ImageImageImageImageImage

PIF's Sheldon McClellan Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: PIF's Sheldon McClellan Thread 

Post#61 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:46 am

I'm sorry Sheldon can't seem to get into a game in a meaningful way. He has actually played pretty well in his few minutes. Not much of a scorer -- which has been our problem w/ the 2d unit & may be enough to explain why he sits all the time -- but, so far at least, Sheldon has showed that he is an NBA player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#62 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:47 am

Maybe with BB here to do more shooting off the bench, & with Thornton gone, we'll see more of Sheldon at the 2?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#63 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 am

SO what is this kids full legal name now?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#64 » by montestewart » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:51 am

gambitx777 wrote:SO what is this kids full legal name now?

Hubert Haybiscuit Whipplewhite
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,310

Post#65 » by NatP4 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:12 am

payitforward wrote:Maybe with BB here to do more shooting off the bench, & with Thornton gone, we'll see more of Sheldon at the 2?

PIF, I think Sheldon is our diamond in the rough. I would like to see:

Satoransky-McClellan-Oubre-Bogdonovich-Mahinmi

Fixed the issue of all handling because Sheldon can handle the ball.

I actually think that unit could be dominant
NatP4
RealGM

Post#66 » by NatP4 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm

this is a NBA player
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#67 » by FAH1223 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:25 pm

NatP4 wrote:

this is a NBA player

Question I have

1 - Can he defend?

2 - Can he move consistently without the ball?

Defensively, McClellan is somewhat of a mixed bag, as his effort level comes and goes, his focus level wavers and his intensity can be contingent on how things are going for him on the other side of the floor. He doesn't always fight through screens with his narrow frame, and is just average defending off the ball. To McClellan's credit, he did show some improved effort defensively in big moments in the postseason, but his fundamentals still need some work. He will be hunched over instead of in a stance which can leave him vulnerable and he can be so focused on his man that he will lose sight of the rest of the floor. When he is locked in, he can move his feet well enough to contain dribble penetration, but he'll need to be more consistent with his approach to carve out a niche for himself at the NBA level, particularly on nights when his shot isn't falling.

On nights that McClellan's points are coming, he can look like a very impressive prospect, capable of buyring an opponent with some deep and tough shots. When they aren't, though, he can get a little mopey when he doesn't get enough touches to his liking, hoist up a bad shot if he hasn't taken one in a while, and outwardly complain to teammates for making mistakes. Already 23 and one of the oldest prospects in our top 100, this might not be a matter of simply needing to mature at this point. As a role-player being surrounded by better players, he'll have to either grow out of this or prove he is indispensable in other areas for coaches to put up with it on a regular basis. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sheldon-McClellan-6248/ ©DraftExpress
NatP4
RealGM

Post#68 » by NatP4 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:45 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

this is a NBA player

Question I have

1 - Can he defend?

2 - Can he move consistently without the ball?

Defensively, McClellan is somewhat of a mixed bag, as his effort level comes and goes, his focus level wavers and his intensity can be contingent on how things are going for him on the other side of the floor. He doesn't always fight through screens with his narrow frame, and is just average defending off the ball. To McClellan's credit, he did show some improved effort defensively in big moments in the postseason, but his fundamentals still need some work. He will be hunched over instead of in a stance which can leave him vulnerable and he can be so focused on his man that he will lose sight of the rest of the floor. When he is locked in, he can move his feet well enough to contain dribble penetration, but he'll need to be more consistent with his approach to carve out a niche for himself at the NBA level, particularly on nights when his shot isn't falling.

On nights that McClellan's points are coming, he can look like a very impressive prospect, capable of buyring an opponent with some deep and tough shots. When they aren't, though, he can get a little mopey when he doesn't get enough touches to his liking, hoist up a bad shot if he hasn't taken one in a while, and outwardly complain to teammates for making mistakes. Already 23 and one of the oldest prospects in our top 100, this might not be a matter of simply needing to mature at this point. As a role-player being surrounded by better players, he'll have to either grow out of this or prove he is indispensable in other areas for coaches to put up with it on a regular basis. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sheldon-McClellan-6248/ ©DraftExpress

We'll see but he ranked 25th among shooting guards in DRPM this year. The eye test says he's a good athlete and played some good defense this year.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#69 » by closg00 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Looks like the kind of player that should have been playing alongside John instead of Jennings all of those times.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: RE: Re: PIF's Sheldon McClellan Thread 

Post#70 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 17, 2017 10:04 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
DCZards wrote:No doubt that this thread deserves this timely bump...and that Sheldon get the minutes that had been going to Thornton. And I think PIF is spot on about the strengths that experienced college players bring with them to the NBA. I think that's why you see guys like Chicago's Valentine, Malcolm Brogan and a few others showing that they can be immediate contributors at the pro level.

