ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XIV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Re: Political Roundtable Part XIV 

Post#1841 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Yeesh - this sucks. I think Charter Schools are important - he just lumped us in with the racists. What a knucklehead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/nyregion/democrats-race-charter-schools-loeb.html
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1842 » by gtn130 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 pm

payitforward wrote:As to the response of Donald Trump... the guy sank beneath contempt a while ago. I don't think he has Fascist convictions or is an alt.right by conviction or is a racist by conviction.

I don't think he has any convictions whatever. To me at least, that makes his responses even more inadequate than they would otherwise be. Forget that he's a horrible President (not that it's possible to forget), he's a horrible human being.

If there were a Hell he'd burn there to eternity.

I dunno. Pretty sure he has a long history of housing discrimination.

That said, he clearly won't denounce Nazis because they make up a large part of his base. Could be disastrous for his approval rating.

Trump truly is a complete and utter scumbag, and anyone who voted for him should feel deeply remorseful at this stage. Sadly, lots of Trump voters probably liked what he said.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1843 » by Wizardspride » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 pm

gtn130 wrote:
payitforward wrote:As to the response of Donald Trump... the guy sank beneath contempt a while ago. I don't think he has Fascist convictions or is an alt.right by conviction or is a racist by conviction.

I don't think he has any convictions whatever. To me at least, that makes his responses even more inadequate than they would otherwise be. Forget that he's a horrible President (not that it's possible to forget), he's a horrible human being.

That said, he clearly won't denounce Nazis because they make up a large part of his base. Could be disastrous for his approval rating.

Trump truly is a complete and utter scumbag, and anyone who voted for him should feel deeply remorseful at this stage. Sadly, lots of Trump voters probably liked what he said.

Perhaps Mrs Clinton was accurate in describing a certain segment of Trump's supporters (the base imo) as "Deplorables".
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1844 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

AFM wrote:lets all take turns roasting these guys

I'm pretty sure these guys are responsible for 80% of the use of ebonics on the internet and also make up a significant portion of the population of the main reddit pages. The stepford husbands are dangerous when they go haywire. Plus, you can tell they're hard done by because of all those collars. I mean, young white males are clearly the most discriminated against section of the population in the world. I remember when those college students in the Borat movie tried to sue him for defamation only to have it thrown out because he didn't force them to say or do anything and they agreed to everything. Turns out there are quite a lot of those guys around.
Bucket! Bucket!
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#1845 » by AFM » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:59 pm

yo dem tiki boyz!! spitting image of George Rockwell
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#1846 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I mean, suppose we give Trump the benefit of the doubt. He's not racist. It's just that he has Bannon on his staff and Bannon crafted a statement that says the violence was everyone's fault, not the Nazis.

Ok.

What in the world is Bannon doing on your staff you utter moron?!?!?! WHY DO YOU HAVE A NAZI ON YOUR STAFF?!?!?!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1847 » by JWizmentality » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I mean, suppose we give Trump the benefit of the doubt. He's not racist. It's just that he has Bannon on his staff and Bannon crafted a statement that says the violence was everyone's fault, not the Nazis.

Ok.

What in the world is Bannon doing on your staff you utter moron?!?!?! WHY DO YOU HAVE A NAZI ON YOUR STAFF?!?!?!

Bannon isn't the only one either.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1848 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm not a racist, I just accommodate racist actions... yeah, at some point, lines get crossed no matter how you want to split hairs. To be honest, though, I expect this is something that is going to get worse before it gets better. The financial grounds argument doesn't hold a lot of weight to it, honestly, and while in the short relatively short term it's a common excuse, given that minorities aren't actually the ones causing the financial burden here, but rather the financial/economic/industrial establishment and automation are driving the issues with labour as it has traditionally worked, in the long term, it's really just a lose-lose argument for everyone but the insanely wealthy. Automation is ultimately going to hit higher paying jobs in the financial, medical, legal, etc. professions as well as AI starts becoming more functional. Things like abortion are going to become less strong as Church-going numbers continue to shrink, and honestly, it's a rather interesting issue as those arguments line up far more strongly with Muslim and Catholic (largely Latino and African American) values than they do along white supremacist lines. In the end, it's racism pure and simple pushing back here, and history has taught us where this leads, but we never really seem to want to learn, and with modern technology, should things veer off the rails, things could get really, really bad - irreversibly so.

That said, I think Trump is about Trump, and to that end, he really doesn't have any morals whatsoever, which isn't the same thing as racist, but also isn't actually any better, and is arguably even worse.
Bucket! Bucket!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#1849 » by Kanyewest » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

Perhaps Mrs Clinton was accurate in describing a certain segment of Trump's supporters (the base imo) as "Deplorables".

I think HIllary is right that some are deplorable but probably made a mistake politically when she said half of the Trump supporters are deplorable. Although who knows, maybe she would have been better served not apologizing for those comments.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#1850 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

I think HIllary is right that some are deplorable but probably made a mistake politically when she said half of the Trump supporters are deplorable. Although who knows, maybe she would have been better served not apologizing for those comments.

This is what Trump gets right. Don't ever apologize. For anything. Double down. "Deplorable and traitors to this country! Traitors to the very ideals of equality and opportunity that make America great!" Don't back off and cower in the corner like a fricking victim. Stand up for yourself, goddam it. Say it like you mean it.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1851 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:22 pm

So my wife and I live and are raising our children about six blocks from where the young woman was murdered, armed militia marched down the street, and self proclaimed Nazi's drove caravans of machine gun toting lunatics through Public Housing communities to stoke fear and provoke confrontation.

