Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6 

Post#1901 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:35 pm

dckingsfan wrote:They resigned Aaron Gordon and Mario Hezonja

Hezonja is a Knick. The Magic didn't even declined his 4th year option. The Magic may eventually build a team out of that mess they currently have, but they don't look like a playoff team to me. They currently have Fournier, Simmons and Ross on the wing, unless they foolishly opt to play Gordon at SF again, and it looks like they will start DJ Augustin at PG.
Bucket! Bucket!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,022

Post#1902 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:47 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:They resigned Aaron Gordon and Mario Hezonja

Hezonja is a Knick. The Magic didn't even declined his 4th year option. The Magic may eventually build a team out of that mess they currently have, but they don't look like a playoff team to me. They currently have Fournier, Simmons and Ross on the wing, unless they foolishly opt to play Gordon at SF again, and it looks like they will start DJ Augustin at PG.

Right! And yes, Gordon needs to be their PF. And they need to trade one of their Cs.

But this isn't their year - they need to be smart in their draft picks and shoot for 2020.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1903 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:00 pm

I suppose they might try to play Isaac at SF, too, but that doesn't seem like a good idea either, really. He strikes me as a guy they will wind up making the same kind of decision they made with Gordon on but taking a couple years to come to that conclusion yet again. Heck, I think those guys will eventually make a better PF/C pair than SF/PF.
Bucket! Bucket!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1904 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 4:15 pm

Agreed, Bamba/Gordon is their FC of the future. And they have 3 firsts and 4 seconds and cap space over the next two years to get their guards and wings in place. So, they have a window.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1905 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 9, 2018 8:04 pm

Has missed two straight games
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1906 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Parker to Charlotte takes care of their very biggest weakness - a backup PG, IMO. I predict they are battling for 7th/8th with 40+ wins. I like that Hernangomez becomes their starting C who is a solid 3 point shooter. Having Hernangomez/Williams as the starting FC will spread the floor for Walker/MKG should get them a bunch more wins.

It's hard to believe Parker has been around for 17 years.

Not to me. He was around before David Robinson retired. Parker was only 19-20 when the Spurs acquired him.

I see guys tearing it up in the Big3 League--and it lets me know that with all the medical advances available and with the astronomical salaries guys make; 20-year NBA careers are going to become commonplace.
Bye bye Beal.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1907 » by jangles86 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
jangles86 wrote:Wall and Beal have attracted ZERO free agent talent to this team.

It’s clearly time we split this underachieving duo up in my opinion.

I find posts like this to be hilarious.

Jangles86, since Wall & Beal are the problem, who are the notable free agents who used to come to the Wizards before we drafted Wall & Beal? When were the Wizards a free agent destination under Ernie Grunfeld (or ever)?

Gilbert Arenas
Paul Pierce
Are a couple that come to mind..
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1908 » by pancakes3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:26 pm

on the other hand, we've shipped out like 10x the talent than we've attracted.
Bullets -> Wizards
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1909 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Chicago - that Zach Lavine signing was a bit puzzling, to me he was the perfect guy to let go of - to not build around. And taking Carter in the draft was puzzling as well when you have Lopez, Asik, Felicio and Portis. Yes, Lopez expires but still... they are going to have oodles of cap room in '19-20 - so it will be interesting. Gotta be a trade coming with that jammed up FC?

Regardless, no way they catch the Wizards this year.

Code: Select all

Dunn        Payne      
LaVine      Kilpatrick      
Holiday     Hutchison      
Markkanen   Portis      
Lopez       Carter   Asik   Felicio
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1910 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Boston, Philly, Toronto, Indy

========

Wizards

========

Cleveland, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#1911 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

I think there is a decent chance that Leonard ends up with the Raptors. Apparently the Spurs need out of the deal is a player to keep them competitive the next couple years. Toronto has 2 players they can build the offer around - Lowry or DeRozan. Give Leonard's FA status, the offer may not end up being much more than that.

If the Spurs were looking for prospects and starting a rebuild, I think they would have done a deal with the Lakers and gotten a 1st 4 or 5 years from now as part of the return package.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#1912 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

The Rockets let Mbah a Moute depart to the Clippers for just $4.3M.

It's tough to envision how they're going to make another run at Golden State after losing two of their three 3&D wings. The trio of Ariza, Mbah a Moute and Tucker were a big part of their defensive success.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1913 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm

nate33 wrote:The Rockets let Mbah a Moute depart to the Clippers for just $4.3M.