I believe we'll start seeing more NBA team taking longer looks at some of the 4-year college players.

BTW, Smith or Morris belong on the "so bad" list, imo.

PIF, I dont want to call out CCJ or anyone else per se, but Valentine has been pretty bad by every single measurement and he is far from a raw/high ceiling player. SSS aside, Mclellan looks like a better player than Valentine.

No, call me out!

Thank you. :)

Reminds me of when I insisted Morris Almond would be better than Reddick. Just KNEW he was better than Nick Young.

Pcbothwel, I learned otherwise. Took...Forever! But I did learn.

:)

(Would still try and trade for Valentine, but thinking you were very much on point!)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: RE: Re: PIF's Sheldon McClellan Thread 

Post#71 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 17, 2017 10:09 pm

closg00 wrote:Looks like the kind of player that should have been playing alongside John instead of Jennings all of those times.

You think?

Me, too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#72 » by closg00 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:48 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,324

Post#73 » by nate33 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:53 pm

closg00 wrote:The headline and article??? Is-if Sheldon does not exist, give him a chance.
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/best-unrestricted-free-agent-shooting-guards-help-wizards-back-bradley-beal

What a depressing list.

The only guy that makes any sense at all is Tyreke Evans.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#74 » by keynote » Thu May 25, 2017 4:05 pm

nate33 wrote:
closg00 wrote:The headline and article??? Is-if Sheldon does not exist, give him a chance.
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/best-unrestricted-free-agent-shooting-guards-help-wizards-back-bradley-beal

What a depressing list.

I don't see Reddick transitioning to a bench role on this next contract.
And hard pass on Tyreke "Rhymefest" Evans. It's borderline irresponsible to sign a guard who can't shoot 3s in 2017.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,158

Post#75 » by AFM » Thu May 25, 2017 4:50 pm

His name is Sheldon Mac.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#76 » by nate33 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:54 pm

keynote wrote:
nate33 wrote:

What a depressing list.

And hard pass on Tyreke "Rhymefest" Evans. It's borderline irresponsible to sign a guard who can't shoot 3s in 2017.

Evans shot .388 from 3-point range last year and .356 this year. He's no 3-point assassin, but he's not really a liability either. And I like that he has the versatility to play 3 positions. It'll make us much more resilient to injury.

But I'm fine with Sheldon Mac too.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#77 » by Dat2U » Thu May 25, 2017 5:57 pm

nate33 wrote:
keynote wrote:
nate33 wrote:What a depressing list.

Evans shot .388 from 3-point range last year and .356 this year. He's no 3-point assassin, but he's not really a liability either. And I like that he has the versatility to play 3 positions. It'll make us much more resilient to injury.

But I'm fine with Sheldon Mac too.

Still don't like the idea of Tyreke. His 3pt % is okay but he's not a volume threat and teams will live with a guy like Tyreke shooting 3s. He isn't a guy that commands respect from perimeter defenders. In other words, his presence isn't creating space for Wall & Beal to attack the paint. With Tyreke, you'd have another guy trying to slash to the basket. I also think Tyreke is more of 3 at this stage of his career and that's not a need for us. I'd rather find a combo guard than a 2/3 anyways.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#78 » by Rafael122 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:32 pm

nate33 wrote:

What a depressing list.

How much can the Warriors offer Ian Clark? He could be this year's Seth Curry, if he can be had for 3-4 million per year, I don't see why they shouldn't go after him.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#79 » by nate33 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

What a depressing list.

How much can the Warriors offer Ian Clark? He could be this year's Seth Curry, if he can be had for 3-4 million per year, I don't see why they shouldn't go after him.

I don't trust his numbers with Golden State. He played most of his minutes on what is effectively an All-Star team playing against demoralized 2nd units. Guarding him was the last thing on the opposition's mind. I feel about as comfortable in projecting him in a backup role on our team as I feel about Sheldon Mac.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#80 » by Kanyewest » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 pm

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:What a depressing list.

I don't trust his numbers with Golden State. He played most of his minutes on what is effectively an All-Star team playing against demoralized 2nd units. Guarding him was the last thing on the opposition's mind. I feel about as comfortable in projecting him in a backup role on our team as I feel about Sheldon Mac.

I have more confidence in Clark than Sheldon Mac because at least it seems he is confident in his 3 point shot, and has been a good shooter in college. His TS% in the playoffs has been crazy and he actually looks like a passable defender in Golden State. You are probably right though that it may make more sense to keep Sheldon Mac at a lower salary.

Return to Washington Wizards