Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Re: PIF's Sheldon McClellan Thread 

Post#41 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:00 pm

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Well, at least we agree that Kieff has played well recently. Over the last 5 games, he's averaging 16 pts., over 7 rebs and is shooting 47% from 3pt range. Maybe most importantly, he's made some clutch baskets in 2 or 3 games over the past couple of weeks.

We're getting into small sample size theater though. In the last 5 games, he has made 8 of 17 3-pointers. Basically, one good game in which he hit 3 for 3 makes that whole 5-game stretch look good. If you look at the last 10 games, he has made 10 of 29 for a 3P% of .345.

Outside of his 3 point shooting, he's been the same old lackluster player. His rebounding stinks. His team defense is pretty poor. He doesn't block shots.

But, despite his shortcomings, there's no doubt that Kieff has helped the Zards win games over this last month or so where the team has mostly played well, including winning 11 in row at home. Could Kieff be a better player? Absolutely. But he hasn't been bad for a fifth offensive option among the starters.

BTW, do we give Kieff any credit for the rebounds that Gortat or another teammate gets because Kief is blocking out? Posters here used to praise Nene for that. And I noticed you didn't say anything about Kieff's man-to-man defense. Does he get credit for being good at that?

My biggest problems with Kieff are his bad fouls and lack of effort on occasion. But the fact that he's not a top PF with an all-around game doesn't mean he's not contributing to the team's recent success. And that's my one and only point.

Morris is a legitimate NBA player. It's not like he shouldn't be in the league or anything. It's just that he's really only a bench-caliber player. Ideally, he should be coming off the bench, getting 20 minutes a night.

I do agree that he is a solid man-to-man defender.

As to the boxing out thesis, I don't think we have enough data to make a determination. The team does rebound better with Morris on the floor, but that could be because Morris usually shares the court with our two best rebounders: Gortat and Porter.

Also, I think, In general, the boxing out phenomena is usually only applicable to centers. Most teams only send one player (usually the center) to crash the offensive glass. If your center can make sure he is boxed out, usually your forwards can grab the rebound. I'm not sure that simply being able to box out one's own man is sufficient when you're a PF. First of all, your counterpart isn't always crashing the offensive glass. And secondly, you need to have a good nose for the ball be there to pick up the loose balls leftover because your center is busy boxing out the other team's primary offensive rebounding threat.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#42 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:31 pm

DCZards wrote:
But he hasn't been bad for a fifth offensive option among the starters.

Fifth option? He plays fewer minutes than both Gortat and Porter yet takes more shots than both. He actually takes 3 more shots per game than Gortat even though he plays 4 fewer minutes.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#43 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:57 am

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Well, at least we agree that Kieff has played well recently. Over the last 5 games, he's averaging 16 pts., over 7 rebs and is shooting 47% from 3pt range. Maybe most importantly, he's made some clutch baskets in 2 or 3 games over the past couple of weeks.

We're getting into small sample size theater though. In the last 5 games, he has made 8 of 17 3-pointers. Basically, one good game in which he hit 3 for 3 makes that whole 5-game stretch look good. If you look at the last 10 games, he has made 10 of 29 for a 3P% of .345.

Outside of his 3 point shooting, he's been the same old lackluster player. His rebounding stinks. His team defense is pretty poor. He doesn't block shots.

But, despite his shortcomings, there's no doubt that Kieff has helped the Zards win games over this last month or so where the team has mostly played well, including winning 11 in row at home. Could Kieff be a better player? Absolutely. But he hasn't been bad for a fifth offensive option among the starters.

BTW, do we give Kieff any credit for the rebounds that Gortat or another teammate gets because Kief is blocking out? Posters here used to praise Nene for that. And I noticed you didn't say anything about Kieff's man-to-man defense. Does he get credit for being good at that?

My biggest problems with Kieff are his bad fouls and lack of effort on occasion. But the fact that he's not a top PF with an all-around game doesn't mean he's not contributing to the team's recent success. And that's my one and only point.

No, Zards, I really don't think Kieff has been any particular help in our recent successful play. He's played the same as he did before -- badly. It's been Wall, Beal, Porter, Gortat, Oubre (for a while), & the improved Smith. Not Markieff Morris.

Of course, he wouldn't have to be "a top PF" to contribute; true enough. If he were an average PF, he'd contribute at an average level/rate while on the floor. But, he's not. He's a lot worse than average.

His 3 pt. % is well below average for an NBA big, so is his 2 pt. %, so is his TS%, so is his defensive rebounding, so is his offensive rebounding, ditto turnovers, assists & blocks. His steals are slightly above average, and so is his FT %. Overall, his performance is utterly dismal. Really awful. His picture could be in the dictionary next to the definition of "bad player."

