ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Redskins Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Re: The Washington Redskins Thread 

Post#341 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 pm

We generated pressure on Carr with a 4 man rush. Allen & Ioannidis pushed the Raiders interior lineman right into Carrs face on a couple of those sacks. Smith looked a step quicker & stronger then the TE Oakland was trying to block him with & Kerrigan imo looks scarier as a DE with his hand in the dirt then an OLB.

The best thing is these guys are young. 22, 23 & 24 with Kerrigan the old vet at 29.

This game was so much fun !
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#342 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:01 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:We generated pressure on Carr with a 4 man rush. Allen & Ioannidis pushed the Raiders interior lineman right into Carrs face on a couple of those sacks. Smith looked a step quicker & stronger then the TE Oakland was trying to block him with & Kerrigan imo looks scarier as a DE with his hand in the dirt then an OLB.

The best thing is these guys are young. 22, 23 & 24 with Kerrigan the old vet at 29.

Isn't it fun to watch those young guys along with old man Kerrigan. Allen and Ioannidis really get leverage - getting underneath bigger O-linemen. I think Oakland must have not realized that. And Smith's length is such a play-making weapon - all he needed was good coaching and consistent effort, imo. And Gallete and the 2 new Big Mac's and Lanier and Ziggy - those guys can fill out the rotations to keep everyone fresh and provide quality depth. And didn't even mention big Phil Taylor and Ryan Anderson. And at ILB, Zack Brown's sideline to sideline speed and strength has made a difference - they didn't have anyone like him at ILB last year. They didn't even miss Foster last night.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#343 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

Defensive Dominated the Raiders, So worth a second look :football:
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#344 » by benb331 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 am

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:We generated pressure on Carr with a 4 man rush. Allen & Ioannidis pushed the Raiders interior lineman right into Carrs face on a couple of those sacks. Smith looked a step quicker & stronger then the TE Oakland was trying to block him with & Kerrigan imo looks scarier as a DE with his hand in the dirt then an OLB.

Isn't it fun to watch those young guys along with old man Kerrigan. Allen and Ioannidis really get leverage - getting underneath bigger O-linemen. I think Oakland must have not realized that. And Smith's length is such a play-making weapon - all he needed was good coaching and consistent effort, imo. And Gallete and the 2 new Big Mac's and Lanier and Ziggy - those guys can fill out the rotations to keep everyone fresh and provide quality depth. And didn't even mention big Phil Taylor and Ryan Anderson. And at ILB, Zack Brown's sideline to sideline speed and strength has made a difference - they didn't have anyone like him at ILB last year. They didn't even miss Foster last night.

Brown, to me, is the biggest difference maker. He has the play recognition and reliable tackling of London Fletcher with the size and speed of a free safety. Against the Eagles, I saw him run down a WR and realized just the kind of wheels that Brown has. I think pairing him with Spaight, who's clearly faster than Foster, was too much for the Raiders to handle. Those guys can cover in the middle and come up to make solid tackles. Some of the sacks were coverage sacks, and that was largely thanks to the ILB's shutting down the intermediate routes in zone coverage.

How about Swearinger waylaying Beast Mode? BAM!

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#345 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Lol sooooo much fun I keep wanting to see it again :lol:

Read on Twitter
/video/1

AND AGAIN !! :nod:

Read on Twitter
/video/1

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#346 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Check out the Down field blocking by the OL & WR

Read on Twitter
/video/1

:rofl: :rofl:

Gotta love seeing a big man that can get downfield and deliver a block like that
:rockon:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#347 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Birds eye view of a pocket collapsing.
I can't put into words how much I enjoyed this clip.

:P
Read on Twitter
/video/1

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#348 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:Birds eye view of a pocket collapsing.
I can't put into words how much I enjoyed this clip.

:P

4 man rush on a QB that rarely gets sacked and an O-line regarded as probably the best in the AFC. All 4 demolished the pocket in less than 2 seconds. Domination. Can they do that against Dallas? If yes, Manusky's going to be the head coach for another team next season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#349 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:Check out the Down field blocking by the OL & WR

Read on Twitter
/video/1

:rofl: :rofl:

Gotta love seeing a big man that can get downfield and deliver a block like that
:rockon:

And Long was pulling on a lot of plays running downfield like centers aren't supposed to be athletic enough to do. Even the "week spot" - Lauvao - made a tremendous diving block on one play.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#350 » by Dat2U » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:54 pm

McCloughan's guys really stepped up too. Ioannidis, Fuller, Doctson for example. Good to see the 2016 draft wasn't a complete failure.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#351 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 pm

Random observation: Zach Brown can absolutely fly
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#352 » by Dat2U » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:32 am

Wizardspride wrote:Random observation: Zach Brown can absolutely fly

Matrell Spaight too, didn't even notice Mason Foster wasn't there. Yet another McCloughan late round find. It's almost weird to see the Skins linebackers flying around the field!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#353 » by Kanyewest » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:36 am

Ruzious wrote:Still not sure Cousins has had a real good game against a good defense. Oakland's strength has been its offense, and the win last night belonged more to the Skins' defense than its O, imo.

