ImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Mahinmi

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,054

Re: Ian Mahinmi 

Post#61 » by queridiculo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Saved cap space for three seasons to replace Nene with a less skilled version.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#62 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:49 pm

He’s hurt... AGAIN.
In Rizzo we trust
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#63 » by closg00 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 am

:lol: :evil: :banghead:

Grunfelded again, Ernie's panic contract with no team-options or injury protections for the organization.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#64 » by 80sballboy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:21 pm

So if he is out, is Jason Smith healthy enough to be the backup center? It might be time to move Kieff to the 5 on the second unit. Scott to the 4 as the starter even though Porter could be the 4 but Oubre can't seem to play consistently enough to warrant that. Kind of losing bodies up front.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#65 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm

80sballboy wrote:So if he is out, is Jason Smith healthy enough to be the backup center? It might be time to move Kieff to the 5 on the second unit. Scott to the 4 as the starter even though Porter could be the 4 but Oubre can't seem to play consistently enough to warrant that. Kind of losing bodies up front.

Guys, unless its more than a week or two this isnt bad. Unfortunately, we needed Wall to get hurt for Brooks to play Sato... Now look where we are.
Mahinmi not playing for a few games or so means Jason Smith plays and starts hitting his 3's, or Morris gets some time at the 5. Either one is a positive for this team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#66 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:50 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
80sballboy wrote:So if he is out, is Jason Smith healthy enough to be the backup center? It might be time to move Kieff to the 5 on the second unit. Scott to the 4 as the starter even though Porter could be the 4 but Oubre can't seem to play consistently enough to warrant that. Kind of losing bodies up front.

Guys, unless its more than a week or two this isnt bad. Unfortunately, we needed Wall to get hurt for Brooks to play Sato... Now look where we are.
Mahinmi not playing for a few games or so means Jason Smith plays and starts hitting his 3's, or Morris gets some time at the 5. Either one is a positive for this team.

I thought it was pretty positive watching Mahinmi and Sato combine to form a stifling defense on the 2nd unit.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#67 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm

nate33 wrote:I thought it was pretty positive watching Mahinmi and Sato combine to form a stifling defense on the 2nd unit.

But there is a certain serenity in familiarity - and Mahinmi stifling the bench in a suit is certainly familiar. :(
Bucket! Bucket!
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by pcbothwel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:54 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

I thought it was pretty positive watching Mahinmi and Sato combine to form a stifling defense on the 2nd unit.

Agreed, but I think Smith (and even Morris) can really cause a spark by spreading the floor with 5 out and allow our big 3 to post up and slash.
Also, the better Smith looks, the easier it would be to dump him and CMC to get under tax.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,109

Post#69 » by J-Ves » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:15 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

If he’s out a couple of weeks it’s not a big deal, but knee pain for a guy with a history of knee problems is scary.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,054

Post#70 » by queridiculo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 pm

The absurd part is that for this contract to even begin to make sense is that the Mahinmi deal was supposed to address Gortat's anticipated decline and free agency status in 2019.

Now thanks to Ian's bum wheels Washington can't even bank on that.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#71 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 6:54 pm

I had to go 11 pages back to bump this thread.

Mahinmi has looked really good in the preseason. He is light on his feet, aware on D, and hitting shots from the FT line and 3-point line. The only negative is that his hands are still made of stone.

Is it possible that Mahinmi will be more effective than Dwight Howard this year? If nothing else, his good play should allow Brooks to bench Howard if Howard isn't playing the right way.
closg00
RealGM

Post#72 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 7:10 pm

nate33 wrote:I had to go 11 pages back to bump this thread.

Mahinmi has looked really good in the preseason. He is light on his feet, aware on D, and hitting shots from the FT line and 3-point line. The only negative is that his hands are still made of stone.

Is it possible that Mahinmi will be more effective than Dwight Howard this year? If nothing else, his good play should allow Brooks to bench Howard if Howard isn't playing the right way.

After a couple of years, he does look competent now, but I will withhold final judgement until 4-5 real games have past. Mahinmi IS still a wildly overpaid back-up Center, having him NOT sucking would be huge.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#73 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 9, 2018 7:33 pm

nate33 wrote:Is it possible that Mahinmi will be more effective than Dwight Howard this year? If nothing else, his good play should allow Brooks to bench Howard if Howard isn't playing the right way.

If both are healthy, Dwight will start, but if both are healthy, Mahinmi is the better player. I don't see Dwight getting benched. Coaches pick up on players' mentalities. Dwight is a problem that no coach has managed to handle particularly well recently, and he's played for quite a few coaches over the past few seasons. Mahinmi wasn't even a bad player in seasons past, even with his terrible offensive game. His biggest problem is that he can't stay healthy. That's also a concern for Dwight, too. I don't think we're going to see too much of a battle for minutes between those two, though. Whoever can play will play. If the Wizards could only pick one player to stay healthy all season long, it would be Mahinmi, though. I'm not sold on his newfound offensive game translating to the regular season, but even if it doesn't, he's a good player.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:42 pm

If there was a "Wizard" of Oz, we'd want him to give Ian hands.

Last season, he dramatically improved his foul shooting - but it' looked flukish because his shot was sitll very flat. But this season... his improvement there is totally believable - he must have worked hard on it, because he's actually got a nice arch on his shot, and it looks completely different. I'm going to predict he makes a higher percent on the line than Beal and Wall do this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM

Post#75 » by closg00 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:If there was a "Wizard" of Oz, we'd want him to give Ian hands.

Last season, he dramatically improved his foul shooting - but it' looked flukish because his shot was sitll very flat. But this season... his improvement there is totally believable - he must have worked hard on it, because he's actually got a nice arch on his shot, and it looks completely different. I'm going to predict he makes a higher percent on the line than Beal and Wall do this season.

He can't finish around the rim, but he has picked up 3-point shooting, very ironic....weird.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#76 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:38 pm

closg00 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:If there was a "Wizard" of Oz, we'd want him to give Ian hands.

He can't finish around the rim, but he has picked up 3-point shooting, very ironic....weird.

It's a testament to his hard work. He remains uncoordinated so he lacks touch around the rim when off balance and rushed; but he has worked real hard to master the consistent repetitive task of free throw shooting.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#77 » by trast66 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 am

More effective than Dwight Howard? Sure, they both are unplayable in crunch time or playoffs, but at least Ian is not a clown. I’m not seeing the light on his feet part.
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#78 » by zero2hero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:55 pm

trast66 wrote:

More effective than Dwight Howard? Sure, they both are unplayable in crunch time or playoffs, but at least Ian is not a clown. I’m not seeing the light on his feet part.

He was our only big last year that didn't look totally helpless at defending the pick and roll on the switch and in space. That's not saying much but comparatively speaking he def looks better than the stiffs we have out there
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#79 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:47 pm

trast66 wrote:

Perhaps I should have said lighter on his feet. He lost weight and the improved mobility is evident, but I didn't mean to imply that he moves laterally like Steven Adams or Draymond Green or anything.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by pcbothwel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:00 pm

nate33 wrote:
trast66 wrote:

Perhaps I should have said lighter on his feet. He lost weight and the improved mobility is evident, but I didn't mean to imply that he moves laterally like Steven Adams or Draymond Green or anything.

nate... not need to capitulate... Ian has very quick hands in feet. He has a mountain of deficiency's, but that aint one of them.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

As a unit, I think Sato, Green, and Ian will be an extremely high IQ defense that helps each other and communicates. Sprinkle in a little length and athleticism with Oubre and they could really cause trouble for a lot of teams, especially their 2nd unit.

Return to Washington Wizards