their season, because that's the result. The only real way to avoid this would be to shorten the season, which really should happen but won't because fans still choose to pay for tickets to a longer season for whatever reason.

I mean, I'm sure there is some coincidence in it all, but the large scale cause and effect couldn't be clearer. Honestly, they say the customer is always right, but collectively the fans are just plain wrong here and asking for the impossible and willing to sacrifice the health of the players to do it.

Yeah, the NBA is usually one of the better leagues on getting on top of issues before they bubble up to become a big deal (the NFL could take notes), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think they might be a little too reactionary when it comes to creating solutions. Like the whole idea with re-ranking the playoffs 1-16, regardless of conference. If that's the case, then they would have to make sure that all teams play each other an equal amount of time through out the season so that's it's completely fair scheduling wise. Which I'm sure would take a toll with all that cross-country travel (if that's still a thing, I know it was an issue until recently which is why they had the Finals in a 2-3-2 format)
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,017

Post#1379 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:35 pm

So for the east, is this accurate? (Team, Improved or not, Reason)
Magic, Maybe, Just can't tell
Bulls, No, Lost Wade and Butler
Cavs, No, Injury to Thomas
Celtics, No, Injury Hayward and loss of Thomas/Bradley
Hawks, No, Just a mess
Hornets, No, Addition by subtraction with Howard
Knicks, No, Even a worse mess than last year
Pacers, No, Lost George
Raptors, Same, Basically the same
Bucks, Yes, Middleton and Greek Freak improvement
Heat, Yes, More time playing together
Nets, Yes, But still a mess
Pistons, Yes, Healthy Jackson + Bradley
Sixers, Yes, But going to take a lot of time
Wizards, Yes, More time playing under same coaching system
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1380 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:51 pm

dckingsfan wrote:So for the east, is this accurate? (Team, Improved or not, Reason)
Magic, Maybe, Just can't tell
Bulls, No, Lost Wade and Butler
Cavs, No, Injury to Thomas
Celtics, No, Injury Hayward and loss of Thomas/Bradley
Hawks, No, Just a mess
Hornets, No, Addition by subtraction with Howard
Knicks, No, Even a worse mess than last year
Pacers, No, Lost George
Raptors, Same, Basically the same
Bucks, Yes, Middleton and Greek Freak improvement
Heat, Yes, More time playing together
Nets, Yes, But still a mess
Pistons, Yes, Healthy Jackson + Bradley
Sixers, Yes, But going to take a lot of time
Wizards, Yes, More time playing under same coaching system

Philly's 0-3 and coming off a 28 win season, but... it wouldn't shock me if they make the playoffs, and I think they will IF... Embid stays healthy. I'm not sure we can say it's cyclical anymore - considering how long the East has been bad.

Return to Washington Wizards