The Washington Redskins Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Re: The Washington Redskins Thread 

Post#641 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 pm

UDFA signed that have my interest

Quin Blanding, S, UVA - hope he can cover and fill the FS need eventually, some thought he might go in rounds 4-5

Simmie Cobbs, WR, Indiana - 6'4" 200lbs? 4.55 40yd time. Another prospect projected to go in round 4-5 issue was his inconsistency, could look so good one play then drop the next couple

Davon Durant, DL, Marshall - DJ Swearinger's cousin. LB in college. Weight room warrior. Said to have good speed. Arested by police and later suspended from Arizona

Sean Welsh, OG, Iowa - again thought to go in rounds 4-5. Played LT & RT Guard and Tackle at Iowa. Versatility was his strength. I think he even played center some. Short arms, spoke openly about his depression and is treating it with medication.

Timon Parris, OT, Stony Brook - small school left tackle, played on left and right side. I think he will be moved to guard. Believed by some he should have gone in round 5.

I loved what the skins did with the draft. I am almost as excited by these UDFA signings too.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#642 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 am

I cant watch all that much Saturday football, but from highlights only I like the energy and activity of Tim Settle. I got a feeling we are gonna like him. He's got upside that a guy like Jim Tomsula can shape into a dangerous weapon. Hell if I know but it sounds like conditioning inexperience and technique are his major question marks, but he listened to his coach's challenge and in one year transformed his body to improve his conditioning. From what I understand it sounds like we have a culture of highly motivated weight room warriors developing in the D-line platoon. And everybody who talks about Jim Tomsula say he's one of the best position coaches in the league. I'm happy we are finally re-investing in the Bigs of the team. Everything starts at the line. Put some money into it. Offense and D.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#643 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:47 am

Reading on Tim Settle one knock was that his high energy style left him gassed at times. That sounds like a positive to me. Sounds like positioning will help that and I like it if we have the ability to rotate guys in and off the sidelines to keep fresh and hungry predators rushing in to attack attack attack the offense.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#644 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:07 am

I like this draft. They got talent and value for each pick. Seems like they landed guys who have a chance to surprise and contend for spots in the regular rotation. Not just the one surprising talent that fell to us, but hard working guys with each pick up. Even in Mr Irrelevant we got a guy who produces. One of those guys who may not look flashy but simply catches the damn ball in volume. The kind of player Belichick always finds for the Patriots: overlooked but reliable.

As for Guice. Cool, I feel like we were set to improve anyway, but I like the competition at RB, I feel like we got some guys who will never be outworked there, so if Guice feels he can win the job on talent alone he will be surprised, but we've got a chance for significant improvement, so long as Gruden is willing to hand them the rock and let them pound on the ground it every now and again.

And if our O line does in fact improve... Or stay healthy...
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#645 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:54 am

doclinkin wrote:I like this draft. They got talent and value for each pick. Seems like they landed guys who have a chance to surprise and contend for spots in the regular rotation. Not just the one surprising talent that fell to us, but hard working guys with each pick up. Even in Mr Irrelevant we got a guy who produces. One of those guys who may not look flashy but simply catches the damn ball in volume. The kind of player Belichick always finds for the Patriots: overlooked but reliable.

As for Guice. Cool, I feel like we were set to improve anyway, but I like the competition at RB, I feel like we got some guys who will never be outworked there, so if Guice feels he can win the job on talent alone he will be surprised, but we've got a chance for significant improvement, so long as Gruden is willing to hand them the rock and let them pound on the ground it every now and again.

And if our O line does in fact improve... Or stay healthy...

I agreed with every single thing you've posted except the part about improvement/RB competition.

I don't expect any significant improvement from the current guys because honestly, there's just not much talent there.

Basically, Guice is the guy and it's not even close.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#646 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:58 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#647 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:UDFA signed that have my interest

Quin Blanding, S, UVA - hope he can cover and fill the FS need eventually, some thought he might go in rounds 4-5

Simmie Cobbs, WR, Indiana - 6'4" 200lbs? 4.55 40yd time. Another prospect projected to go in round 4-5 issue was his inconsistency, could look so good one play then drop the next couple

Davon Durant, DL, Marshall - DJ Swearinger's cousin. LB in college. Weight room warrior. Said to have good speed. Arested by police and later suspended from Arizona

Sean Welsh, OG, Iowa - again thought to go in rounds 4-5. Played LT & RT Guard and Tackle at Iowa. Versatility was his strength. I think he even played center some. Short arms, spoke openly about his depression and is treating it with medication.

Timon Parris, OT, Stony Brook - small school left tackle, played on left and right side. I think he will be moved to guard. Believed by some he should have gone in round 5.

I loved what the skins did with the draft. I am almost as excited by these UDFA signings too.

Loved Quinn Blanding at Virginia. Great kid, hard worker, very smart.

Lacks a bit of footspeed. Let’s see if his game translates to the next level.

Btw: have you all noticed how many picks the past couple of years are coming from the DMV?

Coincidence or an attempt to find guys who have deeper, more visceral connection to the franchise?
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#648 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#649 » by Wizardspride » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#650 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue May 1, 2018 12:27 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That would be awesome. Could he take EFG with him?
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#651 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 1, 2018 12:42 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That would be awesome. Could he take EFG with him?

:lol: :pray:
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#652 » by Shoe » Tue May 1, 2018 1:51 am

This feels like an abnormally good draft class. When's the last time a player like Guice fell without beating his girlfriend or smoking weed? Really feels like punishment for calling out those questions about being gay.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#653 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 1, 2018 10:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#654 » by Ruzious » Tue May 1, 2018 3:20 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:UDFA signed that have my interest

To me, Welsh was a huge get, Walterfootball.com had him as the 8th best guard in the entire draft class and a player who could develop to close to Pro Bowl caliber. And we NEED a left guard. Sounds like he's the type of athlete that looks bad in the Senior Bowl - apparently he did poorly there. But tough players built like fireplugs with short arms can play guard and even excel there.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#655 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 8, 2018 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#656 » by LyricalRico » Tue May 8, 2018 11:53 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Meh, was hoping for an upgrade at that spot. No details on terms, so hopefully it’s team-friendly enough that it won’t stand in the way of somebody else stepping up.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#657 » by Ruzious » Wed May 9, 2018 8:52 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Meh, was hoping for an upgrade at that spot. No details on terms, so hopefully it’s team-friendly enough that it won’t stand in the way of somebody else stepping up.

I'd be surprised if Arie doesn't beat out Lauvao. Arie graded out better than Luvao last year, and they say he looks better this offseason. Lauvao was... not good last year. Arie's obviously nothing special, but I think he's better than folks expect.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#658 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 am

Is Nsecke not an option at starting left guard?
In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#659 » by Wizardspride » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#660 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Washington Wizards