As to giving him credit for other guys' rebounds... Markieff has been a way way way below average rebounder every single year he's played in the NBA. So, no I'm not finding some way to excuse him for it.

Is he a good one-on-one defender? If so, I'm happy to give him credit for it. But you can't say "look, he just defended well" & draw some conclusion from what you just saw. Any more than you can say "look, he just hit a turn around jump shot on a post up play" & draw the conclusion that he's a good shooter. Who he is, how good he is, that's in the numbers overall -- not in the play you choose to recollect. So, if there's numbers that say he's a good man-to-man defender, great. But I haven't seen them.

This isn't personal. He actually seems like quite a nice guy, and it's clear that his teammates like him. He's happy here it seems. Maybe he has or soon will have resolved whatever emotional issues people say he's had, & if so that's great -- but anyway I haven't seen them to begin with.

I wish him well. But he's a very bad player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#44 » by DCZards » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:42 am

payitforward wrote:No, Zards, I really don't think Kieff has been any particular help in our recent successful play. He's played the same as he did before -- badly. It's been Wall, Beal, Porter, Gortat, Oubre (for a while), & the improved Smith. Not Markieff Morris.

Of course, he wouldn't have to be "a top PF" to contribute; true enough. If he were an average PF, he'd contribute at an average level/rate while on the floor. But, he's not. He's a lot worse than average.

His 3 pt. % is well below average for an NBA big, so is his 2 pt. %, so is his TS%, so is his defensive rebounding, so is his offensive rebounding, ditto turnovers, assists & blocks. His steals are slightly above average, and so is his FT %. Overall, his performance is utterly dismal. Really awful. His picture could be in the dictionary next to the definition of "bad player."

PIF, do you watch the games or do you just track the stats?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#45 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:10 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:No, Zards, I really don't think Kieff has been any particular help in our recent successful play. He's played the same as he did before -- badly. It's been Wall, Beal, Porter, Gortat, Oubre (for a while), & the improved Smith. Not Markieff Morris.

Don't insult me, Zards; I don't insult you. I've been a basketball fan all my life. I'd be willing to bet that I've seen more NBA games live & on the tube than you have (i.e. I'm sure I'm older than you! :) ). & not just NBA. For example, I saw the game (live, from the stands) in which Bill Russell & the USF Dons won the national championship (61 years ago this March). Off the top of your head, who else especially notable was on that team? Take a minute, please, to try & remember before you click:
Spoiler:
K.C. Jones
I don't think I've missed a single game the Wizards have played this year. How about you? Have you watched them all? I've also watched at least a dozen (probably more) other NBA games this season. How about you? Hell, I spent @3 hours a day last Summer watching Summer League! I hope you are too smart to have done that!

In fact, I don't "track the stats" at all. I look at numbers for the purpose of understanding/analyzing something. If a person tries to do that w/o looking at numbers, well... to each his own, but it's pretty clearly a waste of time. For example, in my mind's eye, Kelly Oubre has become a really good 3-point shooter, but in fact he's at 29%. Somehow I only remember the makes.

Have I answered your question? :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#46 » by DCZards » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:08 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Don't insult me, Zards; I don't insult you. I've been a basketball fan all my life. I'd be willing to bet that I've seen more NBA games live & on the tube than you have (i.e. I'm sure I'm older than you! :) ). & not just NBA. For example, I saw the game (live, from the stands) in which Bill Russell & the USF Dons won the national championship (61 years ago this March). Off the top of your head, who else especially notable was on that team? Take a minute, please, to try & remember before you click:
Spoiler:
K.C. Jones
I don't think I've missed a single game the Wizards have played this year. How about you? Have you watched them all? I've also watched at least a dozen (probably more) other NBA games this season. How about you? Hell, I spent @3 hours a day last Summer watching Summer League! I hope you are too smart to have done that!

In fact, I don't "track the stats" at all. I look at numbers for the purpose of understanding/analyzing something. If a person tries to do that w/o looking at numbers, well... to each his own, but it's pretty clearly a waste of time. For example, in my mind's eye, Kelly Oubre has become a really good 3-point shooter, but in fact he's at 29%. Somehow I only remember the makes.

Have I answered your question? :)

Yes, you've answered my question. And I apologize for insulting you. We seem to have a lot in common, especially in terms of how much we've watched the Wizards and the NBA over the years. I pay too much for my NBA League Pass...but I absolutely love being able to watch NBA games from the West Coast at midnight.