It's tough to envision how they're going to make another run at Golden State after losing two of their three 3&D wings. The trio of Ariza, Mbah a Moute and Tucker were a big part of their defensive success.

This must be coming from ownership right? Morey is too brilliant to let all of this happen. Worse case scenario is Capela plays for the QO and he jumps next offseason when half the league has cap space. All of this is happening just so that they keep Paul in his age 36-37 seasons.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1914 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The Rockets let Mbah a Moute depart to the Clippers for just $4.3M.

This must be coming from ownership right? Morey is too brilliant to let all of this happen. Worse case scenario is Capela plays for the QO and he jumps next offseason when half the league has cap space. All of this is happening just so that they keep Paul in his age 36-37 seasons.

I could understand them letting Ariza go. He has lost a step and Phoenix offered $15M. But you would think Mbah a Moute at $4.3M is the exact type of deal that Morey would love. They're going to have to replace Mbah a Moute with a warm body at $1.3M anyhow; so effectively, he was only an additional $3M against the cap. Yeah, that probably translates to about $11M after luxtax fees, but Houston's window is right freaking now. It's not the time to be cheap.

Man, that Ryan Anderson contract is crippling them. He's their Ian Mahinmi. You just can't afford a contract like that when you're paying guys supermax contracts.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1915 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Boston, Philly, Toronto, Indy

========

Wizards

========

I think the Indy hype is getting a little much. Putting them a whole tier above us is crazy.

Their top 3 players (Dipo, Collison, Evans) are all coming off god-like career years, and while Dipo is young enough that it makes sense, Collison and Evans are a decade deep into their career and I have a hard time believing that borderline starters become top 5 at their position in their 9th/10th year. Same goes for Bojan.

Again, I really like them and think they'll be good. But I certainly wouldn't put them a tier above us and with a team like Boston.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1916 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Boston, Philly, Toronto, Indy

========

Wizards

========

I think the Indy hype is getting a little much. Putting them a whole tier above us is crazy.

Their top 3 players (Dipo, Collison, Evans) are all coming off god-like career years, and while Dipo is young enough that it makes sense, Collison and Evans are a decade deep into their career and I have a hard time believing that borderline starters become top 5 at their position in their 9th/10th year. Same goes for Bojan.

Again, I really like them and think they'll be good. But I certainly wouldn't put them a tier above us and with a team like Boston.

No, this is just a guess at wins (not tiers). This is just a SWAG at standings and nothing more. And certainly not how the playoffs would play out.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1917 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

I could understand them letting Ariza go. He has lost a step and Phoenix offered $15M. But you would think Mbah a Moute at $4.3M is the exact type of deal that Morey would love. They're going to have to replace Mbah a Moute with a warm body at $1.3M anyhow; so effectively, he was only an additional $3M against the cap. Yeah, that probably translates to about $11M after luxtax fees, but Houston's window is right freaking now. It's not the time to be cheap.

Man, that Ryan Anderson contract is crippling them. He's their Ian Mahinmi. You just can't afford a contract like that when you're paying guys supermax contracts.

Wouldn't it make sense to stretch him?

I got them at $113 million including Capela's $7 million cap hold, if it bumps up another $10 million they are right at the tax. Stretching him is better than having to give up 2 first round picks just to get rid of his contract.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1918 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense to stretch him?

I got them at $113 million including Capela's $7 million cap hold, if it bumps up another $10 million they are right at the tax. Stretching him is better than having to give up 2 first round picks just to get rid of his contract.

I'm not a big fan of stretching because it prolongs the problem, but in Houston's case, it probably makes sense since their window of opportunity is now. Essentially, it lowers their cap hit by about $12M each of the next 2 years, but it adds an extra $8M in salary over years 3, 4 and 5.

That $12M saved might be enough to help them field a championship team in the next 2 years. After that, who cares because their window of opportunity will be gone.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1919 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

The Brooklyn Nets finally got themselves under some kind of control after the Boston fleecing. And they don't owe any more 1st round picks moving forward. Davis is a nice addition to Allen if they go small ball (they will won't they :D).

But this year, I doubt this team makes it to the playoffs.

Code: Select all

Lin       Dinwiddlie    Whitehead   
Russell   Stauskas      Levert   Dallo?
Crabbe    Harris        Musa   
Carroll   Hollis-Jefferson      
Allen     Davis      
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1920 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Note: this is just a regular season win SWAG! Nothing more :D