ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,400
And1: 10,669
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1901 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:23 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:While we wallow in the Wiz problems, it's nice to find an ex-Wiz off to a terrible start - Kelly Oubr has missed all 17 of his 3 point attempts and is shooting 17.5% from the field overall. He's rebounding really well, but he's also got a lot of turnovers.


When I see guys completely lose their shot like that, it makes me think there's a flaw in their practice habits. Not questioning his work ethic b/c I don't know it personally but there's a huge difference b/w just 'getting up shots' and building muscle memory through repetition. Whatever the case may be he shouldn't be this bad.

Oubre has anxiety issues. In his final season here, he had a bout of anxiety that coincided with a total collapse of his 3P accuracy.

Basically, I think it's mental. I don't know enough about anxiety issues to know whether it's reasonable to expect a player to get over them and become consistent.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 42,543
And1: 7,865
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1902 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:40 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:While we wallow in the Wiz problems, it's nice to find an ex-Wiz off to a terrible start - Kelly Oubr has missed all 17 of his 3 point attempts and is shooting 17.5% from the field overall. He's rebounding really well, but he's also got a lot of turnovers.


When I see guys completely lose their shot like that, it makes me think there's a flaw in their practice habits. Not questioning his work ethic b/c I don't know it personally but there's a huge difference b/w just 'getting up shots' and building muscle memory through repetition. Whatever the case may be he shouldn't be this bad.

Oubre has anxiety issues. In his final season here, he had a bout of anxiety that coincided with a total collapse of his 3P accuracy.

Basically, I think it's mental. I don't know enough about anxiety issues to know whether it's reasonable to expect a player to get over them and become consistent.

If it is anxiety issues, I take back what I said - hopefully he gets help for that - making about 15 mil a year should help in that regard - though money doesn't solve every problem.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,400
And1: 10,669
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1903 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:56 am

Jokic is having another ridiculous game where he gets a triple double without even looking like he is trying.

He currently has 19 points, 15 assists, 10 rebounds, 3 steals and a block in 31 minutes at the end of the 3rd. He has only missed 3 shots. The game is just too easy for him. He should start playing left handed just for the challenge.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 11,324
And1: 4,124
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1904 » by FAH1223 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:47 am

I wish we had a Gary Trent...
Image
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 46,830
And1: 5,833
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1905 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am

closg00 wrote:3-0:
Cavs
Orlando (*2 W's vs the Wizards)
Indiana



No Kevin Love (or Tristan Thompson). Love and Blake Griffin are in Westbrook level decline.

Finally, Larry Nance Jr is getting major playing time.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,400
And1: 10,669
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1906 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:13 pm

nate33 wrote:Jokic is having another ridiculous game where he gets a triple double without even looking like he is trying.

He currently has 19 points, 15 assists, 10 rebounds, 3 steals and a block in 31 minutes at the end of the 3rd. He has only missed 3 shots. The game is just too easy for him. He should start playing left handed just for the challenge.

He finished with 19 points, 18 assists, 12 boards, 3 steals and a block (3 turnovers) in 34 minutes. He missed only 3 shots. He was +20 when on the court. Denver was -7 when he sat.

18 assists for a center is insane!
User avatar
Dark Faze
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,688
And1: 1,595
Joined: Dec 27, 2008

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1907 » by Dark Faze » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:32 am

Wall with actual slashing and 3pt shot.

sigh
EDC10
Ballboy
Posts: 18
And1: 22
Joined: Dec 30, 2020
         

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1908 » by EDC10 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:33 am

Maybe its early and no real training camp or preseason is affecting things, but I have to say the quality of play in the NBA has really gone down hill in the last 5 years.

No kind of offensive sets being run, everybody on the court has the green light to shoot the three, and no physicality on defense. Their use to be a lot of diversity among teams and styles of play but once the Warriors won a championship, the entire league inherited that style of play.

Difference is the Warriors actually played great team ball, similar to that Spurs team from 2014. Now its a lot of pick n roll, contested jumpshots and isolation.
Its hard to watch honestly.
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,400
And1: 10,669
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1909 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:36 am

I just noticed that Jokic is averaging 24.5 points, 11.5 boards, and 13.5 assists with a TS% of .704 through 4 games.
badinage
Senior
Posts: 736
And1: 95
Joined: May 09, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1910 » by badinage » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:03 am

EDC10 wrote:Maybe its early and no real training camp or preseason is affecting things, but I have to say the quality of play in the NBA has really gone down hill in the last 5 years.

No kind of offensive sets being run, everybody on the court has the green light to shoot the three, and no physicality on defense. Their use to be a lot of diversity among teams and styles of play but once the Warriors won a championship, the entire league inherited that style of play.

Difference is the Warriors actually played great team ball, similar to that Spurs team from 2014. Now its a lot of pick n roll, contested jumpshots and isolation.
Its hard to watch honestly.


So true.

These team execs are like corporate execs. Like nearly all organization heads. No imagination. Trend-humpers. All they know to do, is to copy. Without rhyme or reason. If ever someone says the phrase “best practices” to you, run screaming. Come to think of it, Ted Leonsis talks this way. Oy.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,038
And1: 2,734
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1911 » by closg00 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:44 pm

Fun stuff, dunno how Young to Collins was not #1
The Wizards finally get a draft steal in Deni Avdija
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,400
And1: 10,669
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1912 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:53 pm

closg00 wrote:Fun stuff, dunno how Young to Collins was not #1

That Young/Collins alley-oop was amazing.

Doncic going to work on Adebayo was really impressive too. How is it possible for a guy that young to be so skilled?
User avatar
Kanyewest
General Manager
Posts: 8,065
And1: 1,485
Joined: Jul 05, 2004

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1913 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:48 pm

nate33 wrote:I just noticed that Jokic is averaging 24.5 points, 11.5 boards, and 13.5 assists with a TS% of .704 through 4 games.


Crazy that Jokic and Westbrook are a combined 1-8 this season.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,038
And1: 2,734
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1914 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:46 pm

Dunno how they arrive at their rankings, it appears heavily weighted towards dunks. The degree of difficulty in making the basket is much more interesting to me than being able to dunk on someone. John has a crazy make @ #5, and Trae Young once-again does some crazy sh_!t with his body.
The Wizards finally get a draft steal in Deni Avdija
User avatar
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
Posts: 57,400
And1: 10,669
Joined: Oct 28, 2002

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1915 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:16 pm

Steph Curry with 62 points:



10/15 from 2PT range
8/16 from 3
18/19 from the line
.788 TS%
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,038
And1: 2,734
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1916 » by closg00 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:48 pm

WOW, didn’t see that Curry dropped 62
The Wizards finally get a draft steal in Deni Avdija
User avatar
tontoz
RealGM
Posts: 17,102
And1: 2,638
Joined: Apr 11, 2005

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1917 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:08 pm

Apparently Dame took a shot at Curry prior to the game

Damian Lillard On Steph Curry’s Struggles: “He’s Seeing That It’s Tough To Get Those Quality Looks Right Now… It’s Different Than What It’s Looked Like The Last 4-5 Years.”


https://fadeawayworld.net/2021/01/02/damian-lillard-on-steph-currys-struggles-hes-seeing-that-its-tough-to-get-those-quality-looks-right-now-its-different-than-what-its-looked-like-the-last-4-5-years/

and Curry just merked him. :lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,038
And1: 2,734
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1918 » by closg00 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:54 pm

KO has shaken-off his slump: 25 min 18pts 6-13 FG 4-6 3-pointers +21
https://www.nba.com/game/sac-vs-gsw-0022000101/box-score#box-score
The Wizards finally get a draft steal in Deni Avdija
User avatar
J-Ves
Starter
Posts: 2,446
And1: 823
Joined: May 16, 2012
 

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1919 » by J-Ves » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:08 am

Looks like the Kyrie and the Nets are taking their frustrations out on the Jazz. After 1 quarter it's 35-14, Kyrie is a perfect 7-7 from the field including 4-4 from three for 18 points. We dodged a bullet :clap:
User avatar
long suffrin' boulez fan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,077
And1: 2,159
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: Just above Ted's double bottom line
       

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#1920 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:11 am

J-Ves wrote:Looks like the Kyrie and the Nets are taking their frustrations out on the Jazz. After 1 quarter it's 35-14, Kyrie is a perfect 7-7 from the field including 4-4 from three for 18 points. We dodged a bullet :clap:


We were the bullet
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards