Post#401 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 5, 2017 1:55 am

Read on Twitter
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#402 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 5, 2017 2:04 pm

No idea why they don't do 2-3-2 format in the Finals.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#403 » by closg00 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 12:39 pm

I wonder what the NBA will do about the Super Team if his finals series is a laugher.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#404 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:18 pm

closg00 wrote:I wonder what the NBA will do about the Super Team if his finals series is a laugher.

Bucket! Bucket!
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#405 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:36 pm

closg00 wrote:I wonder what the NBA will do about the Super Team if his finals series is a laugher.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Nothing... We can talk all day about removing the Max contracts or putting in hard cap. But this situation came about because the players union didnt want cap smoothing. So we get a 30%+ increase from last year to this year, 8% increase next year, and less than 1% the following year... what a joke
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#406 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jun 6, 2017 4:29 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Nothing... We can talk all day about removing the Max contracts or putting in hard cap. But this situation came about because the players union didnt want cap smoothing. So we get a 30%+ increase from last year to this year, 8% increase next year, and less than 1% the following year... what a joke

To be fair, the Union apparently had their own financial guys look over the cap smoothing proposed by the league and came to the conclusion that, collectively, the league's proposal actually favored the owners by a few hundred million. I don't know all the details of why that would be, but there are a few ways it's possible, such as raises to free agents being smaller in subsequent years as a % of a smaller number, even though the actual numbers overall were the same in year one, and there are a few other ways it's possible, too. But the reality is that the owners played that card banking on the public not being willing to see past the idea that the money was all equal and the players were the ones foolishly rejecting it, and hoping that said public pressure along with the players who didn't stand to hit free agency and didn't have many years left would cause enough momentum for them to save themselves those few hundred extra million, but the player's union didn't take it.

So this is more than just the players flat out rejecting cap smoothing. It's the failure of both sides to come to a mutually agreed upon cap smoothing. Although for my own part, I tend to place more blame on the owners overall, because it really isn't on the players to worry about parity, and it isn't them trying to market parity specifically, so the fact that the owners apparently didn't even put forward a financially neutral cap smoothing proposal suggests to me that they were far more interested in the $$$ that they could save than they were in any potential parity issues, which tends to always be the case. Really, the owners' words have always been about parity, but their actions in terms of what they have fought for and proposed suggest they really aren't interested in any sense of parity at all beyond using it as a tool to leverage public support.
Bucket! Bucket!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#407 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:27 am

Read on Twitter
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Re: RE: Re: NBA Games Discussion Thread - Part 4 

Post#408 » by Benjammin » Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:59 am

Rafael122 wrote:No idea why they don't do 2-3-2 format in the Finals.

They did that for several years. I don't know that it ever helped the team getting the three games at home in a row, but it seems unfair to the team with the better record.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#409 » by tontoz » Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:49 pm

Benjammin wrote:

They did that for several years. I don't know that it ever helped the team getting the three games at home in a row, but it seems unfair to the team with the better record.

I am sure that is why they changed it. After 5 games the team with the worse record has had more home games. That just doesn't make sense.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#410 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 2:52 pm

tontoz wrote:
Benjammin wrote:

I am sure that is why they changed it. After 5 games the team with the worse record has had more home games. That just doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking about more of the schedule. If this goes back to Golden State, that means you have to wait two days. Heck, Game 3 was Sunday, and Game 4 was last night. The playoffs are already long enough as it is, just play every other day man...
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#411 » by tontoz » Thu Jun 8, 2017 3:18 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
tontoz wrote:
Benjammin wrote:They did that for several years. I don't know that it ever helped the team getting the three games at home in a row, but it seems unfair to the team with the better record.

I'm thinking about more of the schedule. If this goes back to Golden State, that means you have to wait two days. Heck, Game 3 was Sunday, and Game 4 was last night. The playoffs are already long enough as it is, just play every other day man...

They can play every other day if they want to regardless of what the format is. They do it all the time in the regular season.

But if the road team wins one of the first two games they can potentially clinch the series at home in game 5 playing 3 home games compared to 2 for the team with the better record. That doesn't make sense.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#412 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:17 am

OK KD. You got that out of your system. Now come home to the ones who loved you all along.
In Rizzo we trust
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#413 » by verbal8 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:OK KD. You got that out of your system. Now come home to the ones who loved you all along.

He did mention the DC area soon after the game :)

What is scary about the Warriors is not only the talent they accumulated, but also how well they seem to fit.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#414 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Going to be very interesting what happens to Cleveland and Golden State the next 3-4 years.

Cleveland: Lebron is getting older, their books are absolute crap. They have no draft picks and not much in the way of trade assets unless they move Kevin Love.

