Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6 

Post#1881 » by trast66 » Sat Jul 7, 2018 9:13 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
trast66 wrote:It’s going to get expensive to keep Kelly and Sato based on LaVine and Anderson. Might be risky due to injury factor but offer them extensions now?

I’d be surprised if Sato got more than 4 years $30M on the open market

Kevin did an analysis on Oubre and said his true value is 4 years $36M. Basically a regular MLE contract.

More teams will have cap room next summer but there will be more bigger fish on the market.

The issue is teams like the Kings.

There will be teams that offer Kelly at least $15M per year. Sato probably $8M to $9M. 2019 will be shades of 2016, lots of money spent, much of it foolishly.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1882 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jul 8, 2018 1:11 am

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1883 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 1:38 am

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Here is the breakdown for the Charlotte, Chicago and Orlando trade: The Bulls acquire the $1.65M non-guaranteed contract of Julyan Stone that has a August 1 guaranteed date. If Stone is waived, the cap space for Chicago will increase to $16M in room (if the Noah Vonleh hold is released). For Charlotte, Bismack Biyombo is under contract for the next two years with a cap hit of $17M per season. The Hornets now have $120.3M in salary and are $3.4M under the tax with 14 guaranteed contracts. Orlando gets much needed guard help with the $2.69M expiring contract of Jerian Grant. Like Biyombo, Timofey Mozgov has two years left with a cap hit of $16M and $16.7M.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#1884 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jul 8, 2018 3:29 am

Wow - I actually called a trade - that the Magic would trade Biyombo. I just thought they would have to give up picks to move him.

Edit: but the last team I would have thought he would be traded to would be Charlotte. Cody Zeller and Willy Hernangomez are the future there... puzzled.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1885 » by closg00 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 11:34 am

trast66 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
trast66 wrote:It’s going to get expensive to keep Kelly and Sato based on LaVine and Anderson. Might be risky due to injury factor but offer them extensions now?

I’d be surprised if Sato got more than 4 years $30M on the open market

Kevin did an analysis on Oubre and said his true value is 4 years $36M. Basically a regular MLE contract.

More teams will have cap room next summer but there will be more bigger fish on the market.

The issue is teams like the Kings.

There will be teams that offer Kelly at least $15M per year. Sato probably $8M to $9M. 2019 will be shades of 2016, lots of money spent, much of it foolishly.

Depends on how they look this year, is Sato was more confident with his shooting I would bet more on him getting a deal in the 2-year $12M range
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1886 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 4:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
trast66
Rookie

Post#1887 » by trast66 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:44 pm

Devin Booker a max contract. Not saying Kelly will get max, but his price going up. Way up.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1888 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm just hoping that in the next CBA you get to sell players on eBay.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1889 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:57 pm

trast66 wrote:Devin Booker a max contract. Not saying Kelly will get max, but his price going up. Way up.

What does Booker's contract have to do with Oubre? Devin is a franchise player, he was getting the max no matter what..

Oubre is a role guy. He's not going to be anyone's priority in free agency. After the big FAs are off the market then he'll start geting contract offers from whatever money is left.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1890 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 8, 2018 6:58 pm

trast66 wrote:Devin Booker a max contract. Not saying Kelly will get max, but his price going up. Way up.

That might be the biggest overpay since the Summer of 2016. Booker scores a ton of points at meh efficiency, then he turns the ball over 4+ times every 40 minutes.

He may be good some day. But he hasn't been anything like good yet. TBH, he hasn't been nearly as good as Oubre.

If Oubre is valued in a related way to Devin Booker, then it's time to trade him for picks, etc.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1891 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:03 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

What does Booker's contract have to do with Oubre? Devin is a franchise player, he was getting the max no matter what..

Oubre is a role guy. He's not going to be anyone's priority in free agency. After the big FAs are off the market then he'll start geting contract offers from whatever money is left.

The idea of Devin Booker as a franchise player astonishes me.

I'll stipulate that he shoots a lot & scores a lot -- the latter with no great efficiency. Now tell me something else he does if you don't mind.