For the record, my wife and I have been Zards season ticket holders for more than 20 games. We've missed one home game this year...against the Celtics. But my daughter and her boyfriend were there representing the family.

I'm headed out shortly to see the home team take on the Blazers. Go Zards!
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#47 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm

What happened to the Sheldon McClellan part of this thread?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#48 » by montestewart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

penbeast0 wrote:What happened to the Sheldon McClellan part of this thread?

Excellent point!

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#49 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 pm

montestewart wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:What happened to the Sheldon McClellan part of this thread?

Excellent point!

Not very photogenic lol
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#50 » by montestewart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm

NatP4 wrote:Not very photogenic lol

Yeah, the middle photo looks like a bathroom face.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,349

Post#51 » by Kanyewest » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 pm

montestewart wrote:

Now that you mention it, you could say that about all the photos you posted.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#52 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
montestewart wrote:

GIAnnis looks like ET in that second picture. (No I'm not racist)
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#53 » by montestewart » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:56 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
montestewart wrote:Yeah, the middle photo looks like a bathroom face.

It's pretty funny the intense facial distortions you can capture when photographing athletes. I remember a video art piece at the Whitney Museum that was just a loop of Larry Johnson, apparently celebrating something (maybe a power slam). He was tensed up in a roid rage-looking frenzy, and the video cycled maybe four seconds of his strut over and over. It looked far more anguished than celebratory and was creepy and hilarious all in one. The artist's statement had an explanation like "resonating within the seething subsurface alienation toward a dystopian post-modern apocalypse" or something.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#54 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:44 am

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:We're getting into small sample size theater though. In the last 5 games, he has made 8 of 17 3-pointers. Basically, one good game in which he hit 3 for 3 makes that whole 5-game stretch look good. If you look at the last 10 games, he has made 10 of 29 for a 3P% of .345.

No, Zards, I really don't think Kieff has been any particular help in our recent successful play. He's played the same as he did before -- badly. It's been Wall, Beal, Porter, Gortat, Oubre (for a while), & the improved Smith. Not Markieff Morris.

As to giving him credit for other guys' rebounds... Markieff has been a way way way below average rebounder every single year he's played in the NBA. So, no I'm not finding some way to excuse him for it.

Is he a good one-on-one defender? If so, I'm happy to give him credit for it. But you can't say "look, he just defended well" & draw some conclusion from what you just saw. Any more than you can say "look, he just hit a turn around jump shot on a post up play" & draw the conclusion that he's a good shooter. Who he is, how good he is, that's in the numbers overall -- not in the play you choose to recollect. So, if there's numbers that say he's a good man-to-man defender, great. But I haven't seen them.

This isn't personal. He actually seems like quite a nice guy, and it's clear that his teammates like him. He's happy here it seems. Maybe he has or soon will have resolved whatever emotional issues people say he's had, & if so that's great -- but anyway I haven't seen them to begin with.

I wish him well. But he's a very bad player.

Gotta take some of this back. In fact, Markieff has been better the last 10 games. Not going to reassess him overall based on it, but I was incorrect to say that he's been "no particular help" recently. He has been some help, yes, & here's hoping it continues.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#55 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:47 am

DCZards wrote:...I apologize for insulting you. ...

I'm headed out shortly to see the home team take on the Blazers. Go Zards!

You saw a cakewalk -- always fun!

No offense taken. Anyway "insult" was way too strong a word for me to use, Zards -- sorry.

(& I'm sure we both know who's a better person between Donald Trump & John Lewis. :) )
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#56 » by AFM » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:16 am

I just want to know, is he part Irish?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#57 » by montestewart » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:23 am

AFM wrote:I just want to know, is he part Irish?

Scotch-Irish, by way of his ancestor's owner.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#58 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 pm

montestewart wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Now that you mention it, you could say that about all the photos you posted.

It's pretty funny the intense facial distortions you can capture when photographing athletes. I remember a video art piece at the Whitney Museum that was just a loop of Larry Johnson, apparently celebrating something (maybe a power slam). He was tensed up in a roid rage-looking frenzy, and the video cycled maybe four seconds of his strut over and over. It looked far more anguished than celebratory and was creepy and hilarious all in one. The artist's statement had an explanation like "resonating within the seething subsurface alienation toward a dystopian post-modern apocalypse" or something.

I approve of that artist's statement.

Btw: why has this thread digressed so far away from AD'sK?
In Rizzo we trust
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#59 » by leswizards » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am

The title of this thread needs to be updated.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#60 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 am

leswizards wrote:The title of this thread needs to be updated.

Sh'Mac Daddy Longlegs' Country Lane Revue and Potato Sack Race?

Return to Washington Wizards