ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,022

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 6 

Post#1921 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:29 pm

New York Knicks are still a bit squeezed cap wise with Kanter, Noah, Hardaway and Lee. They are no longer handicapped on picks. I don't think they will make the playoffs but could if Mudiay takes a big step forward and if Porzingis stays healthy. Next year Kanter comes off the books and Porzingis can move to C and let the developing group of wings play small ball.

Code: Select all

Mudiay       Baker        Burke   
Hezonja      Ntilikina    Lee         Dotson
Hardaway     Knox         Williams   
Porzingis    Thomas      
Kanter       Robinson     Noah   
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1922 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Note: this is just a regular season win SWAG! Nothing more :D
Boston, Philly, Toronto, Indy

========

Wizards

========

Cleveland, Atlanta, Orlando, Chicago, Brooklyn, NY
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1923 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm

dckingsfan wrote:New York Knicks are still a bit squeezed cap wise with Kanter, Noah, Hardaway and Lee. They are no longer handicapped on picks. I don't think they will make the playoffs but could if Mudiay takes a big step forward and if Porzingis stays healthy. Next year Kanter comes off the books and Porzingis can move to C and let the developing group of wings play small ball.

Porzingis    Thomas      

The Knicks are going to be terrible. Porzingis is out for most of the season, by all accounts. By the time he might come back, their season will already be over. They're going to tank this season at some point

Moving forward, I like Porzingis but have serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy given how physically demanding the NBA is. I also really like Knox. Mudiay isn't good. I don't think Kanter is particularly good but I feel he's been overly maligned as a player - he isn't useless. Hezonja... he could figure out what he needs to do eventually, but I doubt he does it for the Knicks.
Bucket! Bucket!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1924 » by dckingsfan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:46 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:New York Knicks are still a bit squeezed cap wise with Kanter, Noah, Hardaway and Lee. They are no longer handicapped on picks. I don't think they will make the playoffs but could if Mudiay takes a big step forward and if Porzingis stays healthy. Next year Kanter comes off the books and Porzingis can move to C and let the developing group of wings play small ball.

Porzingis    Thomas      

The Knicks are going to be terrible. Porzingis is out for most of the season, by all accounts. By the time he might come back, their season will already be over. They're going to tank this season at some point

Moving forward, I like Porzingis but have serious concerns about his ability to stay healthy given how physically demanding the NBA is. I also really like Knox. Mudiay isn't good. I don't think Kanter is particularly good but I feel he's been overly maligned as a player - he isn't useless. Hezonja... he could figure out what he needs to do eventually, but I doubt he does it for the Knicks.

Didn't see that Porzingis is going to miss most of the season. Yeah, bad. Kanter, Hezonja, Baker, Mudiay and Burke come off the books next season (as does Porzingis - although guessing they won't do that). For '19-20 they could get to a payroll of 65M with this.

PG
SG Ntilikina    Lee         Dotson
SF Hardaway     Knox
PF Thomas      
C  Robinson     Noah   
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1925 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:19 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#1926 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:42 pm

The Nets deal with Denver seems to benefit both teams nicely.

Brooklyn profits from the Nuggets salary dump to pick up the expiring Kenneth Faried, an extremely productive player (tho not a favorite around here, esp. not w/ Dat) who'll be available next year for a lot less $$. Plus a lightly protected R1 pick next year & a future R2 -- that's a lot!

Meanwhile, Denver gets under the tax & continues reshaping their roster around Jokic, Barton, et. al.

Man, what a couple of R2 picks Nikola Jokic & Will Barton were!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#1927 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Why was IT only able to get a vet minimum deal? Is it that he hasn't recovered from the injury?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1928 » by gtn130 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:46 pm

payitforward wrote:Why was IT only able to get a vet minimum deal? Is it that he hasn't recovered from the injury?

I don't think he has fully recovered, and even when healthy he's possibly the worst defender in the entire league. Brad could hide him, but not every coach is a miracle worker.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1929 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Fun fact on IT; just as Dwight Howard will be playing on his 6th team, so will IT - and Howard started in the NBA 7 years before IT. Both have shown a tendency to wear out their welcomes - despite showing the ability to post impressive numbers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1930 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Revised - they really aren't making the playoffs now :) PFs in no particular order.

dckingsfan wrote:The Brooklyn Nets finally got themselves under some kind of control after the Boston fleecing. And they don't owe any more 1st round picks moving forward. Davis is a nice addition to Allen if they go small ball (they will won't they :D).

But this year, I doubt this team makes it to the playoffs.

Dinwiddlie   
Russell       Stauskas      Levert    Dallo?
Crabbe        Harris        Musa   
Faried        Aurthur       Carroll   Hollis-Jefferson   
Allen         Davis      
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1931 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:Fun fact on IT; just as Dwight Howard will be playing on his 6th team, so will IT - and Howard started in the NBA 7 years before IT. Both have shown a tendency to wear out their welcomes - despite showing the ability to post impressive numbers.

I dunno, I'm willing to give IT a bit of a break because he was on the verge of a $30M a year contract and now is reduced to the minimum. A big part of that was his injury, which IIRC may or may not have been diagnosed/handled correctly by the team. If Kyrie Irving never wants out of Cleveland and IT had stayed in Boston, who knows how that could have changed things for him (both perception and money-wise).
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1932 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Update with the trade - guess they got better...

Schroder   Lin       Young
Bazemore   Hueter    Dorsey
Prince     Bembry   
Collins    Muscala   Spellman
Dedmon     Plumlee   

dckingsfan wrote:Now going to the bottom of the Eastern Division - it seems like Atlanta improved itself but for the distant future. No way those guys make the playoffs. The only thing thus far that surprises me is that they haven't been able to move Schroder yet. They are also interested in taking contracts for picks.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1933 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:04 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Update with the trade - guess they got better...

Schroder   Lin       Young
Bazemore   Hueter    Dorsey
Prince     Bembry   
Collins    Muscala   Spellman
Dedmon     Plumlee   

dckingsfan wrote:Now going to the bottom of the Eastern Division - it seems like Atlanta improved itself but for the distant future. No way those guys make the playoffs. The only thing thus far that surprises me is that they haven't been able to move Schroder yet. They are also interested in taking contracts for picks.

Agreed, Schroder is gone. I think they'll target bad two years deals plus a pick/prospect.

Bucks for Delly +
NOP for Hill +
Magic for Mozgov +
Suns for Knight +

Frees up money in 2020 where they could have Trae, Collins, Huerter, Spellman, Prince, Top 3 pick in 2019, Top 10 pick from Mavs, 2020 Lotto pick and 70M in cap space!!!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#1934 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:18 pm

payitforward wrote:Why was IT only able to get a vet minimum deal? Is it that he hasn't recovered from the injury?

Nobody has any cap room.

Basically, if a player wants a long term deal, they have to settle for the MLE (at $9M a year, and very few teams have the MLE available) or the taxpayer MLE (which starts at just $5.3M). Most players who consider themselves starters or stars won't sign a long term deal at that money. They'd rather sign a 1-year deal and try again next summer when more teams have money. And if you're signing for 1-year, it's better to take the vet minimum in a location where you'll start and showcase yourself, than it is to take the taxpayer MLE in a place that might not be ideal.

It's crazy how many players are betting on making big money next year. So far, the following free agents have signed 1-year deals: Durant, D.Jordan, Gay, Ariza, E.Davis, D.Rose, KCP, Hezonja, Lance, Payton, McGee, Redick, Noel, Tolliver, M.Scott, Rondo, S.Curry, Cousins, MCW, J.Green, T.Evans, Looney, A.Johnson, Bjelica, O'Quinn, B.Lopez, Mbah a Moute, D.Howard, Ellington, I.Thomas

Plus, the reason why there is so much money available next year is because a bunch of other players finish up their contracts. Guys like Gortat, Morris, Kanter, J.Butler, Teague, Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay, T.Harris, Carroll, T.Young, Bledsoe, Rubio, Gibson, R.Lopez, Faried, Gortat, Mirotic, Vucevic, Chandler, Kemba, Rivers, Lin, Ross, Bodganovic, D.Green, Collison, Temple, Joesph, Aminu, Dedmon, Ish, Beverley, McLemore and Marcus Morris will all be unrestricted free agents.

And then there's the entire 2015 draft class of RFA's including: KAT, Russell, Porzingis, WCS, Mudiay, S.Johnson, J.Winslow, M. Turner, T.Lyles, D.Booker, Oubre, Rozier, Portis, Sato and Nance Jr. (some, like Booker have already been extended).

While there's a lot of money available, I think the pool of talent is bigger than the pot of money. A shrewd GM should be able to pick up some bargains.

One small thing in our favor with respect to keeping Oubre and Sato is that not many teams are going to want to put their money in limbo while waiting for us to decide to match a deal. Rather than do that, they might prefer to go after an unrestricted free agent. Grab a guy like KCP or Evans instead of gambling that we won't match Oubre. Sign Garrett Temple rather than tie up money waiting for us to match Sato.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#1935 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 pm

So, after writing out my last post, here's a list of free agents in a useful order:

"Superstars" (potential MVP candidates)
Durant
Kawhi

"Stars" (potential All-NBA candidates)
Kyrie
Butler
Klay
Harris
Kemba
Cousins
KAT (RFA)
Porzingis (RFA)

Reliable Starters
Gay,
Ariza,
D.Jordan
KCP
Redick
T.Evans
Mbah a Moute
Howard
Ellington
Teague
Rubio
Mirotic
D.Green
Aminu
M.Turner (RFA)
Oubre (RFA)
Rozier (RFA)
Nance Jr. (RFA)