All things considered, Oakland's defense played alright considering that the Raiders's offense went 0-11 on 3rd down and forced them on the field a ton. Washington's defense gifted their offense plenty of opportunities.

I agree, I still want to see more from Kirk Cousins. Even the Rams defense where Washington put up 27 points gave up 38 to the 49ers.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#354 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Still not sure Cousins has had a real good game against a good defense. Oakland's strength has been its offense, and the win last night belonged more to the Skins' defense than its O, imo.

All things considered, Oakland's defense played alright considering that the Raiders's offense went 0-11 on 3rd down and forced them on the field a ton. Washington's defense gifted their offense plenty of opportunities.

I agree, I still want to see more from Kirk Cousins. Even the Rams defense where Washington put up 27 points gave up 38 to the 49ers.

I think it's part of a coherent sixty minute strategy. We don't have the weapons to simply outscore folks anymore. Although we also don't have a powerhouse running game, Gruden is committing to running. It might not result in more points, but it results in time off the clock, fewer turnovers and worse field position for the opponents.

The effect is that the defense is rested and opponents lack rhythm.

I'd actually like to see more Niles Paul as FB lead blocker. Let's turn three yard gains into five yard gains.
In Rizzo we trust
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#355 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:57 pm

I've been hoping to see this clip since the game. When I saw it live I was impressed with how Swearinger helped put Nicholson & Spaight into position. Communication, confidence & leadership ... Good choice for team captain.

Read on Twitter
/video/1

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:41 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:I've been hoping to see this clip since the game. When I saw it live I was impressed with how Swearinger helped put Nicholson & Spaight into position. Communication, confidence & leadership ... Good choice for team captain.

Good point - It appears that Swearinger is the prime defensive play-caller. It's always been one of the ILBers/MLBers in previous years for the Skins - as far as I can remember.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#357 » by BearlyBallin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:
benb331 wrote:I think that was the most dominant Redskins game I've ever seen. Defense punched them in the mouth on Play #2 and never looked back. Helluva game. Chris Thompson, if he stays healthy, is a weapon on par with Jordan Reed.

What a great game - and against a good team. At this rate, Thompson could make the Pro Bowl despite being a backup on his own team. Even with Kelly sidelined, he played in less than half of the offensive downs.

Gotta repeat what I said about the defense - the coaching this year compared to last is night and day. And how about Montae Nicholson? If Cravens hadn't quit, Nicholson probably wouldn't have been activated.

True, many didn't know what to think about the pick during the draft. I read so many conflicting profile/reports.... Too soft - big hitter... Lacks cover skills - put on an island by coaches... Plays on his heels - overly aggressive... Lol so happy to see him flash at a position of need.

By Bill-in-Bangkok @ Hog Haven

"S - At any time in the past 6 or 7 years, I’d’ve said that the Redskins had a bottom-5 safety tandem. Three weeks ago I wouldn’t have thought the starting duo could crack the top half of the league. After Sunday night, I think we’ve hit gold. I think Swearinger & Nicholson are changing the way people think about and game plan for the Redskins."

Hope he's right :pray:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#358 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

I could be wrong because you can't see the whole field when watching tv, but it looked like Swearinger and Nicholson split the field - one left and one right - and when the QB focuses on one side, the far safety gets to lean in and create havoc. So KC will likely make an ajdustment to that, and hopefully the Skins successfully re-adjust. Swearinger is definitely the brains and mouth of the secondary, and Nicholson knows to listen to him. Nicholson's combo of size and speed is best on team at safety since you know who, RIP.

Btw, not sure I've seen 2 players improve as much in 1 year as Fuller and Ioannidis have. And Moreau - already the best special teamer - other than the punter and kicker? Tress is the Way.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#359 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:25 pm

2 upsets by road teams

Rams put up 35 points on the cowgirls. Panthers beat NE scoring 33 points.

Good things happen in threes. Can the skins upset the chiefs?

I think we win if we can stop hunt.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#360 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:02 pm

Swearinger and Reed are both listed as questionable, but it sounds like Swearinger is more like doubtful - since he hasn't practiced. It'll be interesting to see how dependent the Skins' defense is on him - not just in playing safety but for his on-field leadership. Big opportunity for Deshazor Everett. Reed's been practicing, so I expect he'll play, but I'd be inclined to rest him and increase the odds he's healthy for the rest of the season. I don't want him in there if he's just going to be a decoy.

Btw, how bout those Giants? 0-4. And they seem to have a lot of good players. Maybe they'll be getting one of the really good QB's in the 2018 draft to replace 37/38 year old Manning. Hmm, maybe another option next year at QB for the Skins. Actually, I think Cousins returns. The analysts say SF is a front-runner for Cousins, but when he looks at their roster, why would he want to go there? Pierre Garcon will be at least on the brink of over-the-hill, and they're using guys like Aldrick Robinson at the other WR spot. SF has almost no chance at the playoffs in the next couple of years. It makes no sense - unless he's just in it for the money.

Return to Washington Wizards