Golden State: Unless the owners are willing to pay the tax, there's no way they will keep this team together over the next 5 years. Sure, there are players who would ring chase, but Livingston is gone. Iggy is 33 and you're giving him MLE money at the down swing of his career. They're the team to beat obviously, but depth is going to be an issue sooner or later and quite frankly, I think Klay leaves in 2 years.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#415 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Going to be very interesting what happens to Cleveland and Golden State the next 3-4 years.

Cleveland: Lebron is getting older, their books are absolute crap. They have no draft picks and not much in the way of trade assets unless they move Kevin Love.

Golden State: Unless the owners are willing to pay the tax, there's no way they will keep this team together over the next 5 years. Sure, there are players who would ring chase, but Livingston is gone. Iggy is 33 and you're giving him MLE money at the down swing of his career. They're the team to beat obviously, but depth is going to be an issue sooner or later and quite frankly, I think Klay leaves in 2 years.

LeBron's decline is evident with his defense. I know he played big minutes but he was consistently flat footed and not rotating.

I also think Klay is the most likely to leave in 2019. He'll be 29 and still in his prime, he can go to a team and be the guy...
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#416 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:03 pm

Every one go look at the lineup numbers of the death lineup in the finals. Insane. Zaza/West had no place being in any of those games.

The wizards NEED to transition to full time small ball going forward. Wall-Beal-Oubre-Porter. Playing 4 bigs for half of the season was asinine. Not even playing our lineup of mild discomfort in the playoffs was disgraceful.

The Kerr adjustment to run 1-3 curry Durant pick and rolls with the death lineup was unstoppable. Scott Brooks never made that adjustment in OKC.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#417 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Going to be very interesting what happens to Cleveland and Golden State the next 3-4 years.

LeBron's decline is evident with his defense. I know he played big minutes but he was consistently flat footed and not rotating.

I also think Klay is the most likely to leave in 2019. He'll be 29 and still in his prime, he can go to a team and be the guy...

I don't think Lebron's inconsistent defense was due to age-related decline. It was merely fatigue and him pacing himself. If you play 46 minutes as the team's primary offensive threat, you are going to have to sacrifice some at the other end of the floor. Overall, I feel that Lebron is as good as he has ever been. This may have been his most dominating postseason ever.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#418 » by NatP4 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:11 pm

A lot of the non rotations that people were flipping **** about were just Cleveland players not wanting to leave shooters. Lebron was dominant. They just didn't have the firepower to really compete.

And Lue really like Deron Williams and Kyle Korver LOL
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#419 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:37 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't think Lebron's inconsistent defense was due to age-related decline. It was merely fatigue and him pacing himself. If you play 46 minutes as the team's primary offensive threat, you are going to have to sacrifice some at the other end of the floor. Overall, I feel that Lebron is as good as he has ever been. This may have been his most dominating postseason ever.

Yeah, I personally thought his defense really only dropped off in the finals - he was as dominant and ever and arguably moreso against the Pacers (where he coasted), Raptors and Celtics. Against the Warriors, I got the impression that he realized very quickly the Cavs were outclassed and decided more to focus more on offense, focusing on appearance where the results weren't in doubt. He really didn't want to get massively statistically outdone by Durant and/or Curry, and I can understand that given the circumstances. I think these playoffs were the best I've ever seen Lebron. If the Warriors weren't so historically stacked, Lebron would be stacking rings the way Jordan did at this point.
Bucket! Bucket!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#420 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:48 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:I don't think Lebron's inconsistent defense was due to age-related decline. It was merely fatigue and him pacing himself. If you play 46 minutes as the team's primary offensive threat, you are going to have to sacrifice some at the other end of the floor. Overall, I feel that Lebron is as good as he has ever been. This may have been his most dominating postseason ever.

Yeah, I personally thought his defense really only dropped off in the finals - he was as dominant and ever and arguably moreso against the Pacers (where he coasted), Raptors and Celtics. Against the Warriors, I got the impression that he realized very quickly the Cavs were outclassed and decided more to focus more on offense, focusing on appearance where the results weren't in doubt. He really didn't want to get massively statistically outdone by Durant and/or Curry, and I can understand that given the circumstances. I think these playoffs were the best I've ever seen Lebron. If the Warriors weren't so historically stacked, Lebron would be stacking rings the way Jordan did at this point.

True, LeBron's defense wasn't great in the finals. I don't think teams like the Raptors/Celtics could expose LeBron's defense as much due to their lack of offense after their all star point guards went down.

I don't think that it is a given that LeBron would necessarily have won this year, even though he was great and the Cavs chances would increase. The Warriors would have been pretty formidable without Durant, Harrison Barnes would have been worse but not enough for me to completely write off Golden State. Plus if San Antonio was actually healthy, they could have given Cleveland a run for their money.

Return to Washington Wizards