A team that goes 21-61 doesn't have a franchise player. I would have thought that was obvious.
trast66
Rookie

Post#1892 » by trast66 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:20 pm

payitforward wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

The idea of Devin Booker as a franchise player astonishes me.

I'll stipulate that he shoots a lot & scores a lot -- the latter with no great efficiency. Now tell me something else he does if you don't mind.

A team that goes 21-61 doesn't have a franchise player. I would have thought that was obvious.

I agree with you, so what does this do to Kelly’s value? Booker should improve if he even tries on defense (he’s was one of the worst defenders at guard I recall seeing last year). But I think in two years Kelly will be recognized as a better player than Booker.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1893 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 8:35 pm

payitforward wrote:

That might be the biggest overpay since the Summer of 2016. Booker scores a ton of points at meh efficiency, then he turns the ball over 4+ times every 40 minutes.

He may be good some day. But he hasn't been anything like good yet. TBH, he hasn't been nearly as good as Oubre.

If Oubre is valued in a related way to Devin Booker, then it's time to trade him for picks, etc.

I mean, Booker is obviously not worth that money in terms of on-court production to date . But he’s still young, a marketable/flashy player and pretty much the only reason anyone would ever buy a ticket to watch that Suns team play. No one should be surprised that he got a max deal.

Oubre is coming off the bench for us. If he was a starter on a rebuilding team and got to put up a ton of shots, he’d probably be more popular but still nowhere near getting a max offer.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1894 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:13 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interesting, so if they basically just get Saric and picks does that mean rebuild? Would LMA be next on the block?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1895 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 8, 2018 10:41 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Interesting, so if they basically just get Saric and picks does that mean rebuild? Would LMA be next on the block?

Spurs history tells me no. Pop still has 2 years left on his contract. LMA signed a contract extension.

They've missed the playoffs 4 times in 41 years. :o
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1896 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:01 am

FAH1223 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spurs history tells me no. Pop still has 2 years left on his contract. LMA signed a contract extension.

They've missed the playoffs 4 times in 41 years. :o

The West is a blood bath even moreso now with the Lakers getting LeBron. The Timberwolves and Nuggets were both right behind the Spurs who also had injury issues throughout the season. Should be fun to watch.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#1897 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 9:36 am

payitforward wrote:

If Ombre is valued in a related way to Devin Booker, then it's time to trade him for picks, etc.

2nd-Tier orgs like the Wiz & Suns overpay to hold-on to their potential star/semi-star players because major FA's aren't going to sign with them. Oubre hasn't proven squat yet, although I doubt we will be able to afford to give him the market rate when he becomes an FA.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1898 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:51 pm

payitforward wrote:The idea of Devin Booker as a franchise player astonishes me.

Well, max contracts aren't just for franchise players. Max contracts are basically ways to prevent legitimate franchise players from getting paid their true value for the most part.

That said, I see Devin Booker closer to the Kevin Martin/Demar Derozan side of the equation. The Raptors aren't having any problems winning with Demar maxed out, though he isn't necessarily crucial to what they do, and they lost a lot of games early on in his career, though he didn't get a max extension out of the gates, either. The Suns don't really have anyone else to pay at this point, though, so I don't see this as some sort of disaster. What will make or break the Suns is how they draft and develop players around Booker. They've done a piss poor job of that so far. Hopefully that changes this year.
Bucket! Bucket!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1899 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:12 pm

Orlando has had an interesting off-season (and gained a fan - PIF - but drafting Bamba). Interesting that they ended up with 4 Centers - Nikola Vucevic, Mohamed Bamba, Bismack Biyombo, Khem Birch and then traded Biyombo for Timofey Mozgov leaving them with 4 centers. So, guessing they aren't/can't be done.

They resigned Aaron Gordon and Mario Hezonja. But they aren't going to catch us this year unless some miracle happens. They do have their first and 3 second round picks next year and 2 firsts and a second the following year. Look for them to add since they seem to be set-up in the FC.

Code: Select all

Grant      Augustin         
Fournier   Iwundu      
Simmons    Hezonja   Ross   
Gordon     Isaac      
Vucevic    Bamba     Mozgov   Birch
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1900 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:12 pm

Boston, Philly, Toronto, Indy