#2 seed in the East
42%

Total votes: 12

TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Re: GT #70: Wizards @ Celtics 7:30 PM (CSN/1500 AM) [3/20/17] 

Post#381 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Wizards are in a slump. I'm sure they will string together a few wins over the next two week and return to pre All star break form. Oubre, Smith, and Jennings brought the team back in the game. Coach Brooks should have benched the starters for the rest of the game to make a statement. Otto has to play hard every game. Morris is shooting way to much. Wall is a sieve on defense after being a plus defender in former years. Beal was solid but needs to rebound more like in college and play with his playoff intensity on defense.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#382 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:08 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:That unit was +2 over a 5:27 stretch.

I was hoping Brooks would resist the urge to put the starters back in when that group cut the lead to single digits just to send a message. When Smith picked up the sixth and Morris was reinserted those hopes were quickly dashed.

Not to split hairs, but the group you're talking about had Sato in place of Mahinmi. That group was actually +8 over a 6:57 stretch....

Which is great, obviously. But, as with the lineup Nat critiques, it's not data that allows for a conclusion to be drawn (not that you're suggesting otherwise). It's a tiny sample in a single situation. Brooks or any coach will base his rotations on a much larger bunch of data.

We don't have a problem w/ how we use our ingredients. We have a problem with what ingredients do we have. Morris has reverted to his usual level of play, Bojan's deficiencies were always present but masked by a stretch of other-worldly shooting, Jennings was waived by a worse team than the Wizards -- what would have made anyone think he was going to add value?

We've got 4 good players & the still-raw Oubre. & Mahinmi, whom I shouldn't forget. He isn't playing to his level of last year, but he's still been pretty good. But... that's it.

We had a hell of a run, going 18-3 from 1/6 thru the all star break. Since then, we're 8-7, but in fact we're down by @1.2 points a game over that stretch. With 12 games left, & only 4 of them at home, going .500 the rest of the way looks to be about what we should expect. Will that keep us in front of the Raptors?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#383 » by AFM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 pm

nate33 wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:ONLY DOGS in pre-game posts in game threads from now on.

SMH

:nonono:

The slump started when we emphasized dogs.

I had the 5 game win streak when I was the thread starter w/ dogs in the first post.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#384 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I just wish the playoffs were here. We are in a funk, but also look a little slow, tired, and disinterested. We actually look pretty bad, but I think it's because of being tired. Looking back at these L's, it would have been so nice to rest some players. Our players could really use some rest before the playoffs, but Im not sure it'll happen. I'm still excited for the PO's, because you know they are capable of bringing it...like the funeral game, and the CLE game.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#385 » by montestewart » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:ONLY DOGS in pre-game posts in game threads from now on.

SMH

:nonono:

The slump started when we emphasized dogs.

It's tough to win with so much emphasis on dogs

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#386 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
nate33 wrote:That unit was +2 over a 5:27 stretch.

I was hoping Brooks would resist the urge to put the starters back in when that group cut the lead to single digits just to send a message. When Smith picked up the sixth and Morris was reinserted those hopes were quickly dashed.

Not to split hairs, but the group you're talking about had Sato in place of Mahinmi. That group was actually +8 over a 6:57 stretch.

The lineup NatP4 criticized only played together in the 1st half.

Splitting hairs?????? Satoransky's defense is the best on the team. His D Rating is the best on the team over the last 15 games, Jason smith played center over that stretch, Bojan didn't have to guard the perimeter, he played small ball 4.

It makes a HUUUUUUGE difference.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#387 » by NatP4 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Pretty hilarious to read all the angry tweets from Czech fans on twitter about Satoransky playing shooting guard. Then the only evidence we have of him playing point guard was about a 3 game stretch of our bench dominating everyone, and going on a 29-3 run against Toronto.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#388 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm

NatP4 wrote:Pretty hilarious to read all the angry tweets from Czech fans on twitter about Satoransky playing shooting guard. Then the only evidence we have of him playing point guard was about a 3 game stretch of our bench dominating everyone, and going on a 29-3 run against Toronto.

It might be easier to see the obvious if you didn't feel like you had to talk Satoransky up so much & so pointlessly.

After all, if Satoransky plays backup PG, he plays instead of Jennings.

Is Satoransky better than Brandon Jennings? Well, he has certainly played better as a Wizard than Jennings has -- by a lot.

How about on the season as a whole? It's closer, but there's no reason to prefer Jennings overall.

How about Satoransky's small sample vs. Jennings entire NBA career? Satoransky still gets the nod.

The point isn't that Satoransky has been all that good. I hope he'll improve, but it's obvious that it was idiotic to pick him over the guys we preferred at his spot. But, he's certainly not a downgrade from Jennings -- moreover, we have a stake in developing him, which we don't with Jennings.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#389 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 am

The Wizards have played 15 games in 25 days since the all-star break including a west coast trip.

Wall, Beal & Gortat have logged heavy minutes all season b/c of a horrible bench. Gortat is averaging a career high in minutes. Porter has been battling a hip injury most of the season.

Unfortunately the rent came due. End of story. Wall might not like to hear it but he and his fellow starters could use a bit of rest.

I think we should focus on the war and not the battle for 2nd or 3rd. We need to be ready for the playoffs instead of going into the postseason with dead legs.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#390 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:33 pm

Glad to see you back, Dat -- had me worried for a few days! :)

I agree about being ready for the playoffs. Especially since it's impossible to predict right now who we'd play in R1, with the Hawks, Pacers, Bucks & Heat all w/in 2.5 games of one another, and both the Bucks & Heat playing much better than the other two.

If we win in R1 (not a given), being #4 would put us up against Cleveland in R2 instead of Boston if we were #3. Either one would be a very tough series.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#391 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 pm

payitforward wrote:Glad to see you back, Dat -- had me worried for a few days! :)

I agree about being ready for the playoffs. Especially since it's impossible to predict right now who we'd play in R1, with the Hawks, Pacers, Bucks & Heat all w/in 2.5 games of one another, and both the Bucks & Heat playing much better than the other two.

If we win in R1 (not a given), being #4 would put us up against Cleveland in R2 instead of Boston if we were #3. Either one would be a very tough series.

Thanks payit. Unfortunately I fear a matchup with either Miami or Milwaukee might lead to a first round exit. We simply don't matchup well with Miami at all and Milwaukee will give us all we can handle unless we are locked in defensively. I fear Atlanta & Indiana the least. I think Milwaukee & Miami may catch Indiana and possibly Atlanta though so it's really hard to say where our ideal position would be. I think if we're playing well with fresh legs we could beat anyone but Cleveland. If we're playing close to what we are now, it's a 50-50 bet against Atl & Indy and we'd likely lose to anyone else.

I worry the most about Gortat. His defense has really been bad. He played an insane amount of minutes for a 7-0 footer in the first half of the year. Secondly, I'm deeply concerned Otto is not right physically but gutting it out. I'd give up a few wins now to be fresh and ready for war come post season even if it means Cleveland in the 2nd round.

Return to Washington Wizards