All of us here in Cville are raw, numb and mourning both the tragic loss of lives as well as more than just a little bit of our innocence.

None of us are quite sure how to take the first steps away from the rubble toward rebuilding our beloved little community.

That is all.

Please tread lightly.
In Rizzo we trust
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1852 » by montestewart » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

AFM wrote:yo dem tiki boyz!! spitting image of George Rockwell

Kinda nervy, that last one. He even picketed Mario's Pizza House in Arlington Town

When I was a little kid, I saw on TV that George Lincoln Rockwell had been shot and killed by one of his own on Wilson Blvd in Arlington, right in front of the Econ-O-Wash. No more ring around the collar!

My mother had to explain to us that all the Nazi's didn't die in WWII, some of them were hanging out in our county, right there on Wilson Blvd. Rockwell didn't have to go far from the office (pictured below, in what is now Ballston) to get shot.

After his death, the American Nazi Party moved it's headquarters to Franklin Street (near Clarendon), even closer to DC, to increase it's lobbying presence.

I don't really see much difference between their white anger and today's white anger, currently angling to substantially broaden its implicit threat of violence in order to achieve its objective of "racial" superiority disguised as "fairness and justice." Still drawing from the same pool of unhinged chumps, only now they have a pipeline to the president.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1853 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:16 pm

We're gettin there guys. Decades of progress are starting to fall apart in front of our eyes. "It can't happen here" is happening here because we all let a piece of garbage get elected President - in some cases joyfully let the piece of garbage get elected. The outfits may have changed, but the rotten pos' haven't.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Political Roundtable Part XIV 

Post#1854 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:10 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:I'm with you. It pisses me off when I think about the friends I had who were addicted to heroin back in the day but couldn't get access to rehab. They were seen as being criminals and/or not worthy of our compassion...or resources.

But now that it's mostly white people who are strung out, it's a "health" problem and our nation's "leaders" are eager to provide the resources to combat it.

Yes, but back then there were plenty of people who *were* concerned about addiction, who *did* fight to get addicts access to rehab, who *didn't* think addicts were criminals, who *had* compassion & acted on their compassion.

Be like them, Zards. It was right then & it's right now.

Back in the day (love saying that), there was a group of us that worked with the Public Defender's office. Just by having an advocate (being in the courtroom) we were able to reduce or waive sentences and get them in rehab programs - other than feeling good the additional benefit is that it pissed the DA off :)

If you are in Maryland:
http://www.opd.state.md.us/AboutOPD/Careers.aspx

Virginia:
http://www.virginianavigator.org/program/26734/public-defender-state-office

And of course - no way to figure out DC.

The person that ran the volunteers in the group where I volunteered had a son that was "rescued". They did some really great work - they PD was completely overstaffed but this women made sure they had new workers.

Okay - my two cents on that... easy to whine but you can make a difference if you want to - brick by brick.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1855 » by dckingsfan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:26 am

Wizardspride wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

She screwed the pooch on that one - didn't she say "1/2"? Still (Please Use More Appropriate Word) from a political point of view.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1856 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 am

Ok, I've asked & asked -- now I'm going to ask again.

Where is nate in this discussion?

I don't think you get to be a vociferous Donald Trump supporter, to have a photoshopped cloud image of his profile as your avatar (talk about hero worship!), to proclaim him smarter than his opponents, 2 steps ahead of them, & to take a public position on intellectual inequality among the (so-called) races, and then remain silent on events of the kind we've seen in Charlottesville the last several days (not to mention silent on the White House response to those events).

Or, I guess I am forced to say, if a person does remain silent, that I can't see any inference to draw except that he is a supporter of these groups (as is nate's or anyone's rights) & that he also approves of what we've just witnessed them doing. That he approves of explicit, conscious Nazism & even of the instances of violence.

I can't & wouldn't say this of nate; that would imply that I knew it to be true, which I don't. Yet, absent some kind of statement from nate, I can't see another inference to draw. Am I wrong? More importantly, will we hear from nate on the subject?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#1857 » by JWizmentality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 am

Thought better of it.
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#1858 » by JWizmentality » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 am

Right now I'm like...

Around the country, bring them all down!!! :rock: :clap: :rofl:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1859 » by Wizardspride » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:37 am

dckingsfan wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

She screwed the pooch on that one - didn't she say "1/2"? Still (Please Use More Appropriate Word) from a political point of view.

If you look at various polls you'd be shocked (or perhaps not) at some of the things a certain segment of Trump voters believe.

And yes, it REALLY was about 1/2.

I know it's something you've been pushing against for awhile now, but unfortunately it's true.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1860 » by gtn130 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:06 am

payitforward wrote:Ok, I've asked & asked -- now I'm going to ask again.

Where is nate in this discussion?

I don't think you get to be a vociferous Donald Trump supporter, to have a photoshopped cloud image of his profile as your avatar (talk about hero worship!), to proclaim him smarter than his opponents, 2 steps ahead of them, & to take a public position on intellectual inequality among the (so-called) races, and then remain silent on events of the kind we've seen in Charlottesville the last several days (not to mention silent on the White House response to those events).

Or, I guess I am forced to say, if a person does remain silent, that I can't see any inference to draw except that he is a supporter of these groups (as is nate's or anyone's rights) & that he also approves of what we've just witnessed them doing. That he approves of explicit, conscious Nazism & even of the instances of violence.

I can't & wouldn't say this of nate; that would imply that I knew it to be true, which I don't. Yet, absent some kind of statement from nate, I can't see another inference to draw. Am I wrong? More importantly, will we hear from nate on the subject?

Was literally just about to post asking about Nate. Dude straight up disappeared from this thread.

Return to Washington Wizards