2016 Offseason (continued)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: 2016 Offseason (continued) 

Post#561 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 am

Ruzious wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Didnt House have a good summer league? Seemed to completely disappear in the preseason.

I think he did okay in SL, but preseason means a LOT more than SL.

"Ok", maybe, but It's a myth that House had a good Summer League. He did some things well, certainly -- he was 10-25 on three point shots, and he got to the line 9 times every 40 minutes. Unfortunately, he was 6-22 on 2 pt. shots, and his FT% was .667.

As a result, his TS% was .50 -- meh -- and that's in SL while shooting a high 3 pt. %. He didn't rebound particularly well either.

Of course, neither the high 3 pt. % nor the low 2 pt. %, nor any of it for that matter, really tells us anything -- small sample size numbers. But nothing about Danuel House would lead anyone to confuse him with an NBA player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#562 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:20 am

80sballboy wrote:http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-waive-veteran-jack-roster/rN2j0EB24I04B3wvqRh2wI/

May be worth taking a flier on.

Would have been a good pick up instead of trading for Burke. :(
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#563 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:51 am

payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-waive-veteran-jack-roster/rN2j0EB24I04B3wvqRh2wI/

May be worth taking a flier on.

Would have been a good pick up instead of trading for Burke. :(

Maybe but I don't think they knew his injury status at the time. You don't replace a point guard with surgeries on both knees with an aging point guard coming off knee surgery unless you have a third option. If he's ready in a couple of weeks, then sure, I'd rather have him than Burke.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#564 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:00 am

You're right -- I forgot about the injury.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#565 » by JWizmentality » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:18 am

payitforward wrote:You're right -- I forgot about the injury.

Never stopped Ernie before. Remember this is the same dude that picked up Dudley knowing full well the guy needed surgery. And he's got a huge boner for Jack. I have a bad feeling....
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#566 » by 80sballboy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:36 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
payitforward wrote:You're right -- I forgot about the injury.

Never stopped Ernie before. Remember this is the same dude that picked up Dudley knowing full well the guy needed surgery. And he's got a huge boner for Jack. I have a bad feeling....

The worse pickup was Alan Anderson.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#567 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:52 pm

Wizards should sign recently released rookie Ben Bentil.

That's all.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#568 » by gambitx777 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:43 am

Yi hit the market, hes been great in china but he is chacing minutes. I'd sign him in a heart beat. Hes better than Smith
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#569 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:45 am

gambitx777 wrote:Yi hit the market, hes been great in china but he is chacing minutes. I'd sign him in a heart beat. Hes better than Smith

Cmon man.

Do you remember how bad he was? Overall one of the worst, least instinctual players I've ever seen.
In Rizzo we trust
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#570 » by gambitx777 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:41 am

He was not that bad, and he was young back then, big men develop late some times and hes only 28, he went to china and he got good, hes been one of the best centers over there the last couple years.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#571 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:02 am

gambitx777 wrote:He was not that bad, and he was young back then, big men develop late some times and hes only 28, he went to china and he got good, hes been one of the best centers over there the last couple years.

China is not the NBA. Playing well in China simply requires a good physical profile because more than half the players over there are 5-8 140 guys in the Chinese Army. He's got physical ability but that's very different from being an effective NBA player. The guy literally has no idea how to play high level basketball. Nothing has changed.
Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Post#572 » by Hidden Eye » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:11 am

gambitx777 wrote:Yi hit the market, hes been great in china but he is chacing minutes. I'd sign him in a heart beat. Hes better than Smith

They need to sign him asap
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#573 » by gambitx777 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:51 am

Dat2U wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:He was not that bad, and he was young back then, big men develop late some times and hes only 28, he went to china and he got good, hes been one of the best centers over there the last couple years.

China is not the NBA. Playing well in China simply requires a good physical profile because more than half the players over there are 5-8 140 guys in the Chinese Army. He's got physical ability but that's very different from being an effective NBA player. The guy literally has no idea how to play high level basketball. Nothing has changed.

You can't say that, Like players legit go over seas and figure it out all the time. if over seas leagues were not legit developmental territories we would not be drafting guys from those leagues at all. He took time to work on his game and he got better. He was not totally awful in the first place. He got better at rebounding and blocking shots and he got better at shooting. Im not saying pay him 18 mil and play him 35 minutes a game. but a min contact and a back up role would be fine for him.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#574 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am

gambitx777 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

You can't say that, Like players legit go over seas and figure it out all the time. if over seas leagues were not legit developmental territories we would not be drafting guys from those leagues at all. He took time to work on his game and he got better. He was not totally awful in the first place. He got better at rebounding and blocking shots and he got better at shooting. Im not saying pay him 18 mil and play him 35 minutes a game. but a min contact and a back up role would be fine for him.

Were talking about China, not Basket Serie A or the ACB. It's a big difference. Most of the spots are taken by low level local talent. The competition in general is bad. The Lakers didn't sign Yi for basketball reasons. He doesn't have the IQ or awareness for the NBA... but he didn't need that in China. They can just give him the ball and get out the way. That isn't happening here.

He was awful when he was last here. Outside of being forced-fed minutes and touches he was a disaster. The game is much more than just putting up shots or rebounding. Most of time he had no idea where he should be. When to pass or shoot. Or what to do on defense.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#575 » by Dark Faze » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Blatche chipped in China IIRC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#576 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:53 pm

I gotta agree with Dat and long suffrin on this one. Yi showed what he was in the NBA absolute fails in Washington and Milwaukee. While I think he has more than enough physical ability, he played way too soft, had poor instincts (as was said), and simply didn't play smart basketball. And that was already after he did great in China. He's proven he does not have what it takes upstairs to play in the NBA, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#577 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:53 pm

I gotta agree with Dat and long suffrin on this one. Yi showed what he was in the NBA absolute fails in Washington and Milwaukee. While I think he has more than enough physical ability, he played way too soft, had poor instincts (as was said), and simply didn't play smart basketball. And that was already after he did great in China. He's proven he does not have what it takes upstairs to play in the NBA, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#578 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:57 pm

I agree w/ Ruz and Dat on this -- Yi is not an NBA level player. I agree w/ Ruz and Dat on this -- Yi is not an NBA level player.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#579 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:40 pm

payitforward wrote:I agree w/ Ruz and Dat on this -- Yi is not an NBA level player. I agree w/ Ruz and Dat on this -- Yi is not an NBA level player.

I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment. I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment. I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment. I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment.

Put Yi back in the NBA and, well, what's the opposite of taking the weights off your ankles? Arenas averaged nearly 25 pp36 in China, double what he was doing in the NBA, even as he was on the decline. Blatche last year: 23.3 ppg. Jordan Crawford last year: 43.1 ppg. OMG! If we could get Yi, Arenas, Blatchemo, and Crawford back here, we'd have an unstoppable juggerNOT!
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#580 » by verbal8 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:12 pm

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:I agree w/ Ruz and Dat on this -- Yi is not an NBA level player. I agree w/ Ruz and Dat on this -- Yi is not an NBA level player.

I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment. I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment. I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment. I agrYi with your agrYiment on their agrYiment.

Put Yi back in the NBA and, well, what's the opposite of taking the weights off your ankles? Arenas averaged nearly 25 pp36 in China, double what he was doing in the NBA, even as he was on the decline. Blatche last year: 23.3 ppg. Jordan Crawford last year: 43.1 ppg. OMG! If we could get Yi, Arenas, Blatchemo, and Crawford back here, we'd have an unstoppable juggerNOT!

That might be true if they were playing in the CBA...the NBA not so much.

Return to Washington Wizards