Borderline starters or upside gambles
Noel
E.Davis
Rondo
Looney
O'Quinn
B.Lopez
Ellington
I.Thomas
M.Morris
M.Morris
Bledsoe
R.Lopez
Vucevic
Ross
Collison
Aminu
Dedmon
Beverley
WCS (RFA)
D'Angelo Russell (RFA)
Mudiay (RFA)
S.Johnson (RFA)
J.Winslow (RFA)
Portis (RFA)
Sato (RFA)
Tolliver
Seth Curry

Useful depth
D.Rose
Hezonja
Lance
Payton
McGee
M.Scott
MCW
J.Green
A.Johnson
Bjelica
Gortat
Carroll
T.Young
Gibson
Faried
W.Chandler
Rivers
Lin
Bogdanovic
Temple
Joseph
Ish Smith
McLemore
T.Lyles

I'm sure I'm missing a few. And one can quibble about the tiers where I rank them. But you get the idea. There are A LOT of free agents available next year. By my count, there are 2 superstars, 8 stars, 45 starters/rotation players, and 24 useful bench players.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#1936 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:04 pm

It looks like an interesting FA next year. Once LeBron picked the Lakers, this year was a bit of a dud.
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#1937 » by Eli Babak » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:17 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Agreed, Schroder is gone. I think they'll target bad two years deals plus a pick/prospect.

Bucks for Delly +
NOP for Hill +
Magic for Mozgov +
Suns for Knight +

Frees up money in 2020 where they could have Trae, Collins, Huerter, Spellman, Prince, Top 3 pick in 2019, Top 10 pick from Mavs, 2020 Lotto pick and 70M in cap space!!!

I like what Suns have done this summer so I hope they don't touch Schröder. Pelicans already have at least Payton, Holiday and Moore so I don't like that either. Bucks should be building around Antetokounmpo and surround him with shooters and secondary ballhandlers (like Brogdon, Hill, Murray etc.). So I guess Orlando is the only team to make sense - I was actually surprised they didn't sign Thomas.

I hope Bulls (my second favorite team :)) could trade Felicio for Melo and buy him out. Unfortunately according to some rumours they're interested in Jabari Parker. That would be a noob move because if they can get rid of Felicio it would clear their rotation, open a roster spot and just give great flexibility moving forward.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1938 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 pm

Charlotte seems to be going the right direction in slow motion. I like the Parker signing - seems just about right to me... if he says healthy with the minimal minutes then that will also reduce Walker's minutes. I think (on this team) the subtraction of Dwight is an addition. I think Hernangomez will be a starter by year end - just don't know if it will be at PF or C.

I think they get into the 40+ win area and make the playoffs this season.

Walker     Parker        Graham
Batum      Lamb          Monk
MKG        Bridges       Bacon
Williams   Kaminsky   
Zeller     Hernangomez   Biyombo
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1939 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 pm

nate33 wrote:So, after writing out my last post, here's a list of free agents in a useful order:

"Superstars" (potential MVP candidates)
Durant
Kawhi

"Stars" (potential All-NBA candidates)
Kyrie
Butler
Klay
Harris
Kemba
Cousins
KAT (RFA)
Porzingis (RFA)

Reliable Starters
Gay,
Ariza,
D.Jordan
KCP
Redick
T.Evans
Mbah a Moute
Howard
Ellington
Teague
Rubio
Mirotic
D.Green
Aminu
M.Turner (RFA)
Oubre (RFA)
Rozier (RFA)
Nance Jr. (RFA)

Borderline starters or upside gambles
Noel
E.Davis
Rondo
Looney
O'Quinn
B.Lopez
Ellington
I.Thomas
M.Morris
M.Morris
Bledsoe
R.Lopez
Vucevic
Ross
Collison
Aminu
Dedmon
Beverley
WCS (RFA)
D'Angelo Russell (RFA)
Mudiay (RFA)
S.Johnson (RFA)
J.Winslow (RFA)
Portis (RFA)
Sato (RFA)
Tolliver
Seth Curry

Useful depth
D.Rose
Hezonja
Lance
Payton
McGee
M.Scott
MCW
J.Green
A.Johnson
Bjelica
Gortat
Carroll
T.Young
Gibson
Faried
W.Chandler
Rivers
Lin
Bogdanovic
Temple
Joseph
Ish Smith
McLemore
T.Lyles

I'm sure I'm missing a few. And one can quibble about the tiers where I rank them. But you get the idea. There are A LOT of free agents available next year. By my count, there are 2 superstars, 8 stars, 45 starters/rotation players, and 24 useful bench players.

Cap space is going to dry up pretty quickly next year IMO.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1940 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:Fun fact on IT; just as Dwight Howard will be playing on his 6th team, so will IT - and Howard started in the NBA 7 years before IT. Both have shown a tendency to wear out their welcomes - despite showing the ability to post impressive numbers.

Also saw something that Jeremy Lin and Dwight Howard have played for many of the same teams

LA Lakers
Houston Rockets (played there together)
Brooklyn Nets (Howard was bought out here)
Atlanta (Lin was just traded here)

Return to Washington Wizards