ImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Mahinmi

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Re: Ian Mahinmi 

Post#21 » by doclinkin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 pm

My read is that our defensive breakdowns are a function of our failure to prevent dribble penetration. Oubre for Bogey gives us offense, but Kelly had been key in our stifling defense at times. His ability to guard 1-3 and his effort on that side of the ball forced the ball to travel laterally, stalling the ball at the point of attack and causing deflections that turned to hurried shots or 50/50 balls and steals.

Without his effort, guards turn the corner on Bogey in the P/R and force Gortat to switch and then chase. He doesn't have the quicktwitch speed to recover on a change of direction. And this team has been conserving energy for a quarter every game, then turning it on late. Come from behind efforts take the wind out of you. Our squad has been conserving energy on the defensive end, where Kelly had all the energy of youth to focus his best efforts on this end of the court. That effort inspires others. And his frenzied effort allowed John and Brad to catch a breath for a few seconds on court when the ball would stick with Kelly's man when he pressed them and gave no passing angles with that pteranodon wingspan

Ditto to some degree Satoransky switched to Jennings. Neither scores, but Sato is long and gives effort on D, where Jennings gives us effort on running up the court then turning the ball over or missing a shot.

Also, Morris has to feel appreciated to want to play hard, in our scorching start to 2017 he was feisty and peevish about the disresepct of opponents and pundits. Over the All-star break he lost momentum.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#22 » by Mojo Amok » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Wow, I just checked out the NBA.com stat for deflections because someone was asking about Oubre and I noticed where Mahinmi ranks on a per minute basis:

More or less first in the whole damn league depending on how you want to screen out the really low minutes guys. :nod:

http://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/#!?sort=DEFLECTIONS&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=PerMinute
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,072

Post#23 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 3:52 pm

Wanted to bump this for future reference.

Mahinmi has been pretty mediocre so far this year. Hands of stone. Lower steals and blocks and higher turnovers and fouls. Let's hope he at least regains his form of last March when he was a pretty imposing defensive presence (18th in the league in DRPM).
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#24 » by pcbothwel » Wed Nov 1, 2017 4:01 pm

nate33 wrote:Wanted to bump this for future reference.

Mahinmi has been pretty mediocre so far this year. Hands of stone. Lower steals and blocks and higher turnovers and fouls. Let's hope he at least regains his form of last March when he was a pretty imposing defensive presence (18th in the league in DRPM).

Agreed, but I will say we get spoiled by Gortat's GREAT hands. Frazier has fed Mahinmi some garbage passes that he fumbles but arent his fault.
Coach76
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#25 » by Coach76 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:42 pm

Ian must have some of the worst hands in the league. Has anyone ever seen him catch a ball cleanly? I still don't see the defensive skill that led to his signing. He seems to be running gingerly and he fouls way too much(esp. for a guy that's been in the league a long time). My question is, what can he do to help this team? This is what Brooks has to discover. Ian has some NBA-level skills. If he went out and grabbed a bunch of boards every game and protected the rim, I'd look past the contract and his lack of offense.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Post#26 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:47 pm

I can think of a few ways Mahinmi can help this team.

- don't suit up
- ask for a trade
- wear suction cups hidden on finger splints
- retire
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#27 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:49 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Agreed, but I will say we get spoiled by Gortat's GREAT hands. Frazier has fed Mahinmi some garbage passes that he fumbles but arent his fault.

Dude can't catch balls that hit him square in the hands, heck even rebounds and loose balls have a tendency to end up everywhere except for his hands.

He makes Kwame Brown look like Jim Kaat.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#28 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 3, 2017 3:49 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:Wow, I just checked out the NBA.com stat for deflections because someone was asking about Oubre and I noticed where Mahinmi ranks on a per minute basis:

More or less first in the whole damn league depending on how you want to screen out the really low minutes guys. :nod:

http://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/#!?sort=DEFLECTIONS&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PerMode=PerMinute

Do fumbled rebounds and passes count as deflections? Would certainly put this stat in perspective.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#29 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:32 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Agreed, but I will say we get spoiled by Gortat's GREAT hands. Frazier has fed Mahinmi some garbage passes that he fumbles but arent his fault.

Frazier has been terrible. I'm still not sure he's any better than Jennings
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#30 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 4, 2017 3:24 am

I don’t ever want to see this scrub on the floor again.
In Rizzo we trust
GhostofChenier
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#31 » by GhostofChenier » Sun Nov 5, 2017 7:03 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Frazier has been terrible. I'm still not sure he's any better than Jennings

He is not soooooo slow
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#32 » by CobraCommander » Mon Nov 6, 2017 2:47 am

Reading this thread from beginning to end is hilarious and highly recommended...we all started so high on Ian...and slowly and consistently we all soured on him...it was consistent and slow like water eroding granite over centuries and leaving a gorge! Ian has no friends in dc left. thats what happens when you get paid, dont work on your game over the summer and come back one year older but not a one iota better in any category. He catches the ball like he is surprised that someone threw a orange sphere at him and its the first time he has made contact with such a thing. It would be funny if he played for someone else...
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#33 » by Tricky_Kid » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:52 pm

Get rid of this trash ASAP

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#34 » by Dat2U » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:56 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Reading this thread from beginning to end is hilarious and highly recommended...we all started so high on Ian...and slowly and consistently we all soured on him...it was consistent and slow like water eroding granite over centuries and leaving a gorge! Ian has no friends in dc left. thats what happens when you get paid, dont work on your game over the summer and come back one year older but not a one iota better in any category. He catches the ball like he is surprised that someone threw a orange sphere at him and its the first time he has made contact with such a thing. It would be funny if he played for someone else...

Don't include "we" in this. He was a terrible signing from day one. Most knew Ernie screwed the pooch again immediately.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,072

Post#35 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 7:09 pm

You can read even more complaints about Mahinmi on this thread:

Mahinmi, not Horford
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#36 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:31 pm

nate33 wrote:You can read even more complaints about Mahinmi on this thread:

Mahinmi, not Horford

You called it correctly from the jump
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#37 » by closg00 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Don't we all wish we could get a do-over on this signing and have that cap space. Check-out a very spry Emeka Okafor trying to make a come-back into the NBA. Yes he's "old", but compare his play to that of Mahinmi, would love to have Okafor or someone else later in the season.
http://gleague.nba.com/games/20171106/WESDEL/
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,825

Post#38 » by tontoz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:Wow, I just checked out the NBA.com stat for deflections because someone was asking about Oubre and I noticed where Mahinmi ranks on a per minute basis:

Do fumbled rebounds and passes count as deflections? Would certainly put this stat in perspective.

He might be the league leader in offensive deflections per 36. :lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#39 » by J-Ves » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm

I noticed it was a Lakers layup drill until Mahinmi checked in. I would love to see the teams defensive rating with him on/off the court for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Re: RE: Re: Ian Mahinmi 

Post#40 » by Kanyewest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:24 pm

J-Ves wrote:I noticed it was a Lakers layup drill until Mahinmi checked in. I would love to see the teams defensive rating with him on/off the court for this game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Mahinmi had a defensive rating of 98 but all the starters posted a better DRTG than that, probably due to Lonzo taking so many 3s.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201711090WAS.html

Sent from my LG-D851 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards