Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#81 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 pm

NATS draft through 5 rounds

1- 25 Romero, Seth LHP L/L JR 6'3" 250lbs DOB: 04/19/96
2- 65 Crowe, Wil RHP R/R SR 6'2" 240lbs DOB: 09/09/94
3-103 Raquet, Nick LHP R/L JR 6'0" 215lbs DOB: 12/12/95
4-133 Freeman, Cole 2B R/R SR 5'9" 175lbs DOB: 09/27/94
5-163 Hill, Brigham RHP R/R JR 5'11" 190lbs DOB: 07/08/95

Wil Crowe fast ball, curve, slider & change up missed 2016 after Tommy John surgery. Drafted twice by the Cleveland Indians. Projected to be #3 starter.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#82 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Nats 3rd rd pick

MLB.com Draft expert Jonathan Mayo says, "Raquet almost certainty profiles as a bullpen arm who could settle in as a valuable left-handed setup man if he can consistently throw strikes."

I think I read somewhere that Racquet needs better command with all his pitches. But once he finds the plate he'll be ready to help the bullpen. :banghead:
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#83 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:40 am

Cole Freeman, 2b
from his LSU bio
displays an all-out hustling style of play, great infield defense, outstanding speed on the base paths, and excellent hitting ability ... the prototypical “table-setter” on offense that can put a lot of pressure on the other team with his bunting and base-stealing ability ... also has the skill to make extraordinary plays on defense

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#84 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:50 pm

NATS DRAFT through rd 12
1-25 Romero, Seth LHP L/L 6'3" 250lbs DOB: 04/19/96
2-65 Crowe, Wil RHP R/R 6'2" 240lbs DOB: 09/09/94
3-103 Raquet, Nick LHP R/L 6'0" 215lbs DOB: 12/12/95
4-133 Freeman, Cole 2B R/R 5'9" 175lbs DOB: 09/27/94
5-163 Hill, Brigham RHP R/R 5'11" 190lbs DOB: 07/08/95
6-193 Johnston, Kyle RHP R/R 6'0" 205lbs DOB: 07/17/96
7-223 Tetreault, Jackson RHP R/R 6'5" 170lbs DOB: 06/03/96
8-253 Brasher, Jared RHP R/R 6'2" 200lbs DOB: 01/03/95
9-283 Troop, Alex LHP L/L JR 6'5" 210lbs DOB: 07/19/96
10-313 Turner, Trey RHP R/R 6'1" 195lbs DOB: 06/15/96
11-343 Connell, Justin OF R/R 6'1" 185lbs DOB: 03/11/99
12-373 Stoeckinger, Jackson LHP L/L 6'3" 210lbs DOB: 02/13/96

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:27 pm

From Patrick Karraker, Arch Authority on Bryce Montes de Oca (NATS 15th rd pick)

"Off-the-field circumstances aside, Montes de Oca is a scout’s dream, as he stands 6-foot-7 and 265 pounds, possesses a high-90s fastball, and throws an above-average curveball. His durability is a major question mark, though; Montes de Oca had Tommy John surgery in high school, which led him to fall to the Chicago White Sox in the 14th round of the 2014 MLB Draft, and he missed almost the entire 2016 after having nerve transposition surgery on his elbow.
As Pipeline writes, though, Montes de Oca may still be an imposing bullpen weapon even if he’s not durable enough to be a starter, making him a worthwhile gamble in the second or third round"

Throws 92-96 & has touched 100, but can be wild sometimes. Worth a risk at this round. I was hoping we take him day 3.
:D

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:20 pm

With the injuries to Eaton, Werth & Heisey this season, two young outfielders,Taylor & Goodwin have recieved playing time and produced. Last year fans & maybe even the team felt these two might never reach their potential. I recall once upon a time, both were talked of having the talent to someday being the starting CF for the Nats. Yet Goodwin never did as well in the minors as hoped and Taylor rushed up to the big leagues a few year ago due to another injury (Werthy too?) has never carried his big spring training averages into the regular season.

It's great to see them both producing this year, I really hope they succeed.

I love how Ray Knight & Johnny Holiday are such fans in these two clips. So much better then grumpy Ray & mellow Johnny. :lol:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 am

From Bill Mayer

Nats are still trying to acquire a closer...

"Despite recently adding Ryan Madson and Sean Doolittle to the bullpen, the Nationals are still considering trading for a closer, Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports. Among those being considered are Zach Britton, David Robinson, and Justin Wilson."

(Nats sweep the Reds) :D

~ Confucius about 500 BC
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Post#88 » by bsilver » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:51 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:With the injuries to Eaton, Werth & Heisey this season, two young outfielders,Taylor & Goodwin have recieved playing time and produced. Last year fans & maybe even the team felt these two might never reach their potential. I recall once upon a time, both were talked of having the talent to someday being the starting CF for the Nats. Yet Goodwin never did as well in the minors as hoped and Taylor rushed up to the big leagues a few year ago due to another injury (Werthy too?) has never carried his big spring training averages into the regular season.

I love how Ray Knight & Johnny Holiday are such fans in these two clips. So much better then grumpy Ray & mellow Johnny. :lol:

I'd given up on Taylor, and so probably did the Nats. Couldn't seem to lay off bad breaking balls. Great to see him turn it around. Who gets benched when he comes back? Raburn has been playing well, so probably Goodwin.

Werth gets his job back when he's better, but not sure what's best for the team. He may be over the hill.

Next year with Eaton back, and Werth's contract ended, what happens? Taylor and Eaton both good CFers. One goes to LF. Potentially a great lineup next year if all healthy.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#89 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:45 pm

bsilver wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:With the injuries to Eaton, Werth & Heisey this season, two young outfielders,Taylor & Goodwin have recieved playing time and produced. Last year fans & maybe even the team felt these two might never reach their potential. I recall once upon a time, both were talked of having the talent to someday being the starting CF for the Nats. Yet Goodwin never did as well in the minors as hoped and Taylor rushed up to the big leagues a few year ago due to another injury (Werthy too?) has never carried his big spring training averages into the regular season.

I'd given up on Taylor, and so probably did the Nats. Couldn't seem to lay off bad breaking balls. Great to see him turn it around. Who gets benched when he comes back? Raburn has been playing well, so probably Goodwin.

Werth gets his job back when he's better, but not sure what's best for the team. He may be over the hill.

Next year with Eaton back, and Werth's contract ended, what happens? Taylor and Eaton both good CFers. One goes to LF. Potentially a great lineup next year if all healthy.

When MAT returns to CF my guess is that Dusty goes back to platooning Goodwin/Raburn unless Goodwin continues to slump.
As far as Werth I hope he returns this year but I don't know about next year. 2018 I think Eaton plays CF & MAT plays LF.

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#90 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Joe Ross has Tommy John surgery today in Texas.
Yet he still takes time to give some love to Edwin Jackson, who had a very solid start going 7 innings vs the Angels.
Wish him the best.
Read on Twitter
/photo/1

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Sean Doolitttle gets the save. After walking the first batter in the ninth on 4 pitches he settles down and gets Trout to ground out and Pujols to fly out to end the drama.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-596f6157/turbine/la-1500471634-z2oc4kxsvu-snap-image/1400/1400x788

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Victor Robles should be untouchable

"Erick Fedde is on the brink of making it to the majors. Juan Soto’s bat is quickly becoming one of the best in the minors. Brian Goodwin is finally establishing himself at the MLB level. Both Carter Kieboom and Andrew Stevenson have seen their prospect stocks skyrocket this season. None of them should be as valuable to the Nationals as Robles."

- Matt Weyrich, Federal baseball on Victor Robles

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Andrew Stevenson joining the team in Arizona, after Heisey injures his groin on his triple in yesterday's game. Rayburn going on bereavement leave today after hurting himself on a diving catch Friday. Adding Stevens will give us 3 healthy outfielders. Lind can play in an emergency but doesn't hit left handers well. Difo can play OF but is starting at SS & has only had 2 games experience in the OF.

Stevens had been mentioned in trade rumors earlier this month. Good defensive CF with range and able to get a good read and jump on the ball, but below average arm. Recently started to hit better in AAA Syracuse after a poor start. Good speed on bases, described as a guy playing with his hair on fire. Lol in a good way I hope. :lol:

Not on the 40 man. This means a roster move.
(Can't find a Koda Glover injury update)
:banghead:

~ Confucius about 500 BC
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,867

Post#94 » by Wizardspride » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#95 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:05 pm

I really hope Robles isn't traded. We don't need another pitcher, our offense is fine but if Harper leaves there's no one in the system that could possibly replace him if Robles is shipped off.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#96 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I really hope Robles isn't traded. We don't need another pitcher, our offense is fine but if Harper leaves there's no one in the system that could possibly replace him if Robles is shipped off.

He's should be untradeable. Even if the O's are dangling Britton and it's not likely these teams ever make a deal, I would say no. But a smaller deal for a No. 5 starter or another middle reliever/set-up guy is something I can see happen.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#97 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#98 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#99 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 pm

How ridiculous would the Nats lineup be if they had Turner and Eaton healthy most of the season? Maybe the best of this generation? Btw, have folks noticed how good Rendon is?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#100 » by tkunit » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:05 pm

The Nats need to send that pitcher a gift basket. They ended his major league career with that HR explosion.

Return to Washington Wizards